The greatest Wrestlemania since 17?

Paralyzer Z

Fuck honor
All right so at this point I have compared almost all of the Wrestlemania events that I have watched with these WM(insert #) vs WM(insert #)threads. We all know that Wrestlemania 17 is regarded as the best WM of all time. Nothing before or after can compare to it. So in order to cap of the series I am going to post 2 threads (the other one later) about which WM was better that took place before and after WM 17. This one is about which one was the best post-WM 17. These include-
  • Wrestlemania 18 (Toronto Skydome),
    Wrestlemania 19(Safeco field),
    Wrestlemania 20 (Madison Square Garden),
    Wrestlemania 21 (Staples Center),
    Wrestlemania 22 (All State Arena),
    Wrestlemania 23 (Ford Field),
    Wrestlemania 24 (Citrus Bowl),
    Wrestlemania 25 (Releint stadium),
    Wrestlemania 26 ( University of Phoenix stadium)
    Wrestlemania 27( Georgia Dome)

I am torn between Wrestlemania 24 and Wrestlemania 26. Both were excellent in my opinion but I have to chose 24 here. Do not call me biased due to this being in my hometown but I truly think this tops WM26. Both had their strange moments (Hart vs McMahon and Kane vs Chavo), their decent moments (Both WWE title matches), their awesome stages and fireworks, and their golden moments (HBK vs Flair and HBK vs Undertaker II). The deciding factor for me was the Edge/ Undertaker match which outclassed it's counterpart (Edge/Jericho) though only by a slim margin. I love both events and watch with joy but this and the huge difference in the qualities of the MITB matches separates them in terms of rankings.

Now we get to the juicy stuff. What is the worst Wrestlemania after WM17? Hard to chose because none of these are horrible in my opinion. Sadly I have to chose between 25 and 27. Drum roll....... my pick is Wrestlemania 27. I really hate to pick the most recent because it makes me look like a troll but it is the truth. Like I said none of these events were complete trash (we will see THAT later) but WM27 aside from Rhodes/Mysterio, and Undertaker/HHH was an underwhelming show from start to finish. The design for the set was awesome but the show itself fell flat. It was all flash and no substance as some would say. By the Way feel free to rank the WM in order of your preference or thoughts on quality.

Rankings

10. Wrestlemania 27
9. Wrestlemania 25
8. Wrestlemania 22
7. Wrestlemania 20
6. Wrestlemania 23
5. Wrestlemania 21
4. Wrestlemania 18
3. Wrestlemania 19
2.Wrestlemania 26
1. Wrestlemania 24

Which Wrestlemania after the legendary WM17 was the best of that set time period?

Which Wrestlemania was the worst after WM17. Why?

How would you rank these WM in order from least to greatest?

No doubt, WrestleMania 27 and 25 sucked big time. I'd give it to 21, first ever MITB featuring great mid-card talent, HBK vs. Angle (best match of the night) and Both mainevents were first-time evers !

Starting from the best:
WM 21
WM 20
WM 26
WM 23
WM 19
WM 22
WM 24
WM 27/WM 25 (both equally sucked for me!)

Which Wrestlemania after the legendary WM17 was the best of that set time period?

19. And I say 19 is better than 17 too.

26 because it only had one really good match in HBK/Taker. The rest was average or below average.

I love the OP's choice for Wrestlemania 24 as the best, because IMO, that is one of the most overlooked Wrestlemania's ever. I thought the show was very consistent unlike the majority of Wrestlemania's that followed 17. Edge/Taker and HBK/Flair are all-time classics, while JBL/Finlay was an extremely underrated match that shocked me at the time with how good it was. Big Show/Mayweather was also surprisingly good, for my money the best celebrity-involved matchup in Wrestlemania history, not counting the main event at the original Wrestlemania (Hogan/Mr. T vs. Piper/Orndorff). I also loved the setting of the event. Wrestlemania 24 is one of my favorite Wrestlemanias ever.

However, as much as I like it, I can't choose it as the best. It's my No. 2 choice, but the best clearly is Wrestlemania 19. A year or two ago, I ranked all of the Wrestlemanias up to that point, and I had 19 I believe at No. 2 only behind 17. Wrestlemania XIX has 3 matches that could be in the top 20 in Wrestlemania history. Those matches being HBK/Jericho, Angle/Lesnar, Rock/Austin III. Then there is Hogan/McMcmahon which for my money is arguably the best match of Vince's career and a potential top 30 WM match. The opening match was short but hot and got the crowd going (Matt Hardy/Rey Mysterio). The women's title match was one of the better ones at Wrestlemania. The fatal four way tag team match was good. And then there's Triple H/Booker T which was a really good match, just with a downer of an ending which kind of ruined it. Taker vs. Big Show/Albert is really the only dud on the card IMO. It also had a great setting as well. Wrestlemania XIX has gotta be the No. 1 pick.

As for the worst, I'm gonna have to agree with Wrestlemania 27 being the worst. Taker/HHH was really the only saving grace to the show, and the only classic moment. While Edge/Alberto Del Rio and Cody Rhodes/Rey Mysterio were good matches, I don't think those are gonna be remembered as all-time WM classics. That show is only gonna be remembered for the Taker/HHH match and the Rock being on the show. And when you compare to the rest of the WM's and their classic moments, 27 falls really short. Even 25 which was extremely lackluster, at least had one of the top 5 matches in WM history (HBK/Taker I). That match alone puts 25 ahead of 27. But I agree those are the worst two WM's of the modern era.

As for ranking them? Here goes from the worst to the best......

10. Wrestlemania 27 (2011)

Main Event: John Cena vs. The Miz
Best Match: The Undertaker vs. HHH

9. Wrestlemania 25 (2009)

Main Event: Triple H vs. Randy Orton
Best Match: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels I

8. Wrestlemania 23 (2007)

Main Event: John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels
Best Match: John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels

7. Wrestlemania X-8 (2002)

Main Event: Triple H vs. Chris Jericho
Best Match: The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan

6. Wrestlemania 26 (2010)

Main Event: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels II
Best Match: The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels II

5. Wrestlemania 22 (2006)

Main Event: John Cena vs. Triple H
Best Match: Mick Foley vs. Edge

4. Wrestlemania XX (2004)

Main Event: Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H
Best Match: Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H

3. Wrestlemania 21 (2005)

Main Event: Batista vs. Triple H
Best Match: Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle

2. Wrestlemania 24 (2008)

Main Event: The Undertaker vs. Edge
Best Match: Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair

1. Wrestlemania XIX (2003)

Main Event: Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle
Best Match: Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho

I'd say WrestleMania26. Great matches, great atmosphere. The only things about this Mania I would have changed was give more time to the Edge/Jericho and Mysterio/Punk matches, and I would have switched the order of the WWE and World title matches. WrestleMania 19 takes a VERY close second.

WrestleMania 27. Absolute garbage. Having Edge/Del Rio open the show was a huge insult to Edge, and further proof that winning the Royal Rumble means absolutely nothing anymore.

Worst: WrestleMania 27
WrestleMania 25
WrestleMania 22
WrestleMania 23
WrestleMania 21
WrestleMania 18
WrestleMania 24
WrestleMania 20
WrestleMania 19
Best: WrestleMania 26

Best Wrestlemania since 17 was 19. Second greatest card for a Wrestlemania that actually lived up to the hype.

Worst Mania since 17 was 27. Absolute clusterfuck. Made Mania seem unimportant with so many mistakes in the booking and last minute changes.

Best Manias since 17, from BEST to WORST are as follows.....

(19, 21, 24, 22, 26, 18, 23, 20, 25, 27) IMO.

I'm actually a huge fan of WrestleManias 18-21 and think they were a lot better than 22-27 but I do think 23 is very underrated. I think 23 had the best combination of world title matches (besides WM 20's combo) and Stone Cold Steve Austin was on the card in a match that got a lot of publicity. My list goes like this:

10. WrestleMania 22
9. WrestleMania 27
8. WrestleMania 26
7. WrestleMania 25
6. WrestleMania 24
5. WrestleMania 23
4. WrestleMania 20
3. WrestleMania 18
2. WrestleMania 19
1. WrestleMania 21

19. And I say 19 is better than 17 too.

I agree. WM19 was the greatest WrestleMania of all. I've said this many times so I'll try to be brief. In addition to action and storylines I think atmosphere is a key part of mania. I felt the atmosphere in Safeco Field was incredible. Everything from the stage to the entrances to the pyro made WWE seem larger than life. I felt like I was watching the most important event in the world.

Now for as much as I appreciate atmosphere it isn't enough if the action doesn't deliver. The action more than delivered at WM19. The first four matches were pretty ordianry but not bad by any means. The last five matches of the show were all great and were all meaningful in their own unique way. You can't find a better three hours of wrestling than the last five matches of WM19. The only thing that would have made it better is if Taker had a more meaningful match. Even so WM19 was the best of all with WM17 coming in at a close second.

I am going to say Wrestlemania X8. I will probably be the only one that says Wrestlemania X8. The strength of the card was weak, but that doesn't matter to me. When I think of Wrestlemania in it's entirety, there are five matches over the last 27 years that come to mind quicker than all others. Hogan vs. Andre and Savage vs. Steamboat from Wrestlemania III, HBK vs. Flair at Wrestlemania 24, HBK retiring vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania 26, and Hogan/Rock from Wrestlemania X8. It is that match that made me choose Wrestlemania X8, even over 19, which top to bottom, had a much stronger card overall. What is "Greatest" is largely a matter of opinion, and what set of parameters you choose to give to that opinion.

For me, the return of Hulk Hogan to Wrestlemania, the chants from the crowd turning him instantly from heel to mega-face and the Rock from mega-face to heel, and the raw emotion of it all are by far the biggest, most emotional Wrestlemania moments I have had since probably Savage winning the title at IV. There have been very few "Wrestlemania moments" that have actually moved me emotionally, and I choose to pick the positive memories over the sad ones...so I will take Wrestlemania X8, and the outpouring of love for Hulk Hogan over everything else.

The best Wrestlemania since Wrestlemania 17 in my opinion was probably Wrestlemania 18 because it had great matches like Rock/Hogan and Jericho/Trips. That show kept the momentum from Wrestlemania 17 going in full swing. Wrestlemania 26 was also amazing and had a fantastic card other than the divas match. The WORST since Wrestlemania 17 was Wrestlemania 27 and it's not even close. That show failed on many levels and is in the bottom tier losing only to Wrestlemania 9 and Wrestlemania 11 for the worst Wrestlemania's. It's probably the only Wrestlemania that I felt was a waste of money. I like every Wrestlemania after 17 other than 27, and even it has its moments (Taker VS Trips) so they have all been pretty good.

RANKINGS (Wrestlemania 18 through 27)
10. Wrestlemania 27
9. Wrestlemania 20
8. Wrestlemania 24
7. Wrestlemania 25
6. Wrestlemania 22
5. Wrestlemania 19
4. Wrestlemania 23
3. Wrestlemania 21
2. Wrestlemania 26
1. Wrestlemania 18

Users who are viewing this thread