What is next for the IC belt?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Unfortunately, the Intercontinental Championship is currently in even worse shape than the United States championship. I felt Ziggler's reign has mostly sucked for a handful of reasons. The whole 'Ziggler Vs Miz' fiasco devalued the belts because they changed hands so often, but even worse, Ziggler is still being used as a jobber. Even though he's still a champ, he's been losing cleanly to Orton, Rusev and Rollins in underhyped (but mostly excellent) matches...yet none of those wins lead to any title shots, because WWE is telling us that the IC belt is for midcarders. I know that's the case, but I don't think the company should be so honest about that.

Ziggler's currently entering a feud with Cesaro, but is that any better? Cesaro has been on a losing streak, having twice attempted and failed to take the U.S belt from Sheamus. If Ziggler wins, it means nothing because Cesaro has been booked as a loser. If Cesaro wins, then the WWE is now telling us that the U.S Belt> IC Belt.

So...what can they do? Should Ziggler keep it? Will Cesaro make a good IC champ? There were rumors that Bray might feud with Ziggler for his gold, but that would not be good for his career. Bray was previously competing for the WHC and was last seen being dominated by the former WHC. Him going for the IC Belt is akin to him admitting he isn't good enough to compete with guys like Cena or Lesnar.

Whereas I think Rusev going after the U.S Belt would work on many levels, I don't know what can be done with the IC Belt. I wouldn't be against someone like Bo Dallas taking it from Ziggler.

Vince's hatred of Dolph Ziggler will prevent Ziggler from ever being the top guy in the company he should be. He's this generation's Shawn Michaels, and is being treated as a Marty Jannetty instead. Ziggler consistently puts on the best match every night and gets the biggest reactions, but Vince doesn't care, because he sees Ziggler as a life-long nobody. Hopefully they'll at least allow Ziggler a lengthy reign this time. My hope is that he hold on to the title until at least WrestleMania, so that Ziggler will at least be given the honor of defending a championship at the biggest show of the year.

I think Ziggler will drop the title before too long. As has already been pointed out, Ziggler has lost a lot since becoming champion and that's never a good sign for someone to have a long run. He played hot potato with The Miz for the strap and since then, he's lost more non-title matches than he's won. Given that Cesaro scored a clean, decisive win over Ziggler this past Monday, he'll have a shot at the title at some point in the near future. Since Hell in a Cell is this Sunday, I'm thinking it'll happen there and the announcement will be officially made this week on SmackDown!.

If that match does go down at HIAC, I think Ziggler drops the title to Cesaro. As long as WWE is finished playing hot potato with the strap and doesn't use Cesaro as fodder for wrestlers higher up on the card, it's probably the best option at this point. If they're gonna do what they've been doing, then it wouldn't really matter if Cesaro won or Ziggler retained.

As sad as it make me to say it, the IC Championship is very dull and doesn't appear to have a bright future anytime soon. Ziggler, to me, just doesn't do this belt justice. His character is so "vanilla" and one dimensional and I find no reason to be excited to see the champ. I believe Cesaro will take the belt at HIAC but unfortunately I don't think he will be able to elevate the importance of this championship any more than Ziggler could. Cesaro is fantastic in the ring but his start-stop pushes and lack of character development is starting to make people lose confidence in him being any more than a mid-card talent. I mean did you notice how flat the crowd was for the Ziggler/Cesaro match on Raw? The IC Championship is not anywhere near as important as it was in the 90's. I have really felt for the longest time that in order for this belt to be elevated to what it once was is for the top tier talents to have their eyes on the prize. Randy Orton beat Ziggler a couple weeks ag, cleanly, in a fantastic match. Did Orton become #1 contender? Nope! Why? Is he too good for this belt? It is a championship, how can one be too good for a championship? Imagine how much more important this belt would feel for some one of Ortons caliber to hold this title for at least a brief run. We're talking instant credibility for the man to take it off of him, thus elevating that belt to the level it once was.

If they actually have Ziggler drop the title to Cesaro maby there's hope. Right now the state of the IC championship is quite sad, since the midcard roster is quite good, and if given a bit of space and good storylines it could easily shine. (Miz Ziggler was actually decent, then it just stopped with no real resolution)

Also just put Zack Ryder back into the midcard title picture instead of having him jobbing around, he was a decent wrestler and had a good comedy character.

Him going for the IC Belt is akin to him admitting he isn't good enough to compete with guys like Cena or Lesnar.

Pop quiz: How is Big Show like AJ Lee?

Answer: Both have been champions but are unable to wear the title belts around their waists when walking to the ring.....the belt is too big for her, too small for him.

Still, they were the champions, because like pro boxing, pro wrestling long ago learned that fans like championship matches. WWE has been all over the place through the years with the concept of titles, shrinking the number of championships available to be won.....then reinstating them.

Okay, so the IC title has been openly designated a belt for midcarders. Personally, I have no problem with this......and yes, being designated a competitor for this belt does in fact declare that you're not in the league of Cena and Lesnar.

Honestly, I had forgotten Dolph Ziggler was the current IC champ, because it doesn't particularly matter to me. I don't think Vince McMahon hates Dolph, not after the way he spent several years trying like mad to put Dolph over as a main event contender. If Vince wants to keep Dolph down now, it's only because the guy proved he's not as good as management hoped he'd be. No crime there, and I'm happy they finally came to that realization instead of continuing to shove Dolph down our throats as they had been.

What's next for the IC belt? More of the same......it's a midcard title and competitors can win and lose without suffering the impact a main event performer does when losing.

Perfect for Dolph, perfect for Cesaro...... perfect for a lot of folks, as long as we accept the notion that there's nothing wrong with being a midcarder.

It is really sad to see the current state of the IC belt. The IC title was a prestigous belt between 1987 and 1998. It has been trashed since. Now, with the WWE title not being defended week in and week out; it could become an important title again if treated so. It would be easier to do it now whilst Lesnar is off building the prestige of the WWE world title.

They could create a tournament; ala king of the ring; but double it in size and have some main players take part in the tournament. Have Cena come down on Raw and dig at Lesnar (keeping their feud simmering under) saying "Now that lesnar has taken his belt and is hiding at home; it is time for me to focus on holding the top championship in this organisation; to prove I am the best; and so I am entering in to this tournament. Lesnar; when you come back; I will end you". But then have him get through to the final 8, and have Lesnar distract him; and then some up and comer hit their finisher on Cena and take the clean (ish) pin for the win. Thus building the tournament and building the winner. THUS building the IC title prestige.

It is sad when you think of past IC title holders; The Honky Tonk Man, Ricky Steamboat, Randy Savage, Bret Hart, Mr Perfect, Razor Ramon, Shawn Michaels, HHH, Steve Austin, Rock, Greg Valentine, Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Kerry Von Erich, Bulldog, Owen Hart. Chris Jericho, Edge, Eddie G, RVD, Benoit, Christian, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio and CM Punk.

All of them had decent IC title runs that helped them reach the next level. There are many who failed to make an impact with the IC title - flair (but he was close to retirement then), Carlito, Shelton Benjamin (biggest shame ever), John Morrison, Kofi, Dean Douglas etc, but they were holding the belt when WWE were not showing much enthusiasm or commitment to it. If they treated the belt with respect; the holder would be respected. Its the stupid booking.

What's next for the IC belt? More of the same......it's a midcard title and competitors can win and lose without suffering the impact a main event performer does when losing.

Perfect for Dolph, perfect for Cesaro...... perfect for a lot of folks, as long as we accept the notion that there's nothing wrong with being a midcarder.

This ^^^.

Where did we get this notion that just because this belt changes hands somehow the person holding it sucks, or the title itself sucks. Not everyone can be a main event talent, and if you look at the roster, most of the people on it fall into the midcard territory.

I expect it to change hands a lot more frequently than the WWE title, and there is nothing wrong with that because the IC belt doesn't really mean anything. If it was used as a stepping stone to the championship title, then different story but it isn't. So it will continue to be passed around, simply because of the fact you have more wrestlers, and more wrestlers means shorter title reigns.

If it was used as a stepping stone to the championship title, then different story but it isn't.

And why shouldn't it be? It used to be back in the 90's, at least for the most part. Think of guys like HBK, Bret Hart, Diesel, Steve Austin, etc. Odds are Barrett probably would've made it to the top by now if he hadn't been injured again. It's just sad now. This is the perfect time to bring prestige back to the IC title because we aren't going to see the WWE champ any time soon.

Unfortunately, the Intercontinental Championship is currently in even worse shape than the United States championship. I felt Ziggler's reign has mostly sucked for a handful of reasons. The whole 'Ziggler Vs Miz' fiasco devalued the belts because they changed hands so often, but even worse, Ziggler is still being used as a jobber. Even though he's still a champ, he's been losing cleanly to Orton, Rusev and Rollins in underhyped (but mostly excellent) matches...yet none of those wins lead to any title shots, because WWE is telling us that the IC belt is for midcarders. I know that's the case, but I don't think the company should be so honest about that.

Ziggler's currently entering a feud with Cesaro, but is that any better? Cesaro has been on a losing streak, having twice attempted and failed to take the U.S belt from Sheamus. If Ziggler wins, it means nothing because Cesaro has been booked as a loser. If Cesaro wins, then the WWE is now telling us that the U.S Belt> IC Belt.

So...what can they do? Should Ziggler keep it? Will Cesaro make a good IC champ? There were rumors that Bray might feud with Ziggler for his gold, but that would not be good for his career. Bray was previously competing for the WHC and was last seen being dominated by the former WHC. Him going for the IC Belt is akin to him admitting he isn't good enough to compete with guys like Cena or Lesnar.

Whereas I think Rusev going after the U.S Belt would work on many levels, I don't know what can be done with the IC Belt. I wouldn't be against someone like Bo Dallas taking it from Ziggler.

One thing I don't get is the notion that Dolph Ziggler shouldn't have lost to Orton, Rollins and even Rusev.(Not pointing a finger at you specifically, OP, but I have seen it mentioned quite a bit over the internet)

Both Seth Rollins and Randy Orton are in the Main Event, whilst Dolph is in the midcard. No reason for them to be placed as equals at all in such a case.
As for Rusev, he is seemingly being pushed very hard as well, he just went over Mark Henry who is also closer to the Main Event than a Dolph Ziggler, and is against Big Show who is also higher than Dolph as well. Thus, Rusev going over Dolph is also logical booking as well given where he is seemingly headed.

The problem I have most with both MidCard titles, is that they aren't featured enough that fans would take notice of them as being important. The feuds are usually no.1 contender match/guy beats champ and becomes no.1 contender...rinse, repeat.
There is nothing really developed at all in any of the feuds to really put the belts under any focus at all.
Indeed, sometimes the simple,'Who's the Better man?' can work, but not when done every single time, which is essentially how Every Single midcard feud I have watched thus far has been done.

Mixing up both the IC and US title scenes(Tournaments, Proper Storyline feud, etc. ) every now and then and making it seem as though there is an actual line of Superstars who Want the titles would go a long way in reviving their importance....

HOWEVER:
We just spent a month of RAW seeing the Main Eventers fight out who would fight Mr.MitB, but wait....they weren't in the least interested in the MitB Briefcase at all, far less having Anyone else wanting to be the next No.1 Contender for the WWE Heavyweight title.

Actually, last RAW, we found out that 2 guys will fight for the right to be no.1 Contender because said Mr.MitB had a great 'idea'( :wtf: ) ......
:lmao: :shrug: :shrug:

And then we sit here wondering "What's next for the IC belt?" :banghead:

And why shouldn't it be? It used to be back in the 90's, at least for the most part. Think of guys like HBK, Bret Hart, Diesel, Steve Austin, etc. Odds are Barrett probably would've made it to the top by now if he hadn't been injured again. It's just sad now. This is the perfect time to bring prestige back to the IC title because we aren't going to see the WWE champ any time soon.

And I agree with you, but it seems the WWE doesn't. Most of the guys who will hold the IC title won't get a main event run, and if they do it will be short lived. There is nothing wrong with having a title for the mid carders, it gives them something to work towards.

You will never see Cena, Orton, Reigns, Ambrose and Rollins to name a few feuding for it anytime soon. They're according to the WWE above it. Now that's not to say it can't be used as a step up, but Ziggler, Miz, Sheamus I don't think will get another title run. Cesaro and Barrett on the other hand could. It will depend on the wrestler and the feud they put them in.

There is a lot of talk of Rusev winning the US title and he can use it to slag off the USA. To me that's when a title gets devalued the most, when it becomes a prop and nothing more. He'll never be a main event star, and will always be stuck in the mid card.

One thing I don't get is the notion that Dolph Ziggler shouldn't have lost to Orton, Rollins and even Rusev.(Not pointing a finger at you specifically, OP, but I have seen it mentioned quite a bit over the internet)

Both Seth Rollins and Randy Orton are in the Main Event, whilst Dolph is in the midcard. No reason for them to be placed as equals at all in such a case.
As for Rusev, he is seemingly being pushed very hard as well, he just went over Mark Henry who is also closer to the Main Event than a Dolph Ziggler, and is against Big Show who is also higher than Dolph as well. Thus, Rusev going over Dolph is also logical booking as well given where he is seemingly headed.:

I actually agree with this. Ziggler SHOULD be losing to those guys and I don't think that's bad for his career. I just don't feel it was wise to have him lose that many times within a month.

To be fair it's likely the belt is in a bit of a holding pattern. They had plans for it when Barrett had it and his push was working...so I can see him being the one to end Ziggler's reign. While it can't happen at Mania cos of tour commitments, Jericho v Barrett over the IC is a strong feud WWE can go with in the coming months and could begin on the European tour... If Jericho is going for his 10th IC title against his former protege, even more interesting...and if they do a double turn...even more so.

I hope that after Rusev gets his US title run that they will just unify the US & IC titles permanently and get rid of the US title, or they'll come up with a new title. It seems that creative doesn't care about the mid card titles much anyway. It would be cool if after they unified the two that they bring back the cruiserweight title.

IMO, Ziggler is stale as a face. I'd love to see him and Cesaro do a double turn and feud through the end of the year.

I expect Ziggler to retain his title. I think Cesaro winning the title would be too soon since Ziggler recently won back the IC title.

The main event scene is crowded but these two guys could make the most of the IC title.

I think that after HIAC Cesaro walks out with the title feuds with Ziggler chasing him to regain. They have a match at Survivor Series. Cesaro retains but Ziggler chases for more until BNB makes his return as a FACE and begins to feud with Cesaro for the IC title (would love to see them in a TABLE match.

Sandow should win it!! That's how you rejuvenate your title. . Give the fans what they want, turn sandow against Miz. Sandow causes Miz to lose the us championship. Then wins the title on raw when miz thinks he's gonna get the i.c. shot. It wouldn't change the title prestige, but it moves story lines. The only way you make the title seem cool again.. you need to either a. Put the title on a new up and comer that we haven't seen much of like Steen Zain Neville Kenta Baylor. OR b. Let the IC champ win the World Title like many greats have in the past. That's how you make it cool again. But not over night on both options. If mizdow beats zigzag and retains and even faces miz it would be a perfect time to fully turn sandow face. I can see it now. . Miz causes sandow to lose to STEEN. Steen walks out with a mic talking trash doing what he does best.. and wins. So what next.. Sandow comes out on every miz match and imitates him still, but now it's not ok with miz. which would be great bc, what's miz gonna do? take his eye off his opponent? Option b. Reigns, Bray or Ziggler yes Ziggler, beat Brock for the title at wrestlemania32 or 33 that would make the title seen cool

I disagree with the guy above me, here is how you make the belt "cool" again

A. Give it to a main event caliber guy...wait a second, Ziggler is a former world champion, has is Sheamus and Miz...well I'll be damned
B. Have interesting feuds around it...yup, dropped the ball here
C. Make people want it...act like it proves their greatness...again, dropped
D. Meaningful title reigns, either in terms of length, good swaps etc...they dropped it again
E. Treat it like a prize, not a prop! If you want the fans to respect the belt, act like it's an accomplishment.
F. Don't give it to guys just to shove them to jobberville(Santino, Kofi, Big E, etc)

The IC championship should be considered an accomplishment, when a guy comes out mention that he's a former IC champ! They always ignore it unless they're the current champ, former champ or Chris Jericho being as he's held it the most times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back