Why CM Punk Is Chris Jericho In The Flesh

fiasco28

WCW TV TITLE HOLDER
first off just wanna say, this is like my first thread in 3 years, so go lightly, been on a hiatus like The Rock.. anyways i been observing this whole CM PUNK mantra and roller coaster( and what a ride its been might most of us add) i been watching how he's evolve, how he talks, his whole persona, how he carries himself and goes about things in the ring and outside of it. the shock waves he has created and what he has created period is telling me something, i think it might be telling us all something that we might not realize yet

that CM PUNK is the 2nd coming of Chris Jericho..... ive notice things that are deja vu of the great Jericho.. the way Jericho always came at HHH, with the whole (banging the boss's daughter) implying that HHH, was only successful because of that, then we observe CM PUNK doing the same thing and taking it a step further. now when Jericho did it, it was big at the time he was the only one who did it at the time, fast forward years later, and we got PUNK doing it, and it has become big at this time.

Jericho has always been outspoken, and has always had a problem with how HHH is and was, how Vince and things are period, and with things being tailored made for only people like Cena, Rock, Austin, HHH, etc... and HHH has always had a big time problem and no respect for Jericho, not acknowledging Jericho for being the great ring performer as he is, because of not being muscle bound or 6'4. when HHH dissed PUNK for being skinny and fat, and not wanting to acknowledge him or respect him, it reminded how he was towards Jericho.

and lets face it.... PUNK winning the title at money in the bank, in Chicago was as captivating and big as when Jericho beat Austin and Rock in one night to become the Undisputed Champ.. they were both big time shockers and just so similar as to how big of impact it was..

in my opinion, HHH couldnt bare fact of Jericho being at the top for any period of time, because of vein views as i mention.. and i now he's like this towards PUNK in the same exact way.. and also in my opinion, i feel that Jericho always wanted to save us from the typical muscle bound babyface poster boy wrestler, CM PUNK is the same exact way

what are your thoughts?

can you please let CM Punk be CM Punk? He is not Chris Jericho, he's not Steve Austin, he's not Roddy Piper, he's CM Punk. Yes, Punk is a smaller wrestler just like Y2J but so is Shawn Michaels, are they all the same person?! NO.

I don't mean to be rude but it really pisses me off when people say someone is "another version" of someone else when they are writing their own chapter in history.

I agree with the above.
Also, you are sort of referring to Jericho as deceased. He is not dead neither literally nor career wise. He will be back in WWE no doubt. In what capacity will be determined.

Nope he's CM Punk, nobody else. They are 2 different performers and even though they have a few similarities, they don't remind me of each other or anything

I agree with the others. Jericho is Jericho and Punk is Punk. Plus if you want to credit someone with making a name for themselves its not wise to imply that they're the same as someone else. i doubt Jericho looks back at decades of wrestling and sees it as an equivalent of two months worth of one shoot promo and two ppv title matches.

Actually I agree with everyone else here bud. I don't see much resemblance in Y2J and Punk at all, outside of them both being pretty damn good in the ring and the "Best in the World" slogan.

As great as Jericho is, he never has had a storyline as tailor made and dramatic as this thing has been with Punk. Jericho has not had a WWE storyline that I can remember that has been so unpredictable as this ordeal with Punk has been.

And this has happened for Punk in an era of the internet that is way stronger than it was when Y2J debuted with the WWE. Don't get me wrong, I am taking NOTHING away from Chris Jericho. The man is one helluva performer and the WWE will always be worse without his presence but this thing with Punk is hot, it is exciting and it is Punk being a rebel WITH A CAUSE. The voice of the voiceless is one of the best storyline(gimmick) that I can remember in a long long time. It makes US the "smarky" fans feel important and relevant, like we are FINALLY heard and it makes for good tv. Jericho has NEVER had anything like this.

Jericho also isn't that small. Sure he is shorter than Matt Morgan but he is built pretty good. He has much more of a muscle build than Punk does. I also agree with most that CM Punk is CM Punk, he is NOT Stone Cold Steve Austin, he doesn't even drink beer. He is not a new version of HHH or anyone for that matter.

So the only real similarity he has with Jericho is that they are both great performers on the mic and in the ring.

So don't over think it my friend, just enjoy a storyline that we can't easily predict for once and don't take any credit away from CM Punk.

Actually I agree with everyone else here bud. I don't see much resemblance in Y2J and Punk at all, outside of them both being pretty damn good in the ring and the "Best in the World" slogan.

As great as Jericho is, he never has had a storyline as tailor made and dramatic as this thing has been with Punk. Jericho has not had a WWE storyline that I can remember that has been so unpredictable as this ordeal with Punk has been.

And this has happened for Punk in an era of the internet that is way stronger than it was when Y2J debuted with the WWE. Don't get me wrong, I am taking NOTHING away from Chris Jericho. The man is one helluva performer and the WWE will always be worse without his presence but this thing with Punk is hot, it is exciting and it is Punk being a rebel WITH A CAUSE. The voice of the voiceless is one of the best storyline(gimmick) that I can remember in a long long time. It makes US the "smarky" fans feel important and relevant, like we are FINALLY heard and it makes for good tv. Jericho has NEVER had anything like this.

Jericho also isn't that small. Sure he is shorter than Matt Morgan but he is built pretty good. He has much more of a muscle build than Punk does. I also agree with most that CM Punk is CM Punk, he is NOT Stone Cold Steve Austin, he doesn't even drink beer. He is not a new version of HHH or anyone for that matter.

So the only real similarity he has with Jericho is that they are both great performers on the mic and in the ring.

So don't over think it my friend, just enjoy a storyline that we can't easily predict for once and don't take any credit away from CM Punk.

I think i did overthink it for the most part, for some reason all of this has just been mostly reminding me of Jericho kinda of thing, but yea this thing with Punk is hot with him being a rebel and a voice of the voiceless, i do still feel that Jericho was the same in that aspect of it.. but when i think about it in your way, yea its actually bigger the way Punk is doing and therefore it is Punk being Punk and not Jericho

bonus fact- thanks for not being so hasty like the others on here above, tisk tisk

nah bud im not gonna be hasty about it, you love wrestling, I love wrestling. Its a forum and we are all here to bounce things off of each other and talk wrestling.

Where I disagree with you is Jericho really was never the voice of the voiceless so to speak. He always acted completely better than all of us as fans, where this new CM Punk is defending us as fans and trying to bring the "change" that "we want" where as Jericho was always the kinda heel where he stuck his chin up at us and basically made us out to be the ones that made the wrestling world suck lol. It was his world and we were living in it.

I think you are relating them both because they both are pretty fuckin great and they tell us about it. And the way they tell us about it is kinda similar only now CM Punk is telling us how great he is and he wants to use that greatness to give US what WE want.

So basically he'll be a midcarder for life who'll only get a World title when the roster is dry? I don't see a damn thing in CM Punk that would remind me of either incarnation of Chris Jericho. At all. If he's supposed to be the second coming of the guy because he's "sticking it" to HHH, then yeah. I guess there are parallels. Both had lousy runs as Undisputed Champions. Now we just have to wait for Triple H to flatline CM Punk and it's all there.

Really. When will people learn not to draw parallels? Especially such ridiculous ones?

I agree with most people here. Punk is Punk. Yeah you can compare him to SCSA, Jericho, and anybody else but let Punk isn't the second coming of anybody hes the first CM Punk.

No he's really not. Jericho was more joking and poking fun at people and thinking he was the greatest thing ever and thought everyone thought he was awesome. Jericho was more like the all state quarterback. CM Punk isn't as joking, isn't poking fun, he's trying to rip the hearts out of the people he thinks are holding him down, he doesn't think anyone believes in him. Punk is more like the "bad boy" kid in Breakfast Club.

They aren't at all the same. Maybe some of the stuff they say is similar, but the way they say it isn't the same and their reasons and characters aren't the same.

Yea he is the so called "next coming" of Jericho, if you can't see this then you have worse foresight than Ben Franklin before he invented Bifocals. A rivalry between Y2J and CMP is in the making and it's quite obvious. Jericho used to refer to himself as "The Best in the World at what I do" and now Punk with "The Best in the World". If you listen to recent interviews you can tell there's tension between the two. Jericho makes a few cheap remarks if not hasty, in this new real wrestling world that the WWE has brought into play, this entitles a feud. Jericho WILL return, and when he does do you think he's gonna turn his cheek while his gimmick, say what I want do what i want this is my show RAW is Jericho, is being utilized by Punk? No way in hell. If you can't agree that Punk is the second coming or current replacement for Jericho, wait for the feud and Jericho will accuse Punk of everything making it clear to you. NOT A SPOILER, just an observation.

first off just wanna say, this is like my first thread in 3 years, so go lightly, been on a hiatus like The Rock.. anyways i been observing this whole CM PUNK mantra and roller coaster( and what a ride its been might most of us add) i been watching how he's evolve, how he talks, his whole persona, how he carries himself and goes about things in the ring and outside of it. the shock waves he has created and what he has created period is telling me something, i think it might be telling us all something that we might not realize yet

that CM PUNK is the 2nd coming of Chris Jericho..... ive notice things that are deja vu of the great Jericho.. the way Jericho always came at HHH, with the whole (banging the boss's daughter) implying that HHH, was only successful because of that, then we observe CM PUNK doing the same thing and taking it a step further. now when Jericho did it, it was big at the time he was the only one who did it at the time, fast forward years later, and we got PUNK doing it, and it has become big at this time.

Jericho has always been outspoken, and has always had a problem with how HHH is and was, how Vince and things are period, and with things being tailored made for only people like Cena, Rock, Austin, HHH, etc... and HHH has always had a big time problem and no respect for Jericho, not acknowledging Jericho for being the great ring performer as he is, because of not being muscle bound or 6'4. when HHH dissed PUNK for being skinny and fat, and not wanting to acknowledge him or respect him, it reminded how he was towards Jericho.

and lets face it.... PUNK winning the title at money in the bank, in Chicago was as captivating and big as when Jericho beat Austin and Rock in one night to become the Undisputed Champ.. they were both big time shockers and just so similar as to how big of impact it was..

in my opinion, HHH couldnt bare fact of Jericho being at the top for any period of time, because of vein views as i mention.. and i now he's like this towards PUNK in the same exact way.. and also in my opinion, i feel that Jericho always wanted to save us from the typical muscle bound babyface poster boy wrestler, CM PUNK is the same exact way

what are your thoughts?
There are many similarities. Both are heels who earn fans because of their ability to entertain(or because they feud with a face the fans hate). However,there are also many differences. How many times have you seen CM Punk keep jobbing out to main eventers? How many times have you seen Jericho pin someone clean to win a belt as a heel?

CM Punk should be known as CM Punk.
I love Jericho to death, he is one of my favourite wrestlers of all time, probably my favourite, but he is no CM Punk.
CM Punk is probably my favourite wrestler at the moment. Hes hot as hell and he will definetly be in the spotlight for the rest of his career, but hes no Chris Jericho.
The point im trying to make is that they both are stellar talents, and they do have some similarities, but neither should be compared to one another because they both have built and for Punk is still buildiing on their own completely seperate legacies.

CM PUNK is his own character. His look is different and his has awesome mic skills. Jericho also has awesome mic skills, but they both talk in another tone.

Their body types are also different. To be honest, Punks body is made for fighting. Anyone else notice how crazy his kicks, knees, punches, chops and other strikes look so painfull. I could say this without doubt, that Punk has the best knees, kicks and strikes in the historyof the buissness. Jericho is more of a grappler and a high flyer. No offense to Jericho (and I know he kicked that enormously overhyped Goldbergs ass) but Punk's ring skills are more realistic than anyone else in the history of the wwe. Punk has amazing submission skills, his strikes are phenomanal and the rest of his skills are awesome.

Jericho was more joking and poking fun at people and thinking he was the greatest thing ever and thought everyone thought he was awesome.

When it's put that way, the point is well taken. Yes, the "new" Punk is an original, ground-breaking character but it might be said that Chris Jericho was the prototype of what Punk has become. Before Jericho, I can't recall anyone who (for storyline purposes) went after some of the people and institutions in pro wrestling, seemingly biting the hand that fed him. Punk has taken it to a new level, but the roots of what he is may have started with Jericho's on-air character, at least in part.

Y'know, it's so easy to mix up storyline stuff from real life. Yesterday, I was reading how Punk was saying he received all kinds of offers to work for other wrestling organizations during the time he was separated from WWE. I suppose it's possible that other companies were contacting him, but I believe he was never actually free to negotiate with them; that his extension with WWE was signed and sealed well before he actually "left." The extremely brief amount of time he was gone supports that contention.

If you see it that way, it's also possible to understand this supposed link to Chris Jericho, because Y2J truly did leave the company, only to come back when he felt like it. I'm not saying what Jericho did had anything to do with what Punk did, but this topic is based on similarities between the two men.....and this is one of them.

Comparing yourself to the Rock makes you look like a jackass. e_e

Anyways, yes CM Punk has a lot of Jericho elements. He's a small guy, a technical wrestler, and they've had some gimmick similarities. Saying that he's some "Jericho Second-Coming" is bullshit. His current success has very little similarity to Jericho. Stephanie's always been one of the easiest ways to make fun of Triple H. Everyone's done it. Jericho just did it frequently.

Punk's current rebel gimmick is something Jericho hasn't done, and he's certainly never been this heavy of a face before. CM Punk is on his way to being one of the company's #2 face. Comparing Punk's win to Jericho's Undisputed Title Victory is just bullshit. Jericho wasn't face when he beat them. CM Punk was at MITB. Was it exciting? Sure, lots of title victories are. But you're just pulling that out of your ass. CM Punk isn't trying to "Save Us" from big guys. He's trying to be a rebel, and he's adding a bit of reality to the product to make it seem edgier.

CM Punk is one of the central figures in the hottest storyline in the WWE at the moment.

The question is, when has Chris Jericho ever been the hottest thing in the WWE at any given point of time? The answer is, never. Even his much vaunted undisputed title victory is considered mostly a fluke, both in kayfabe and in non kayfabe terms. He took a total of five men to beat Rock and Austin. Now I have no problem with heels winning via cheating but the fact is that even after that, nobody ever took him seriously as a heel. It could be argued that even at that point, guys like Booker T and Angle were more over as heels than him.

Chris has always been a midcarder who has gotten the title when no one else has been around. The manner in which Punk has been pushed suggests that WWE want him to be a much greater force than Jericho ever was. Punk is easily the second or third best wrestler on the roster, something which Chris never was.

People talk about how Punk is overrated by the IWC. What about Jericho? Smarks think that he is doing everyone a favor by being the guy that elevates people. The truth of the matter is Chris Jericho would not have existed in this business had he never done that. He cannot be a draw and if he was a bitch as well, he would have been shown the door long ago.

CM Punk may not become another Steve Austin or something but I have a feeling that he will end up far ahead of Chris Jericho.

I think WWE is making, or trying to make, CM Punk the next Jericho. They see when something works,and they see what makes money. Since Jericho did both of that by being a rebel, WWE is probably trying to make Punk the next Jericho.

I think WWE is making, or trying to make, CM Punk the next Jericho. They see when something works,and they see what makes money. Since Jericho did both of that by being a rebel, WWE is probably trying to make Punk the next Jericho.

Right. Because Jericho made so much money and was just such a rebel and worked so well. People want Punk to be like Jericho but they do even realize how small Jericho really was in the WWE.

Punk is Punk, Jericho is Jericho. Punk is more outspoken than Jericho. Enough said. Height is really the only thing I see they have in common. That's pretty much it- oh and the fact that they're both amazing wrestlers

A Punk/Jericho rivalry would be pretty awesome - the promos, the matches and everything would just be great and if the title was in the mix too that would add a little bit more spice to it too. I just wonder how they would bring back Jericho - as a heel claiming that Punk has ripped off his whole idea and that he is a just a poor man's Jericho. It'd be a good start to the rivarly anyway as Punk could just say he doesn't want to be anything like Jericho, he just wants to be himself.

You make a good point, there are lots of similarities to their characters and the events they have been involved in. Both are master craftsmen at their work, and deserve every bit of credit (jericho and punk are # 1 and 2 on my personal fav list). But at the same time they are different. Both have a different style in the ring, and different character (y2j plays a character differently every time, punk plays more a version of himself). As much as I would like to see Y2J make another run, it doesnt look promising in the near future with his schedule, and with punk most likely sticking around for a while, im glad to see the company has a great mic master to use. Without both, the E would have been in dire needs for interesting people on the mic

If you go back and watch Chris Jerichos debut you'll really see the similarities. The gist of that promo was basically "you people deserve better than the crap you're getting, I'm here to entertain you and shake things up". I think its really working better for Punk because more people are really fed up with what the WWE has been doing whereas when Jericho debuted the product was significantly better than it is now, IMO.

CM Punk may not become another Steve Austin or something but I have a feeling that he will end up far ahead of Chris Jericho.

No way CM Punk will go further in the biz, Jericho has gone further than most give him credit for. First ever Undisputed WWE Champion. Since Jericho, HHH, Hogan, Taker, Rocky, Lesnar, Punk and Del Rio have all held the Undisputed title but Jericho was first. There are very few things that can be done in this decade that surpass what was done in the last decade. Back in the good ol' day, titles didn't change hands so rapidly. Back then, the World Champion was one to be feared, the greatest wrestler on the roster. It's a whole nutha' story now. Jericho made it so far in the biz because he did it all when it was the right time to do it, now it amounts to a whole lot less than it did. Title reigns used to go for months and months, now we'll be uber lucky if Del Rio remains champ for the next couple weeks let alone a month.

Let me make another point that will better explain how Punk will never overshadow Y2J. Let's compare Hogan and Cena. Hogan, held the title 6 times, Cena almost doubles that with 11. Hogan had 1 tag team title run, with Edge, Cena had 4. Hogan never touched a mid-card title, Cena held the US title 3 times. Cena has won more matches than most HOFers and he's not even half way done. Why will Cena never surpass the Hulkster? Seems like Cena has better accolades right? Well Hogan did it when wrestling had substance. Hogan did it when it really mattered. Title reigns went for half to whole years back when, the WWE is a whole different company now.

Punk will never surpass Jericho, because there is nothing he can do now that can overlook what Jericho has already done. Punk will be the next Y2J and he will do a great job at being a mimic of the Best in the World, but he will never be better, his career will never go further no matter what.

Punk is more outspoken than Jericho.

This is the first that the WWE saw of CM Punk
[YOUTUBE]2QUo0kiu-uQ[/YOUTUBE]

And the first the WWE saw of Y2J
[YOUTUBE]L8WWjm4VEj0[/YOUTUBE]​

Anyone who has followed Y2J and CM Punk should know who's more outspoken. Jericho might just be the most outspoken Superstar in WWE history, might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back