What is the Best Wrestlemania Rematch?

deadtaker

Occasional Pre-Show
Over the history of Wrestlemania there have been several matches that gone have been repeated in future years usually the following year. This was usually do to the amazing match that had happened the first time around that it made sense to have the match again. So what is the best Wrestlemania rematch?

Here are some of the matches that were some of the more high profile matches at Wrestlemania.

Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant Wrestlemania 3 & 4
Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna Wrestlemania 9 & 10
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock Wrestlemania 15 & 17 & 19
The Undertaker vs. Kane Wrestlemania 14 & 20
The Undertaker vs. HBK Shawn Micheals Wrestlemania 25 & 26
Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz & Dudley Boyz Wrestlemania 16 & 17

I may be missing a few but these were the most high profile Wrestlemania rematches. For what its worth the rematch that was the best for me was The Undertaker vs. HBK at Wrestlemania 26 with the TLC tag match a close 2nd. They were the 2 matches that lived up to the previous match or even exceeded it.

I'm going to say Austin/Rock WM 17.

The whole feel of that night was amazing because we knew what the whole night was building towards. The build-up for it was excellent and with it being in Texas and the Astrodome was just a tip of the iceberg. They delivered a great match (not technical but who cares) and nobody saw that ending coming. I remember that night I couldn't watch the last few matches because I was going on a 3-day school trip the next day so I slept at a buddies house and I couldn't stay home to see the end. So I had to wait until Wednesday night when i got home to see it and boy was I stunned.

It's one of the greatest moments in MW history with the 2 biggest faces colliding for the 3rd time, first with Rock as a face.

2nd I's give to the TLC from MW 17. great repeat match, probably better than the first few they had, couldn't believe they had Edge & Christian win it again. Again, i couldn't see this match but I could've sworn the Hardy's were going over here. Either way, both were great.

That's a hard choice so I'm gonna go with 2, Shawn Michaels vs. HBK and, TLC 2.

Austin vs. Rock was the biggest match of all the ones mentioned (even more than Hulk vs. Andre at WM4), it was a great rematch and had a good, surprise ending, but I felt the other 2 were better matches overall.

For myself the Dudleys vs. Hardys vs. E&C were the show stealers at their respective wrestlemanias, and for TLC II everything got upped, the spots were better, there were more people involved, the carnage was greater, and on top of it I didn't see E&C winning because they always win those kinds of matches, personally I thought they would switch it up. The interference by Spike, Lita and Rhyno were great and added to the match. Simply put, the match was just 1 big adrenaline rush.

Shawn vs. Taker has been talked about so much that its hard to find new things to say about it. The big thing it was the last match of HBK, possibly the greatest overall performer of all time, and I absolutely loved this match went on last, and the 2 delivered what I consider the greatest Main Event in WM history (on a pure match level that is). They both told an incredible story start to finish and even though everyone and their dog knew Taker was winning this one, it in no way, shape or form ruined the match for me, pretty much the same thing with HBK vs. Flair 2 years prior. All in all, this was HBK's curtain call, and that night he showed the world why he was Mr. Wrestlemania, showed the wrestling world what we were gonna be missing, and frankly I don't think you could ask for a better ending to a career than what HBK was given at WM26. Great match, great ending, perfect spot on the card, so all in all I think I have to give the best rematch to HBK vs. Taker.

Actually the first match that E & C , The Hardys and The Dudleys had was a Triangle Ladder Match not TLC for the record, it's just that they used Tables and Chairs, the match at WrestleMania 17 was the TLC match, so both were different matches completely which explains the comment earlier on there being more spots at WM17, it was the first TLC match at Mania

Anyway, I'm going with The Rock vs Stone Cold, yes HBK vs Taker II was awesome, hell I was there for their first match, it was better, but the 2nd was great too.

Austin and Rock though, there was more emotional investment for me in those bouts and to do it three times, it was just that damn good, so nice they did it thrice, I love it. The first was a good match, the second was better and the shock at the end and the third was just amazing and also emotional

HBK's last match was awesome too and it's my 2nd fav, but I gotta go and say Austin's last match was great as well, I'm going with The Rock/Austin Trilogy

Undertaker-HBK II had so much potential to be a disaster due to the build up to the match. It had to compete with there Match of the Year from a year earlier which was one of the best Wrestlemania matches of all time. It also had the whole retirement angle that you knew what was coming but trying to make HBK still look good. You also had to somehow not make the Undertaker look like the bad guy for ending his career.

It still came off as one of the best wrestlemania matches ever.

As for the TLC match this was a great match with a ton of high spots and considering that they already had 2 previous matches like this in the past year it was still great.

I think the problem with some of the other rematches were the results and overshadowing. The Hulk Hogan-Andre match had to contend with the biggest match in wrestling history from the previous year and the fact it ended in double disqualification didn't help.

The Yokozuna-Bret Hart rematch was overshadowed by Bret Hart-Owen Hart match earlier in the night which was much better than the main event and that the Razon Ramon-HBK ladder match was the best on the night.

The Undertake-Kane rematch was pretty much over after the entrance. The only thing really memorable was the return of the Deadman character and the match was secondary to that.

It has to be Austin VS Rock from Wrestlemania 17. I really, really enjoyed that match. These two men had a deep hatred for each other, and they were allowed to beat the hell out of each other on the grandest stage of them all. I wish this would've happened t Wrestlemania 25....Anyway, Austin VS Rock from Wrestlemania 17 was MUCH better than their Wrestlemania 15 match. I know a lot of people hated the Austin heel turn here, but I actually liked it. It was the main event of Wrestlemania, and one of the most over faces ever joined forces with Vince McMahon. It was soooo shocking. I can still remember sitting in front of the TV with my mouth hanging wide open, as Austin beat The Rock senseless with a steel chair. And the handshake between Vince and Austin was a nice touch. It was like watching Stone Cold sign a deal with the Devil.

Shawn Michaels VS The Undertaker from Wrestlemania 26 has been my favorite match of the year so far, and it is a close second for me. It was a great match, but I enjoyed their Wrestlemania 25 encounter a lot more. I was literally on the edge of my seat during that entire match. The action was great, and the constant counters were amazing. I didn't know what move HBK or Taker would pull out next, and this helped add a lot of suspense to the match. Also, Wrestlemania 25 was the first time where I believed The Undertaker's streak was in real jeopardy. The match from this year's Wrestlemania was great, but I just didn't feel the drama here. You just knew it was over when HBK slapped Taker.

Its a hard choice between rock austin from wm 17 and hbk taker from wm 26 but Im gonna have to go with hbk and taker, michaels is my favorite wrestler of all time with this being his retirement match i really feel like he gave it all he had in this match, i think it was one of the best mania matches ever...

How can you even argue for anything but Taker-HBK? Their first match was one of the best matches in wrestling history. To come off of that, create the incredible buildup to the rematch, and not only live up to but exceed expectations...It's an easy choice for me.

How can you not include Savage vs Steamboat from Wrestlemania 3. The buildup to that match was unbelievable at that time. Savage hitting Steamboat with the bell in the throat and Steamboat coming back a couple weeks later to get his revenge. It was a classic match with a classic finish.

kingjaekob & Duke-05 you need to re-read the title, it said Best WrestleMania Rematch, those were one time only

for the record I realize a rematch occured outside of Mania, but this is WrestleMania Rematch as in (occured at WrestleMania a second time, in Rock/Austin's case, third)

not a bash, but a point out

When I think Best WrestleMania rematch, I go straight to the Main Events. What two Superstars Main Evented together at the Grandest Stage of Them All more than once. Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant, Bret Hart and Yokozuna, Triple H and John Cena / Triple H and Randy Orton (the only one left is Cena and Orton, but we’ll get back to that around March), the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels (a very very close second), even Undertaker and Kane, to a certain extent. I think the Best WM rematch was Stone Cold and the Rock. It may have something to do with it being the first and only WM Trilogy.

Whoever says Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 26 surpassed their Wrestlemania 25 must be too caught up in hype. Their Wrestlemania 25 match was waaaaaaaaay better than the 26 one.

Either way, although their Wrestlemania 25 match was the superior match, my vote still goes to Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 26.

What a way to end the show and what a way to end a career. These guys have got to be the best performers in WWE history. After Mr. Mchmahon did not put last year's match as the main event finally he gave them what these great legends deserve. Micheals was amazing and spectacular and Taker was scarily moving and phenomenal. The entrances were just superb and the atmosphere in the night was incredible.

One of the most anticipated matches in WWE history. It didn't disappoint. I don't remember being this tense during a match. Both men's catalog of classics is just unparalleled. So much drama, so many memorable moments, such excellent storytelling with Michaels working Taker's knee that played greatly into many of the spots later on in the match. Michaels' moonsault through the announce table was just nuts. The finish was brilliant with Michaels slapping Taker and Taker hitting the third Tombstone of the match to keep the streak alive and end Shawn Michaels's career. His moonsault from the top turnbuckle through the announce table was breathtaking & don't get me started on The Undertakers jumping tombstone piledriver. What happened after was one of the greatest endings to a Wrestlemania ever (or at least up there with Wrestlemania 8 & 17).

The conclusion with Michaels and Taker embracing and then Michaels saying goodbye to the crowd was a moment that will live on in Wrestlemania history for many years to come.

Taker should never lose at Wrestlemania and it was the most respectful result HBK has retired and Taker might never retire as he goes 18-0. This is one of the greatest main events to end a wrestlemania and a ppv. Unforgettable and emotional main event.

Its got to be Taker-HBK.

For one, Taker-HBK @ Mania 25 and 26 were better matches than Austin/ Rock at Mania 15/ 17.

Also disagree with the guy who said that Austin/ Rock was the biggest match. Taker/ HBK was bigger. At the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania, you had 2 of the longest lasting, most loyal and biggest legends in the history of the game put a performance at an age of 4s that can outperform 20 year olds in the industry. You had a guy with a history of memorable matches at Wrestlemania against a guy with a history of never losing at Wrestlemania (and several good matches too). This match in itself, happening at the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania, was the WWE's own biggest accomplishment and it summed up everything they did in the last 25 years.

I'm not talking about how popular Austin/ Rock were in the attitude era or how many tickets they sold, but Taker/ HBK right now hold a level of respect from their peers which is unmatched and no Austin or Rock can come close to it. In Taker/ HBK 2, the stakes were again higher than any Austin/ Rock match. You had the career of one of the greatest performers of all time, Shawn Michaels, on the line and you had the greatest record in the history of pro wrestling, the streak on the line. It was definitely a much bigger match than Austin/ Rock in terms of magnitude, respect, anticipation and star power as of now.

After their Hell in a Cell match in 1997 and their Wrestlemania 25 match, you really didn't know what more to expect from Taker and HBK. What could they do more than what they had already done in their earlier classics? But they proved it again as to why they are the best. While the match altogether maybe just a very little tiny bit below their Mania 25 match, they showed many risk taking and memorable moments in this match too (like the moonsault on the announce table), the tombstone on the floor outside the ring, and great emotion like Taker telling HBK to stay down, HBK mocking Taker's throat-slash and slapping him, Taker using the "jumping" tombstone after a very long time, and then breaking character to help Michaels up and shake hands with him (but still staying in character!). Its true, there are no showmen in the industry like these 2.

As for the guy who mentioned Steamboat vs Savage - did you even read what the question said? Its about Wrestlemania "rematches", not just "matches". Savage and Steamboat did not have a rematch at Wrestlemania.

Quite a limited question, I can't think of any besides taker and HBK, rock and Austin and Taker and Kane. Actually I'm gonna buck a trend here and go for one I just found AND is also a fair call. Dudleys v hardyz v edge and christian (TLC), both matches were great and it's not one of the three you think of immediately so yeah.

The fact that the Undertaker-HBK match didn't involve any title implications made it that much better. I know the retirement angle added fuel to the match but it didn't have that Championship to make it important. It was just bragging rights.

The best Wrestlemania rematch for me is easily Undertaker VS Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 26 because of the sotryline going into it, and all the momentum from their first match making it all the better. Why? The first one had everything a fan could want in a great match, it didn't NEED a world title being on the line. Then they gave us one more and tried to make it even better. The match itself wasn't as good as the first one, but the storyline was better and that is what made it such a memorable rematch.

Its got to be Taker-HBK.

For one, Taker-HBK @ Mania 25 and 26 were better matches than Austin/ Rock at Mania 15/ 17.

Also disagree with the guy who said that Austin/ Rock was the biggest match. Taker/ HBK was bigger. At the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania, you had 2 of the longest lasting, most loyal and biggest legends in the history of the game put a performance at an age of 4s that can outperform 20 year olds in the industry. You had a guy with a history of memorable matches at Wrestlemania against a guy with a history of never losing at Wrestlemania (and several good matches too). This match in itself, happening at the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania, was the WWE's own biggest accomplishment and it summed up everything they did in the last 25 years.

I'm not talking about how popular Austin/ Rock were in the attitude era or how many tickets they sold, but Taker/ HBK right now hold a level of respect from their peers which is unmatched and no Austin or Rock can come close to it. In Taker/ HBK 2, the stakes were again higher than any Austin/ Rock match. You had the career of one of the greatest performers of all time, Shawn Michaels, on the line and you had the greatest record in the history of pro wrestling, the streak on the line. It was definitely a much bigger match than Austin/ Rock in terms of magnitude, respect, anticipation and star power as of now.
After their Hell in a Cell match in 1997 and their Wrestlemania 25 match, you really didn't know what more to expect from Taker and HBK. What could they do more than what they had already done in their earlier classics? But they proved it again as to why they are the best. While the match altogether maybe just a very little tiny bit below their Mania 25 match, they showed many risk taking and memorable moments in this match too (like the moonsault on the announce table), the tombstone on the floor outside the ring, and great emotion like Taker telling HBK to stay down, HBK mocking Taker's throat-slash and slapping him, Taker using the "jumping" tombstone after a very long time, and then breaking character to help Michaels up and shake hands with him (but still staying in character!). Its true, there are no showmen in the industry like these 2.

As for the guy who mentioned Steamboat vs Savage - did you even read what the question said? Its about Wrestlemania "rematches", not just "matches". Savage and Steamboat did not have a rematch at Wrestlemania.

I disagree, for many reasons. 1st, taker and HBK were not the top guys of the company like rock and austin were at that time. 2nd, it wasn't for the title. 3rd, they failed to surpassed thier 1st wm match. With all due respect, no matter how many yrs hbk and taker wrestler they won't reach rock and austin star level.

Thank You.

There is some speculation that we may be getting another Wrestlemania rematch this year. Its seems almost guaranteed that there will be a Sheamus-Triple H rematch at Wrestlemania. I have also read some early reports that an Undertake-Kane match was in discussion but it seems that a Taker-Wade Barrett Match is in the works if Taker returns in time.

I am going with HBK and The Undertaker. I thought it had a much bigger build up then all of the other matches named. SHawn Michaels was obsessed with ending that streak. At times, during the Wrestlemania 25 match, I thought HBK might end the streak. It was epic and the best match in WWE history in my opinion. Then HBK returns at Summerslam to reform D-Generation X. DX has a solid feud with Legacy then goes on to defeat Jerishow for the tag titles. At the Slammys HBK called Taker out on a rematch. SHawn Michaels kept bringing it up and Taker kept rejecting. SHawn Michaels didn't win the Rumble so it got at it much worse. SHawn came up in the EC match from under the ring and super kicked Taker, costing him the match. Undertaker finally agreed as long as HBK would put up his career. SHawn accepted and it was an unpredictable match because noone knew he was retiring for good, unlike Flair and Michaels from WM24. We all knew Flair was retiring that night. The rematch didn't live up to there match the year before but it had a better build up and a solid match in the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back