Who should be New Japan Pro Wrestling's Global Star?

Albert T

Occasional Pre-Show
Now that New Japan is making its trek to North America, in an attempt to establish itself as an international wrestling promotion, it seems to me that NJPW will need to select a World Champion that can best represent the company. Who should New Japan select as its World Champion and, by virtue, most vital star?

If it were my decision, I'd pick Kenny Omega, because of the match quality, star power and connection to the Bullet Club, which is quickly becoming the best source of revenue, in terms of merchandise and drawing power. I don't always like what he says in his interviews and I think he often says what other people want to hear instead of what he believes or really wants, but his work has been the most substantial for a company filled with great wrestlers that most people have never heard of.

Who do you think should be New Japan's top star for the future? Omega? Okada? Tanahashi? Ospreay? Don't be afraid to think outside the box either.

Okada for 3 reasons
1) People watch for the unique Japanese talent, if people wanted westerners on top they'd watch WWE, most of the good ones are already there unlike Japan which has at most2 reps at once!
2) Okada is the long term Ace, the closest to being put on a level of a Cena or Reigns (lol) a legit big time star to carry the company which he has been doing BTW.
3) Best wrestler in the world.

Forgive me for the feeling that the international face of NJPW should be the same man who has already been selected to carry the company as ace. Kazuchika Okada. Acquiring a greater presence in North America will do nothing but further Okada's star by giving him a larger stage. He has the look, the charisma, the age, a ring style that while true to the Japanese style is also more similar to the western style than many other top Japanese stars, and more big match experience than any wrestler his age has ever previously accrued. Okada isn't the new ace of the company by accident, and at his age, assuming relative health, he shows no signs of stepping aside for anyone.

As for a couple of suggestions not brought forth by the OP, the two top guys in the junior division, Hiromu Takahashi and KUSHIDA, both have everything that it takes to be top guys in any hemisphere.

If you want to showcase that promotion then I wouldn't make an American the face of it. Right now Okada but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he is Nakamura level.

Forgive me for the feeling that the international face of NJPW should be the same man who has already been selected to carry the company as ace. Kazuchika Okada. Acquiring a greater presence in North America will do nothing but further Okada's star by giving him a larger stage. He has the look, the charisma, the age, a ring style that while true to the Japanese style is also more similar to the western style than many other top Japanese stars, and more big match experience than any wrestler his age has ever previously accrued. Okada isn't the new ace of the company by accident, and at his age, assuming relative health, he shows no signs of stepping aside for anyone.

As for a couple of suggestions not brought forth by the OP, the two top guys in the junior division, Hiromu Takahashi and KUSHIDA, both have everything that it takes to be top guys in any hemisphere.

Good mention with KUSHIDA. He's able to work with north american audiences pretty well with all the experience he's gotten there. At 27 Takahashi is a great bid to. When he was in CMLL and ROH in the less than 3 years or so he drastically improved. I think given a little more experience and time he could be a super valuable player.

In regards to the main discussion I think Okada is going to be the face of the entire company and should be on a global scale. He's 29 and has an absolutely insane talent in not only the ring, but also how he carries himself. There is a lot going for him and if they really wanted to feature him on a PPV mainly based in the U.S. or so it'd still enhance it to ridiculous degrees.

Basically Okada with major assists. He has just been on this slow burn to being an absolute global star and even if he to were to retire tomorrow he'd be legend status. A no doubt match of the year that can't be ignored not even a week into 2017. Omega, and that match kicked it off. Then as much as the injury hurt my heart.. Shibata and that match he had with Okada added momentum. Then he is facing Cody Rhodes at the 2 day G1 USA special / Live broadcast.

Kenny Omega easily. Seconded by Kazuchika Okada.

I don't watch NJPW to see a Japanese wrestler on top. I watch NJPW for a different wrestling-oriented programming. And the best talent should be the global star. And Kenny Omega is obviously the best NJPW has.

Did Okada receive worldwide appreciation before facing Omega? Both benefited a lot from the two matches they had. Both are talented individuals. But Omega is 21 as compared to Okada being 19. So he should be the global star as his appeal would be a lot more than Okada.

Okada was considered by many to be the best wrestler on Earth while having regular match of the year candidates with the likes of Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Styles; and main eventing Wrestle Kingdoms; while Omega was still toiling as a Junior. Omega needed the platform of wrestling Okada to drastically raise his international star, not vice versa.

Okada was considered by many to be the best wrestler on Earth while having regular match of the year candidates with the likes of Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Styles; and main eventing Wrestle Kingdoms; while Omega was still toiling as a Junior. Omega needed the platform of wrestling Okada to drastically raise his international star, not vice versa.
Really? Of course, Omega was a junior and 2016 actually made him a star.

But I've yet to hear any Okada match getting so much appreciation before he faced Omega. Yes, he was having classic or good matches. But as much as with Omega? That's why I said that it benefited both a lot. Both required each other to increase their value.

While his match with Omega from 1/4 is still my match of the year, I'm not sure that its even a top three match in Okada's career for me.

Different tastes, buddy.

I just loved the match you mentioned. One of the all-time classics. Had some basic wrestling moves that are rarely seen anymore. Had some very good nearfalls. Had a storyline built around it. Had some apt storytelling in the match itself.

It's difficult to say because it's hard to guess exactly what New Japan's plans are. During the G1 Special, it was announced that New Japan would return to the states in 2018, though exactly when in 2018 is anybody's guess. If their plan is to try to compete with WWE, then my guess is that they're not going to rush into anything anytime soon like TNA tried to do after Hogan & friends showed up. If the plan is to compete with WWE someday, then taking it slow is the right decision because it's not going to be easy by any stretch; New Japan isn't remotely as well known in America, it generates less than 5% of the revenue WWE brings in and they'd have to land a TV deal on a real network or, at least, really build up the audience they have on AXS TV, etc. and it's all going to take years to do.

However, as of right now, Kenny Omega looks to be a clear choice to represent the US market. Omega is easily the most talked about Caucasian wrestler in the world who isn't wrestling in WWE and really has been since the beginning of the year, he became of the first IWGP United States Heavyweight Champion over the weekend which means he'll be spending some time in the states defending the title working with companies like ROH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back