What's the worst wrestlemania of all time?

Arsenal 4 life

Frankie <3
it's wrestlemania on Sunday so I'd though I'll check out the limited edition wrestlemania magazine , it got me wondering what's the worst wrestlemania of all time??

for me it's wrestlemania 2000 (16) , it had no normal 1 on 1 matches!! that's what wrestling is built on and at the biggest wrestling show they had no 1 on 1 matches!

personally, i reallllllly liked WM16... the main event from the rumble to the SD! b4 the event gave you something to watch and enjoy. the second the rocks foot hit the ground and yet he still won i loved it....

i personally think WM 22 was a shocker.... i cant stant so many aspects of it:

1) Cena beat HHH - what a major surpise that is!

2) Kane & Big Show v Carlito and Chris Master - this would be lucky to appear on Superstars

3)Boogeyman v Booker T - how this was on ANY PPV, let alone a mania??!!

4) Rey beat Angle & Orton - this is personal.. i find rey VERY boring to watch and would put him in the same 5 move bracket as cena... but his 5 are more high flying

5)Undertake beat Mark Henry.... again personal.. .taker has ALWAYS bored me, his gimmick has always been stupid and will continue to be.... and mark henry has never been a draw....

Only redeeming factors were HBK v VKM and edge v Foley....

I'm sure alot of you will disagree with me on this, but im very outspoken and often have very different views to others.... but i guess thats why these forums are here....

Forgive my laziness, but I'm going to paste a post that I created about a year ago. Most of you probably haven't read it anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WrestleMania XV

This is probably the worst WrestleMania of all time. I have said many times that 1999 was the worst year during my time watching wrestling. There was so much wrong with 1999 and a lot of it was on display at WM15.

Billy Gunn vs. Al Snow vs. Hardcore Holly: I just can&#8217;t understand why Road Dogg was pulled out and Billy Gunn was put in. This is why I hate Russo. He thinks any kind of swerve is clever. I think Russo tells his kids he&#8217;s taking them to the zoo and then takes them to the circus instead just for the hell of it. Road Dogg probably wouldn&#8217;t have made this a great match, but the match itself is overshadowed by the pointless swerve. I spoke briefly with Billy Gunn at WM17 axess and asked him why the switch was made. He said he had no idea. So it&#8217;s not only us that can&#8217;t figure it out, the champion himself had no clue either.

D Lo Brown & Test vs. Owen Hart & Jeff Jarrett: This shows a major lack of creativity. I&#8217;m sure this was supposed to be Mark Henry instead of Test; possibly a six person match involving the Ivory and Debra. Mark Henry got hurt and this was the best they could come up with. Just terrible. The battle royal should have been won by the Hardy Boys. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I honestly thought this at the time. The Hardys could have been unlikely winners of the battle royal and had a huge underdog story in the title match. The Hardy Boys vs. Owen & Jarrett would have stolen the show. I see the Hardys putting up a good fight and the fans believing there would be an upset. Then one of them gets caught in the sharpshooter and taps out. They get the loss, but finally get their big break with a match at mania and are put on the map. That would have been a mania moment that held up over time. Instead the brilliant minds of 1999 throw two random people in there that had nothing to do with each other before or since.

Butterbean vs. Bart Gunn: I&#8217;ll join the conspiracy theorists and say this was done to humiliate Bart Gunn after he ruined the push of Steve Williams. Sadly this is probably the most remembered part of this show.

Mankind vs. Big Show: This match didn&#8217;t work for me. I found it to be boring without having a good flow. The face turn at the end didn&#8217;t mean much. Show had only been around a month so we didn&#8217;t even get a real chance to hate him which took the drama away from him turning face.

Road Dogg vs. Val Venis vs. Ken Shamrock vs. Goldust: This is like the Sesame Street game where one of these things doesn&#8217;t belong here. Unfortunately the one that didn&#8217;t belong was the champion. As mentioned before Billy Gunn was supposed to be in this match instead of Road Dogg. Billy actually had a storyline with the others whereas Road Dogg didn&#8217;t fit in at all. I don&#8217;t care how the match went. The pointless switch makes this an F.

Triple H vs. Kane: More pointless swerves. I swear you needed a scorecard to try to keep track of what was going on in 1999. This was nothing special.

Tori vs. Sable: I don&#8217;t even want to bother. Just terrible.

X Pac vs. Shane McMahon: I wasn&#8217;t happy about this match going in, but this was probably the best match on the show. I was pleasantly surprised by this. Keep in mind my expectations were low and everything sucked up to this point. It&#8217;s not a good sign when a non wrestler puts on the best match of the night. This is the match where Triple H turned heel. He would quickly become the top heel and stay that way for seven years (except a brief face stint after the quad injury). This was actually significant, but guess what. No one really remembers this being the event where Triple H turned. Why? Because it blended in with all the other swerves in 1999. Because of all the pointless swerves from that time the one significant one gets lost in the shuffle.

Undertaker vs. Big Bossman: Ugh. There clearly wasn&#8217;t a decent opponent for Taker this year. The only reason this was hell in a cell is because the bookers realized Bossman was a terrible opponent for Taker. They figured with all the attention the previous cell matches got they could get a buzz going for this. It didn&#8217;t work. Boring.

Steve Austin vs. The Rock: I know a lot of people like this match, but I don&#8217;t see it. I did not care for this match at all. It was so 1999. There was all kinds of brawling outside the ring and in the aisle. I hate that. This was pretty much how every main event went in 1999. I expect more from mania.

Well it looks like I didn&#8217;t have a single good thing to say about this event. I&#8217;m the same guy who tried to defend WM9 and WM11 a little so what does that tell you? This has to be the worst mania of all.

personally, i reallllllly liked WM16... the main event from the rumble to the SD! b4 the event gave you something to watch and enjoy. the second the rocks foot hit the ground and yet he still won i loved it....

i personally think WM 22 was a shocker.... i cant stant so many aspects of it:

1) Cena beat HHH - what a major surpise that is!

2) Kane & Big Show v Carlito and Chris Master - this would be lucky to appear on Superstars

3)Boogeyman v Booker T - how this was on ANY PPV, let alone a mania??!!

4) Rey beat Angle & Orton - this is personal.. i find rey VERY boring to watch and would put him in the same 5 move bracket as cena... but his 5 are more high flying

5)Undertake beat Mark Henry.... again personal.. .taker has ALWAYS bored me, his gimmick has always been stupid and will continue to be.... and mark henry has never been a draw....

Only redeeming factors were HBK v VKM and edge v Foley....

I'm sure alot of you will disagree with me on this, but im very outspoken and often have very different views to others.... but i guess thats why these forums are here....

i tend to agree with you on most of this the only thing i dont on is the undertaker i have watched him for years and he is still awesome to me....however that match at mania was a snore and i didnt like it

i think the worst wrestlemania would have to be a recent one 27 the only good match to me was taker vs hbk and thats it

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this years has the making to be the worst WrestleMania of All Time. Seriously I care nothing for the card at all! Oh well. TNA is slowly starting to look like an option!

wrestlemania 23 was the worst wrestlemania i have ever seen it is the only mania i can recall that i only enjoyed one match from the entire card john cena and shawn micheals put on an epic match one of cena's best that match made the whole show honestly besides that you had

taker vs batista - boring because you knew batista had no chance of ending the streak

money in the bank- kennedy/anderson won?????

benoit vs mvp- another match not worth watching

hair vs hair- lashley vs umaga thats all i have too say lmao:lmao:

and a divas match and another boring match or 2

terrible show besides the main event

You guys have listed some sheer snoozfests for real. Manias that I can name off the top of my head that were "tragic" are 9, 11, 15, 16, 18, 22, 23, 26 and wait for it.....27. This is going to be perhaps the most craptastic mania known to man. After UT/HHH, theres absolutely nothing to be interested in except maybe Sheamus/Bryan. You know its bad when two of your better talents are in a 6 person tag match with Snooki. I'm normally geeked for mania but not this year at all. How many manias are we gonna have to see Cena winning the title and what not. As a "fan", I shouldnt be held hostage to watch one match while the others stink it up to the max.

Wrestlemania 11 hands down was the absolute worst Wrestlemania. There is no arguement.

1. Allied Powers vs. Blu Brothers

2. Razor Ramon vs. Jarrett

3. Taker vs. King Kong Bundy

4. Owen Hart/Yokozuna vs. Smoking Gunns

5. Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund

6. Diesel vs. HBK

7. Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigalow

PLEASE someone try to tell me there really was a worse Wrestlemania than this one.

This is in response to the poster that said 22. It may not be the worst, but it gets my vote because I was at that motherfucker live. The only redeeming thing about being at Wrestlemania 22 in Chicago was the fact that us fans let them absolutely have it for putting up such a shitty card. Angle vs. Taker ABSOLUTELY should have main evented, but instead, we get this epic encounter at NO WAY OUT??? Sounds like a couple of folks by the names of Hunter and John just may have been shown up by that one, and we can't have that happen. Henry vs. Taker at Mania? Really? REALLY? Boogeyman? Is this Wrestlemania or a bad episode of SmackDown?? But at least HBK was there to put on a, whoa, wait a second, we'll just put him in there and have him destroy Vince. Foley vs. Edge was pretty decent, I'll give them that, as was Mickie vs. Trish and the triple-threat (thanks to Angle), but good fucking lord! Who booked that shit! Actually, from about 22 up through 26, I think TPTB were just banking on Mania selling on name alone. Thank god someone backstage finally spoke up and we get something somewhat resembling what a WrestleMania card should be this year.

Wrestlemania 11 hands down was the absolute worst Wrestlemania. There is no arguement.

1. Allied Powers vs. Blu Brothers

2. Razor Ramon vs. Jarrett

3. Taker vs. King Kong Bundy

4. Owen Hart/Yokozuna vs. Smoking Gunns

5. Bret Hart vs. Bob Backlund

6. Diesel vs. HBK

7. Lawrence Taylor vs. Bam Bam Bigalow

PLEASE someone try to tell me there really was a worse Wrestlemania than this one.

I already told you 15 was worse. At least the storylines from 11 made sense. The world and IC title matches were pretty good. Diesel vs HBK alone makes 11 better than 15. I'd still put 11 in the bottom five but it's still better than 15. There was not one good thing about 15.

Wrost WrestleMania has to be WrestleMania 2. Coming from 3 cities, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles and broadcast on closed circuit for people in each city watching the rest of the show.

New York

"Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff vs. "Magnificent" Don Muraco w/ Mr. Fuji went to a double countout

Intercontinental Championship
Randy "Macho Man" Savage w/ Elizabeth def. George "The Animal" Steele to retain his title

Jake "The Snake" Roberts def. George Wells

Boxing Match
Mr. T w/ Joe Frazier and the Haiti Kid def. "Rowdy" Roddy Piper w/ Cowboy Bob Orton by DQ

Chicago:

Women's Championship
Fabulous Moolah def. Velvet McIntyre to become new champion

Flag Match
Corporal Kirchner def. Nikolai Volkoff w/ Classy Freddie Blassie

WWE and NFL Battle Royal
Andre the Giant def. Jimbo Covert (Chicago Bears), Pedro Morales, Tony Atlas, Ted Arcidi, Harvey Martin (Dallas Cowboys), Dan Spivey, Hillbilly Jim, King Tonga, Iron Sheik, Ernie Holmes (Pittsburgh Steelers), Big John Studd, B. Brian Blair, Jumpin' Jim Brunzell, Bill Fralic (Atlanta Falcons), Bret "Hit Man" Hart, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, Russ Francis (San Francisco 49ers), Bruno Sammartino and William "Refrigerator" Perry (Chicago Bears)

World Tag Team Championship
The British Bulldogs w/ Captain Lou Albano and Ozzy Osbourne def. The Dream Team, Brutus Beefcake & Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, w/ Luscious Johnny Valiant to become new champions

Los Angeles

Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat def. Hercules

"Adorable" Adrian Adonis w/ Jimmy Hart def. Uncle Elmer

Terry & Hoss Funk w/ Jimmy Hart def. Tito Santana & Junkyard Dog

Main Event: WWE Championship Steel Cage Match
Hulk Hogan def. King Kong Bundy w/ Bobby "The Brain" Heenan to retain

This is in response to the poster that said 22. It may not be the worst, but it gets my vote because I was at that motherfucker live. The only redeeming thing about being at Wrestlemania 22 in Chicago was the fact that us fans let them absolutely have it for putting up such a shitty card. Angle vs. Taker ABSOLUTELY should have main evented, but instead, we get this epic encounter at NO WAY OUT??? Sounds like a couple of folks by the names of Hunter and John just may have been shown up by that one, and we can't have that happen. Henry vs. Taker at Mania? Really? REALLY? Boogeyman? Is this Wrestlemania or a bad episode of SmackDown?? But at least HBK was there to put on a, whoa, wait a second, we'll just put him in there and have him destroy Vince. Foley vs. Edge was pretty decent, I'll give them that, as was Mickie vs. Trish and the triple-threat (thanks to Angle), but good fucking lord! Who booked that shit! Actually, from about 22 up through 26, I think TPTB were just banking on Mania selling on name alone. Thank god someone backstage finally spoke up and we get something somewhat resembling what a WrestleMania card should be this year.

I was there too and I remember things much differently. The crowd was pretty hot for most of the night. I've read so many times people wishing for Undertaker vs. Angle at mania. I've even said it myself. It just wasn't realistic given the title situation. WWE would have either had to put the belt on Taker or have the streak end. They didn't want to do either. Batista getting injured threw a monkey wrench into that mania. Either way it was still a pretty good show. The crowd loved HBK vs. Vince. As you said, Edge vs. Foley was good. The main event was good and helped by the hot crowd who were enjoying themselves. WM22 could have been better but there was too much that was good to make this the worst mania.

So Diesel / HBK was better and bigger then Rock / Austin ? your buggin... 15 might not of been the best but it had the best roster arguable of any Wrestlemania. Then you say all of '99 pretty much sucked? That is was people look back at now and wish we had. I been to quite a few wrestlemanias and believe me Philly was hot for Wrestlemania 15.

Stop hatin

Wrestlemania 15 is the worst. The Rock simply wasn't ready for a match of that magnitude in early 1999 and I much rather would have had Austin vs. Undertaker instead. Everything else on the card was boring as they had to have Hell In A Cell to hide Bossman's weaknesses. 1998 and 2000 were great but 1999 was terrible. Only thing great about that year was HHH starting to come into his own as a heel.

More modern times for me here, But WM 26...Worst I'd seen...
Lets see, i cant remember most of the matches, but i remember the terrible ones, like...
Bret Hart w/ Anyone else with Hart in there name vs VKM - Ok, bret was in no way able to compete...so why let him compete...Publicity i hear you cry, probley. Worth paying £14.99 to watch...No
Cena vs Batista - Cena wins...again...no Suprise or curveball thrown in...just Cena Wins.
Money in the Bank - Enjoyed the match dont get me wrong...its just post WM what annoys me..Jack Swagger goes from jobbing to Santino, To winning MITB, To World Champion, To jobbing to Kofi and Morrison...I'm Just Sayin...

Well, I hate to say it... actually I'm not..

WM9 was the worse.

Bret Hart loses the belt due to salt in the eyes. Then Hulk Hogan comes in and wins the match, and becomes the new champion. Eh!

The mid-card was rough too. The Undertaker took on Giant Gonzalez, and he ended up getting chlorophyll-ed.

I think Bob Backlund took on Razor Ramon.

Hogan's tag match with Brutus the Beefcake and Money INC. was just trash.

The rest of it was just awful. I think Doink had match that night as well.

So, Wrestlemania 9 has to be the worse.

PS... For the guys saying WM27 might be the worse, it hasn't even happen yet. Plus no Money in The Bank! I've been waiting years for WM not to have this match.

Disagree with me or not, but, the worst Mania for was #20.

With the exception of Taker/Kane...the return of the Deadman, and HBK/HHH/Benoit main event, the crowd was completely dead, and almost seemed like they didnt want to be there.

This made it seem like I waisted my money ordering this, luckily the two matches I mentioned, somewhat saved it for me.

So Diesel / HBK was better and bigger then Rock / Austin ? your buggin... 15 might not of been the best but it had the best roster arguable of any Wrestlemania. Then you say all of '99 pretty much sucked? That is was people look back at now and wish we had. I been to quite a few wrestlemanias and believe me Philly was hot for Wrestlemania 15.

Stop hatin

Nope, not going to stop hatin. WM15 and 1999 sucked in my opinion. I am not one of the people who look back and wish we had that now and I know I'm not alone. I think Diesel vs. HBK was a lot better than Austin vs. Rock. Austin vs. Rock was nothing but a sloppy brawl that barely spent any time in the ring. Austin and Rock may have been bigger names, but the match was nowhere near as good as Diesel vs. HBK.

Rock vs austin was better than wm11 by itself...wwe barely even shows bits and pieces of 11.

Look, I love Austin and Rock but this match was terrible. People just think of the characters, the promos, and the hype but don't remember the actual match. Go back and watch it again. It's terrible. WM15 was a terribly booked show and these two popular stars didn't do anything to save the show like HBK and Diesel did in 1995.

It's a far cry but I'm going to say Wrestlemania Sixteen was the worst Wrestlemania I've seen, and I haven't seen any of them after Wrestlemania Eighteen except for Wrestlemania Twenty-five. Firstly, like many people pointed out, there was no match featuring competition in a "singles match" traditionally. I wouldn't even expect that sort of thing at Extreme Rules.

The opener was not actually too bad of a match for the part of D'Lo Brown but the other people looked and acted horribly. The Hardcore Battle Royal, as Brain pointed out in another thread, showed the wrong person winning, and plus, seemed like a terrible segment of Sunday Night Heat. Steve Blackman was alright teaming with Al Snow but I can not to this day remember who they fought without somebody bringing it up or thinking of it as a statistic. Oh, the opponents were Test and Albert.

The Triangle Ladder Match was pretty decent but that was all it seemed to me, without taking anything away from it. Again, it was not a traditional wrestling match. I think Too Cool and Chyna may have followed next to take on the Radicalz, but neither Dean Malenko nor Perry Saturn seemed excited enough to be there considering it was a first appearance at Wrestlemania for them, and Scott Taylor on the other side was acting hardly any more than a novelty act. Next, the Triple Threat Match for the Intercontinental Championship and for the European Championship, being carried out with one fall for each title was simply overrated. These types rarely seem to deliver and Angle being the "real athlete" he was did not really step up to put on a classic performance, though I was not expecting anything more than technical wrestling, which he, Benoit and Jericho sure finely did deliver.

The divas were not bad to watch, but they did not provide a special "Wrestlemania moment". Then we saw a drugged addict in Jesse James, also known as the Road Dogg, team with some flash in the pan that could not get past the phase of acting like an older gimmick of the "1-2-3 Kid", which I always thought was horrible, taking on the unlikely partners of an overweight Samoan, who had no business being on Wrestlemania this time other than to provide comical entertainment to people acting childish, and Kane who at ninety-nine percent of the time did not show that he cared who the partner was.

Also, the main event may have been the second worst last match on the card of a Wrestlemania of all times, although that disrespect would go to Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor. Mick Foley could barely walk, Paul Wight did not seem motivated enough, and the time after they were eliminated with left a disaster, as again for the second Wrestlemania in a row, the only remaining match on the show featured a big brawl OUTSIDE of the ring. Seriously, this event made Wrestlemania Eleven and Wrestlemania Nine look almost golden.

Wrestlemania 11 has to be the worst Mania of all-time. Not only the dibacle of having a non-wrestler, a football player main eventing your biggest ppv of the year. It didn't feel like a Wrestlemania, they were in too small of an arena, and the atmosphere, the crowd, and the whole stage, just looked like another ppv. Plus, there were no special moments that are remembered throughout history. That's why I think Wrestlemania 11 is the worst Mania.

Wrestlemania 11 has to be the worst Mania of all-time. Not only the dibacle of having a non-wrestler, a football player main eventing your biggest ppv of the year. It didn't feel like a Wrestlemania, they were in too small of an arena, and the atmosphere, the crowd, and the whole stage, just looked like another ppv. Plus, there were no special moments that are remembered throughout history. That's why I think Wrestlemania 11 is the worst Mania.

Agreed WM11 was the worst and you hit the nail on the head with the arena, atmosphere & crowd.

I mean, come - Hartford, CT The Hartford Civic Center for a WM?!?!? I know from being there that place is a dump.

It was also no accident it was 1995 which was one of the worst WWF years ever. They almost went bankrupt that year and Harford is the first small market city to ever host a WM. The thing was WWF knew they would not sell out in a major city / arena that year so they went bargain basement.

WWF should have just copied the 1994 MLB season which had no World Series and followed suit to cancel WM that year.

I always find myself being able to be captured in the atmosphere come Wrestlemania season and I totally buy into the hype. I can actuaally put my smarkiness to the side for night out of the year. That being said, the only time in my life that I can recall being disappointed with a WM PPV is Wrestlemania 15. This card just sucked. I see alot of people saying that 11 was worse but I'm pretty confident that these people are just looking at the cards having not actually seen the matches. Austin/Rock at 15 makes HBK/Diesel look like Steamboat vs Savage. The WM15 main event was a fucking snooze fest, not unlike the rest of the card. The only redeeming quality was seeing Bart Gunn get legitimately knocked the fuck out by Butterbean. That shit was hilarious.

I also can't take anyone who says WM26 was terrible seriously. 3 outstanding main events with one of them being an all time great match with an emotional outcome is terrible? Get a clue. It's behind 17 and 19 as my 3rd favorite Wrestlemania of all time.

My least favorite Mania and I cannot believe it hasn't been said already, is Mania 25. The only thing that this Mania has is Taker vs HBK 1. Other than that it's nothing special at all. Creative's title plans for Jericho that Mania were "Fuck You Jericho", The IC title match lasted 25 seconds, the diva battle royal (which we got NO entrances a little more on that in a moment) was won by a damn comedy guy in Santino, before that match Kid Rock killed the place by playing for over 10 minutes, ANOTHER triple threat world title match (sorry I dont think there is anything I hate more than multiple man title matches at Mania), and not only that but the freaking Big Show was in it. That match gets a pass though as I feel it is pretty underrated. Last but not least we have one of the worst Mania main events in history with Triple H vs Randy Orton.

Seriously...Why did they have to do HHH vs Orton again in the damn Main event of Wrestlemania?? No one ever cared about seeing these two fight and why would they want to now? The build was pretty epic, I'll give it that, but we all should have known better giving who was in the match. Should have been No DQ Period. Not to mention this same match + Cena was at Mania 24 for the championship. Did they seriously have nothing else for the WWE title match? They had to resort to these two?

Another thing that I think hurts this Mania greatly is that Batista was injured. Yes you read that right. The first thread I ever did on this site was saying what Mania 25 COULD have been with Batista. Im pretty sure Vince would have given his left nut for Batista vs Cena for the 25th Wrestlemania. Also would have opened the door for several other match types as well

anyway...rant over.

Oh and to F.A.T. above me, completely agree Mania 26 is in my top 3 as well. People must have ridiculous standards if they say 26 sucked

Wrestlemania 8 is definitely at the top of my shit list. The fact that they never went through with the Hogan vs Flair main event was beyond me.. and only one match went over 14 minutes which was the Flair vs Savage match.. The Hogan vs Sid MAIN EVENT was a whopping 12 minutes and change... i mean... really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back