What is your pro wrestling Mount Rushmore?

Bernkastel

Reaper of Miracles
When one thinks of Mount Rushmore they think of "innovation," "lasting influence," and "popularity." Now of course there are reasons why the 4 presidents are on the monument in South Dakota, but how about a monument dedicated for pro wrestling? Working with 4 faces, who would you choose to represent the whole industry? Through its multiple booms and doldrums. Through periods of obscurity and pop culture phenomena. Celebrated sports stars and entertainers. Which wrestlers best captured the essence of pro wrestling?

Here's mine...

Hulk Hogan - I feel that this monument cannot be genuine without the Hulkster. He was the biggest draw of the modern era and his style of working really influenced the current sports entertainment product. Known everywhere throughout the 80's as a pop culture icon, Hogan led the boom that put wrestling back on the map and paved the way for plenty of others that came after him. His success also opened the door for WWE to take the steps necessary to start putting their competition out of business. And later, when Hogan jumped ship to the competition, he reinvented himself with the NWO becoming a pop culture sensation in two separate decades.

Lou Thesz - I feel Thesz is a pivotal choice as he was the biggest wrestling star in the 50's. The NWA was the organization that not only unified all the world titles from before WW2 under one banner, but through their partnerships the different promoters would eventually give rise to the territories, and it was the NWA champion's job to make sure the demands and needs of each promoter in the organization were met, and no one did this better than Lou Thesz. He traveled everywhere, defended everywhere, and drew everywhere.

Ed Strangler Lewis - Lewis is an important historical figure. He was one of the sports greatest champions after Frank Gotch. He possessed great charisma and used his lasting appeal to set many of wrestling's foundations. The Lewis trope placed time limits on matches. Developed new finishes. They ran cards. They demonstrated that wrestlers without legit grappling skills could be used to draw money. Lewis working heel developed many of the techniques that modern heels still use today. He also ran some of the earliest pro wrestling story lines, and found ways to continuously dupe fans from parting with their money. At his peak he enjoyed popularity on par with Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, and John Barrymore.

Jim Londos - I went back and forth on this one. Jim Londos is generally regarded as the best drawing card in pro wrestling history. For 28 months he drew more big gates than anyone ever, and all during the 30's where people had little to no money to spend, but yet they'd gladly spend a weekly wage on a ticket to go see Jim Londos. Londos is credited as being one of the first gimmick wrestlers in the industry. One of the first to really use showmanship to his advantage, and the boom period he led in the 30's was one of the most important as it established solid business in cities, like New York, that did not have a strong pro wrestling presence or tradition before.

So those are the 4 heads of my pro wrestling Mount Rushmore. What are yours?

HBK - Chris Jericho said it best when he said without HBK there is no Hall of Fame

Undertaker - Do I really need to go into detail here?

Ric Flair - 2 time Hall of Famer for a reason

Last spot has to go to Stone Cold - The man made more $$$ than anyone in history

Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and The Undertaker.

Perhaps decades from now, Triple H will be more worthy than Undertaker due to his contributions to the company and NXT following the end of his in-ring career.

McMahon is the one responsible for it all. Hogan and Austin were his biggest money makers and ushered in two explosive, mainstream, money-making eras and Undertaker is a name synonymous with McMahon's biggest creation which made it all possible. Triple H is McMahon's heir. So if the mountain was chiseled now? Yeah, McMahon, Hogan, Austin and Taker. Taker is probably the only name that can be argued since you did say wrestling and not WWE. Sammartino maybe? The only names for sure has to be Vince, Hogan and Austin, fourth is interchangeable I guess.

Bruno Sammartino, Vince McMahon, Eric Bischoff, Hulk Hogan.

Eric Bischoff I think is my only controversial one, but I feel like the Monday Night Wars pushed wrestling to it's all time peak of popularity, and WCW's lasting influence on everything wrestling today is undoubtable. It made both the WCW and WWF Better.

I think the other 3 have no question to why they're there.

My PERSONAL wrestler Mt. Rushmore:

Stone Cold, Sting, Rock, Savage

My PERSONAL non-wrestler Mt. Rushmore:

Vince, Heyman, Bischoff, Jim Ross

But if I had to choose four faces to represent the whole industry:

Bruno, Hogan, Stone Cold, Vince

Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Undertaker, John Cena, Vince McMahon

I could sub out Cena for a Sammartino (even though I don't care abut his accomplishments),

If I had to pick 4 that I felt truly encompassed professional wrestling here's the list

Hulk Hogan - whether you love him or hate him he put "Sports Entertainment" on the map and will go down as the most popular wrestler of all time.
Ric Flair - You can't deny the Nature Boy is the greatest of all time, the NWA's answer to Hulk Hogan.
Vince McMahon - Once again, love him or hate him, Vince McMahon is the patron saint(yeah I couldn't type that straight faced) of professional wrestling, he took a regional promotion and took it global. He did what many before and after him have tried and failed many times to do.
Before I announce my final pick I just want to say that it's tough to pick 4 influential figures in wrestling because there's so many to choose from but I'd have to go with Eric Bischoff.
Bischoff took a fledgling project of Ted Turner's and turned it into a profitable division within Turner Broadcasting. Again say what you will about the guy but so much of what Vince McMahom would later go on to do with the WWF came from what WCW was already doing. RAW live every week, becoming an on-screen character, becoming an edgier product these were all things WCW was doing before Vince was doing it. As much as we like to credit Bischoff with causing the end of an era, he helped make that era in the first place.

Hulk Hogan: For obvious reasons. Hulk Hogan is synonymous with professional wrestling and is probably the most recognizable name in history aside from The Rock. OP basically covered it all; pop cultural icon, put wrestling back on the map, and largely considered the true "greatest of all time". It would be a joke to leave Hulk Hogan off a Mount Rushmore of pro-wrestling.

Gorgeous George: I've said it before... Gorgeous George, in my opinion, set the precedent for modern day wrestling more than anybody else in history. In an era when wrestling was almost strictly that, wrestling, George was among the first to realize that drama sells. He led the first boom of professional wrestling and became one of the biggest stars in the world during his time on top. It's said that at the height of his run, George was able to demand 50% of the gate. If we're talking draws, Gorgeous George is among the top. He was the one who paved the way for Hogan to pave the way.

Ric Flair: Honestly, I think it can be argued that Ric Flair matched Hulk Hogan in popularity all throughout the 80s and 90s. The 16 time World Champion who wrestled in 5 different decades throughout his career. The Nature Boy. In my opinion, the greatest promo man of all time. Ric Flair both epitomized and revolutionized wrestling along with Hogan and he deserves a spot just as much as Hogan does.

Bruno Sammartino: Strictly for being the longest reigning and drawing WWE champion in history, he belongs on this list. Bruno was also the first "breakout" star of the modern era of wrestling. If not for the guy above, it could be argued that nobody was more popular or successful for a longer period of time in wrestling than Bruno Sammartino.

If this were 20 years down the road, my Mount Rushmore would probably be a bit different. Right now however, I think it's still too soon to judge the full impact that the likes of Austin and The Rock had on the industry.

For me Wrestling begins in the 80s and as such my Rushmore is:

Hulk Hogan: Can't tell the story of modern wrestling without Hogan. He is the man that made it possible.

Stone Cold: Like Hogan before him he carried it to the next generation.

The Rock: My personal favorite and the most charismatic performer ever.

Bret Hart: My next favorite and the best ever between the ropes. No one has or ever will make it look as good in the ring as Bret did.

Top post! Mine would be as follows:

Hulk Hogan - Literally the most recognisable face in wrestling and the wider world. Regardless of recent press and his situation, he will always be regarded as the reason I watched my first wrestling show (Wrestlemania 3).

Ric Flair - Nobody can say that they have done what he has done in the business. From the NWA, to WCW, to the WWE, Flair has stayed relevant for 30+ years and has a resume that nobody else can match.

John Cena - Now I know it is a little early to be mentioning him, but lets be honest, regardless of whether you love him, or hate him, he has carried the company on his back since 2004 and has been on top for nearing 13 years. In years to come, he will be remembered as 'the man'.

And finally...

'Stone Cold' Steve Austin - The reason wrestling became great again in the mid to late 90's. His impact on the industry as a whole cannot be denied. He flew into mainstream culture and had the hottest angle in wrestling history with Vince McMahon. He will be regarded as one of the greatest of all time, and in my eyes, 'the' greatest of all time.

Mine - as a child of the late 70's who never started watching wrestling until the late 80s...

Hogan

Sting

Undertaker

The Rock

My personal Mt Rushmore would be Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin and The Rock.

If I was to choose a populist one - it would be Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena.

If I was to choose a longer term contribution one it would be Vince, Flair, Undertaker and Bruno Sammartino.

If there was a non wrestler one - it would be Jim Ross, Pat Patterson, Gorilla Monsoon and Paul Heyman.

If there was a manager one it would be Bobby Heenan, Jim Cornette, Paul Bearer and Paul Heyman.

Damn man - its hard but I think the populist one would be the favourite.

My Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment Mount Rushmore would be:

Hulk Hogan – The Icon of WWE. If WWE was a comic book company, Hulk Hogan is Superman. Before Hulk Hogan, wrestling was just another sport to me. As soon as I saw the Hulk Hogan on TV, Wrestling became a way of life to me.

Ric Flair – The Icon of WCW. If WCW was a comic book company, Ric Flair is Lex Luthor. I always thought of Flair as the leader of the “Legion Of Doom”, if you will. I viewed NWA / WCW as the “other” company, with a Heel as their top guy.

Stone Cold Steve Austin – The Icon of Raw. If Raw was a comic book company, Stone Cold Steve Austin is Batman. He just brought the “Anti-Hero” character to life. He was the “bad” good guy. Plus breaking Hogan’s multiple records in the WWE just adds to his appeal. Superman is good, but everyone knows, Batman is more popular.

The Rock – The Icon of Smackdown. If Smackdown was a comic book company, The Rock is the Joker. He made being the Villain cool. He was the “good” bad guy. He was the perfect counter to Austin. He commanded respect, and if he didn’t get it, he’ll make fun of you for a little bit (and great at it), then lay the Smackdown.

At the foot of the mountain, I’d like to add a statue of Chris Jericho somewhere with his Undisputed WWF / WCW Championships. I’d also add a statue of Kurt Angle with his gold medals and all of his Championships.

Shawn Michaels

Undeniably he's the naturally gifted charismatic wrestler to ever step in the ring. He certainly should be there with no doubts. If you look at the young stars, they probably had looked upon only the likes of the Heart Break Kid. He deserves a spot there.

Hulk Hogan

Without him, WWE never would've been the same. He brought something new to the professional wrestling. Something colourful and he carried the company over his shoulders for many years and making it World wide!

Vince McMahon

WWE would've been another glorified Indy promotion if it weren't for Vince McMahon to step into the game and made all the fame possible. A great business mind, also had involved in much growling storylines and kept the shows rolling from the Indy market to the Internet.

The Undertaker

The legend who lived for WWE, aspired and inspired millions of others in and out of the ring. The man who lived his gimmick throughout most of his life, just for that there should be two faces of him engraved. Regardless of how great Bruno, Bret or many others who have been quoted above, Undertaker is a legend and always will be.

Antonio Inoki - Japanese super-face who took the art-form into the mainstream by taking on Muhammad Ali.

Bruno Sammartino - Beloved performer whose fame brought wide-spread appeal from legendary athletes and The Pope.

George Hackenschmidt - Prowrestling's first enforcer, a man who nobody could beat fairly.

Lou Thesz - The man who made the NWA World Heavyweight Championship look as good as the hype surrounding it.

Honorable Mention: Karl Gotch - The man who practically created Puroresu.

For the sake of being to lazy to do actual research on the complete history of pro wrestling I am going to sample the Modern Era. Rock & Wrestling and beyond. My list focuses on in ring talents.

What does Mount Rushmore stand for? The faces on the actual monument represent founding, expansion, preservation, and unification.

Founding: Hulk Hogan. He is undoubtedly the star who began the movement towards Sports Entertainment.

Expansion: Steve Austin. His work as Stone Cold led a movement that saw wrestling reach unseen hights of popularity.

Preservation: Bret Hart. Was vital to maintain the business during an extremely low point. Hart helped transition into the most popular era. Some may argue for Michaels here but I personally believe Hart meant more.

Unification: Undertaker. A true professional who has spanned through the modern era. His longevity and accomplishments have influenced so much and so many for roughly three decades.

Hogan- the all time face of the industry.

Flair - the industry greatest worker/heel.

The Rock - the ambassador of wrestling in hollywood.

Andre the Giant - the first international mega star.

Hulk Hogan: Biggest star ever in US wrestling ....period....and the public face of pro wrestling during the massive national expansion in the 1980s.....remained a legit main event draw well into the 2000s

Ric Flair: The consummate pro wrestler......wrestled every style, and virtually every name of note during his 35 plus year career, 2nd biggest draw nationally behind Hogan in the 1980s, one of the biggest draws in the 1990s, and still a viable main eventer and top of the card performer literally until retirement in 2008.

Vince McMahon: Made WWE a national and eventually an international company, and helped make pro wrestling a permanent part of US pop culture. HHH does Miller Light Commercials, Kevin Nash hosted MTV Spring Break, Hogan & The Rock made multiple feature films, Flair has been the subject of rap songs and quoted by numerous sports personalities and celebrated by numerous athletes, Steve Austin has made numerous TV & movie appearances, none of this would have been possible if not for McMahon taking his company and by extension the industry in a whole new direction.

The first 3 are actually pretty easy for me.....its the 4th one that I struggle with.

Gorgeous George & Buddy Rogers were huge stars and innovators who influenced countless stars in eras after them.

Austin & Rock had short runs but enjoyed prolific popularity.

Andre The Giant was truly an international star and public presence even before the national expansion, and his role in the creation of WrestleMania as "the Super Bowl of Pro Wrestling" cant be denied, one half of maybe the most famous match of all time.

John Cena has been one of the greatest ambassadors of the industry all time, his numerous charity work and record breaking number of "make a wish" appearances single handedly generating tons of good will for WWE

Dusty Rhodes was not only one of the most popular stars nationwide during its greatest boom period but a talented booker and talent evaulautor who was at the forefront of some of the greatest storylines of the 1980s as well as his work with NXT in later years in WWE, not too mention his HOF in ring career.

Sting & Undertaker are the epitome of company men, tireless workers carrying the load no matter their spot on the card, and entertaining win or lose with two of the most charismatic and dynamic characters of all time, for 3 decades

Harley Race - one of the all time greatest heels and dominant World Champion

Verne Gagne - 9 time World Champion in the ring who ran the AWA for decades behind the scene and was instrumental in developing some of the greatest talent ever in the industry including Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Curt Henning, The Road Warriors, and Shawn Michaels among others.

But to me, It comes down to either Bruno Sammartino or Lou Thesz. Both of their credentials are exemplary, and Sammartino was the guy WWE literally built themselves around when they started in the 1960s (and if he failed likely would have been the death knell for the company), but I'll give the nod to Thesz, probably the single biggest legend in the business before the advent of Flair & Hogan. He's my #4 in a close race over Bruno.

Keeping to the 4 names as per the initial thread:

Vince McMahon - Most successful promoter ever and turned the industry into a worldwide phenomenon- and part of mainstream entertainment culture.

Hulk Hogan - Still the most famous wrestler ever who brought wrestling into the modern era.

Ric Flair - The 'wrestlers wrestler' with along lasting legacy spanning cross 5 decades

Lou Thesz- Greatest star and draw of the golden era of wrestling

4 names for my Wrestling Mt. Rushmore. The first two are, for me, no brainers.

1) Lou Thesz - There are many arguments for Londos, Hackenschmidt, Lewis and even Gorgeous George. However, it was Thesz that united the Promotions under the NWA banner. He took on all comers, in all areas, and sold out everywhere he went. His run kept promoters happy, which was desperately needed during the early days of the NWA. Arguably the greatest champion in NWA history.

2) Bruno Sammartino - The greatest wrestler in what would become the most important Territorial promotion of the era. Never failed to sell out Madison Square Garden, the old Boston Garden, and all the other Northeastern arenas in between. Held the WWF strap longer than anyone in history. His popularity was near universal. People STILL curse out Larry Zbyzsko for turning on Bruno 35 years ago.

The next two will stir some controversy.

3) Rikidozan - The founder of the Japan Wrestling Association and mentor to BOTH Baba and Inoki. He was responsible for making puroresu popular in Japan. At a time when fans needed native star to cheer for, Rikidozan would become a national hero. So beloved Rikidozan was that none other than Lou Thesz would drop the NWA strap to him in Japan. He was tragically murdered in 1963. However, his legacy lives on in the promotions founded by Baba and Inoki.

4) Bobo Brazil - There is a reason that Major League Baseball retired Jackie Robinson's number. Brazil's contributions not just to Professional Wrestling, but to American society as a whole, demands his inclusion. A trailblazer at the dawn of the Civil Rights movement. His popularity knew no race, color or creed. At a time when promoters would have Brazil face only other Afro-American wrestlers, people clamored to see him against all comers. He did, and became one of the most popular draws in the business. Though he won many championships, he "never" won the NWA World strap. He did defeat Buddy Rogers in 1963for the NWA World strap. However, to the NWA's eternal shame, cited an "injury" to Rogers, and refused to recognize the change. He would continue to break down barriers and would mentor the next generation such as Rocky Johnson and Ernie Ladd. He would remain one of the most popular wrestlers until his retirement in 1993. The closest thing wrestling has to Jackie Robinson, Bobo Brazil's inclusion on a Wrestling Mt. Rushmore is well deserved.

1. Me -- Brothers I put wrestling on the map and am the most recognizable name and face in the history of the business.

2. Undertaker -- A true legend in the industry dudes. He has done it all and was a great mentor to the younger guys.

3. Stone Cold -- Without him, me and Bischoff would've put Vince out of business. hate his big run was cut short for health problems.

4. Vince -- Love him or hate him he is the best promoter of all time and has dedicated his entire life to this business.

My personal Rushmore would be:
Hogan-Sting-Steamboat-Stan Hansen

However, I recognize that only 1 of those four probably belongs on a generally accepted Mt. Rushmore for a general audience.

I'd say the mainstream North American Mt. Rushmore is actually pretty easy:
Hogan-Austin-Rock-Flair

If you count promoters instead of just wrestlers, Flair falls off and gets replaced by Vince McMahon. That group of 5 (Hogan, Austin, Rock, Flair, Vince) is indisputably the list of the five most significant contributors to wrestling of the modern era.

My WWF/WWE Mt. Rushmore (rassler's only)...

Hogan
Austin
Cena
Undertaker

American wrestling overall?

Lou Thesz
Gorgeous George
Hulk Hogan
Bobo Brazil

International Wrestling?

Inoki
El Santo
Misawa
Rikidozan

Comedy guys?

Andy Kaufman (the greatest heel of all time)
Santino
Mick Foley (it feels weird putting him here, but I think fans over time will remember him more for the laughs than for the falls)
Bobby Heenan

Hulk Hogan for being the most over guy in wrestling, and getting the most eyes on the business.

Ric Flair for being the greatest champion probably of all time.

Vince McMahon for being the greatest promoter of all time.
Andre for being Andre.
Jim Ross for being the best commentator of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back