• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whats the big deal about blood on tv?

Heartbreak_Kid_707

Championship Contender
Alright i understand the chair shots to the head, thats dangerous..i get it. and yes i loved the AE and would love to see it again BBBUUTTT that is NOT what this thread is about...

Everybody keeps saying that "If you wanna see blood go watch a snuff film or the internet"..thats bull crap...Im not comparing to TNA...Look at JUST about every show on tv...Criminal Minds, Law and Order (ANY Law and Order), CSI (ANY CSI), any law show or criminal show and even ALOT thats not criminal ..Some of the MOST TOP Rated shows on public television. All have blood, and show how is happens and even show it happening. But the minute it happens on WWE its banned...and dont say its cause of the money ..Dick Wolf (creator and producer of Law and Order) and jerry Bruckheimer (creator of CSI) are loaded and have two ofthe top shows on tv...

Im no talking about the physical aspect of bladding and makeup..im talking about the appearance of blood on tv...??? whats the difference..

The thing is. with those other shows. The Blood is fake. With the wwe alot of the times, the blood is real. Also the are targeting kids with pg. Do you want your young kid's to watch a show where the have blood running down their face like the old stone cold vs bret hart or even cena vs jbl. I really wouldn't want my kids in to that much violence. I think that is another reason why they dont want blood. Blood also is just not necessary for the show. They are doing just fine with out. The business for the wwe is booming and they have alot of revenue coming in.

This is just another benefit for the wrestlers because blading can be very dangerous to do. So its just a better business decision all together for them.

Well, for one, many of the governing bodies that regulate pro wrestling have different regulations with regards to blood on the show. I think it may be Kentucky (?) that has a no blood clause in its Fight Commission regulations, and if the WWE doesn't meet those regulations, then they can be banned from participating in that state.

But, as far as the children goes (which, lets face it, that's what you're getting at, even if you're not saying it), just because those other shows have blood, that doesn't mean children should be watching them. I mean, look at those shows you named...NONE of those shows are targeted towards children, and children should not be watching it. Wrestling, on the other hand, does target children for its programming, and considering the bad reputation wrestling already has, they need to do all they can to make sure parents allow their children to watch.

I think the more important question is...what kind of human being can't enjoy a show unless someone is bleeding? Does it really matter if there is no blood?

Sly - It's still enjoyable, but as unrealistic as it is, with blood, it's *that* much more realistic, edgy, and badass. You gotta admit, it is fun to watch a guy get smashed with a barbed wire baseball bat and watching them pour blood. Don't you miss that?

They don't need it. I personally think when they bleed it makes it looks more unrealistic. Also, its a big step in WWE's "PG era" and as long as it stays PG we will no longer see any blood.

Sly - It's still enjoyable, but as unrealistic as it is, with blood, it's *that* much more realistic, edgy, and badass. You gotta admit, it is fun to watch a guy get smashed with a barbed wire baseball bat and watching them pour blood. Don't you miss that?

If that's what you need to be entertained by a wrestling show, you should start watching crap like CZW.

There have been plenty of instances where blood could make a match better and more intense, but it isn't necessary.

Take for instance the cage match between Bret and Owen Hart at SummerSlam '94. That was a cage match where not a drop of blood was spilled, and it's been heralded as being one of the best Cage Matches ever.

You still felt the intensity, you still felt the animosity, and you still felt the drama.

This is hardly the 1st time that the WWE has banned their wrestlers from blading. It was banned for much of the 90's. Wrestlers weren't really allowed to do it until Austin did at Wrestlemania 13.

Blood is fine once in a while, but I don't really miss it. I don't watch the WWE and think, "Man, that match would've been a lot better if that guy was bleeding like a stuck pig"! OK, maybe I think that during Miz's matches, but not anyone else.

I don't know why people are acting like what the WWE is doing to be more Family Friendly is so unprecedented. I'm guessing these people weren't around during the 80's and early 90's.

Yeah, I didn't mean in every match, but I still appreciated the blood every once in a while.

And yeah, I started tuning in around 04-05, so sadly/unfortunately I never watched when the AE was around. I've watched a good amount of matches from back then... Rock vs. HHH, Stone Cold vs. Rock, etc. and I honestly think those were some amazing matches.

Ok here I go again with why there isn't blood in WWE. The biggest factor is the health and well-being of the Superstars. Now you may ask, why is it just now being a factor? The answer is the wellness policy and everything that surrounds it. We and more importantly WWE has seen enough employees or former employees die way before they should have. I for one credit them for taking these steps to atleast help their wrestlers while they are in the company. I also don't see the lack of blood as something that takes away from the entertainment value.

Now from all the shows that the OP listed, I don't believe any are rated PG. They may be PG-13 or PG-14, but not PG. Which means they are not geared towards the whole family, while WWE programming is.

I predict that even if WWE programming ever phases back into some form of edgier television, you will still not see a whole lot of blood. You may see them bleed by accident, but the planned blading is a thing of the past. If you want blood then watch TNA, they seem to almost brag about the fact they have it and WWE doesn't.

thats the good thing about guys like kane and taker, they can't break their characters and have the ref fix them up when they are bleeding.

but idk what the big deal about the kids seeing blood. i was a lil kid during the attitude era and thats how i fell in love with wrestling. they would say and do things i could never, and i didn't understand the sex jokes anyway so they jus flew over my head. and it wasn't just me, my entire class was watching

In my opinion blood isn't necessary to make the show better. I think they banned it for many reasons. The main reasons being the safety and well being of the wrestlers. It definitely isn't as dangerous as unprotected chair shots to the head, but it's still not completely safe. The fact that WWE is geared towards children now. Is another reason why it's banned. No parent would want their kids to see someone bleeding all over the place.

It's not the first time blading has been banned. Growing up in the late eighties early nineties I don"t remember anyone bleeding very often. It wasn't untill the attitude era that they started using blood often. The only problem I have with the ban is when a match is stopped for the first sign of blood. I could see stopping it if their was a excessive amount of blood, but not when it's a little bit. It throws off the flow of the match in my opinion. I think blading should be banned, but like I said if it happens the hard way. They shouldn't stop the match unless the bleeding is an excessive amount.

Every time someone starta a new 'I miss blood in wrestling' thread, I feel compelled to comment because everyone else seems to forget one of the most important reasons why WWE banned the blood........

HEALTH & SAFETY!!!

I'm sure we all know that blading is dangerous, I'm not trying to say you don't. The issue I'm getting at here is the spread of infections/diseases (anything from Hepatitis to HIV/AIDS) that are carried or transferred through the passing of bodily fluids, more often than not, blood.

Don't think this does not happen in wrestling. Sean Waltman was diagnosed with Hepatitis not long before he left TNA.

Undertaker had a hand in bringing this rule to WWE after his HiAC match against Randy Orton a few years ago because Orton, Taker and even Bob Orton all got busted open, but no-one had informed Mark Calloway that Bob Orton was positive for Hepatitis.

Diseases like this need to be prevented from spreading. Banning blood is a big step in doing this.

The disease aspect has been brought up (whenever I think of blood in wrestling, I cannot help but think of the Bob Orton incident that was mentioned), but people are also overlooking the legal aspect. When you go to a wrestling show, do you expect to get hit with someone else's blood?

It's not a regular occurrence- let me cut off anyone who says "oh, but how often does that really happen"- but it doesn't have to be. A wrestler who's bladed flicks his hair back, splattering a few people in the front row. They've all now been exposed to a medical biohazard (yes, blood is considered a biohazard.) Quite frankly I'm amazed that no one has ever sued (that I know of) a wrestling company for being exposed to someone else's blood unexpectedly. If you go to a baseball game, there's language on your ticket saying something to the effect of "foul balls are considered a regular hazard and you can't sue us if you're struck by one." No such language exists on the generic arena tickets issued for wrestling events, at least concerning exposure to blood.

What with how unpredictable civil jury trials can be, the legal reasons are reason enough to ban blood from your organization. I still believe that, used rarely, blood can raise the level of a match, but I don't think that having a good match is reason enough for taking on that kind of fiscal liability.

The banning on blood in WWE in two-fold.

Firsty, the H&S aspect as previously mentioned. Blood can spread HIV and Hepatitus as well as other diseases that I am not aware of. As wrestling involves 2 men grappling with each other, blood and bodily fluids will get on both competitors and could cause a spread of these diseases. Other sports including soccer have this rule, where if a player is cut, they have to leave the field of play for treatment and/or stitches and change their shirt.

Undertaker hit the roof a few years back when Cowboy Bob Orton bled on him, and he had not been informed that Orton had tested positive for HIV. With the amount of blood we have seen in wrestling over the years, especially in the original ECW (remember Jerry Lynn wiping blood off Steve Corino and painting his face like war-paint with it?!), that more wrestlers havent been diagnosed with diseases caused by blading.

Secondly, as the WWE is aiming for a PG product right now, wrestlers blading and slicing themselves open is not suitable for the target audience. I know as a young kid if I had wanted to watch wrestling and my parents saw 2 men covered in real blood after cutting their heads open with razor blades, they would have banned me from watching. Therefore I would not have been a fan and not purchased any merchandise, causing the WWE to lose money. Vince McMahon knows his audience and knows that parents do not want their kids to see violence, so this is the 2nd reason for the banning of blood.

Not at all neccessary. Wrestling, or atleast WWE has no need to spill blood around. I mean, all of the greatest matches have been without blood. Someone listed the cage match, and also, Taker-Shawn I. That match was epic, with no blood. Plus, I was watching DX vs Rated-RKO at N.Y.R 2007 and Orton and Edge were full of blood. I saw all the people pissed off (even I was). And that time wasn't even PG. Now it's PG. No parent would want their children to see blood flow like water on TV. No.

Surely it's a bit of a no brainer? As somebody up there pointed out, the blood here is real. That will not fit into a PG environment.

No. What the fuck? It's fun to watch a guy get hit with barb wire so he bleeds? THAT'S your definition of fun?

I think you're looking for entertainment in the wrong place. You should try the prison recreational yard. Lots of barb wire, lots of blood.

If you need the blood and ultra violence in order to enjoy pro wrestling, you aren't a fan of pro wrestling. You are a fan of blood and ultra violence, and are merely using pro wrestling to get it. You guys are posers. You think you are being edgy by proclaiming how great blood is in a wrestling match. Pro wrestling has gotten along just fine with VERY minimal blood being shown. You whine and bitch about the PG era, and how Vince isn't catering to your fucking needs anymore, because you are too stupid to understand that for decades and decades, pro wrestling has been PG, and they just never told you. The attitude era only happened because Vince was desperate to draw back the ratings he lost to WCW. If he hadn't been facing strict competition like that, he never would have gone along with it. As soon as his competition was gone, he started transforming it back to the way it was. The Attitude era was an aberration. Not the norm. Get over it.

Oh, but what about ECW???? What, you mean that little east coast company that was on at midnight on saturdays, where nobody could watch them, where they went bankrupt because they made so little money that half of the time the wrestlers got stiffed on their paychecks? That ECW? The wrestlers in the real ECW had talent, for the most part. They didn't need the blood to put on good matches. It was completely unnecessary. Or are Raven and RVD so shitty as wrestlers, that they needed barbed wire, multiple blows to the head with foreign objects and blood strewn everywhere in order to be entertaining? Personally, if the wrestlers are good, they should be able to carry a match without resorting to bullshit like that.

i always loved blood in a match. i added drama and intensity to it. whenever i saw blood trickeling down someones face i was always on the edge of my seat because i thought it was epic. to me blood can make a star into a superstar

I think WWE could us blood in some of the more violent matches HIAC, last man standing etc. to really make it clear that the guys wanna beat the living hell out of eachother. Im happy as long as they dont use blading in every single match. like they do in TNA

Blood isn't the thing that has caused several WWE employees to pass away at an early age, its because of all the steroids and and overdose of painkillers. IMO blood makes matches more interesting, I mean look at hell in a cell matches these days, what makes them different from a singles match? They don't use any chairs or tables and there's no blood! Its really starting to get annoying. AND NO I DON'T WANT TO WATCH CZW!

Blading in a match is probably as old as pro wrestling itself and yet people typecast it as the need of the attitude era fans. Blood has been a part of the WWF right through the 70's and the 80's and right upto about 2007. It did not matter earlier if the rating was PG or TV-14 or whatever blading was a pretty integral part of pro wrestling.

I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue. On one hand as Cookie14 pointed out there is the threat of spreading diseases. Plus it does look stupid and unreal if a wrestler starts bleeding whenever he is hit by a chairshot. But something that is equally dumb iss the fact that you are stopping matches whenever a guy bleeds. That, in my opinion, needs to go away. It just kills the momentum of the match. Plus sometimes guys are pretty unsure as to what to do while the medical team is patching up the guy and so they stay in the same position as they were before the move had been hit. See the match between John Morrison and Jack Swagger from earlier this year. Morrison was hit by a kick to the gut when the medical team noticed that Swagger had been cut. Morrison sold the kick for the entire time while the medical team was patching Swagger up. That completely killed the match for me.

No one can deny that in the matches of the past blood has helped tell a story. Two good examples that come to my mind are Austin vs Hart and Savage vs Flair at Mania 13 and 8. So what I want to see is for WWE to abolish that stupid rule of having medics clean up a cut and also for WWE to allow blading in one or two matches in a year usually in the case of a really intense feud. That way it will be hard for the smarks to decipher if the cut was legit or was it a bladejob.

Not allowing blood to be seen on television is not a doctrine of the PG rating. So in my opinion there is no harm if a wrestler does a bladejob every once in a blue moon. As for infections WWE is wiser now than it was back in 2005. Surely they will not allow a guy who has hepatitis blade in the ring. Regular blood tests are a part of their medical check ups anyway so I do not think it is a problem any longer.

Yes what exactly is the big deal about blood in wrestling? Do people really need blood in order to enjoy a product? Because it becomes more legitimate to you? That's just awful because we all know that it's not legitimate either way.

The fact that people get all worked up over blood being banned, medics cleaning up a bloodied wrestler etc. is outrageous. People getting mad because a promotion cares about the safety of their wrestlers? The very people that go out there every night to perform for all of us fans. The very people that put their bodies on the line so we can enjoy a product.

Professional wrestling doesn't need blood to be good. A lot of great matches have been done without any blood whatsoever. Some matches have been good with blood - But do you honestly credit the blood for the match being better? For the product being better? That's bullshit, because it's all in the writing, booking and the performers abilities to put on a great match. Not the blood, not the blading, not the incisive violence that people seem to crave so badly.

i dont understand the reasoning behind banning blood. blood is apart of life, im sure kids have bled before. its entertaining and apart of wrestling

all these people whining and bitching about blood heres the thing all you attitude era junkies need to realize that even back then very few people bleed look at the 80's and early 90s wrestling was hugely popular and they did not need blood. blood is not needed to make pro wrestling entertaining and if you think it does then you can quit watching the wwe altogether turn your computers off log off here and watch some crappy backyard shit where they cant entertain you without blood because apparently you dont crave wwe you crave crappy shit like 20 year old guys on trampolines busting each other open with light bulbs and shit so if you need blood that much quit watching wwe and watch your crap backyard shit oh btw the original ecw and all its wrestlers was and forever will be a piece of shit

g.

No one can deny that in the matches of the past blood has helped tell a story. Two good examples that come to my mind are Austin vs Hart and Savage vs Flair at Mania 13 and 8. So what I want to see is for WWE to abolish that stupid rule of having medics clean up a cut and also for WWE to allow blading in one or two matches in a year usually in the case of a really intense feud. That way it will be hard for the smarks to decipher if the cut was legit or was it a bladejob.

Funny you should mention Wrestlemania 8 and Flair's bladejob. Flair was fined $500 for obviously blading during his match against Savage because back then the WWF had banned wrestlers from doing it.

Bret Hart was able to get away with it and make it look like an accident.

So, after Wrestlemania 8, you didn't see wrestlers bleeding until Wrestlemania 13.

That's 5 years without anyone spilling a drop of blood. If you were watching during that time, you would've barely noticed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back