What Would 'Taker's Legacy Be Without The Streak?

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
Everyone who is a WWE fan knows who the Undertaker is. He's the Deadman, the Demon of Death Valley, The Last Outlaw, The Phenom. One of the absolute greatest professional wrestlers of all time and arguably the greatest big man wrestler of all time. He's done it all. The Undertaker has been in the ring with every major wrestling star in the business over the last 20 years(except Sting). He is undeniably awesome.

What's his biggest accomplishment though? His undefeated streak at Wrestlemania. When you look at everyone he has defeated at Wrestlemania, it reads as a who's who list of all time greats. It's something that will never be matched in the world of professional wrestling.

So if he were to ever be defeated at Wrestlemania; what would his legacy in professional wrestling be?

Yes he'll be remembered, but for what? The guy with an eerie entrance? For his gimmick? For his longevity? For his great versatility for a guy of his size? Remember; as much as I hate to say this, 'Taker has never really been 'The Man' for the WWE. Sure he's one of their top tier talents, but he's spent years riding behind people like Hogan, Hart, HBK, Austin, The Rock, HHH, Angle, Lensar, and Cena.

So, without his undefeated Wrestlemania streak; what will his legacy be?

I think his legacy is his gimmick and his tenure, the fact that he has managed to stay relevant for such a long time as a main event talent is pretty extraordinary even accounting for his part-time schedule the past few years. His gimmick has always anabled him to stay intimidating and powerful without the need to constantly win titles and basically sets him apart from everyone else in the WWE.

In football or 'soccer' terms he is a bit like Beckenbauer a tremendous leader, who whilst never being the face of the sport has consistently been one of the best and commands enormous respect.

Wow, a Beckenbauer sightng. What.....no Giorgio Chinaglia? Love it dude :)

Anyway, I think the streak does hold significant relativity to his legacy. I do not see his legacy being the same without it. IMO, his legacy is ICONIC. Without the streak, amazing.

To me, his legacy is not only the undefeated streak, but the longevity he has put into it. Assuming he wins Sunday, 20-0, and missing 2 since he started in WWE back in 1990...Yeah, he may not have been toted as The Man, but looking back, he was always one of the top 5 guys IMO, with everyone else either going to WCW, guys like HBK "retiring in 1998 to unretire in 2002" or rehabbing injury, Taker has always been around.

Ummm...that's like saying 'What's Jordan without the Championship rings?' How about just one of the most iconic men in the sport, an amazing performer and athlete, involved in some of the most memorable storylines and matches in history, and that's even before talking about tenure, the streak, being referred to backstage as 'the general' of the locker room for years, and on, and on, and on. I mean...was that question even serious?

I think another part of his legacy would be that he always tried to put people over and never really tried to pull any BS backstage.

He wouldn't have the streak but would still be highly regarded as one of the best ever.

Streak or no streak there is no arguing that Taker is the best big man in the history of wrestling, no big man has been able to do what Taker does. His deadman character is still memorable and all the things that went with that character is still memorable. The Undertaker was always a top guy even before the streak was even mentioned and just everything that went together with that character is memorable.

The streak is nothing more than an extra accolade to the career of the Undertaker. To be honest when the Undertaker retires the streak is gonna be one of the last things I think of when I think of the Undertaker. If Taker loses at Wrestlemania it will take nothing away from his career whatsoever. Goldberg's rise was built on the streak, Undertaker is the man with or without the streak.

His legacy without the streak would be the best big man ever, a memorable, long lasting character, mental and physical toughness and a guy who raised the bar for every wrestler who came after him. The Undertaker is the type of wrestler every wrestler from now until the end of time should strive to be.

Well he'd still be a 25 year + veteran.
A 7 time world champion.
7 time tag team champion.
Hardcore champion.
Royal Rumble winner...

and all round bad ass.

Whether Taker's Streak is broken or not at this point is irrelevant, especially when taking it into consideration in-terms of his legacy, because the legacy of the Streak is going to live forever.

The Undertaker's Streak isn't all his legacy is made up of though. If he lost to Triple H in two nights time, he'd still be remembered as the guy who destroyed the WWE for years, who took the WWE Championship from Hulk Hogan a year after his debut, the man who at one point was the youngest WWE Champion in history (Yokozuna broke his record!), the guy who had numerous historic matches, whether they be back and forth, some technical, most violent; Hell in a Cell with Mankind, First Blood with Austin, Street Fight with Flair etc, etc. The guy who has had some of the best and biggest feuds in WWE history, who people in the backstage area consider a legend, even recently a report surfaced that due to their respect of the guy nobody mentioned how he screwed up the date of Wrestlemania in a promo.

The Undertaker loses his Streak, It'll still be remembered for being one of the biggest draws in professional wrestling, one of the biggest angles in professional wrestling, even in-terms of sports Streak's it is an accomplishment that he has served as an active employee for so long that he's still able to do it and the guy is only 47 years old. He'll be known for being the guy people think is done and "finished", but still does his job probably because he loves it, because he knows he can still go and he knows he can still contribute to the young guys in the business. He'll be remembered as the guy who retired Shawn Michaels and as one of the corner stones of professional wrestling in its entirety.

The Undertaker with or without the Streak has cemented a huge legacy in professional wrestling. He was, and still is to some a pop culture figure, people in the mainstream still know of The Undertaker, he's featured on UFC programming whenever he is in attendance, he has had songs wrote about him (Eminem mentions him in a track, as does Nas and Fall Out Boy). His legacy is unquestionable and always will be.

Undertaker is a legend NO MATTER with the streak or not ... he has put so many people over... HHH, Shawn Michaels, Big Show, Randy Orton, Jeff Hardy, just to name a few. Granted the streak is what is awesome, itself but its the man himself that has only missed 2 WM's in his time here.

As much as I would love to see what they would do IF Undertaker loses, at WM I honestly dont see him going for 21, he is hurting way to much to keep putting his body through this kind of entertainment. If they were to of had him lose it should of been a casket match, where similar he did at Royal Rumble, but instead this time he would of said, HHH IM PROUD...I WILL REST IN PEACE!!! Lights Go Out and the Cong starts.

The streak is really the icing on the cake IMO

Taker doesn't even care about the streak anymore, he wants to lose at WM on his way out to someone climbing the ladder, that shows so much about his character as a person.

Undertaker has made a uniqe gimmick relevant his whole career (Aside American Badass but that was only a few years)

I'd say without the streak, the legacy is only a little bit damaged, but still 1st ballot HOF

The same as always? The streak only became famous a few years ago, i think most older fans (Attitude Era or pre) remember Taker "without the streak" back when nobody even thought of it and he was a legend even then.

I think only newer fans associate him with the streak, we are talking 15 year olds who started watching when Cena hit big.

The same as always? The streak only became famous a few years ago, i think most older fans (Attitude Era or pre) remember Taker "without the streak" back when nobody even thought of it and he was a legend even then.

I think only newer fans associate him with the streak, we are talking 15 year olds who started watching when Cena hit big.

This is exactly what I am talking about ... Undertaker has put over alot of people, forget the streak for a min, and look at this man. He has been one of the best known names to step into that ring. The first Survivor Series he debuted at w Brother Love you just had to know he was going to be around for a while. But no one could perdict that Undertaker was going to make this much of an impact on wrestling, but as time went on, he needed a change and thats what he did... he changed not only his looks, but his persona, his outlook

and yes I can say i knew who Mark Callaway was before he became the Undertaker, over in WCW.

The streak is instrumental to his legacy, but without it, his legacy would be how he made ridiculously bad wrestlers look good in the ring. Yes, he's a multi time world champ, tag team champ, the list goes on. But by making people like El Gigante look good is miraculous.

They had on WWE/24 Legends of Wrestling this topic and they all agreed that being the ring general behind the scenes and making awful wrestlers look good is talent. They said if anyone had to work with bad talent, the Undertaker made them look sensational. He has carried more matches than anyone in the history of WWE.

Great Introduction on the Undertaker. "The Phenom, The Demon from Death Valley, The Last Outlaw." You need an announement gig. But to answer your question, what would The Undertaker's Legacy be without the streak? This thing can go many ways, but I doubt that The end of the streak will send him crashing down to Jobber Status. The Undertaker is an established Star as well as his legacy. Not just Wrestlemania look at all the opponets he done defeated throughout his 20 plus years with the company. If the streak was to end, he'll still be remembered for the streak cause we be waiting for the next big star to come around for the next 21 years to top the 20-0 Streak. Of course he be known as one of the most mysterious, scariest, and most spookiest stars in the wrestling history, but his gimmick is nothing more than big match/main event worthy. If his streak was to end, he'll still be a dominant contender for the title, as well as the man everyone in the back respects back stage. But if his streak was to end then it'll be a sign of retirement. His streak is already in the record books, but it won't be the end of the world if he was to lose to a worthy opponet such as a Kane, Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, Big Show type of character. But I wouldn't look at his legacy no different, he's still one of the top stars in the company, and one of the top stars period; along with Hulk Hogan, HBK, Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Macho Man, Rock, and Stone Cold.

He will have one of the greatest legacies in professional wrestling with or with out the streak. His longevity has been mentioned several times, but also the people that he beat is something that he will be remembered for. He has taken on and beaten many of the legends in this sport: Superfly Jimmy Snuka, Jake the Snake, King Kong Bundy, Yokozuna, the Ultimate Warrior, and even the Immortal Hulk Hogan found out he wasn't that Immortal when facing the Deadman. I think that is what the bulk of his legacy will be, the people that he has defeated, not the Streak.
I believe another aspect of his legacy, but a much smaller part, will be that he was an innovator of matches. Look at the list of matches that he was in that were a first: Hell in a Cell, Casket, Buried Alive, Boiler Room Brawl, and Inferno...some of the most violent matches, but all great staples of his persona and career.

As others have said, The Streak is only part of Taker's overall legacy. It's a part that's gotten a lot of emphasis over the past 5 years or so but even without it, he's still one of the biggest and best in WWE history.

The Undertaker, for the most part, has had the same character for 20 years in the WWE. The gimmick has been tweaked and modified slightly, occassionally dramatically, every so often but it's always worked. His longevity and ability to remain not only relevant but one of the most over wrestlers in the history of the company, whether its a main event feud or a crap feud with someone like Great Khali, is something that most other wrestlers can only hope to have at some point.

If Taker loses to Triple H this Sunday or next year or 10 years from now, Taker will still be Taker. He'll still be remembered as someone that dominated WWE, had feuds with and beat many of the biggest stars in pro wrestling history, won 7 World Championships and was involved in some of the most memorable programs, matches and promos in WWE history. If he ever does lose at WM, that won't render all of those great moments, feuds, matches & accomplishments irrelevant.

I would like to thank everyone that has posted so far. Now I'm going to answer my own question.

I agree with mostly everyone. Streak or no Streak, 'Taker is still one of the all time greats in the world of professional wrestling and arguably the greatest big man that we have ever seen step foot inside of the squared circle.

As I said in my opening post, he has been in the ring with every major star of professional wrestling over the last 20 years except for Sting. His versatility and agility for a man of his size is awe inspiring. He never was the best on the mic; however he's a damn sight away from the worst. He's managed to turn his gimmick, however unbelievable it may be, into something that is still accepted by fans of today. You know; the "Smart Fans". 'Taker is the most respected man in the world of professional wrestling. Add to the fact that he is a 7 time champion and a royal rumble winner; I really can't say enough about this man. He's just amazing.

If he were to lose the streak this Sunday it wouldn't take a damn thing away from this man's legacy in the WWE. So, IMO, streak be damned!

Undertaker is the MOST pure wrestler in the world 28 years of wrestling,the ensemble of his career is an most exemple to imitate,he 's not debuted like an future star and his progression is on the line.
out off the ring he was extremely respect and corect.
without Undertaker no casket match,buried alive and HIAC.
The streak is an element of his carrer and not an resumed of this.

Considering all of the success that The Undertaker has had in the WWE, it makes me wonder why didn't WCW officials see the potential in him that Vince McMahon saw. I remember when The Undertaker wrestled as Mean Mark in WCW. And if I'm not mistaken Paul Heyman was his manager for a little while. I remember him in a really good fued with Lex Luger that had Luger been willing to put him over, Mean Mark could've been set up as another strong newcomer on an already supertalented roster.

Whenever I think of the Undertaker, regardless of if he ever loses the streak or not, I will always think of his Mean Mark character in WCW. I will also think about Vince Mcmahon seeing something in him that no other promoter at the time. With regards to the Undertaker, I would like to say that I thank God for Vince McMahon and his insight in 1989/1990. Think about...Can you imagine a Undertaker-less WWE?

What makes The Undertaker so special to me, the WWE, and wrestling as a whole is that for very long time, I've heard that when Vince signed him and gave him this gimmick, it was only meant to be temporary thing-6 months at the most. He was only supposed to be just another guy who would eventually job out to Hulk Hogan. Someone fresh for Hogan to destroy because he went through the roster a dozen times over. Mark Callaway(Taker's real name) took this joke of a gimmick and made it all his own. Think about...at the time that he beat Hogan for the belt, he was still a rookie(in WWE that is). Rookies win belts alot nowadays but it hardly ever happened back in the day. Mark Callaway turn what was supposed to be a 6 month temp position in the WWE into a 22 year career the likes of which we have never seen and in my opinion we will never see again!

If the streak never existed, I would still regard The Undertaker as one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, period! If there was ever a "Mount Rushmore" of pro wrestling, he is definetly on it! I know that this may be a subjective question but taking into account his longevity and his overall imprint on the sport, can anyone honestly give me 4 wrestlers in the history of pro wrestling that are better than The Undertaker? If you are truly honest with yourselves then the answer will be no.

What is the Undertaker without the streak? Still one of the greatest of all time. He's been in the ring with the best in the business and put over newer stars. See Randy Orton. Name me another superstar who has had a bigger impact than the Undertaker. That's right nobody. He took a gimmick that nobody today could make work and he made it one of the greatest gimmicks of all time.

The streak is just merely a fraction of the Undertaker's legacy. I noticed when they started acknowledging the streak around the time he picked up his 10th win from Flair at WM X8, or it could be even before that but it's the earliest I can remember. But I think his real legacy will be his longevity in the business overall, and how he's managed to stay relevant after a quarter century when in most cases an average wrestler would've gone into obscurity. Another part of his legacy as several mentioned in previous posts is inside the business itself where wrestlers and promoters just have the greatest respect for him no matter what. If you were to rank "locker room generals" my number 1 pick would definitely be Taker because no one has commanded a locker room like the way he has. Streak or no streak the Undertaker's legacy will be impossible to tarnish, and more importantly it'll hard to duplicate. I can tell everyone here for a fact that there will never be another Undertaker in the wrestling business ever again.

One of the most recognized wrestlers EVER. Hogan, Andre, Rock, Austin, Cena, and Taker i'd say have the most association with wrestling to even those who don't know much about it. Yeah the Streak is his, it will be something that is the most know, but he will still be remembered as someone who has also had one of the longest active/part time careers ever.

His legacy will be the following

Most memorable devastating matches and fueds (Foley, Triple H, Austin, HBK to name 4)

Most awe inspiding/emotion grabbing entrance - Nothing sends chills down your spine like Taker's entrance with the exception of his Bad Ass/Big Red Evil era's which were just catchy tunes.

He even as a face is still someone that instills fear. (character wise)

He in the last 5yrs has been the biggest selling point for WrestleMania. not the title matches not any other fueds but "Who will face him at Mania" and when will he return to start that road.

a true company man, dependable to go out there year after year and put on watchable matches with anyone and make others look good.

He's the Icon not Sting. He's also the Phenom.

He was the 3rd person to ever have beaten Hogan for the WWF Title and the first to do it in there Rookie year

and lastly he had evolved with the times move wise yet was still able retain the same character and it worked.

So i would say like a Hogan, if he retired then returned every few years for a match it would still sell out and be a big thing.

WHAT IF WWE HAS THE STREAK END & NEXT YEAR THEY START A ROOKIE WIN EVERY WRESTLEMANIA TO BEAT THE UNDERTAKERS STREAK ???

This is quite interesting. I thought about this myself actually. It would mean a Superstar would have to compete and win in at least 20 Wrestlemanias, to break the streak (If Taker loses to HHH on Sunday) I can't really imagine any of the young Wrestlers on the current Roster being around in 20 years time let alone winning 20 Wrestlemainia matches without a loss.

If it were to start this year,, 20 years down the line would be WM 48 lol.
I would be 53 years old then OMG (Covers Face)

Will WWE still be going in the year 2032? That's a whole new discussion which is a hard question to answer. Some fun facts Rock would be 59 Cena would be 54 and Austin will be 68. Taker himself would also be in his 60s.

I don't think the streak will ever be beaten (again a tough prediction) I do think the streak Taker holds is special , and although he is still a huge star without the streak, i just think the streak defines his whole legacy. The streak for me has made the poorer Wrestlemanias seem much more relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back