What's in a debut?

"Cool Guy" Jensen

Undertaker for Champ!
We watch WWE every week (some of us anyway). We watch these superstars put their bodies on the line every week for us. What the casual WWE fan might overlook is the fact that each and every WWE superstar that are here now had to start somewhere.

This is where a debut comes in. Some debuts are great or was great, while some are a lot less than memorable. You have superstars win championships in their debut. Prime examples would be Carlito and Santino Marella defeating John Cena and Umaga for the United States and Intercontinental Championships, respectively. Then you have some very successful superstars, who's debut could have been better. Some examples include Triple H, Edge, and Evan Bourne. You also have some memorable debuts that could have either resulted in win or loss. Such as, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, and The Undertaker.

So, my question to all of you is can you tell how successful someone will be in the WWE partly by watching their debut? Now, I've seen several WWE debuts, and quite frankly, I couldn't care less about some of them. I've since learned that winning a title on your debut does not mean that WWE will push you to the top. I've also learned that a less than memorable debut does not mean that you will have a less than memorable career.

So, what's in a debut? Should your debut be associated with your success? Or does your debut not matter to measure your success? Explain.

A good debut could mean everything. But a bad debut doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be a bad wrestler. It can be a nice little stepping stone in which you gain a few fans, maybe capture the attention of the audience. But if your debut isn't what you wanted it to be, you go away and you start again. That one glitch generally won't stop you if you have the talent. Obviously, you won't have another 'debut' but as long as you're not repeatedly failing in the ring, having a 5 start match on your debut isn't essential. It isn't even expected.

If history has proven anything, it's that a debut can't be a means to appropriately determine the future success of a said superstar. Some wrestlers are immediately pushed hard, like your examples of carlito winning the US championship and utterly dominating Cena, but ultimately don't grasp quite the accomplishments and success they want. However, on the flip side, a wrestler may debut and have a somewhat small impact, such as your example of Triple H, and eventually attain substantial success and have numerous accolades.

So, you can't judge correctly on how successful a given superstar will become. I do belive, though, that the true stars will flawlessly emerge to the top, and get over with the fans if they are destined to be a star regardless of if their debut is good or not.

I don't really think the impact (or lack there of) on you're debut matters all that much to be honest, at least in terms of the sucess you will/will not experience throughout your career. Some debuts unquestionably have been memorable, remember,for example, the hype surrounding Mordecai and his dramatic entrance at Judgment Day to face Scotty 2 Hotty? Well other than that I remember nothing of him...he was built up to be this next big gimmick but was out the door soon after his semi -memorable debut.

The point is, you're debut is not going to dictate the success you experience. That's not to say that the effort and time spent into someone's debut is not an indicator that WWE want them to do well....take for example Kane, he had a really memorable debut and he has had a successful enough career...arguably Cena had a successful debut with his 'ruthless agression' shown towards Kurt Angle, or if not successful it was memorable and look where he is now.

Overall, I would say that a memorable debut can be helpful (i.e. anything which makes a lasting impression) but it will not necessarily shape your career...some people have had memorable and impactful debuts but piss poor careers and vice versa. Ultimately, I think your success will be measured by what you do in between your debut and your retirement.

What ever dude, a debut is a debut. It's a major pat on the back, you finally made it into the big leagues! I really don't get much of your question here bro. So I'm guessing your asking me what a sign of a successful career in WWE, TNA, etc, will be just by looking at a debut? O.k well how about Randy Orton? The dude came in and had instant charisma, decent mic skills, and was talented in the ring, plus the man looked like he was chizzled out of stone. I knew he was gonna make it big all a long. Another would be HBK, well his WWF debut. He was electrifying, and obviously the better half of the Rockers. He just had the 'IT' factor IMO.

We watch WWE every week (some of us anyway). We watch these superstars put their bodies on the line every week for us. What the casual WWE fan might overlook is the fact that each and every WWE superstar that are here now had to start somewhere.

This is where a debut comes in. Some debuts are great or was great, while some are a lot less than memorable. You have superstars win championships in their debut. Prime examples would be Carlito and Santino Marella defeating John Cena and Umaga for the United States and Intercontinental Championships, respectively. Then you have some very successful superstars, who's debut could have been better. Some examples include Triple H, Edge, and Evan Bourne. You also have some memorable debuts that could have either resulted in win or loss. Such as, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, and The Undertaker.

So, my question to all of you is can you tell how successful someone will be in the WWE partly by watching their debut? Now, I've seen several WWE debuts, and quite frankly, I couldn't care less about some of them. I've since learned that winning a title on your debut does not mean that WWE will push you to the top. I've also learned that a less than memorable debut does not mean that you will have a less than memorable career.

So, what's in a debut? Should your debut be associated with your success? Or does your debut not matter to measure your success? Explain.

I would simply like to make a very brief comment about that statement. I have heard this phrase come up from time to time, and I really have to dispute its validity.

Could it not be said that since the wrestlers are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars ... in some cases, a million or more ... to do what they do, who's to say that they aren't putting their bodies on the line for themselves, because that is what they want to do to earn a living?

You make it sound like they are out serving the public like police officers, and are risking their lives working for the good of the public.

I can easily see where one would say that a policeman, fireman, or definitely those in the Armed Services are putting their bodies on the line for the good of the country, state, or city that they serve. Not wrestlers, though, who work in the entertainment industry, who undoubtedly receive a much larger paycheck than those who work in law enforcement or military fields.

CM Punk, who from pretty much all accounts is not very fan friendly whatsoever, would probably not say that he does what he does necessarily for the fans. He does it because he enjoys wrestling, and he enjoys getting a good salary for doing so.

I don't think the debut is really all that important. If a superstar really is a superstar (someone already said it; has the IT factor) then it doesn't matter if it is his first of fifth or fiftieth time on TV, he will find a way to show the fans that he is a superstar. There are countless wrestlers in the WWE that could be amazing they just haven't found their own way of showing it yet.

And I don't think anyone said one of the biggest debuts ever....KANE

Kane was immediatly brought in and put up against the best in the game....that is one damn big debut. His debuts weren't dark matches they were main events. He has done fine; faded into the back but that seems more by choice than anything.

But, Cena's debut...he may have had other matches but I will always view his debut as his match against Angle. In that match, you saw the IT, that Cena has continued to try and bring out every week. I know he changed he persona as he went through his stages, but Cena showed who he was in the match against Angle. I don't care if you hate him, he loves reaction...Loves it, I honestly believe he is one of the guys who loves everything about this business and will do whatever he can to further it and put on the best show he possibly can, whether he has to jump of the top rope into a powerbomb or get thrown into a spotlight. Most may not pay attention, but Cena seems to enjoy getting his ass beat every match. You put Cena in a Hell in a Cell match and he will do most anything to entertain. For the record, I'm not a big Cena fan, it's just obvious how he feels about the business.

The one main thing that sets my views of a debut apart from the norm is that I don't really view someones first match as their debut, I really look at the first time they show who they really are and who they can be.
Austin at the King of the Ring is a good example, he established himself as a solid wrestler but at the KOTR he debuted as Stone Cold Steve Austin. I know he tried in ECW, but it just wasn't real until the KOTR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back