Who in the UFC would you like to see in another company?

jmt225

Global Moderator
In the UFC 102 thread, I stated that I would like to see Chris Leben get out of his contract, and go fight for Strikeforce or DREAM. I asked Marquis if he agreed, and he did, while also naming all the possibilities I was thinking of when I first made the claim. Fights against Scott Smith, Nick Diaz, Robbie Lawler, Gegard Mousasi, Melvin Manhoef, Benji Radach, etc. were all mentioned. All would absolutely be FOTY candidates, whereas in the UFC, there's a chance of Chris Leben never receiving a top tier fight in the company for a very, very long time.

Who are some other fighters like this currently under contract with the UFC? Fighters whose best fights and best opportunities would happen someplace else, rather than in the biggest MMA company in the World?

Well like I said in the other thread, Leben fore sure. I named Lawler, Shamrock, Miller, Manhoef, Gegard, and Diaz, but you brought up two very interesting opponents for him. I remembered Smith, but forgot to put him down, but a fight with Radach completely passed my mind. A fight with either Smith or Radach for Leben are fights that we will most likely see nothing close to the ground. Someone's gonna get knocked out, that's for sure. All these people I named would have fantastic slugfests with Leben. So Leben for sure I would like to see outside the UFC. No company in particular since Leben would be free to fight in any promotion not named the UFC, but if I had to choose I would say strikeforce.

A fighter that instantly came to mind when I saw this thread aside from Leben is Frank Mir. As I have argued a couple of times already, I do see the heavyweight division being split with those in the UFC, and those outside of it. Most notably the pound 4 pound best heavyweight in the world is outside the UFC. Outside the UFC, most notably Strikeforce, I see a good number of interesting match ups for Mir. A fight against Werdum I would be interested in seeing, just to see how great Mir's wrestling or BJJ is. Werdum most likely holds the best BJJ credentials at heavyweight. And as BJ showed the other night against Kenny, there's a difference between a world class black belt, and a normal black belt. So a fight with Werdum would interest me to see how great Mir's BJJ is on the ground, or how great his wrestling is if he manages to guard Werdum's takedowns. Of course a fight with the Fedor would interest me. I would like to see how far Mir has really come, and I can think of no better way of seeing that then seeing Mir face off against the greatest heavyweight right now.

And last, but not least. A fight with Overeem for Mir would be a dream fight for me. I honestly would like to see a heavyweight bout of Mir Vs. Overeem more then any other heavyweight bout that I can think of. Both these two are extremely well rounded fighters. Mir of course has fantastic BJJ, and has developed some great striking. Overeem like I said is also very well rounded. Having knock out Badr Hari in a K-1 fight, and taking Remy Bonjasky to a decision is very impressive. Hell I might event think he has the best stand up at heavyweight. And although he might not have an actual belt or credential in any form of submission fighting that I'm aware of, he did submit a BJJ black belt in Vitor Belfort. Submitting a black belt is damn impressive, and he holds 17 wins via submission. So yeah, both of these fellas are very well rounded. No matter where the fight goes, whether its the ground or the feet I'm sure it would be exciting to watch.

A fighter that instantly came to mind when I saw this thread aside from Leben is Frank Mir.

Man... what a great choice. I didn't even think of him when I brought this subject up, but everything you said after this sentence made perfect sense, and now I want badly to see Mir out of his UFC contract as well, lol.

Another fighter I was thinking about was Joe Lauzon. The UFC's Lightweight Division is STACKED, and someone like him I don't think will ever be able to work his way up the latter, even though he's one of the most well rounded fighters in the entire division. MMA companies outside of the UFC are lacking known Lightweights, and I believe he could reach his full potential in super-stardom and top fights by fighting in companies like Strikeforce and DREAM. Plus, I just think fights between him vs. Gilbert Melendez, Josh Thomson, Shinya Aoki, Tanaknori Gomi, and even KJ Noons (whose pussy ass needs to stop being such a bitch and come back to MMA) would all be superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back