What was your favorite Rob Van Dam match?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Rob Van Dam is once again finishing up another run in the WWE this week until another deal is made for RVD to return, if he returns at all. Some wrestling fans think that Rob Van Dam should just retire from wrestling. RVD is in his 40's but still looks in great shape for a guy who has the munchies on a daily bases. During Van Dam's last run some wrestling fans has labeled RVD as "Job Van Dam" since he's been jobbing since after his return the night after Wrestlemania 30, mainly to the reborn Seth Rollins. But in your opinion in the wrestling history of Rob Van Dam in ECW, WWE, WCW (as Robbie V), and TNA. What was your favorite Rob Van Dam match?

Mines personally would have to be...Whenever he had a match with Jerry Lynn. Talk about EXTREME RULES! But what about yours?

His matches with Sabu in ECW were some of the most exciting matches in his career and hasn't really been able to duplicate since then.

Any time Van Dam and Jerry Lynn were in the ring together was epic. I don't think I have ever seen 2 men with more in-ring chemistry than RVD and Lynn, they work incredibly well together. I've said many times on these forums how I believe Jerry Lynn to be one of the most underrated and underutilised talents in wrestling history- there are very few better in the ring than Lynn, and Van Dam was at his absolute best every time these 2 locked up.

On his DVD Van Dam states that he and Lynn would try and find new ways to outdo each other in every match, adding counters to counters to counters and coming up with new exciting spots every time. The 2 matches on RVD's DVD against Lynn are at Living Dangerously 1999 and Guilty As Charged 2001, and both are spectacular.

As for his WWE career, it has to be the Hardcore Title match against Jeff Hardy at Invasion 2001. That was the match that introduced me to Van Dam and it blew me away, I was immediately a huge fan as I was really into the high-flying style RVD brought to the table- I loved the Hardyz at that point, and it was a great move to put Van Dam against Jeff as both were extreme and it allowed RVD to showcase his skills. The Van Daminator off the stage is still one of my favourite spots in wrestling history, I love it.

Off the top of my head, his match with [NAME REDACTED] for the Intercontinental Championship at SummerSlam 2002 was great, and his WWE Championship match against Edge at Vengeance 2006 was held in the middle of the card for no apparent reason and completely stole the show.

One other I can think of, I don't recall the exact date, but it was early 2004, he wrestled Randy Orton for the Intercontinental Championship on Sunday Night Heat of all places, and put on a 20-minute clinic that made everything that happened on RAW that same night meaningless in comparison.

Hands down, his series with Jerry Lynn, at Living Dangerously and Hardcore Heaven in 1999. One of those matches Lynn got his nose broken, and it was still a 5 star match (no pun intended

The closest van Dam came to that in WWE was his feud with Jeff Hardy, at Invasion and Summerslam 2001

The Jerry Lynn matches were exceptional, RVD also had a few great tag matches against the Dudley Boyz when he teamed with Sabu.

Hard to pick one match out of such a storied career.

Choosing from more recent history, the title vs. title match between RVD (IC champ) and Tommy Dreamer (Hardcore champ) on RAW to "unify" the IC and Hardcore titles, which was billed as the "last hardcore match" on RAW was a good one.

I put up his matches with Jerry Lynn as some of my favorite matches of all time, and a serious inspiration for when I started writing my own wrestling matches for some of my older fictions.

His matches with Sabu in ECW were some of the most exciting matches in his career and hasn't really been able to duplicate since then.

This is so true - RVD vs Sabu brought out the absolute best of both men. He had great matches with Lynn, Tazz, etc but you can pick any match VS Sabu & it will be Epic.

As a longtime, hardcore RVD fan(getting kicked out of my middle school back in the day for wearing a "RVD 4:20/I just smoked your ass" tshirt), he's had many matches that I loved. But if we're being completely honest, his matches with Jerry Lynn never appealed that much to me, besides the big spot they would do. If you watch them now, there is just way too much filler and not enough action, IMO. His greatest opponent ever is obviously Sabu, those 2 never let down not even one time.

His early WWE matches with Jeff Hardy shouldn't go unmentioned either.

From an emotional standpoint, it's almost impossible to argue against RVD vs. Cena at One Night Stand 2006. I've still gotta agree with the pack here and go with any match with Jerry Lynn though. They worked so well together and we always saw something new in every match. No two of the matches are the same and they never had a bad match.

RVD's matches with Jerry Lynn from ECW of course will always be the absolute peak of any RVD favorite matches. The match he had with A.J. Styles was a good match not as good as the matches with Sabu, Taz or Lance Storm.

One thing I give TNA credit for is how they did their version of an ECW pay per view. The main event with RVD and bald Sabu was great and so was the lighting and atmosphere. Props for that one. Regretful once they did that EV2 nonsense.

But anytime RVD took on Sabu or Jerry Lynn, I was watching.

I'll never for One Night Stand when he took on John Cena. He peaked with that World Title. The next night on Raw when he did that quick interview and spun the WWE logo in the center and looked at the screen like a pothead and smiled, that made my day.

I always wonder how long that run would've lasted if he was never pulled over.

From one productive pothead to another, I was proud of the guy.

One thing I loved that wasn't a match but rather a segment, I was in Trenton, NJ on 6/13/06, the first ECW on Sci-Fi taping and the night RVD was awarded the ECW Championship. As an RVD fan, it was great to see him become a dual World Champion, and immediately having Edge attack him to set up their WWE title match at Vengeance had me already salivating for the next PPV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back