• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is your favorite crime show?

Your favorite crime drama?

• NCIS: either of them

• CSI:any of the 3

• NYPD Blue

• Cold Case

• Criminal Minds:either

• Detroit 187

• Law and Order:any of them

• Breakout Kings

• Justified

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stuntz

WTF!!!!
Your choices are just some of the more popular and/or new shows out. Some of these have created spin-offs and if your favorite falls into one of those catetgtories just pick it, and tell us why its your favorite. Your chaoices are as follows....

NCISProbably one of the best crime shows out on basic television right now. Now getting ready to close out its 7th season, it is the number 1 rated show on Tuesday nights and has created a spin-off NCIS: Los Angeles which has kept number 1 in its time slot the same evening.

CSINo one who likes crime based drama has not seen any of theses shows. It has been around for quite along time and is a Staple in the Crime TV entertainment world, creating not 1 but 2 spinoffs, one a hell of a lot better than the other, and is still kicking. Killing off a few important charachters and some leaving ans coming back this one is one for the ages.

NYPD BlueProbably considered the grand-daddy to the crime drama this has been mentioned in this forum more times than i can remmeber. I honestly dont remember much about the show, but if you liked the show i need not say anymore.

Cold CaseI personally love this show, based in Philadelphia each and every week a cold case is brought up and the detectives go through the clues and interview old witnesses. The filmography is great going from past to present in this one and in all honest opinion the endings are always emotional.

Criminal MindsYet another CBS show in which a spin off has been created. This one is unique in which it profiles the killer and his behavior, which leads to his/her capture. The characters are great and believable, and is one of my favorites for sure.

Detroit 187I dont know much about this one at all as it is a newer show and I havent had time to watch it. Thought it deserved a mention because i remember it starting strong in the rating when it first came out.

Law and OrderIf NYPD Blue is the granddaddy of crime thillers then this is the bastard child of him. Another crime show that has been around for many many years and has spun 2 if not 3 spin-offs, all of which were popular and well received by the public. Looks at the inner works of the police working with the prosecutors to get convictions.

Breakout KingsNew show less than 10 episodes into the first season, this one is the most intriguing to me. 3 convicts helping 2 cops find and arrest criminals who have escaped prison to receive time off of their own sentence. Still developing the innerworks of their character developement but has potential.

JustifiedAn FX hit starring Timothy Olyphant, I havent seen much o fthe show personally, but what I have seen i enjoyed. Tim's character is a U.S. Marshal is assigned to his hometown after a "justified" killing of a criminal, and runs into all kinds of issues back home with some rough shot crooks he knows personally from his younger days. All in all I wish I had more time so I could catch up with this one.

My choice has to be NCIS. The original has outstanding characters who all get along and have fun at work, but when the job needs to get done, they get it done. i love DiNozo's character and the chemistry with David is great. throw in Ducky who cant stop talking about his past, a goth loving lab tech Abby, the computer geek McGee lead by the masterful Gibbs, this show truely has it all, and then some.

Criminal Minds

I personally prefer Criminal Minds for the reason that it goes into behavious and reasoning. I like this better than the good guys just rying to find the bad guys because it makes you think. This as well as the Crime Show Numbers are the only crime shows I will watch. I'm not a huge fan of the overall crime show genre however if I feel it will make me smarter I will occasionly watch it. I think this show has a good element of factual stuff mixed with the elements of action to produce one solid show. This show isn't one of my shows I must watch however I will occasionly flip it on if I feel like it. Being a nonfan of Crime scene shows this actually is an accomplisment for the show.

I'm way more into Law & Orger: SVu than any of the other shows. I have grown increasingly sick of the repetitive nature of NCIS and I really just can't stand Gibbs anymore. All of the characters on every CSI spin off irritate the piss out of me, as do the characters on Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Tony is the only interesting character to me. But for some reason, I can still watch all day marathons of SVU no matter how many times I've seen them, except for the latest season though. That shit has been pretty ridiculous. But for the most part, I'm always totally into whatever they're feeding me.

I'll also give a special mention to Detroit 1-8-7. I was watching when it started and I found it pretty intriguing for the most part. Unfortunately for them, Tosh.0 was moved to Tuesday nights at 9, so I kind of just tuned out altogether. Michael Imperioli(sp?) is a fine actor though and he makes the show what it is.

Of those shows Justified is head and shoulders above the rest. For one it isn't a procedural, so that gives it a leg up.

But more than that they've created quite a show of a modern day Wild West. Since the initial post doesn't give much of an explanation: The show is centered around US Marshall Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant) who as a punishment for a high profile shooting is forced to go back to the home state of Kentucky where he escaped his criminal father Arlo and the coal mines that he worked in as a kid. Upon his return he finds out his old best friend Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins from The Shield) is still running amok.

The characters are all given multiple shades. The first season does a mix of stand alone episodes while building to a big showdown between Raylan and the Crowders. The first season was good, but the second season has been verging on classic territory for me. The show has created the Bennett family who started the season as the family that controls the weed traffic through Harlan county but with a much larger scheme in mind to set themselves for the future. Mags Bennett is in charge of her three sons who all fill different roles in a criminal empire. Mags is the kind of villain that shows like Dexter wish they could create. There's been a pull on Boyd between trying to go straight and doing what he's good at, and it wouldn't be false to say that even that Marshall Givens is having that same struggle.

The writing is sharp, the acting is great, and the atmosphere of Harlan County is one you don't see on television often. Great stuff.

I never really liked crime shows. I think they're redundant and have little-to-zero suspense since none of the main characters on any crime show I've seen end up being that likable. Having likable characters is the key for a show and movie to carry real suspense, because you have to give a damn if the person you're watching lives or dies, otherwise what's the point of caring about the outcome?

That said, I checked out the show Bones simply because David Boreanaz stars in it (I'm a fan of his from the shows Angel and BTVS), and I really dug it for the most part. It's highly intelligent, and Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel have GREAT chemistry together. The supporting characters fall flat for me though, and I wish there was an overall arc to each season, but Boreanaz and Deschanel make the show really fun to watch with the way they feed off each other.

I went with other for the brilliance of "Monk". I thought the last episode was rather anti-climactic and had so little build up that it seemed like just another case, not THE CASE. Tony Shaloub was brilliant in it as was Ted Levine as Captain Stottlemeyer (a far cry from "It's put the lotion on the skin") and the comedic timing of Jason Gray-Stanford as Lieutenant Disher was priceless. I'm also a big fan of Sherlock Holmes so to see the methods that made Holmes perhaps the most famous detective of all time put to use in a prime time television show made me quite happy.

CSI. The Miami version is so over the top it's unbelievable and the New York one is so poorly written it's scary, but the original Vegas version is excellent. The acting is entertaining all round whether it be from the core cast or from a guest star. For example, Bill Irwin has been playing a recurring character named Nate Haskell. Haskell is a serial killer nicknamed 'The Dick & Jane Killer' due to his modus operandi. He's very, very creepy and Irwin is very believable in the role. It's simple and effective casting. The storylines are usually solid (though sometimes it's a bit of a stretch). It's just a very consistent, entertaining show.

I went with other for the brilliance of "Monk". I thought the last episode was rather anti-climactic and had so little build up that it seemed like just another case, not THE CASE. Tony Shaloub was brilliant in it as was Ted Levine as Captain Stottlemeyer (a far cry from "It's put the lotion on the skin") and the comedic timing of Jason Gray-Stanford as Lieutenant Disher was priceless. I'm also a big fan of Sherlock Holmes so to see the methods that made Holmes perhaps the most famous detective of all time put to use in a prime time television show made me quite happy.

Completely agree with the choice of Monk. I can understand why some people don't like it, as a detective with OCD seems a bit coincidental. I mean, how hard can it be to be a great detective when you have a photographic memory? However, I think this show makes it work due to the great cast. SorgFamily already pointed out Shaloub, Levine and Gray-Stanford, who were indeed excellent. In addition to those, I thought Traylor Howard was solid as Natalie. Also, Stanley Kamel and Hector Elizondo were brilliant as Monk's respective shrinks. I thought that the show always managed to come up with creative scripts, considering every episode follows the same basic plot of someone gets murdered and Monk catches the killer. It was also extremely funny, with Lt Disher providing most of the laughs. Very good show.

NYPD BlueProbably considered the grand-daddy to the crime drama this has been mentioned in this forum more times than i can remmeber. I honestly dont remember much about the show, but if you liked the show i need not say anymore.

Law and OrderIf NYPD Blue is the granddaddy of crime thillers then this is the bastard child of him. Another crime show that has been around for many many years and has spun 2 if not 3 spin-offs, all of which were popular and well received by the public. Looks at the inner works of the police working with the prosecutors to get convictions.
"Bastard child'?
Bro, you serious? (WWWYKI)
Considering L&O had 3 seasons on the tube before NYPDB even aired and another 5 after Blue's end I'd say you've got your facts wrong. Anyway, the true granddaddy of the police procedural/crime drama—which is the genre I'd classify both shows as being a part of—was Dragnet in '51 (although it started on radio in '49–'50?).

Law & Order (the original) would definitely win my vote. The best years being the Briscoe/Curtis–Briscoe/Green years. Not to say the other fine actors were inferior but rather, for me personally, I had a stand-out favorite in Jerry Orbach's Lennie Briscoe character and era. Once Orbach left the show to do L&O:Trial by Jury Jessie L. Martin's Ed Greene took a while to find his footing in the Sr. detective role and it showed –and yes I omitted the short stays of detectives Fontana and Falco, apologies. I would have like to see the Lupo and Bernard pairing get a few more years to grow into the legacy and see a bit of a return to the less sensationalized stunt/sweeps story-lines.

I never understood why NBC would cancel the show—that was on its way to being the longest running American drama series of all time mind you—only to force the absolute drek that is L&O:LA upon us. While it's a true impossibility, I still hope against hope that that show will be aborted in favor of a triumphantly returning Law & Order next year.

I definetly have to go with NCIS on this one. It's the only crime drama that I could ever get into and I love it! The best part about the show is definetly the chemistry, they all work so well together. Even when Tony and Ziva mess with eachother they just come together like puzzle peices(which I dont believe Kate ever did with Tony) and then when things get serious theyre all actions. Ducky kindof reminds me of my grandpa, he's older than the rest of us but he is always there to help, always has a joke and fits perfectly. And Gibbs is just perfect.

I'm going to go with Dexter. While the main story is Dexter's murderous ways, discovering his past, and trying to be normal in society, there is a heavy crime show element surrounding it all. Since he works as a blood splatter analyst at Miami Metro Homicide, every season or couple of episodes there is a separate arc of the detectives and officers trying to find serial killers, often times twisting into Dexter's story and goals. The supporting cast is also a great set of varying, likable characters that each adds something to the show.

My favorite arc was in the second season when they were after the Bay Harbor Butcher. The whole city and department were working their asses off to find out who this serial killer is (Dexter's sister works the hardest) and the whole time the person they're going after is Dexter. (Note: This isn't spoilers it's known right from the start that they're going after Dexter unknowingly). So Dexter had to try to swerve them in the wrong direction while not trying to make it too obvious he is, then there's the drama with his girlfriend and his kids. It was just a phenomenal season that me and my girlfriend thoroughly enjoyed, probably my favorite season yet.

I dont know if u would consider it as a crime show,but my favourite show is Dexter.Dexter, a forensics expert at day, serial killer with a touch of vigilantism at night. Dexter is creating a believable and very detailed portrait of a, lets say troubled, sociopath. One of the parts about the show I like best is the emotions that normal people exhibit, thus forcing Dexter to mimic them. Good laugh when the emotions Dexter fake get real, and he is scared out of his mind, like in the relationship with his "girlfriend" Rita (dont want to spoil the thrill for season 2 for those who haven't seen it), mother of two and victim of her abusive ex-boyfriend. Also liked the acting of Jennifer Carpenter as Dexter's sister Debra, adds a nice touch colour to the show, without drifting into clichés.

Thrilling story, many details, and one of the best opening sequences ever

I usually cannot get into crime shows. Mainly due to not being interested in policeman or lawyers as onscreen characters. However I do enjoy both Law & Order SVU and Law & Order LA because both of these shows have good storylines that are portrayed well by great casts. Pretty much any other crime show bores me.

Columbo is by far the best crime show. Lt. Columbo is an excellent character, and the show has hosted some really great actors and actresses. If you've never seen an episode, or are a fan of Monk (which I have seen once or twice), I would really recommend watching Columbo. I would recommend, 'A Stitch in Time', or anything with Robert Culp.

CSI is my favourite, some of the storylines are really good although I have not watched much since Gill went out of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back