Who would be in ECW now if they decided to axe NXT?

rko57

The Icon
Please hear me out, I was a fan of WWECW (I don't care about the name, I'm talking about the actual wrestling and the show itself). The title was constantly being defended making the champion seem strong (especially when Christian was champion) and there were constantly good matches on the show. Now we all know NXT has been pretty bad since Season 1, and with NXT5 lasting for 27 weeks now, twice as long as the other season, it seems like WWE is at a stalemate and is wondering what to do with it. I know it is very unlikely, but what if WWE decided to bring back ECW again (or at least a show very similar with a different name)?

When ECW ended it had 12 constant wrestlers on the brand, so here is the little game we're going to play: which 12-15 wrestlers would you put on the roster? And to make it interesting you are limited to only putting 3 FCW Wrestlers. And finally who would you build the show around?

My list consists of 14:
1. Ezekiel Jackson (ECW Champion): He was the final champion, so let's bring him back as champion

2. Alex Riley: He needs to be pushed as a face, and with the mid card appearing one week and disappearing the next, he needs to go somewhere that will give him constant in ring action, and he possibly carry the brand to see if he is World Title material

3. Brodus Clay: He started off with a very good push with Del Rio, and fizzled out, and is now squashing people weekly. Let him on his own brand to see if he can be taken as a monster. Could start off facing Ezekiel for the title

4. Darren Young: He was on NXT1, WWE seems to want him on the roster, so lets put him on ECW to see how he can do.

5. Drew McIntyre: This guy can have a rebirth on ECW after being on Superstars since going to RAW. He has potential to be big, and have him carry ECW for a time so he can be taken seriously again

6. Heath Slater: He is about to dissapear on SD, so move him to ECW so he can continue to get work in and hopefully improve

7. Johnny Curtis: He won NXT4, so he should be on this brand to show why he won that competition

8. Michael McGillicuty: Change his name to Henning, and let him live up his familys name and see what he can do on his own

9. Percy Watson: He is apparently loved by the higher ups, but since being eliminated on NXT2 he has gone back to FCW. Bring him to ECW and show us why is liked in the back

10. Seth Rollins: From ROH to FCW, he will eventually be in WWE. Have him start with vignettes, and build up his debut like Punk's in ECW. He can then carry roster after some time and the crowd gets behind him

11. Ted Dibiase Jr: This guy needs to be on ECW and also get a rebirth like McIntyre. A year and a half ago he seemed to be on the rise, and then he disappeared and hasn't fully recovered since then. Let him try on ECW

12. Titus O'Niel: See Darren Young

13. Tyler Reks: He is nowhere to be found, so move him to ECW and lets see how he can do and if he can taken serious

14. William Regal: ECW had a couple veterans last time, and he can be the main one on this new ECW and help out the kids and definitely teach them a thing or two.

15.* Goldust: He would be a possible 15 for me if he were to return to the ring. He could just keep doing what he did last time.

My guys to build the show around: Ezekiel Jackson, Brodus Clay, Drew McIntyre, Seth Rollins, Ted Dibiase Jr, and maybe Michael McGillicuty. Now what do the peeps of WrestleZone think? And please refrain from trashing WWECW. If you were not a fan of it, then you would not care for it to return which means you have no reason to go along with this little game

I'll bite actually on this one. The ECW brand was always one of my favorites as it held more actual wrestling then the "A" show or the "B" show.

1. Sin Cara - Whether it's Mistico or Hunico it doesn't matter. They want to give him a good push, put him on this show and let him build a following.

2. Curt Hawkins - A very talented wrestler who could really put on some good matches with some of the other people I will be mentioning.

3. Trent Berreta - See above.

4. John Morrison - Yes he has a fan following, but hasn't been on much of a roll since coming back from injury. He did very well on ECW before and could do just as well this time around.

5. Johnny Curtis - A good chance to give this kid a chance to work the crowd and get his feet under him.

6. Darren Young - I actually kind of like what they had been doing with him at the beginning of NXT5 with Chavo.

7. Justin Gabriel - He's got a bit of a following already on SD and this could give him a big chance to shine.

8. Santino Marella - The guy has talent, but without Kozlov to tag with I don't see a bright future for him on the Big Two, this could give him something to stay relevant.

9. Drew McIntyre - I'd much rather see him featured more on RAW, but since that isn't happening this would be the best place for him to begin shining.

10. Ted DiBiase Jr. - Could play the role of a Heel vying for the ECW Championship and can go in the ring.

11. Heath Slater - A small program with Gabriel or Sin Cara would work wonders in the ring and may just make him relevant.

12. Brodus Clay - Token big mean heel, much like a Big Booby V or a Mark Henry.

13. Tyson Kidd - Began his career on ECW and I think back on ECW he could really begin building a singles career. Could have some good matches with Gabriel/Sin Cara much like Slater.

14. Alex Riley - Team him with DiBiase if Ted is gonna be a face, or feud him with Ted if Ted is gonna be a heel.

My show would center mainly around the cruiserweight styled wrestlers, giving the show a more unique feel then the other brands. You'd have your middleweight/heavyweight action still going on, but JoMo/Sin Cara/Gabriel/Slater/Hawkins/Berretta/Kidd would be the major focal points. Other ends would see Reks/DiBiase/Riley/Clay/Young/McIntyre in a series of matches. Since there have been a lot of talks around these forums and other areas on the internet about the return of cruiserweights this would be the best place to test the waters.

Yes please! I think NXT is alright, but when it got taken off TV, it lost its purpose. It was suppose to show off new wrestlers. But most of the fans aren't going to watch it now that it's internet only. (I rarely catch it myself) If they brought WWECW, or anything else for that matter, it would help show off Wrestlers I enjoy but never get to see. I'm always okay with more Wrestling. As for the 12 Wrestlers...

From Raw

1. Alex Riley - He would need to go over. Right now, he went from being a top competitor against The Miz to a stand-in opponent in the Vicky/Ziggler/Swagger storyline. Get him somewhere to shine again. And I'm sure he would help bring people over to the show.

2. Drew McIntyre - I really liked when he came in and was 'The Chosen One'. But now, you don't see him except occasionally on Superstars. I wanna see this guy every week.

3. John Morrison - For a couple of reasons. He would draw people to the show. He could help build himself up again. He would be a good Championship holder.

4. Mason Ryan - He would be a good monster for the show. I haven't seen much of him, so I want more.

5. Skip Sheffield - He's still on the roster, so where has he been? This would be THE moment to return. He could be heel or face, and I think he'd fit in perfect.

6. Tyler Reks - His matches with Masters was great. I want to see him really come out and compete against some of these other guys (Tyler Reks vs. Alex Riley)

From Smackdown

1. Brodus Clay - I would only want him on there just to help feud and bring people up. I don't like him that much, but he would be good to fight against.

2. Jinder Mahal - Seriously, I haven't seen much of him yet that has been impressive. Give him a show to shine. I could see him being one of, if not the first, champion of the show.

3. Justin Gabriel - I like this guy. I have since NXT Season 1. I always thought a heel was weird for him. I could watch him wrestle more, and he would get a better chance to work on talking (he does so little). Win/Win.

4. Sheamus - Once again, a great way to bring some views to the show. If you look at it this way, the Face of Raw is Cena, the Face of Smackdown is Orton, then the Face of WWECW would be Sheamus. And he could easily fit that spot.

5. Wade Barrett - Come on, if we got a big face, we gotta have a big heel. He would fit in so well on a new show it hurts. He could face any of these guys on the list in a believable manner.

6. Yoshi Tatsu - I just like the guy. Plus he would add some variety.

Just my thoughts.

I like all of your lists but a lot of the wrestlers you chose are B class guys and that was the problem with ECW last time around. If you want it to look like a real brand you need a few top guys.

1. Randy Orton - He has the perfect attitude for this show. Ever since WrestleMania 24, I've always thought he would make an excellent ECW Champion.

2. Dolph Ziggler - His intensity really impresses me and would help the show's mid card tremendously.

3. & 4. Jimmy & Jey Uso - To help the show's tag division, yes their entrance is about the most entertaining thing about them but hopefully we could watch them develop more.

5. CM Punk - He helped put ECW on the map the first time and would be able to do it again especially with his current gimmick.

6. The Great Khali - Would only work if they brought back his monster heel character.

7. Justin Gabriel - Hopefully his high flying style would add a little excitement to the show.

8. Primo - Either to just be the token jobber or maybe have him develop into an actual mid carder.

9. & 10. Zack Ryder & Curt Hawkins - Now that they both have developed their characters better put them back to where they first started and help the tag division.

11. Kofi Kingston - He would be a great addition to the mid card and maybe even work his way up to the main event.

12. Brodus Clay - Since he spent the whole time he was on S.D. as Alberto Del Rio's lackey, this would be a good time for him to make his own mark.

13. William Regal - Token ring veteran.

14. Michael McGuillicutty - Could use the experience.

15. Ezekiel Jackson - Kicked ass the last time around.

I loved ECW. Great matches, launched people like Pukn, Miz, and Morrison. Also, Lashley but we all know how that ended.

My ECW roster would consist of:

First and foremost I would have Ezekiel Jackson - ECW Champion as the centerpiece of the Black / Purple Brand.

From Raw –
Alex Riley
David Otunga
Michael McGillicutty
Skip Sheffield

From Smackdown –
Brodus Clay
Daniel Bryan - Mr. Money In The Bank, adds some "Star" power to the show.
Heath Slater
Johnny Curtis
Justin Gabriel
Wade Barrett

ECW Vixens (Divas) –
A.J.
Aksana
Kaitlyn

Are you seeing a pattern here?? To sum it up, take the last ECW Champion, add the NXT Rookies who made it to Raw and Smackdown and you have yourself a 3rd Brand.

WWE'S ECW SUCKED it did not serve a purpose with the fans of the Original ECW me being one of them, The Real ECW not WWE's watered down shit was the hottest thing around you never seen anything like it in WWF/E or WCW but after it got red hot that is when WWF and WCW started having Hardcore matches even going as far as to have a ''Hardcore'' Title for both promotions when in fact there division of hardcore sucked for Christ sake WWF had Molly Holly win the Hardcore Title so to your topic who would be in ECW if they axed NXT No one because Vince did not have the vision of what Paul Heyman had.

WWE'S ECW SUCKED it did not serve a purpose with the fans of the Original ECW me being one of them, The Real ECW not WWE's watered down shit was the hottest thing around you never seen anything like it in WWF/E or WCW but after it got red hot that is when WWF and WCW started having Hardcore matches even going as far as to have a ''Hardcore'' Title for both promotions when in fact there division of hardcore sucked for Christ sake WWF had Molly Holly win the Hardcore Title so to your topic who would be in ECW if they axed NXT No one because Vince did not have the vision of what Paul Heyman had.

Yes we know this story for ages. Let it go. ECW died.

I'm going to play this differently to the other posters in that I'm going to make a few character adjustments i.e a few face/heel turns

Firstly lets assume the Diva's and tag titles continue to Rotate so Members of my roster can hold them

I'll bring back Both the ECW Title and the WWE Hardcore Title(we'll let this rotate too)

General Manager Mick Foley
Commentary Team William Regal (Colour), Matt Striker and Scott Stanford (Play By Play)

Roster
Zack Ryder (Internet Champion [ do this like the Million $ title unofficial )
Ezekiel Jackson (ECW Champion)
AJ (W/Hornswoggle [he can be in her corner and vice versa on occasion)
Kaitlyn
Joe Hennig & Ted Dibiase (Name change )[do the fortunate sons thing]
Byron Saxton
Big Show (playing face as a veteran )
Goldust(Hardcore Champion) (given by GM Foley)
Brodus Clay (Monster Heel)
Alex Riley
The Prototype (have John Cena Lose to the Rock at mania and go Crazu showing up masked on ECW in his old Gimmick as a Heel (people boo cena so it will work)
Drew Mcintyre
Sin Cara
John Morrison (imagine the moves he'd pull off in backstage Hcore Belt matches)
Johnny Curtis
Santino
Wade Barrett
Seth Rollins
Maxine
Nikki Bella

I'm gonna centre my product arout Clay getting the ECW Title and then the likes of Rollins and Riley going for the Belt against this Horrible Monster.

Occasionally have the Divas Champ show up and face off against one of the Divas on the Brand maybe even losing the belt thus switching roster Places
i.e Kelly Kelly loses to Maxine Maxine Floats across rosters and Kelly ios stuck on ECW

Do the same with the Tag champs

Just my thoughts.. :)

The Prototype (have John Cena Lose to the Rock at mania and go Crazu showing up masked on ECW in his old Gimmick as a Heel (people boo cena so it will work)
1. Randy Orton - He has the perfect attitude for this show. Ever since WrestleMania 24, I've always thought he would make an excellent ECW Champion.

Cena will never lose his spot as the top guy, whether you like it or not. John Morrison got himself established on ECW and that helped get him where he is now, which should happen with the other wrestlers on the roster. ECW is a place for lower card talent looking to build themselves and superstars like Goldust who will help put them over. In no way should established stars be on the show. The two biggest draws in the company should not be on ECW fighting guys like Zack Ryder for the ECW title.

I'm going to play this differently to the other posters in that I'm going to make a few character adjustments i.e a few face/heel turns

Firstly lets assume the Diva's and tag titles continue to Rotate so Members of my roster can hold them

I'll bring back Both the ECW Title and the WWE Hardcore Title(we'll let this rotate too)

General Manager Mick Foley
Commentary Team William Regal (Colour), Matt Striker and Scott Stanford (Play By Play)

Roster
Zack Ryder (Internet Champion [ do this like the Million $ title unofficial )
Ezekiel Jackson (ECW Champion)
AJ (W/Hornswoggle [he can be in her corner and vice versa on occasion)
Kaitlyn
Joe Hennig & Ted Dibiase (Name change )[do the fortunate sons thing]
Byron Saxton
Big Show (playing face as a veteran )
Goldust(Hardcore Champion) (given by GM Foley)
Brodus Clay (Monster Heel)
Alex Riley
Drew Mcintyre
Sin Cara
Johnny Curtis
Santino
Wade Barrett
Seth Rollins
Maxine
Nikki Bella

I'm gonna centre my product arout Clay getting the ECW Title and then the likes of Rollins and Riley going for the Belt against this Horrible Monster.

Occasionally have the Divas Champ show up and face off against one of the Divas on the Brand maybe even losing the belt thus switching roster Places
i.e Kelly Kelly loses to Maxine Maxine Floats across rosters and Kelly ios stuck on ECW

Do the same with the Tag champs

Just my thoughts.. :)

So WWE should take their biggest money maker...John Cena, repackage him, bring him to the C show, and then have the show revolve around...Brodus Clay? :wtf:

Besides that a lot of your idea's aren't too bad.

I liked the ECW brand on tuesday nights and believe it definetley served a great purpose. It kind of serves as a transition from developmental to one of the two big brands. I would love to see another brand comeback to replace NXT which has pretty much run its course and should end. It doesnt have to be called ECW, just to appease the fan boys who hated the wwe ecw. I dont really care what its called. I do want another brand where we will get to see the young guys and the future of the wwe. Heres whod Id like to be on it.

Champion: Maybe Alex Riley as people have mentioned earlier theyd want him on here and i think this could help him get back to the level he was at when feuding with The Miz.

The top heel Id want to fued with Riley would be John Morrison. Hes already had sucess in ecw not to mention on raw on smackdown and though I like him as a face mostly for his moves and incredible feats, I think hed do better as a heel.

Henning and Otunga: Id like to see them work on becoming a better tag team

Ryder and Hawkins: Feud with the previous team since Ryder is somewhat of a hot commodity (atleast in the eyes of me and the IWC) and having this team back could help the tag team division. But i still want ryder on smackdown with teddy long and on raw too

The Usos: Basicly just to have another tag team on the show. I liked the usos when they first debuted and were feuding with the hart dynasty. I liked they double team moves they used especialy the double superkick and assissted somaon drop.

Since there is talk of bring back the cruiserweight title or division atleast Id like to have on: Trent Barreta, Tyson Kidd, Yoshi Tatsu, Justin Gabriel, Primo

But there would also need to be some experienced veterans on the show: William Regal,Goldust, Booker Tonce in a while for nostalgic purposes.

Pretty much anyone that is currently being under utilized who could have a possible chance at a real future or can atelast put on a good show with their time here how ever long it may be.

Commentators: Matt Striker, Scott Stanford

Divas: I really dont care anyone theyre all hot and the only ones that can wrestle are already teaming on raw and smackdown

Cena will never lose his spot as the top guy, whether you like it or not. John Morrison got himself established on ECW and that helped get him where he is now, which should happen with the other wrestlers on the roster. ECW is a place for lower card talent looking to build themselves and superstars like Goldust who will help put them over. In no way should established stars be on the show. The two biggest draws in the company should not be on ECW fighting guys like Zack Ryder for the ECW title.

So they should use ECW just to establish new guys? That's what happened last time and it got canned. If they wanted ECW to make it as a real brand then they should have included some top guys. I'll agree that John Cena shouldn't be on ECW but Randy Orton would be perfect for that show if you were looking at it as an actual hardcore show not a developmental show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back