What were the best WCW pay per view events?

The Liar

Dark Match Winner
I have tried watching several WCW PPVs online, but they never seen to hold my interest like the old WWF ones do. This might have something to do with the fact that I have a strong preference for the WWE over other wrestling promotions, but I think it's also largely due to me not knowing which shows to check out. The only WCW show I have watched in its entirety is Starrcade 1993, which I thought was a decent show overall.

What are your favorite PPVs from this company?

Well, shock value would have to be Bash at the Beach '96 with the birth of the nWo and the death of WCW all in one night.

But as far as the best goes, the best happened before WCW was WCW and they really even weren't pay per views. It was those month long events like The Great American Bash. PPV quality matches every night for a month, in different cities and a few of those matches had been War Games too. You can never go wrong with early War Games, not like the ones that WCW had to water down later in the companys years.

I think once JCP/WCW in 85 created GAB that was their #1 PPV as they over analyzed Starrcade as they trd to compete with WM. Keep inmind Starrcade was such a huge success JCP mortgaged 10 years of that company's resources and in 87 VKM made sure Starrcade got moved to December with him using WM as a bargaining chip. The other PPV that had good bookings and matches was Halloween Havoc. The whole problem with WCW even before Bischoff was over analyzing their company compared to the WWF. If they just had one battle plan of the company's identity WCW would still be in business today!

Uncensored 1998
Booker T vs. Eddie Guerrero - good opener
DDP vs. Chris Benoit vs. Raven - very good triple threat
The Giant vs. Kevin Nash - decent big man match
Bret Hart vs. Curt Hennig - decent match
Sting vs. Scott Hall - good match
Hollywood Hogan vs. Randy Savage - good match

Spring Stampede 1999
Juventud Guerrera vs. Blitzkrieg - good crusierweight match
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Hak - decent hardcore match
Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Billy Kidman - very good crusierweight match
Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko vs. Raven & Perry Saturn - very good Tag Team match
Scott Steiner vs. Booker T - good stiff match plus bonus insanse Steiner getting heat
Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash - good short big man match
DDP vs. Ric Flair vs Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting (with Macho Man Randy Savage as Special Guest Ref) - STAR POWER good match

Other PPV i like include - Bash At The Beach 1997, Halloween Havoc 1997, Souled Out 1998, Superbrawl 1998, Slamboree 1998, Halloween Havoc 1998, SuperBrawl 1999, Halloween Havoc 1999

There is also some rubbish in those PPV's but for most part IMO it's either good or enjoyable...just fast forward the crap stuff that's what it was invented for.

I agree with obamartins in that Spring Stampede 99 is by far the best in-ring wrestling PPV WCW ever did. ignore the storyline stuff (it is mostly crap) and just enjoy some good wrestling when, in the ring, WCW was still the king

Halloween Havoc 1997, Eddie vs Rey for the mask made that PPV. DDP vs Macho Man in a no dq was a forgotten classic in my book. But if you want to avoid a snooze fest, stay away from spring stampede 1998

I always the PPV's that were different because you dont see those matches very much.

World War 3: 60 man battle royals with 3 seperate rings, it was one of my favorite PPV's when i was younger.

BattleBowl: Tag Matches but you has no idea who your partner would be. The teams were chosen by a lottery system. so you would see tag teams of people that would never wrestle together, like Sting and Sags... also Austin and Flair were a team, thats epic. The winner of the Tag Team matches advanced into a battle royal and the winner of the battle royal was the BattleBowl champ.

Spring Stampede 1999
Juventud Guerrera vs. Blitzkrieg - good crusierweight match
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Hak - decent hardcore match
Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Billy Kidman - very good crusierweight match
Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko vs. Raven & Perry Saturn - very good Tag Team match
Scott Steiner vs. Booker T - good stiff match plus bonus insanse Steiner getting heat
Goldberg vs. Kevin Nash - good short big man match
DDP vs. Ric Flair vs Hollywood Hogan vs. Sting (with Macho Man Randy Savage as Special Guest Ref) - STAR POWER good match

This one right here, as I was actually there for that one. Plus, I made camera on the pay-per-view broadcast (but not the actual video release - why WCW/Turner Home Entertainment had two different camera crews, I'll never know...).

Honorable Mentions: Bash At The Beach 1996 (birth of nWo); Starrcade 1997 (Sting's revenge); Bash At The Beach 2000 (Russo "shoot").

Starcade 1996 is my favorite ppv.

It was the first starcade featuring the nwo and the black and white was running the show.

Every match had a special feeling to it.

Ultimo dragon unifying the j crown with the wcw cruisierweight by beating Dean malenko
Akira hokuto retaining the wcw women title against Madusa in a great women match.
Jushin liger and Rey mysterio in a classic match.
Jeff jarrett vs chris benoit in a brutal no dq
The outsiders retaining the tag title versus the faces of fears in one of the few good match of the faces.
We witness the begining of one of the greatest face ever when hall and nash helped eddie guerrero taking the final of the us title tournament.
And i'll never forget how much i've mark out when lex luger gave the nwo their first loser ever with the help of sting.
And roddy piper defeating hogan with the sleeper hold in the middle of the ring.

Why this ppv is so special to me is that i can't think of any other ppv that gave me the feeling that any match was an impact on the futur of the company with the exception of the liger/Rey match,but that one was a pure lucha clinic so it was fine by me.

Spring Stampede 96 for just some great wrestling matches, and Starcade 97, because of all the hype Sting's return caused. The match didn't quite live up but the entrance and the hype were great.

I always the PPV's that were different because you dont see those matches very much.

World War 3: 60 man battle royals with 3 seperate rings, it was one of my favorite PPV's when i was younger.

BattleBowl: Tag Matches but you has no idea who your partner would be. The teams were chosen by a lottery system. so you would see tag teams of people that would never wrestle together, like Sting and Sags... also Austin and Flair were a team, thats epic. The winner of the Tag Team matches advanced into a battle royal and the winner of the battle royal was the BattleBowl champ.

Good point and good choices... I actually liked a lot of the earlier WCW ppvs, or the Pre-Hogan WCW... not that I think Hogan is necessarily the reason for the difference in time periods, but the company itself was also making a lot of changes after he came in... Anyways with regards to the Battlebowls and WW3, the early ones were pretty good (pre-NWO). I also liked the older Halloween Havocs (89-92 or so), and ANY War Games match. Uncensored was a different but not bad ppv as well, the bunkhouse match with Dustin Rhodes was actually kind of cool and there were other unique matches, kind of like extreme rules today, just not lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back