What were you doing on 7/7?

OIL

Championship Contender
Just branching off the 9/11 thread, I guess it's only fair to make this one. If you didn't know about this event then here is a brief summary.

The 7 July 2005 London bombings (also called the 7/7 bombings) were a series of coordinated suicide bomb attacks on London's public transport system during the morning rush hour. Carried out by British Muslims, the suicide bombings were motivated by Britain's involvement in the Iraq War and other conflicts.

At 8:50 a.m., three bombs exploded within fifty seconds of each other on three London Underground trains. A fourth bomb exploded on a bus nearly an hour later at 9:47 a.m. in Tavistock Square. The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four suicide bombers, injured 700, and caused disruption of the city's transport system (severely for the first day) and the country's mobile telecommunications infrastructure. The series of suicide-bomb explosions constituted the largest and deadliest terrorist attack on London's transit system in history.

Obviously taken from Wikipedia lol. Anyway, this hit home more for people in the U.K than the 9/11 attacks did, because it was in our country. We felt the effects more. I remember my uncle saying his hospital got called on standby for casulties of it, and we're about 30 minutes away on a train.

So, I was in school. Sitting in either R.E/PSE. I forget which, same class + teacher for both. She told me about it, and she put the radio on & went on the internet for us to find out what she could. The way we reacted was awesome, really showed strength there. But at the time, I still bricked it. Called people who lived near London to see if they were ok. Watched the news all night and it just left me seriously pissed off. How low do you have to be.. seriously..

Anyway, what were you doing?

I was at work when it happened. Heard something about it on the radio, but couldn't fully hear what had happened, then got home and saw it on the news then. Was just in shock over it :(

I was in Spain, I got told by a woman in a shop who could hardly speak English, so I wasn't sure if I misheard. So we went to a pub where they had English TV on, and sure enough there'd been bombings in London. After that followed a call to practically everyone we know checking they were okay, even if they were no where near London. I was then scared to get on the plane home.

I can't remember. I do remember watching BBC News 24 - or whatever it's called - for an hour or so. I guess I must have been home then. I'm sure you were all hoping for some cool story about how I was almost on that train or something. You probably weren't.

Edit: A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend apparently stopped to have a cigarette instead of boarding "that bus". Goes to show, not only do cigarettes make you look fucking cool, they save lives.

I don't remember much of that day but I think I was either chilling with my friends or I was at my house playing video games & eating potato chips.

I was working for a company called RPA, part of DEFRA which is part of the government, we all got called to a meeting where we were told we were on red alert and everyones bags were searched. We also all had a break for Tony Blairs speech at 12 o clock.

Wasn't this in the bar room, originally?

Well, this wasn't really a big deal in the States, or not around here atleast. Didn't this take place sometime in the morning over there? Well, if it did, then I was asleep, since it would have been 2 or 3 a.m. I remember waking up and hearing about it. I was confused, though. They kept saying terrorists, and I thought, like ski-masks and such. I was like, twelve.

I remember I was at my grandmother's house and waking up and hearing about it and watching the news. Thought it was very terrible and they didn't talk about it much here but had lasting effects especially with Muhammad Hassan being released as it relates to wrestling.

I was watching a cricket match between England and Australia and Channel 4 interuppted the coverage to break the news about the bombings

I was at school talking about the ***** getting over excited because London had been awarded the Olympics the day before. Then we were in an I.T. lesson and I was on the BBc Sport website, and couldn't find a football or cricket story anywhere, as it was all "Olympics this" "Olympics that", but the news ticker scrolled across with London Mayor flies home after bombings. I thought nothing of it, thinking there was a bomb in the place wherever the Olympic ceremony was, so he was just getting safe.

We then went to our afternoon assembly as usual, and our assistant head of year told us "an atrocious event" had occurred in London that morning that could affect our country in the long run greatly. I had forgotten all about the bombs until that point and realised it must have gone off in London. It was not until I had got home that I found out exactly what happened.

Oh, AFC, I think you are on about the 21/7 attacks, the failed ones, cos I was watching that game too and they said more bombs have gone off, everyone was shocked....then they said they hadn't detonated. So they went back to the good old cricket.

I was at a Maths lesson, and the teacher turned on the Radio. I haden't heared anything until he put on the Radio.

I was at my nan's house in Feltwell, East Anglia. Me and my mother were there on vacation. We were all rather shocked and upset, but that didn't stop us from joking that it was people who were upset about the results of where the Olympics were going to be held.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back