Where Would Chris Benoit Be Today?

CM_PUNK1995

CM_PUNK1995
Hey Guys, firstly I would just like to point out that this thread is about Chris Benoit the wrestler. I would really appreciate it if no-one talked about the incident.

I think we all know Chris Benoit was without a doubt one of the best ever wrestlers to step inside the squared circle. He is a former world champion, 4 time Intercontinental Champion, 4 time Tag Team champion and the 2004 Royal Rumble winner. I could go on and on about his accolades but im just going to cut to the chase. It's been just over 4 years since he passed away and he is still remembered as one of the best at his profession.

So I've got one question, Where would Chris Benoit be today? He was poised to be ECW champion at Vengeance 2007, but where would we have gone from there?

So share your thoughts and enter a post below.

Chris Benoit 1967 - 2007 R.I.P

despite his agression and great wrestling skills, one of the best things about benoit was his ability to make people look good. he would probably have never been 'the guy' again, but the wwe by now would have began using him in high profile feuds putting younger guys like dolph, sheamus, and cody over.
also, he may or may not have gotten a shot at 'the streak' by this time.
also, imagine if he would have had a great feud with cena sometime in the last couple years. would have been some epic matches there.

He would have become a glorified "opponent." .....a guy who wins most of his matches but falls short when facing guys on their way to the top; often serving as the stepping stone that vaults them to stardom. ("Hey, he must be good. He beat Benoit!")

The company seemed to be de-emphasizing his presence in the months before he died. At the time, I figured his being shipped to ECW was a way of ending his main event days and possibly reducing his work schedule to suit his advancing age. But don't think I'm saying this because the company had lost respect for him.....actually, it's just the opposite.

Too many years of those flying headbutts off the top rope had slowed him down to the point that he couldn't continue to work the same style as always.....and I think WWE recognized that and were looking to make things easier for him. On ECW, he could still be the respected veteran; thereby having greater importance as a force than he would have on the other two brands, even as he helped develop a new generation of wrestlers gathered under him.

I believe that, had he lived, he would still be able to work an effective match when he was 65 years old; his technical knowledge and ring presence would have guaranteed it.

But I believe his days as a #1 star were behind him.....and it's a shame he didn't get to enjoy his role of elder statesman..

I believe Chris Benoit would have been the 2nd or 3rd, most likely 3rd, Superstar to hold the WWE, WCW / World Heavyweight, and ECW Championships. I would like to think that WWECW could possibly be around today if he helped it grow. When Johnny Nitro took his spot in the ECW Title match at Night Of Champions 2007, that is when ECW became WWECW in my opinion. This of course is looking at the glass half full, but this is what I want to believe.

He may have also headlined WrestleMania against Chris Jericho for the WWE / World Championship and then headlined Bound For Glory against Kurt Angle for the TNA World Championship. Who knows??

I think he would be in a similar position to someone like Mark Henry. The fans respect him and he would occasionally get a PPV main event spot, but likely wouldn't have won the title again unless they had a short roster at some point and needed him to carry it for a while.

He also would likely be putting on wrestling clinics every week with guys like Kidd, Ziggler, Danielson, etc. Probobaly would've been a pro on NXT at some point and definitely would've had a fued for the US and tag titles by now.

I think with his propensity to take bumps and with him already in his 40s, I think he would've been out of the ring by now. I think he would be a trainer on Tough Enough, down in FCW and/or a booker. This would be assuming that he had no brain damage, as well as still being around. Maybe a periodical match when called out by a young, up and comer, like what Booker is doing right now.

Regardless of Chris Benoit's ability, which was certainly great - he lacked the charisma and personality to actually be taken seriously as a star. While his matches were entertaining...they should have remained on the mid-card level that used to successfully prep up the crowd for the main event (i.e. Macho Man vs. Steamboat at WM3, or the successful use of the Cruiserweights/mid-carders setting up Monday Nitro for the main events in WCW).

Chris Benoit, like Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, and other perennial mid-carders, would have been inducted into the Hall of Fame regardless. Their careers would have been appreciated regardless. Does it really matter whether they win the Heavyweight title or the Intercontinental title? Mr. Perfect is somebody that I would put in the same league, although Mr. Perfect had more charisma and personality in his pinky toe than Chris Benoit did entirely. Mr. Perfect never received the heavyweight title...but he's still appreciated and in the Hall of Fame anyway.

For niche wrestling fans who like one particular dimension of professional wrestling over the rest (move set/physical ability) - they get something out of promoting robot personalities like this but for literally everybody else (who look at the big picture) it cheapens the event. Hypothetically having Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero headlining Wrestlemania is essentially like having Mr. Perfect square off against Jake Roberts at a Wrestlemania in the late 80's/early 90's. It would have been entertaining on a skill level basis...but it just wouldn't be that entertaining overall unfortunately and certainly wouldn't sell nearly as much as Hulk Hogan vs. another giant monster, let alone Hulk facing off against an Ultimate Warrior, Andre the Giant, or Randy Savage...

That being said, I would have hoped that Chris Benoit would have continued his very successful and entertaining role at the mid-card level - setting up the stage and supporting the main events at other pay-per-views...

...basically becoming what Dean Malenko was in WCW towards the end of his career. Somebody very well respected with great ability and who was taken seriously as a contender...but wasn't propped up on a pedestal that he didn't deserve (and that would essentially be detrimental to the business overall).

- Prime

He probably have retired right about now.. But I could easily have seen some high profile WrestleMania matches with HBK(singles) and having a shot at the streak with Taker..

Benoit was just amazing in the ring, he could make anyone look good and thats a fact! He had that look on his face where he was jsut focused on his match, he went out and just wrestled.. I think he could have gotten a last World title run, obviously we knew he was supposed to become the ECW champion aswel..

He would be like Jericho, didn't matter if he lost, just go out and make the worst wrestlers look good as long ashe put on a good match himself and delivered.

He would have been a guy who spent most of his time on Smackdown grooming talent into being stars. I can see him being that transitional champion that Edge was on Smackdown. One thing about Benoit that he doesn't credit for is that he always knew what was good for business and would put over the young guys (Summerslam 2004). Great worker, great matches, etc

Regardless of Chris Benoit's ability, which was certainly great - he lacked the charisma and personality to actually be taken seriously as a star. While his matches were entertaining...they should have remained on the mid-card level that used to successfully prep up the crowd for the main event (i.e. Macho Man vs. Steamboat at WM3, or the successful use of the Cruiserweights/mid-carders setting up Monday Nitro for the main events in WCW).

I don't know about that and all depends in how you define Charisma and Personality. If you mean Charisma by talking the mic then I guess not but his presence alone has a lot charisma. Similar to Goldberg when he enters the ring and during a match he knows how to get the fans rallied up.

Also regarding his personality I would say he always played the role of an intense wrestler in his WCW and WWE run and did so successfully. When you saw Benoit in the ring you could see a guy that wanted to kill (no pun intended) his opponents by breaking them down and by submission.

Sure his promo's are so-so but he's adequate but Charisma also involves how you present yourself in the ring and, once he's in the ring, fans watch and pay attention.

Benoit probably would've been retired by now.... The man's intensity was parallel to nobody. When you watched his matches, he made you believe it was real.

I think he would've had an ECW and WHC reign in him, then HOF. I could also have seen Benoit on Tough Enough doing Bill DeMott's job, except being hardcore about the training.

To those who say his Mic skills sucked, he didn't need mic skills for his character. The fact he acted and looked like he was going to murder his opponents in the ring was enough to get him over. And if you ask anyone who watched wrestling during Benoit's era, and he'd be in their top pics of favourite wrestlers.

But yeah, they would've primarily used him as the guy to bring the new stars to the top.

Where would Chris Benoit be today?

Where would WWE be today?...

Think about it, the resulting changes to the industry that occurred because of what you've asked me not to mention.

There may have still been a come down on steroid use but it wouldn't have been as thorough, shit, it might not have happened at all.
Also, I think there would have been an entirely different approach to the WWE's PG initiative. Instead of basic PG I think there would have been PG13 and maybe even tv14 still for WWE's PPVs.

But getting onto your question, where would Benoit be? To be realistic him living would mean his mental problems were caught and diagnosed and he received the help he needed before anything happen. If that happened I guess that'd mean he'd be either fully retired by now or working a part time schedule like HBK did for so long and Undertaker is doing now. :)

where would Chris Benoit be today, forsure bound for the Hall of Fame, maybe another title run, I heard he was sent to the ECW and was spotted to win the title to help bring up the talent in that part cause like everyone said he could make anyone look good in the ring, yeah him loosing the MVP 2 out of 3 matches really took away from his credibilties as a guy who looked like a power ranger beat someone like Benoit then he was sent to ECW, not sure, He had the ability to main event or mid card and still look good.

some of the guys now like shamus and cena would of been good feuds with him, be like what if Andrea the Giant was around, think of how the matches against bigshow, Kali and other big men

I don't want to piss anyone off with this, Bt it is my honest opinion on the matter, and I refuse to put it any other way. I enjoyed Chris Benot's career as much as anyone and his match at WM X7 with Kurt Angle is my absolute favorite match of all time. So, please don't take this as a negetive, it's just how i see it...

I would hope he would have retired by now, as has been stated numerous times already, his style for taking hard bumps and wrestling full tilt all the time would have cut his career short. I can't see him having wrestled more than 2 or 3 years more than he did. The sad truth is, and I can't believe I'm saying this, He probably would be dead anyway. I loved Chris Benoit's entire career, I've seen tapes of him from Japan, and if it weren't for Arn Anderson, HE could've been the Enforcer of the 4 Horsemen. Unfortunately, Much like Eddy Guerrero (yes, that's how he spelled in in WCW), He packed on the muscle during his time in WWE, and that couldn't have done his heart any favors. The only difference being that he would be fully apprecited by the entire WWE community, not just us here in the IWC. He would have had a proper tribute, a ficticious Bust in the ficticious Hall Of Fame, and the CRIPPLER CROSSFACE would be referred to as such.

Rest in Peace, Crippler. We still Miss you, No matter what Vince does!!

I really don't understand all the people who think Chris Benoit was that bad on the mic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNgwbrJa06M

Don't get me wrong, he was no Dusty Rhodes or anything, but he wasn't bad by any means. His promos weren't filled with jokes or this or that, they were straight to the point and spot on with his gimmick. He was a guy that would kick your ass and demanded respect, and him acting any other way during his promos would have been detrimental to his character and thus, would have been bad.

Now onto the original post...

Benoit would have been an upper midcard guy used to build guys for the main event or to help establish main eventers who needed credibility. Unfortunately for WWE right now, they really don't have alot of guys like this right now to build stars which is why when guys get pushes, we don't buy into them. You can't just take somebody who's beating guys like Evan Bourne one week and then suddenly expect them to be taken seriously as they face John Cena. There has to be steps in between and Chris would have been a huge part of that.

I think Chris Benoit would probably have that Chris Jericho type role. There to put the younger guys over and make them look good/credible. Possibly even a Triple H/Shawn Michaels/Ric Flair type of role.

However, I do not think he would still be the top guy he used to be today. His body would of been way too warn down by now, especially from all those Diving Headbuts.

Benoit would have won the ECW Championship at Night of Champions in 2007. Then he would have been a veteran helping put over guys like Punk or Morrison. By the time Christian and Matt Hardy were on ECW Benoit would likely have returned to the main roster and gone on to win a few more world titles. It's a shame what happened because as a result he was not around to help ECW as a brand and all the younger guys who came up through it. A World Championship match against guys like Edge or Jericho at Wrestlemania would have been great to see too.

If the whole Benoit thing hadn't happened, and if he were still alive

I think Benoit would definitely be a first-ballot Hall of Famer for whenever he would retire

And Benoit I would have seen him perhaps turn heel even, become World Heavyweight Champion once again for the first time since 2004

Or he would have become WWE Champion

But we will never know now, will we

prob facing daniel bryan in 30 minute ultimate submission match i think they wouldve brought back the lions den match for a match between him and bryan i wouldve loved to see benoit vs a mma star in a cross over match kinda like big show did also i thnk he wouuld be feuding with cena i think he would get the better of cena i think he would be stone cold equivelant to him it would also make sense for him and tyson kidd to have a feud and i really think him and undertaker wouldve had a classic match i wouldve loved to see him face orton in ortons viper character but i think he would be in the main event alot but he mite have got mistreated enough i think he wouldve gone to tna ah him vvs joe or aj would be great imagine also him vs kurt angle see if chris wouldve gone there he would have less head trauma and wouldnt have went nuts also i think it woulld make tna look legit how u ask they would have joe angle and benoit imaginne them feudiing for the title or sting vs benoit or steiner vs benoit in a tough guy feud i think he would be a guy to take down angle and joe he he would make a great champ add some great legit history to the titlle bc he was that good in the ring sure mr.anderson did help tna by joining them but benoit in tna i mean hes a legit wrestler he was a horseman and also he was a badass aaat least in the ring that is i look at him as i would bruno sammartino anyone ellse see that besides me taht he seems like a old school guy like taker or bruno someone taht can straight wrestle

I think he would be in a similar position to someone like Mark Henry. The fans respect him and he would occasionally get a PPV main event spot, but likely wouldn't have won the title again unless they had a short roster at some point and needed him to carry it for a while.

He also would likely be putting on wrestling clinics every week with guys like Kidd, Ziggler, Danielson, etc. Probobaly would've been a pro on NXT at some point and definitely would've had a fued for the US and tag titles by now.

Wow? Are you really comparing him to Mark Henry? First of all, Chris Benoit is a heap load better than Mark Henry in the ring, on the mic, and drawing all together. Chris Benoit is billed as a high-profile underdog because of all his work and little stardom, but that's not to say that he didn't get his dues. The guy was the second person to ever enter the Royal Rumble as #1 and walk out as a winner. Not only that, but he beat HHH and Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 20 in the main event, and then again at Backlash.

How can you compare someone like that to Mark Henry? Mark Henry who has done absolutely nothing in the main event scene. His most memorable moment is having a "baby" with Mae Young.

Chris Benoit would probably be retired by now. His condition was waring on him, and I think if he would of been right-minded then he would of quit by now to preserve what little sanity he had left. If he was still in the ring he would probably be a Chris Jericho type of level. High-profile feuds while putting rising talent over. He wouldn't be booked as weak by any means, but he wouldn't be a top contender. He would definitely of got another run with the strap before hanging up his boots.

Sadly, he'd probably be still holding either mid card title or retired. Unfortunately, WWE never really used him to his full potential. He definately was about helping younger guys, so a behind the scenes job would get my vote.

I'd like to think he'd be either WWE Champion or WHC, but seeing the pattern WWE was using with him, being a trainer or producer is highly likely IMO. Maybe had he retired after WM 20, we'd still be seeing him in some form. The problem with speculative threads like these are endless possibilities. Having Benoit around in 2011 would've been interesting to say the least.

As an oldschool WCW fan I have a lot of respect still for Benoit the wrestler. He literally gave his life for wrestling (brain damage). I think he would be in the IC or US champion hunt putting over young talent.

As an oldschool WCW fan I have a lot of respect still for Benoit the wrestler. He literally gave his life for wrestling (brain damage). I think he would be in the IC or US champion hunt putting over young talent.

I am a longtime WWE/WCW fan myself and I pretty much grew up watching Chris Benoit. No matter what he did in his personal life, I'll always remember him for being possibly the best technical in ring worker of all time. It sure didn't stop me from buying his School Of Hard Knocks dvd and enjoying most of his career(minus his last 3 years). WWE will probably never acknowledge him again, so watching his dvd is probably the best way of remembering the wrestler Chris Benoit.

Still, even trying to imagine where Chris Benoit might be today if circumstances were different is sad to contemplate...

Anyone see the "Wish Benoit was here" sign at NOC?

Anyway I Think if he WAS around today he would be a contender for the Daniel Bryan/Kurt Angle/CM punk "Best in the world" title.

Imagining him having great matches with the likes of CM Punk or Daniel Bryan in 2011 would've been awesome. I personally don't consider current Kurt Angle as being in that same category. Seeing a Benoit/CM Punk or Benoit/Daniel Bryan match at WM would be classic for sure. Just the idea of Daniel Bryan cashing in his MITB case on Benoit straight up for the title to me would've been a perfect wrestling clinic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back