• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who was the worst Horsemen of them all?

Who's the worst Horsemen of them all?

• Paul Roma

• Steve McMichael

Results are only viewable after voting.

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
There are five choices for this topic. And they're personal opinion, but I believe there could be a case for each one being the worst. I'll play devil's advocate and give the person and reason they could be considered the worst member of the Four Horsemen.

Honorable Mentions

Sting

Wrestling wise, Sting was nearing his peak back in the early 90's...but as a face. The Horsemen are heels, and should be treated as such. With Sting in the fold, it was clear the Horsemen were cheered and to me, he stuck out like a sore thumb with Ole, Arn, and Ric. This was clearly a choice for storyline purposes and nothing else. Sting wasn't the worst wrestling wise, but as far as a fit is concerned, he didn't fit the mold.

Brian Pillman

Once again, Pillman was a great wrestler, but didn't fit the mold of a Horsemen. He was too wild, too much of a 'loose cannon'. While the rest of the group was worried about limo's, women, and suits, Pillman was like a crackhead walking around hitting anything that moved and ended up costing The Horsemen a few matches before he was booted out and headed to the WWF.

Lex Luger

Look wise, he was it back in the 80's. But overall skill and mic work? No. Complete swing and miss with Luger. The NWA was trying to push Luger to contend for the WHC and that's the only reason Luger was ever a Horsemen. He was only worried about himself and his glory and not about team work and keeping the title on Flair. His kayfabe selfishness and him being real green during this time made this a bad decision.

Here's a good candidate for the worst of the worst Horsemen...

Paul Roma

Do I really need to go into why this was a terrible choice? Basically, Roma was a jobber in the WWF before signing with the NWA/WCW. For some odd reason, and I believe the reason was to fill Tully Blanchard's void during this new attempt at a Four Horsemen stable, they picked a wrestler who hadn't even seen the main event or midcard as a wrestler. He tagged with Arn Anderson, who's good at hiding anyone's flaws, but this was a terrible choice considering they had many other more qualified wrestlers during this time that could have carried the mantle as a solid member of the faction.

Finally... we come to... my pick for the worst Horsemen of them all...

Steve "Mongo" McMichael

The man wasn't a wrestler, he was a commentator. Period. HOW in the hell did he become a member of the most elite faction in pro wrestling? I have no idea. He had no talent, even had a US Title reign which was just flabbergasting, and on top of that...HE WAS A FOOTBALL PLAYER! At least Paul Roma was a wrestler before he joined. Malenko and Benoit at least fit the mold of teamwork and beating up guys. Mongo was just bad. Bad all around.

So...who's the WORST HORSEMEN OF THEM ALL?!

If anyone votes for ANYONE besides Steve McMichael, I will be upset. He was terrible. He wasn't a wrestler. He was almost completely devoid of charisma. He sucked. He wasn't any great draw, being only a decent pro football player. God, he sucked.

Unfortunately for a period of time, Mongo got good crowd reactions. Maybe I'm completely mistaken, but I remember when he finally turned on Jeff Jarrett, the crowd exploded. The initial idea was bad, the tail end of his run was bad, but there were brief moments in between that made him only the 2nd worst ever.

Paul Roma gets the vote. Much better worker than Mongo, but did not fit...at all. His teaming with Paul Orndorff was a much better idea for him.

Paul Roma. Hands down it's Paul Roma. Mongo was pretty damn awful as well, so I can't exactly fault someone for choosing him. However, at least Mongo actually did something that was worth a damn. The fact that he was a member of the 1985 Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears was an aspect that WCW used with Mongo. They used his football past to help make him seem legitimate.

Paul Roma spent the best years of his career as a jobber in the WWF. Triple H said that the addition of Roma was the weakest line up in the Horsemen's history and I've got to agree with that. At least the others listed actually did a little something with their careers besides losing to make other wrestlers look good.

Paul Roma without even thinking about it.

That guy was useless, he was a decent worker, but not great like most horsemen. Had zero charisma and besides, how can a guy who was a jobber in the WWE get put into the most elite group in pro wrestling history (and not to mention become a main eventer in the process, this guy wasn't even midcard before he was a horsemen and main eventing). Out of all horsemen he fit the monikor the absolute worst.

At least Mongo had some charisma, not a great in ring worker but made up for it in other areas. Mongo wasn't a great Horsemen, but he was leaps and bounds ahead of Roma. Also I consider that Mongo was in the horsemen at a time they weren't the focal point of WCW so him not being a great worker didn't work against him too much. Roma was in the horsemen at a time it was the top thing in WCW so its a lot easier to pick on Roma for that reason alone.

It comes down to Roma and Mongo, but I believe Roma gets a bad rap. He was always a tag wrestler and that's what he was in the Horseman to be. He was there to be AA's partner and he was fine in that role. But the Horseman at that time only had three members so the group was weak to begin with. They were also faces at that time and he Horsemen always worked better as heels.

With Mongo he just didn't fit at all. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Chris Beoit, and...... Steve McMichael? Really? That's the best they could come up with. A former Super Bowl winner who couldn't wrestle worth shit.

Roma was a far superior worker to Mongo and I believe that if he was in a Horseman group that had all 4 members and were heels, then he would have fit in much better.

My initial reaction was to say Roma. He was basically a mid-card jobber in the WWF, but in a way WCW decided to try to give him a decent shot. I remember when he debuted too. Wasn't too bad of an entrance. He did well enough in the gig though, even though it didn't last all that long. But in retrospect though, Mongo would definitely be the true worst Horseman. Come on, now, Mongo?? He's a half-decent football player who happened to win a Superbowl?? I don't think you'd draw the fans in with that. If you want to get the cream of the crap, an ex footballer would draw more of it than an ex WWFer. :flair:

A part of me wants to say Lex Luger, but I'm going with Roma. When compairing Luger and Roma there are lots of similarities. Both men had a look, but when it came down to wrestling, both of them were pretty bad. But Roma just never seemed to fit with the Horsemen. He didn't have the that excellnce quality that Flair and others had.

Roma was a jobber in WWF before joing the Horsemen. So how were wrestling fans supposed to buy into the fact that he could be apart of an elite group of wrestlers such as the Horsemen? At least Luger was made out to look like a dominat force.

Clearly, and without a doubt, the worst is Mongo. He never belonged in the group and his wrestling/interviewing/commentating were all abysmal.

It can be argued along the lines that if Roma can go from WWE Jobber to 4 Horseman Member what about Edge? He was a WCW jobber and went on to become numerous times WWE Champion. Or what about HHH.

The thing is they were all young when they got their 1st break and grew.

As for worst Horseman member Id say McMichael as he wasn't a wrestler and would have served a better option as say a manager which isn't much better. 4 Horseman originally was all about VERY talented wrestlers being in a faction/group and did things as a team.

Curt Hennig. The Horsemen turned on several of their members over of the years, but Hennig is the only one to turn on the group. I'd say that easily makes him the worst member. Arn Anderson gave up his "spot," and Hennig was totally unappreciative of the gesture by smashing Flair's head with a cage door. Yeah, Hennig is definitely the worst Horsemen.

But if I have to choose between the two listed...Mongo.

Paul Roma for me. Mongo i'll admit was horrible on the mic and horrible at wrestling, but at least the dude looked like he tried. I always got the vibe Roma thought he was the best and didn't need to try. the way i thought about it was:

would i rather see a McMichael match or a Roma match? would i rather hear Roma or McMichael on the mic? at least with Mongo i could get a laugh from his gibberish and from his botches. Roma was not entertaining at all.

It has to be Roma. I despised McMichael, but at least while he was a member, he understood the history behind it, and was honored to be one. He may have been better than Roma in the ring as well.

Roma never fit the mold as a talker in the Horsemen, and sucked the life out of everything, even teaming with Arn. I won't blame anyone for voting Mongo, but Roma should be the clear choice.

waylonmercy.... everyone was pretty much a jobber before they went on to bigger and better things if they stuck around. Edge was a WCW jobber and so was HHH, but so was Owen (sure he didnt win any significant gold, but he would have), Taker, and Scott Hall. Roma was a perma-tag wrestler. His most famous thing other than being a Horsemen is stiffing Alex Wright because he didnt want to job to him.

Paul Roma is the easiest choice for this. At least people knew who Mongo was before he was a Horsemen. Roma was a jobber before, and was a jobber after the Horsemen. Mongo at least had mainstream appeal.

I dont think Sting should even count in this because I believe that the angle with Sting joining was just so it would leave him vulnerable to a Horsemen thrashing. He was never meant to be a true Horsemen. Almost the same thing with Luger. What about Sid? I dont think he should have been a horsemen...maybe a bodyguard, but not a full member.

I gotta go with Steve McMichael as the worst. Paul Roma had a lot of talent at least. McMichael was worthless. He would hurt people. He was poor on the mic. He was just awful all around. Roma at least went on to have a good tag team with Paul Orndorff.

I'm gonna say Paul Roma, 4 the same reason everyone else, because he was mainly known as a jobber in the WWF. I remember around the time that Pillman was joined the Horseman, there were rumors that Paul Orndorff was supposed 2 have that spot. I would've picked Steve McMichael, but being from Chicago, I can't say anything bad about anybody on the '85 Bears Super Bowl Team.

I would say roma, but why hasn't anyone mention Jarret as a bad member of the horseman, he didnt have the look, or the right attitude, his ring attire. Nothing about him said horseman.

Not too sure why Sid Vicious isn't on this list. But I'm sure other people have mentioned it already, though I haven't read all the postings for this forum. So since Sid isn't on the list, then I will have to go with "Pretty" Paul Ro-ma"! lmao... I can just hear HHH now on the Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen DVD questioning the decision on making Roma a Horsemen. This choice should be a no-brainer, though again, I haven't read all the postings and am not sure if others choose other wrestlers. If so, I'm sure they have vaild reasons...

And while we're at it...Why isn't Jeff Jarrett on the list as well?

So Roma is my choice for all the above-mentioned reasons. The guy was a mid-carder at best, a jobber at the most and was soooo full of himself that no one could really consider him legit. Enough said.

The first and only name I would consider as the worst was Steve McMichael. He had no business being in the ring to begin with, he was a mediocre at best commentator when he was behind the mic. I think the fact that I don't even remember Paul Roma as a Horseman says that he wasn't memorable enough to suck that badly in my mind. I remember McMichael sucking eggs night in and night out in the ring. He was a badass because he used his briefcase to win matches?? Um, no.

Oh this is Roma and it's not even close to being close. Mongo wasn't a wrestler, but he tried at least. He was a good football player and he tried to cross over. He brought power to the team which always helps. He wasn't great, but you have to grade him on a different level than you do the rest of the guys. They're career wrestlers, and also I have a hard time believing that Mongo was anything more than a publicity stunt.

Then you have Roma. He was a jobber in the WWF, so let's make him a member of the most elite group in the world. That's what the kayfabe sense said at least. With Mongo there's the previous success thing. Roma was a trained wrestler that just failed on all levels. Do you remember Roma as a Horsemen? I doubt it. When you don't remember a guy being a member of the most focused on group in wrestling history to that point, he's a failure.

Hands down Steve McMichael was the worst Horseman of all time. Paul isnt to far behind him but at least Paul was succesful to an extent as tag team "Pretty Wonderful". Mongo sucked and he only got into thie biz casue he had a wife with hott legs...

As with any good stable, you have to have a formula. This can be broken down any number of ways. I'll cite one.

1. the leader - this role was always only Flair. His role was to hold the world title.
e.g. - only Flair. Ever.

2. the second - not necessarily the second in command. The first guy in this role was Tully Blanchard. His spot was to chase the second tier titles like the U.S. and T.V. This role also went to guys who would be future world champs or at least asperations of being such.
e.g. Tully, Benoit, Luger, Windham

3. your technical guy or in some variations your enforcer - this role was most commonly and famously held by Arn Anderson. His role was to take the T.V. title or tag title. His other role was to punch anyone in the teeth who crossed the boss.
e.g. Benoit, Malenko, Ole, and of course Double A

4. your power house - this guy was usually one half of a tag team or depending on which person filled the role maybe a U.S. title contender
e.g. Mongo, Luger, Sid

Therefor my vote goes to Paul Roma. He didn't really fill any of these roles. He had the appearance of a power house, bit wasn't really. He was more finesse. He shouldn't have gotten a sniff at gold unless it was his stablemates or unless he got tag gold. Mongo met the role of power house adequate enough. He even had a suprisingly successful run at U.S. champ until he got lost in the mix of a stcked second tier in WCW at the time. Besides I'm a Bear fan, so he gets the benefit of doubt from me.

I would've picked Steve McMichael, but being from Chicago, I can't say anything bad about anybody on the '85 Bears Super Bowl Team.

I'm also from Chicago and a life long Bears fan. I've met Mongo at a bar. Even went to his gentleman's club he promotes in the Chicago suburbs. He's a real nice guy the couple of times I've met him.

Worse horseman ever.

For me, Roma had at least some credibility, albeit minimal, because of his stint in WWF.

McMicheal... But only cause their was only 2 choices!
McMicheal wasn't entertaining at all..... But he did fit in his role!

My personal opinion is that Lex Luger was the worst!
He shouldn't have been in a group.... EVER!!!! Luger Annoyed me... He was just too popular for my liking! I don't think he should have gone any higher then midcard!
In ring skills was sloppy at best.... And Mic skills.... If he ate the foam off the mic it would be his greatest wrestling moment ever!

There's two issues I have with people who are saying that Paul Roma was the worst Horseman.

1. For everyone saying that he sucked in the ring, have you ever watched a Paul Roma match? The guy wasn't Bret Hart but he was far from bad in the ring. In fact I would venture to say that he was pretty good in the ring.

2. For people saying he didn't "fit" in with the Horseman, no shit. Tully Blanchard was supposed to come back but he had a drug problem so Roma was basically a last second replacement. Yes he was a glorified jobber in the WWE but he had a good look and as a last second replacement there are much worse guys that could have been in there. This was definitely the worst Horseman group, but it's not all because of Paul Roma. They were faces, they only had three members, and they were around for less then 6 months.

Roma definitely did not belong as a Horseman, no one will dispute that. However, he could at least wrestle. Mongo was complete shit in the ring. It was also a lot easier for Mongo to go unnoticed because Chris Benoit was also in the group. Roma, well not great as an overall performer, is 10x better then Mongo could ever dream of being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back