What should REALLY be the main event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyMango/NoFate007

A Post Is Worth A Thousand Words
They talk about Edge "main eventing" WrestleMania, but in the past, Royal Rumble winners have been placed second to last or even in the midcard, so that's certainly not a lock.

Obviously, there are only 3 choices here as to potentials for the real main event: HBK/Taker, Edge/Jericho, and Cena/Batista. And you know what, it's weird for me to say this (but then again I wouldn't be a logical and rational person if I said otherwise)...HBK is my favorite of all time, Undertaker is #2, Edge and Jericho are two others in my top five favorites ever (the other of the five being Bret Hart)...yet I don't think, I KNOW that the main event of WrestleMania this year needs to be Cena vs Batista. And despite HBK and Taker having one hell of a match last year, and despite the potential for Edge and Jericho to tear the fucking house down, I've found myself oddly MUCH more into the Cena/Batista feud than either of those.

Why? I don't know. Perhaps it's because that promo from Monday with Batista surrounded by the security was fantastic. Perhaps because they've upped the ante and given it an actual story and a legit feud. Perhaps it's because it's a match we haven't seen run into the ground with repetitiveness. I'm certainly not the biggest Cena or Batista supporter, but these two have COMPLETELY won me over when it comes to this feud, and I'm legit excited about it.

All three of these matches have rather obvious outcomes, but for some reason, I'm more willing to brush that off when it comes to these two than the Edge/Jericho and HBK/Taker matches.

HBK is obviously not going to retire for good, and I highly doubt he'll beat Taker, so there's either going to be some sort of interference to cause HBK to lose or the match will end in a draw, and when we've already seen the two of them have a great match last year, there's a risk they might not be able to equal or top it, and that's really the only interesting aspect right now. Plus, I don't think there's as much of an interest from the audience as there was last year, would you agree? So I can't see that being the main event at all.

Edge and Jericho, despite being two of the best mic workers in the business right now in my opinion, have bored the living hell out of me with their feud so far. They telegraphed it so harshly ahead of time and they've done nothing but repeat the same few bullet points in each and every promo. Jericho is the champ, he's the best at what he does, and Edge wants to prove him wrong and doesn't like hearing Jericho talk. Tune in next week on Smackdown wherein we'll start the show with Jericho coming out, talking about how he's the champ and how he's the best at what he does, until Edge interrupts him and says Jericho talks too much and at WrestleMania, he's taking the title. Then Teddy puts them in matches. Tune in next week wherein...

Anyway, what this boils down to: what match do YOU think should be the true main event this year? Remember to state your case.

In a perfect world Vince and Brett Hart would be able to put on a solid 15 minute match and really entertain us, it would be incredibly predictable but sometimes how you get there is half the fun.

However I think that Cena Batista is the true main event this year. It has all the makings of a final match, go home happy feud. Batista is being super douchey, which I happen to love at the moment him clapping after Cena won via dq was great, Cena has all the backing for the good guy role. The boss is even involved in this one, in a background role but he's there. It's gonna be almost exactly like Orton/Triple H (except this time the heel shouldn't win). I really like this caged animal (pardon the pun) thing Batista has. It's not if he's gonna beat the life out of you but rather when he's gonna snap and unleash hell as it were.

So I think it makes a ton of sense for Batista Cena to be the closer

The last match of the night needs to end on a feel good note. Look at the options:

a) Shawn Michaels v Undertaker - Someone will lose out bigtime, whether its Taker losing his streak or Michaels retiring. The crowd will be split 50-50, so there'll be no feel good factor. Just anger, bitterness, depending on who loses. Not the main event. Most likely a match much earlier on the card the way Shawn v Ric Flair was a couple of years back

b) Edge v Jericho - The feud hasn't been stellar, but its been ok and will probably build a bit better this month. Both can tell a story in the ring and with Jericho looking more like the cocky Jericho of old, this could be a great match to watch, even though the storyline behind it seems a bit weak. Saying that, it can't main event as neither of these stars is bigger than Cena or Batista. Probably will be placed before the WWE Title Match. Which gives Jericho every chance at retaining, which I believe he should as it will make the feud much more engaging post Wrestlemania. And you can't discount Christian adding himself to the match via MiTB should he win.

c) Cena v Batista - now this is THE real feud of the WWE. The biggest heel v the biggest face. For the main title. The feud has been building superbly well and the characters have played their roles to perfection. Batista cocky but confident with the title, looking to prove a point, Cena angry and a bit worried, though the fans have got his back. This screams Main Event. But the win for Cena and subsequent feel good factor is not assured, imo.

d) Vince v Bret - Possibly the big feel good moment? Possibly, seeing Bret put Vince in the sharpshooter to close the show. The fans would love to see that. And I think Bret deserves a proper send off compared to what happened 12 years ago.

The card will probably run like this..

10. MitB
9. Unified Tag Titles
8. Punk v Mysterio
7. Randy Orton and Kofi Kingston v Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes
6. Shawn Michaels v The Undertaker
5. Divas Match
4. HHH v Sheamus
3. Edge v Chris Jericho
2. John Cena v Batista
1. Vince McMahon v Bret Hart

Yep, I reckon Vince v Bret will close the show as either way the fans (both young and old) would love to see Vince submit to the sharpshooter.

I do have to agree that the Batista/Cena feud has been better than I thought it would. I really don't like Cena, and I used to think Batista was even worse. Now, Cena hasn't done anything in this feud to make me like him anymore, which is not at all. But Batista is showing mic skills I haven't seen from him before (minus his holding up three fingers while talking about he and Cena as the top TWO guys in WWE).

Edge/Jericho has huge potential. The build-up to their match has been a bit underwhelming IMO, but with WWE lately, that is usually the case. HBK/Taker is still not personal enough for me. It is still this stupid, competition-based feud, because GOD FORBID the WWE turn Shawn heel and DX merchandise takes a hit. But the match itself will be off the charts (we hope).

If it were up to me, Edge/Jericho would close the show. If it were up to me, the Royal Rumble winner would ALWAYS close the show. But it's not up to me. So Cena/Batista, Vince's wet-dream of a main event, will probably close the show.

There are three to four "main events" in any given Wrestlemania. The two title matches, plus the Undertaker match, and whatever match HBK is in. (This year it will be three main events). When it comes to Wrestlemania, the main event doesn't refer to whatever is the last match on the card, it refers to the biggest matches on the card. Being big and being last are not the same thing when it comes to Wrestlemania. Cena/Batista, Edge/Jericho and HBK/Taker are all "main events". Either way, this year, I can't see any way that Undertaker/HBK isn't the final match. No matter who wins, you will have the biggest storyline fallout. Taker wins, HBK retires, which leads to a possible mass gathering in the ring to hug him, etc. You know, the Flair treatment. That requires time, time that they don't have if they have other matches booked afterward. However, if HBK wins, ending Taker's streak, that would be an equally monumental close to the show. There is simply no way you end Mr. Wrestlemania's career on the mid card, nor can you end "the streak" that way.

This match has the most buildup, the most at stake, with two of the biggest draws in WWE history. This match closes the show.

After the disastrous Lawrence Taylor/Bam Bam Bigelow match at WM11, I don't think the WWE will ever put a non-title match as the main event at a WM. Wrestlers in the WWE wrestle to become champion, so a championship match has to close the show, no matter how big the other stakes are in other matches. If you think HBK/Taker should close the show, then HBK/Flair and Hogan/Rock should've also closed the other WM's. But it didn't, so that's why I don't think HBK/Taker will close at WM26. Besides, it doesn't have a feel good moment because either one losing will make the fans really depressed.

IMO the mainevent in Wrestlemania should be Taker vs HBK, If this will be the last match for HBK heck let him mainevent one last wrestlemania in his career. I know that if they have that match as the mainevent they will bring down the house. But honestly i really think that Taker and HBk diserver to mainevent this years wrestlemania, because im really tired of always giving the mainevent match either to John Cena or HHH. These two guys have mainevent the last 3 wrestlemainas in the past. Now its time for HBK and Taker to shine.

Batista and Cena will main event the show, because they are the two biggest stars in WWE and that is the match which has garnered the most attention over the build up. Vince and Bret will probably open the show to keep the two matches apart, as they are part of the same feud and won't seem right next to each other. I imagine HBK and Taker are going to be between the two title matches this time as it breaks up the flow, and it will be a totally different match to the main event that follows it. Last year, it hurt the triple threat, which wasn't a bad match at all, and I think they'll avoid that mistake again. jericho and Edge just aren't in the right level to top the bill, so it'll be Batista vs Cena.

Last match will for sure be Batista against John Cena. This feud has been a potential matchup for over 5 years now, and I feel that the WWE is finally going to give it the respect it deserves. I suspect a swerve for the Edge Christian match and I know it won't main event because of that. No way is Bret Hart and Vince ending the show, that will start the second half if anything. Shawn Michaels and Undertaker will go on right after that match, followed by the Edge and Jericho Match, and then then Main Event.

Of the three obvious choices you stated NoFate, my personal choice would be Taker vs HBK. This match will be a classic, it will be emotionally charged because of the stipulations, it will be unpredictable in my eyes, everyone in Pheonix should be on the edge of their seats and ,of course, something historic is certain to happen - either the streak goes or HBK goes. Now that makes one hell of a main event to me.

However, the problem is I don't see this being the main event because either way there is a sad ending. Lots of people will be disappointed to see HBK retire or to see the steak end. So, thats why I see Cena vs Batista as the main event. They are two of the biggest names and biggest draws in the business fighting over the WWE title. Plus there is a realistic chance of a happy ending with Cena walking out as champ.

So, my pick would be Taker vs HBK, but i'm sure WWE will choose Cena vs Batista.

Arguments could be made in favor of all three matches (Taker VS Michaels, Cena VS Batista, and Edge VS Jericho) for which one should be the match to close the show at Wrestlemania 26. Edge won the Royal Rumble and "the chance to main event Wrestlemania". They call it that, but in reality it just means he gets a world title shot. The two world title matches are called main event matches, even though only one can close the show.

Taker VS Michaels was beyond awesome last year, but that match is going to be so tough for them to top this year. Plus, if their rematch goes on last, all the expectations for them to top last year's match will only intensify. People will get disappointed if the match isn't better than last year's, which tarnishes the legacy of last year's amazing match. It's better for their match to be towards the end but not last. I'd say have it next to last, in between the two world titles.

Edge VS Jericho should not be last. Edge might have won the Rumble and they are calling him "the Wrestlemania main eventer" but I'm a bit disappointed in his feud with Jericho so far. The "spear! spear! spear!" chants seem a little lame, and their promos have grown repetitive. I think that things will change soon, but at the same time I doubt that this will close the show since it doesn't have that epic feel to it that Taker VS Michaels II or Cena VS Batista do.

Cena VS Batista should close the show because this match has been 5 years in the making. Sure, they had their Summerslam 2008 match, but it was just kind of thrown together. This time around we get a legit feud out of it with Cena as the heroic face and Batista as a heel. The two biggest stars of this era going at it, at the biggest show of the year. It is by far the match I'm most interested in right now. I expect this match to close the show, and for Cena to win it, sending the fans home with a happy moment.

It's almost surely going to be Cena-Batista for the Main Event. The buildup has been surprisingly awesome and im looking forward to it.
However i would love for the Jericho-Edge match to go last as well...
I really doubt Taker-HBK going on last since the whole crowds going to be extremely bitter like a previous poster said.
I would be extremely suprised if McMahon-Hart Main-Evented. It's just that its not going to be a wrestling clinic by any standards. I'll probably rather watch Lesnar-Goldberg than this match when all is said and done. It'll be a feel good moment for sure no doubt though.

I think that the final match of the night will be Edge v. Jericho for a couple reasons. First off i am in agreement that the Taker-HBK match will split the crowd too much so it can't be the finish. Vince v. Bret won't deliver main event quality. Vince, while in great shape, has never been the best worker, and Bret in all honesty is one bad spot away from being crippled. The money in the bank is always a solid opener, though the unified tag title match may fill that spot this year. It seems like we'll be getting Triple H v. Sheamus and if there was a title i could see this being the main event. That leaves Cena v. Batista, and while this has been a really great feud that has not only built the importance of the title, it has also done a great job of building the importance of the event. the only reason i don't think this will be the main event, is because i think Batista will win. I just can't see Wrestlemania ending with that at it's apex. Edge going over Jericho in a technical match that tears the house down after a heel Batista victory would be the perfect ending. Now, why do i think Batista will win? glad you asked, if Batista loses it cements Cena as being better and the "face" of the WWe, whereas a Batista victory doesn't hurt Cena very much. With a Cena victory the feud is seemingly over. Cena wins, is the face of WWe, and is WWe champ, all is right in the world. If Batista wins he gets a little more (as if he were lacking) credibilty as perhaps the face of WWe, but it doesn't take away from Cena being the focus the past 5 years. It opens up the door for more intense matches and the feud continues.

Edge vs Jericho should be the main event. These two will put a hell of a match on and its for the title. As stated previously Batista and Cena they're not focusing on the title as much as just beating each other up and being more personal with Bret AND the match wont be even remotely as good as Jericho and Edge.

I'll be damned if HBK vs Taker isn't the main event at Wrestlemania 26. There's so much at stake, possibly bigger than anything at Wrestlemania: Undertaker's 17-0 Streak vs HBK's career. Plus, remember how drained the crowd was after HBK vs Taker last year? If those two pull off an even better match and it's not the main event, the crowd will be beyond dead for the remaining title match(es). However, like someone said before, it will end up being a sad ending because the crowd will be torn.

But I expect WWE to pull a swerve and have HBK vs Taker in between the two title matches.

It should be whatever match has the biggest build up, so in that sense it should not be Edge/Jericho. Cena/Batista has a good storyline, but HBK/Taker should be maineventing the night. No other match should follow it, and especially if HBK loses, they need a huge celebration for him, the mainevent will be perfects.

This is easy. Taker vs HBK is their main event. It should have been last year, just because it's Taker vs HBK. This year, however, for a whole different reason. Firstly, Shawn wins this match. Would I be shocked into death if Shawn lost...No, but I expect him to win. The reason this match needs to be last is because of the stipulation. Career vs Streak.

How am I suppose to believe Shawn Michaels will lose his career if he is wrestling in the middle of the show. Granted, whether Shawn loses doesn't have any true meaning on his career ending. However, in the context of the storyline, him losing is it, he's done. So, if their match is 3rd or 4th I have a hard time buying that Shawn will lose. I'm not saying he couldn't, just that it doesn't make sense. Every year they push HBK into WM as though he is literally the God of WM. I'm suppose to believe the man who is the greatest WM performer of all time is going to end his career on the midcard? It just doesn't work. It's got to be main event. If it's main event, people start thinking. "Maybe Shawn will lose, that's why it's the main event so they can send him off after the show." Or, "It's the main event to make me think Shawn will lose, but he's really going to win." By no means am I saying Shawn won't lose the match if it's not the main event, I just think that not putting this match last opens up the possibility of Shawn's win seeming less shocking, as again, I expect him to win.

On the other side, the title matches are terrible this year. Edge vs Jericho? Cena vs Batista? Fuck. While I expect great things out of Edge and Jericho, they are without a doubt main eventers who have always had someone else on the other side who was bigger than they were. Now they have each other. I just don't see how it's much of a comparison. Last year, HHH vs Orton was at least arguably of similar star power.

Taker VS Michaels was beyond awesome last year, but that match is going to be so tough for them to top this year. Plus, if their rematch goes on last, all the expectations for them to top last year's match will only intensify. People will get disappointed if the match isn't better than last year's, which tarnishes the legacy of last year's amazing match. It's better for their match to be towards the end but not last. I'd say have it next to last, in between the two world titles.

I don't see it this way. With the making of the match NO DQ, it has become obvious that they aren't trying to literally "remake" last year. They are going to wrestle a different match. I don't understand why people are so concerned with them trying to "match" last year, or people saying this match shouldn't happen because it already did. We watched Austin/Rock three times in a row. Shawn and Taker have wrestled before last year. This isn't exactly their second match. An argument can be made that WM25 wasn't as good as Hell in a Cell. So, if one understands that the point is simply for them to put on a great match, all is kosher. It doesn't have to beat last years match, whatever that means. It simply has to be a great match, which is expected. The No DQ tells us something shifty could happen, but it also tells us we aren't going to see the same match as last year.

This match should be the Main Event. By Main Event, I think Big, Huge, Important and The Best. This is that and a bag of chips...and some salsa. Putting something after this only creates the problem of last year, a dead crowd for your main event and nobody in the match who can change it, because Shawn Michaels has already wrestled.

I honestly believe in tradition and therefore I do think that Edge should face Jericho in the Main Event. I thought it was just odd when Rey won the Royal Rumble and his match was like three away from the end of the show. It made no sense and really made the Rumble look worthless, especially when they added Randy Orton for no reason.

I do not think that Micheals/Taker II shloud go on last due to the aformentioned fact that , either way it works out, somebody is going to lose something big and the fans are going to feel a let down of sorts.
I also do not feel that ot should be near theend of the card. As also mentioned, it really makes it difficult for any match to follow it.

I see it like this;

Main event: Cena/Batista

Jericho/edge

Vince/Bret

HBK/Taker

Nobody is expecting a Five star match from Vince and Bret, but the emotion of the match will still be there regardless of how good Taker and Michelas perform, so I think that they are really the only ones who could follow it.Cena is almost a lock to win his match, and giving the fans a euphoric finsh is usually a good idea for Wrestlemania. Jericho and Edge's match will be good but would feel better if it was not on last. However, there is still the possibility that it will be on last; edge/taker got the main event over Orton/Cena/Triple H, so it's possible.

I think that Cena/Batista will most likely be last.

The main event needs to be TAKER/HBK the legends battle for the STREAK/CAREER. This match is actually bigger than 90% of WM title matches ever. It's the proper way to end either one and there's not a more emotional match on the card. It will be the best in ring match and has the best build up going in.

Based on the video I saw on Smackdown last night, I think Taker-HBK is going on last. Having the likes of Cena, Jericho, Triple H etc talking about how big and good a match it's going to be...they are treating it like the main event. If you have this match before the end then nobody will give two hoots about the rest of the card.

Based on the video I saw on Smackdown last night, I think Taker-HBK is going on last. Having the likes of Cena, Jericho, Triple H etc talking about how big and good a match it's going to be...they are treating it like the main event. If you have this match before the end then nobody will give two hoots about the rest of the card.

I agree with you that this match should close the show but you cant assume that on the evidence of the Smackdown video that was shown. Whilest it was a brilliant way of hyping the match, It was clear that the comments were recorded from last year to hype their match at Wrestlemania 25. If you look at punk in the video he has the same look as he had last year and did not have the Prophetic Jesus like look that he has now.
I also remember a rumour last year of a possible HBK-TAKER Wrestlemania documentary so maybe the comments were for that.

On to the main event of this years Mania, HBK-TAKER wouldbe perfect to end the show but I also have other ideas I would like to see.

I would love to see Christian win MITB and then cash in on Jericho, assuming he beats edge in the main event, and then end the show with Christian finally World Champion.

Another option would be for Bret-Vince to close the show with Bret making Vince submit to the sharpshooter and then have the locker room come out to celebrate with Bret in the same way as when he beat Yokozuna for the title at Wrestlemania 10. This would be the perfect ending for Wrestlemania and a moment I would never ever forget.

I honestly believe in tradition and therefore I do think that Edge should face Jericho in the Main Event.
YES.

When I decided to skim this thread, I was hoping... NAY, praying to find this talking point. Why? Because I love how wrong it is.

You people (the people who build this talking point up) think you're doing a match a great service by by putting Jericho and Edge on last. Heck, it would be a sign of disrespect in your eyes to have this match start the second hour. Am I right? Probably. I'm filling in some gaps based on people I've seen elsewhere who talk like you. Play along.

But in all of your talk of tradition and respect and whatnot, you miss one great point. By putting this match on last in the name of tradition and respect, you do it disrespect by giving them a dead crowd to work in front of. After a stacked card and what should be three other VERY emotionally draining matches, what should be Edge's big moment and Jericho's first major one-on-one Mania match in ages will be given little to no reaction. They're fine wrestlers (Well, okay. Jericho is.). But they don't hold a crowd like Cena, Batista, Vince, Michaels, and so-on. Without a bigger name to work with on a stacked PPV, putting them on last sets them up for a fall. If you really care about these two having a great moment, you'd book them early. VERY early.

Batista vs. Cena may close, but as the event draws near and the hype spells things out, I see HBK-Taker as the close. And really, if it's the match that was accused of killing the crowd last year AND it's a match where HBK bids his final farewell to the Universe, you may be doing EVERYONE a favor by having it go last. Sure, Cena got a decent reaction following them last year. He probably will do so again this year. But he could work in front of a hotter crowd if he went before HBK and Taker.

YES.

When I decided to skim this thread, I was hoping... NAY, praying to find this talking point. Why? Because I love how wrong it is.

You people (the people who build this talking point up) think you're doing a match a great service by by putting Jericho and Edge on last. Heck, it would be a sign of disrespect in your eyes to have this match start the second hour. Am I right? Probably. I'm filling in some gaps based on people I've seen elsewhere who talk like you. Play along.

But in all of your talk of tradition and respect and whatnot, you miss one great point. By putting this match on last in the name of tradition and respect, you do it disrespect by giving them a dead crowd to work in front of. After a stacked card and what should be three other VERY emotionally draining matches, what should be Edge's big moment and Jericho's first major one-on-one Mania match in ages will be given little to no reaction. They're fine wrestlers (Well, okay. Jericho is.). But they don't hold a crowd like Cena, Batista, Vince, Michaels, and so-on. Without a bigger name to work with on a stacked PPV, putting them on last sets them up for a fall. If you really care about these two having a great moment, you'd book them early. VERY early.

Batista vs. Cena may close, but as the event draws near and the hype spells things out, I see HBK-Taker as the close. And really, if it's the match that was accused of killing the crowd last year AND it's a match where HBK bids his final farewell to the Universe, you may be doing EVERYONE a favor by having it go last. Sure, Cena got a decent reaction following them last year. He probably will do so again this year. But he could work in front of a hotter crowd if he went before HBK and Taker.

I did say at first I was hoping for Jericho and Edge to ME, BUT after reading the above post and watching all the hype videos on Raw and SD I am 99% Taker and Michaels will close the show. You bring up a great point working in front of 75,000 AFTER this match even Batista and Cena wouldn't work afterwards. When they do the match card I noticed the final one is Taker and Michaels on this weeks SD. Look back at WM 24 and 25 the final matches on the match card hyping those wrestlemanias were Edge/Taker and HHH/Orton which both main eveted those WM. EVEN the announcers are pretty much TELLING us we are getting WM for Taker/HBK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back