What match would have sold the most tickets?

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
It's time for a little fantasy booking. Yesterday, I was thinking of matches that could have happened back in the day and what would have sold the most tickets (as in most people in an arena). So I thought I'd propose this question to all of you.

Let's say that you owned an arena that was capable of fitting as many people as you need be. That means it could do 20 people, 2,000 people, 20,000 people, even 2,000,000 people or more. You also are capable of signing any wrestler you want and making any match you want at the time. But there are a few rules:

1. The match has to be physically possible. All of the wrestlers must be alive and capable of wrestling. This means you can't book John Cena vs. Lou Thesz for example.

2. All of the wrestlers in your match must be from the same point in time. This means you can't book 1987 Hogan vs 1998 Austin. However you can book 1998 Hogan vs 1998 Austin.

3. The date selected for both wrestlers must be the same. For example, you can't pick Austin from November of 1998 but Sting from January of 1998. This is important because one guy could fizzle out over a few months.

So with these rules in mind, what match do you think would have sold the most tickets in a limitless arena? I'll put mine in spoiler tags for those who don't want any inspiration and want to think on their own:

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bill Goldberg in the summer of 1998 - at the height of their popularities would have blown everything else out of the water.

Make sure Austin is WWE Champion, Goldberg is WCW Champion and of course the streak would be on the line and you'd have the makings of the biggest match ever.

It could have been an outdoors standing show like a music festival. I don't think there is a venue that could have held it.

I'm sure you guys can think of loads more..

The only match that has the potential to sold the most tickets is the match you have already listed.

I don't think any other match would have that potential and most matches have already been done before.

Tag Team Match
Brothers of Destruction vs Outsiders

Singles Match (triple threat)
Kurt Angle vs Jerichco vs Chris Beniot

United States Title
HHH vs Bret Hart

Tag Team Titles (TLC)
New Age Outlaws vs Hardy Boys vs Dudlys vs Edge&Christian

Int Title
HBK vs Sting

WCW Title
The Rock vs Warrior

WWE Title
Hulk Hogan vs Austin

You basically said THE best one so I'll go with what I think would've made a good second place.

1998 Sting (When feuding with NWO biggest Face before Goldberg)
Vs.
1998 Undertaker

or

1999 Wolfpack Sting (One of the companies biggest Faces)
Vs.
1999 Ministry Undertaker (The biggest Heel at the time IMO)

I’ve got a few...

2002 – Undisputed WWF / WCW Champion, Chris Jericho vs. NWA Champion, Dan Severn

1998 – WWE Champion, Undertaker vs. WCW Champion, Goldberg at WrestleMania with both streaks intact and maybe make it a Unification match.

1991 – WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan vs. NWA Champion, Ric Flair

1996 – Shawn Michaels and Triple H vs. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall

Survivor Series / War Games match
1990 – Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, and Brutus the Barbra Beefcake vs. Ric Flair, Lex Luger, Sting, and Arn Anderson

Survivor Series / War Games match
1997 – Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Billy Gunn and Road Dog vs. Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, and X-Pac

Austin vs Goldberg after Goldberg had won the WCW world title on July 6th 1998 thus WWF Champion vs WCW Champion.

2003 - 2005 Hogan versus Kane

Wait that never happend did it?

1998 Eric Bischoff versus Vince McMahon - Pretty sure that would make media and make the event a succes in terms of ticket's sold etc. These two were hot in terms of popularity at the time.

1998 Outsiders (Hall/Nash/X-pac) versus DX (HHH/Road Dog/Gunn) (hbk was retired in 1998)

1997 Bret Hart versus Sting

There is only one match that I can think of that would possibly rival the Austin/Goldberg summer of '98 dream match that the OP listed...

Ric Flair v. Hulk Hogan in the summer of '87.

Hogan was riding a three-plus year WWF title reign, and had the momentum of "slamming the giant" at WMIII earlier in the year. Flair had also held the NWA title for all of the past three years at that point, with the exception of a two week reign by Dusty Rhodes in the summer of '86.

They represented the first two truly national wrestling brands, and each man was the clear undisputed face of his company and had dominated their promotion's biggest championship, with Flair for all intents and purposes controlling the NWA title throughout the entire decade.

Flair and Hogan had ascended to a level that would stretch all the way to modern day, where they were/are clearly the two biggest stars in the history of the industry and household names more synonomous with the business then any other pro wrestler ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back