When's the last time Randy Orton looked weak?

RockFan89

Closet Conservative and WWE Fan
Ever since Orton turned face I can't remember the last time he looked weak. He hasn't won every match obviously, but he seems to be squashing his opponents. Riley and Miz have kept attacking him and he somehow comes out on top every time. The first time he lost to the Miz was the cashing in of MITB after he was beat down by Nexus and he lost at TLC due to Riley. I can't remember anyone looking good against him.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is this a good thing?

Well, it's surely not a bad thing. But it does seem to be getting somewhat old. And with Morrison as the number 1 contender instead of Orton, i'm thinking this may change come Royal Rumble-Wrestlemania season. I think it's time for a heel turn, maybe. Just my opinion.

More importantly than this, when was the last time the Brooklyn Brawler was booked strong?

How can a top face being booked strongly be a bad thing? Faces should always look strong against the heel, even if it's not at first, as long as it's at the end. Not a bad thing at all.

randy orton is getting a push. and the only way for an established main eventer to get a push is for them to be like the terminator. although sheamus got the best of him afew times during their fued

Why would you want one of your top stars to look weak? What possible logic is there for that ?

Him looking strong only becomes a problem if it is at the cost of his opponent's credibility. Even than, if Orton squashes someone, who cares? They are getting squashed by a seven time world champion and one of the biggest stars on the roster.

Wrestling is a hierarchy, your position will dictate how you are protrayed. Orton looking weak would be a concern, not the other way around.

Ever since Orton turned face I can't remember the last time he looked weak. He hasn't won every match obviously, but he seems to be squashing his opponents. Riley and Miz have kept attacking him and he somehow comes out on top every time. The first time he lost to the Miz was the cashing in of MITB after he was beat down by Nexus and he lost at TLC due to Riley. I can't remember anyone looking good against him.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, is this a good thing?

Ive noticed the exact same thing that youre talking about. And yes, its an excellent thing. Why? Because you dont want one of your top competitors looking weak. As Orton isnt a typical face, any champion or top challenger will know Orton may be coming for you. Orton showed as much when he put Morrison on notice on Raw on Monday if Morrison should win the title. Having a dangerous, motivated competitor like Orton who is seen as unbeatable should push the rest of the locker room to up their game, so to speak. It doesnt mean that his competition has looked bad, its just that Orton has looked superior. Someone has to, right?

A champion is only as good as the competition that he faces. If a champion defeats just lower card wrestlers all of the time, he's not proving much. But as Miz did with MITB, and at TLC, he's defeated Randy Orton twice. Because Orton has been on the push of a lifetime in terms of looking unbeatable, the Miz is ultimately elevated by his wins, no matter how he does it.

Randy Orton's push upon winning the No.1 Contender's Match on Raw in late July was as strong as one John Cena received through his year long championship reign in 06/07. Orton didnt lose a match leading into his eventual title win all the way in September at NOC, including a clean win over the face of Raw and the company in one John Cena in a tables match. He was then utterly dominant in the 6 Pack Challenge, where he won the title, and in all subsequent title defenses. It took a Nexus attack and a MITB cash-in for Miz to win the title off of him 2 months later, and Miz still had difficulty beating Orton. Some may say that makes Miz look weak by the way that he beat him, but the argument could be made that it was the only way he could be beaten. So it gives Miz the rub of being an intelligent competitor.

So yes, Randy Orton's strong push has been a very good thing. Especially in his current status, where he's not mired in a feud. It leaves the rest of the locker room on notice, makes the up their game, and also gives a great rub to a champion, such as Miz, if he does score a victory over him. It's good for Orton in establishing dominance, and its a good thing for Raw in general. It gives the fans someone to distinctly get behind, as they expect big things from him. I don't see the negative in that.

Randy Orton is a top babyface. He's supposed to look strong in just about everything he does. Faces are generally booked to be the "superior" wrestler or the "better man" with the heels having to resort to using underhanded schemes and tactics in order to level the playing field or, ideally for them, to be the ones to come out ahead.

Honestly, the thought processes of how to book heels & faces among a lot of fans today are more than a little out there. Aside from your monster heels, the vast majority of heel wrestlers aren't booked to be these near superhuman, unbeatable badasses. Heels are supposed to be cowardly at heart, they're supposed to be bullies and the type of person to take advantage of another. Faces are supposed to be heroic, the tough guys that endure adversity and find ways to rise above it.

I'm a simple man. I like my women easy, my food fast, and my babyfaces to look strong.

That said, I have been frustrated at times when Randy Orton is bushwhacked by three different guys and manages to get the better of all of them, but when you're as over as he is, that's okay. Fans don't root for Randy Orton because he's a lovable loser, they root for him because he doesn't take shit and he dominates. It's in his character to be able to handle anything that comes at him, because that's who he is, a cool and talented bad ass.

Look at Undertaker over the past few years. For the most part, it's impossible to beat him cleanly, and you can only get the advantage over him if you're the craftiest of cheaters, or if you have demon magic like Kane. The only person who really gave him a fight was HBK, and he still failed.

The Undertaker, like Orton, is a bad ass who can handle anything thrown at him. The two characters are similar and it makes sense that they are both booked as very strong.

To be honest, this is a bunch of crap. Its the same type of thing that people talked about with Sheamus and that people have already talked about with the Miz's title run. Faces look strong and heels look weak. That is the way it is that is the way it will always be.

On the subject though, I think that Orton was made to look weak against Barrett in both of the matches for the title. The first you could say that Barrett was screwed out of by the Cena push and quick count and the second one Barrett had the match one before Cena interfered.

All your top babyfaces will look strong, and when your babyfaces fight cowardice opponents like the Miz, they will look stronger.

And I think Randy Orton looking strong is a great thing, not simply because he is obviously my favorite superstar... but I truly feel (although I can understand why this sounds bias, cuz he is my favorite superstar) that he has waited in line and really come to deserve this. Randy Orton has flip flopped out of the main event picture multiple times, since his first World Title reign, which could simply be to change the record books and remove Lesnar as the youngest champ, he has done so many different things, He fought Taker at that year's Mania, the following Mania he was involved in the world title picture but didnt win, but through out the year had feuds with Kurt Angle, the Undertaker, Carlito, DX, an alliance with Edge... then he participated in Money in the Bank, 24 and 25 he was in the title hunt but he had an injury in between and still didn't shoot right into it. Point is, he has had a very versatile career. He has been all over the card and he has been portrayed as a weak heel prior to his Viper phase.

This is simple a new era of his career, and this is a good thing because it is different then what he's done before. Some people don't like it because sure it gets old and it gets old fast. But there are people like John Cena who look like Superman all the time.

... and as far as the last time Randy looked weak... probably during the Miz cash in... or when he lost clean to Jack Swagger at this past years Extreme Rules ppv, which I still give Swagger props for.

orton is boring how do people like him and its annyoing hes getting killed three seconds later hes up really well done

He's WWE's top babyface with John Cena, it's dumb business move if they make their face of the WWE look weak, plus, he needs to look strong right now, he's feuding with a guy who's just made it to the main event and won the WWE Title. If they made him look weak during this, it'd be stupid.

It's just not smart if you make the face of your company look weak, dude.

problem is, every1 gets worried when there fav heel. orton(now face) jericho miz.... become face, then super face, then unstopable, every1 worries about cena 2.0. Orton is booked the way a superface should be...... wins every minor match then loses at ppv's by getting screwed. simples

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back