• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is the best mid card fued ever?

I'm going with a feud from 1991 that led up to one of the best IC matches I've ever seen and that was Brett Hart vs Mr. Perfect. They had a wrestling match and I mean wrestling the match was textbook and went for 20+ minutes and was due to such a good feud. Both guys are cocky as hell and they could both back it up.

This is such an amazing thread, with endless possibilities, it's so hard to just rest on one feud.

For beginners, I'm just going to address one solid mid-card feud, from every Company out of the original three that I was used to. (W.W.F, W.C.W & E.C.W)

W.C.W.: Chris Benoit v. Booker T:
Not only was this feud one of the more heated and talked about feuds, it was a series of matches (literally) that reformed and remade W.C.W from the middle, up. This feud made the Television Championship worth being mentioned.. long before the days of Hacksaw Jim Duggan, trash-digging for Gold.. this feud was what captured my true, pure love of W.C.W (even though I'd been watching for years before this)

Benoit & Booker T had a classic Best of Seven Series, that ironically went to an Eighth match due to the Seventh being thrown out. When you think of either man, this feud, and namely this series strongly comes to everyone's minds. It's hard to dispute this as being anything other than a very solid, pure mid-card classic.

W.W.F: Bret 'Hitman' Hart v. Jerry 'King' Lawler:
While it wasn't one of the more technically sound feuds, nor was it honestly that "great" because every match between them seemed to be so much of the same thing, it seemed to blur all together.. the fact is, this is without question to me.. the biggest, mid-card feud, of all-time for the W.W.F.

It's a feud that spanned over years. Not weeks, not months, not even a single year.. but YEARS. Yes, plural. This feud didn't just help both men to better themselves, it introduced several others to Professional Wrestling, and helped everyone who came in contact with the feuding individuals. Lawler and Hart was amazing to me, because of how it never got old..

E.C.W: Justin Credible v. Jerry Lynn:
When you think of mid-card feuds, E.C.W isn't truly the best place to try and start. Mainly because their mid-card division and Main Event division kept fricken blending so much that it was hard to keep track.

I only picked this feud, because it was one of the first I remember from when I started definately watching E.C.W. I would've picked Tommy Dreamer against Raven, but didn't know if but Raven was a Main Eventer during that time. Or even Rob Van Dam against Jerry Lynn, but I knew Rob Van Dam was considered a Main Eventer then.

Lynn had always been considered a mid-carder, through ranks, until 2000. Meanwhile, Credible wasn't considered a Main Eventer until he defeated Sabu in 1999 - after his feud with Lynn, over that Summer.

Ending Note: I'm sure I'll think up more feuds that amazed me. I know for a fact, feuds I thought about putting were; (W.W.F) Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho, (W.C.W) Rey Mysterio/Billy Kidman, (E.C.W) Kid Kash/E.Z. Money.

Rick Rude vs Sting 1991/92

Rude joined WCW at Halloween Havoc and quickly beat Sting for the US title... I remember Sting's knee being smashed Nancy Kerrigan style and him coming from the Ambulance to defend the belt, of course losing it. Their rematches were off the chain as I remember. Those two could put on a classic match anytime...

Jericho v Christian

This feud went for a year, like the HBK one and was great fun... Jericho fell for Trish, Trish "cheated" on him with Christian, turning at Wrestlemania... They must have wrestled each other 5 or 6 times on PPV that year and it never got old...

but the best in my eyes was Marty Jannetty v Shawn Michaels...the set up was perhaps the best turn ever... Marty going through the Barber's Shop window is a turning point for WWE as a whole and by 1993, Shawn was taking off as a mid carder and IC Champ... Marty showed up in Shawn's mirror, literally and they blew the roof off at the Rumble in Shawns first "great" match since his turn, weeks later Marty was the IC champion, only to be cheated out of it by the debuting Diesel...

This feud had everything, a shocking beginning, a measure of revenge and then a shocking twist in the tale... and the IC title came out looking like the major title of the time... not the World one.

Agree 100% that Benoit and Booker T had one of the most memorable mid-card feuds in my mind.

That series they had i think for the T.v Title,the best of 5 series was one of the best things going on on Monday Nitro.

Dreamer and Raven's may or may not be considered a mid-card feud but if so its also a great one.I don't think either held a major title during their feud and ironically enough Raven's last match in WWE years later would be a loser leaves wwe match against Dreamer where Dreamer won.Good feud that lasted years.

These two came to mind when i read this topic.

In my mind there are a couple of feuds that I thought were great.

My favorite is razor ramon vs shawn michaels. It was a great feud, with shawn having to leave, and them crowning razor the IC champion. Then Shawn coming back with his belt that lead to arguably one of, if not the greatest ladder matches off all time. Then having a great rematch at summerslam.

2. Ricky The Dragon vs The Macho Man. It was a great feud, with Randy taking out Steamboat. Then The Dragon climbing back to win the IC from Savage at Wrestlemania, in what many say is the greatest match in wrestlemania history.

Then there was one other Feud that I really like that was great in my mind. Now it's now where on the level of the two prior feuds I mentioned, but one I enjoyed none the less. That's Randy Orton vs Edge over IC title. This was a great feud that really started bringing these two into there own as singles wrestlers. I know that Randy was with Evolution, and Edge had already made a splash, but to me this was feud that got these guys roling to where they are today. You had Orton that was long reign as champ, and Edge that was coming back from his broken neck. It awesome to see these to stars of the future shine.

How about Jake the Snake and Ravishing Rick Rude. I believe Rude tried to give Jake's wife a kiss or something and Jake got pissed. Then Rude started wearing perhaps the best tights ever, with Jake's wife's face on them. Two great workers, good heat, top notch midcard feud from the late 80s.

I was going to mention this feud!!

This feud was YEARS ahead of its time!! I remember watching it air on a Saturday morning. Of course, I was a young kid and totally marked out. I can remember it like it was yesterday. Rick Rude wanted this brunette from the front row to come in the ring and kiss him. She refused. He asked why. She said she was here to see her husband. Rude asked, "Who's you husband, this fat slob" referring to the man sitting next to her. Then, the brunette, with her arms crossed said, "Jake....Jake the Snake." Rude grabbed her, then out came Jake!!! Of course, his music DID NOT hit, which made it seemed NOT PLANNED!!! This feud lasted for quite a while, but it didn't feel dragged out. The WWF did a great job taking their time with it, and slowly building the tension between Rude and Jake. They faced each other at numerous PPV's. It was GREAT!!!

Not only did it seem like a REAL feud, but it was well played out of a LONG period of time. This was at a time when feuds were like, "I'm Tug Boat and I don't like you because you're Sgt. Slaughter, and you're a land dweller!" or "I'm IRS and you didn't pay your taxes on your pet bird, Koko B Ware!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back