What If This Whole Thing With Shane McMahon Is A Work?

CM Steel

A REAL American
A few short years ago Shane McMahon gave his notice that he was indeed leaving the WWE. And now works outside of the WWE for the first time in China. Leaving the future of the WWE in the hands of his sister Stephanie McMahon-Levesque as future WWE chairman (or woman). But with two years left on the current WWE chairman Vince McMahon's contract as WWE CEO. Could we see Shane McMahon in the WWE again?

What if when it is time for Vince McMahon to retire from his seat as WWE chairman, with everyone expecting the torch to be passed to Stephanie. All of a sudden, Shane McMahon comes out of nowhere to be named the new chairman of the WWE by his father Vince? The Shane McMahon leaving the WWE thing could catch the WWE universe off-guard with Shane returning home to the WWE in somewhat of a work. Kinda like the Daniel Bryan "release" angle two years ago!

It's Shane's birthright to be the chairman of the WWE, with his sister & brother-in-law working not too far from Shane in not too smaller positions/roles. Because it's hard to picture anyone else as the chairman of the WWE who isn't a McMahon by blood (Triple H).

You do know that Vince is not only the WWE chairman, he is STILL the owner of the company....... No matter what happens on TV, Vince is still running things and is still in charge. Yes, WWE is a publicly traded company, but, Vince still, and always will, control AT LEAST 51% of that company!
With that said, sorry, but why would he have "a contract" as the CEO when he is the owner? The contract he has is for the Mr. McMahon character.

The difference between D-Bryan and Shane McMahon is that D-Bryan being released was just a story line... nothing else. Shane leaving the WWE actually happened and since he left he's actually become very successful.

There's probably an open door for him to return if he wants to but I think that leaving the family business was good for him and the fact that he is the CEO of a company in China and also on the Board of Directors of another company shows that he doesn't need the WWE any more.

Vince will be owner and sole decision maker until the day he dies. When that day does come, Stephanie and Hunter will be running the company, Linda will then be the 51% stakeholder, owner of the company. There would always be a role in the company for Shae if chose to return to the family business, but NO, HE WILL NOT BE taking over the running of the business.

The difference between D-Bryan and Shane McMahon is that D-Bryan being released was just a story line... nothing else. Shane leaving the WWE actually happened and since he left he's actually become very successful.

Last I checked, Daniel Bryan did actually get released. It was just covered for with a storyline.

I can't see Shane coming back anytime soon. He's off enjoying success doing his own thing. Maybe some years down the line when Old man McMahon kicks the bucket, Shane will come back and take over, but even then I'd say it would be unlikely.

You're confusing Kayfabe with real life.

Shane is a real person, he's not a character, he's pursuing his life and moved on from his father's company.

This is not a work, it's real life, you're looking way too deeply into this. One does not simply take 2 years out of his life to mess with professional wrasslin'

Vince owns over half the company's stock. stockholders chose the board of directors, and he chose himself as the chairman of the board. The board chooses the executives, he (as the chairman) chose himself as the CEO. It's a publicly traded company pretty much only in name. It's still ran very much like a private company. It's not like WWE is or ever will be a hot stock. It's just publicly traded to give Vince more financial security and because it's a freakin massive company. When Vince will likely never give up his share of stock, so nothing will happen unless he wants it to. When he dies, he likely has a will written up of where all his assets (stock) will go. Shane will probably get a large portion of the stock. However, all the stuff about Shane leaving isn't a work. Believe it or not you can actually look up the real financial figures and majority holders etc of WWE. Awesome huh.

Last I checked, Daniel Bryan did actually get released. It was just covered for with a storyline.

I can't see Shane coming back anytime soon. He's off enjoying success doing his own thing. Maybe some years down the line when Old man McMahon kicks the bucket, Shane will come back and take over, but even then I'd say it would be unlikely.
He actually was released, doesn't mean it still wasn't a work. How often is a guy fired for an act then almost immediately rehired? Vince knows DB's market and wanted to get under their skins because he knows they read the dirtsheets. Either that or it as some sort of ploy to keep their good name with the stockholders. No matter how you look at it though, Vince likely never went "you're fired, and I hope you never come back". He probably either said "I have a great idea to get you more over..." or "well shit we shouldn't have had you do that, here's a bonus for your time off, we're going to 'fire' you then rehire you in a few months".

Shane took his stock options so he left for real... BUT that doesn't mean he wouldn't return later. He's currently part of one of the major Talent Agencies in the world, so he is a very handy contact for WWE and celebs/sportsmen. We all know that Trips/Steph will run the wrestling side of the business, however I could see Shane taking Linda's role and running the "business" end once Vince has gone. Shane could get better experience of running companies outside the WWE as no one but Vince is gonna run it till he is dead...

Ok, I understand people that like Shane McMahon. He's entertaining, charismatic, and actually puts on damn entertaining matches. But really, there is no conspiracy or storyline about his departure. He wanted to try and be successful on his own, so he left. If he ever decides that he wants to come back, then I'm pretty sure that it's at least a shot in the dark at happening. But no, its not a work or a storyline, it's a man wanting to make a name for himself instead of living off one.

Professional wrestling is not the world. There are a lot of other ventures that you can be successful in- and, get ready to change your shorts- you can even do better for yourself in several arenas besides professional wrestling. Anyone who has ever worked for their father can or will be able to attest that it, well, sucks.

Vince's contract with the WWE expires in two years, that is correct. Much like the DDT thing, however, you're talking about shit you just don't understand. Vince McMahon effectively signs his own contract. The WWE Board of Directors approves the contract, but Vince McMahon (and family owned stock) controls 97% of the voting rights in the WWE. What this means is that any member of the Board of Directors who voted against offering Vince McMahon a contract would find himself voted out of his seat at the next shareholders meeting.

We are also talking about a company that has seemingly completely forgotten how to build an angle. Their idea of suspense these days is to have The Rock show up for a pay-per-view to do a few catch moves. Are you seriously suggesting that the WWE has plotted out an entirely new career for Shane McMahon, telling him to go out, become CEO of an international broadband company (YOU On Demand), find a seat on the board of ISM, so that he could come back by surprise on RAW one night and pop the ratings by a half-point???? Or did you just assume that when Shane McMahon left the WWE, he sat around his house counting his money and moodily kissing framed pictures of him falling off of ladders at Madison Square Garden?

Professional wrestling is not the world. There are a lot of other ventures that you can be successful in- and, get ready to change your shorts- you can even do better for yourself in several arenas besides professional wrestling. Anyone who has ever worked for their father can or will be able to attest that it, well, sucks.

Vince's contract with the WWE expires in two years, that is correct. Much like the DDT thing, however, you're talking about shit you just don't understand. Vince McMahon effectively signs his own contract. The WWE Board of Directors approves the contract, but Vince McMahon (and family owned stock) controls 97% of the voting rights in the WWE. What this means is that any member of the Board of Directors who voted against offering Vince McMahon a contract would find himself voted out of his seat at the next shareholders meeting.

We are also talking about a company that has seemingly completely forgotten how to build an angle. Their idea of suspense these days is to have The Rock show up for a pay-per-view to do a few catch moves. Are you seriously suggesting that the WWE has plotted out an entirely new career for Shane McMahon, telling him to go out, become CEO of an international broadband company (YOU On Demand), find a seat on the board of ISM, so that he could come back by surprise on RAW one night and pop the ratings by a half-point???? Or did you just assume that when Shane McMahon left the WWE, he sat around his house counting his money and moodily kissing framed pictures of him falling off of ladders at Madison Square Garden?
Forgotten how to build an angle? Punk/Cena, Orton/Christian, Orton/Barrett, Jericho's return and angles, etc have all been pretty good, and that's just stop off the top of my head. Like my sig says, PLEASE, for the love of whatever higher power you believe in, stop with the hipster wrestling fan bullshit. The shows have been pretty good. It's not their fault that Rock doesn't have the balls to stay on TV for a year and instead decides to plug his pec dancing in his latest shit movie in his "look how awesome the rock is" video.

Rant and possible spam warning aside, you're right that it's a ridiculous idea to think Shane ventured into all of this just to sell an angle. These are real people, and actually really smart people. Vince is a marketing genius and with their money, Shane and Steph were pretty well educated and had some great hands on learning and mentors.

Forgotten how to build an angle? Punk/Cena, Orton/Christian, Orton/Barrett, Jericho's return and angles, etc have all been pretty good, and that's just stop off the top of my head. Like my sig says, PLEASE, for the love of whatever higher power you believe in, stop with the hipster wrestling fan bullshit. The shows have been pretty good. It's not their fault that Rock doesn't have the balls to stay on TV for a year and instead decides to plug his pec dancing in his latest shit movie in his "look how awesome the rock is" video.

Rant and possible spam warning aside, you're right that it's a ridiculous idea to think Shane ventured into all of this just to sell an angle. These are real people, and actually really smart people. Vince is a marketing genius and with their money, Shane and Steph were pretty well educated and had some great hands on learning and mentors.
Hipster used to mean something five years ago. Now it's a catch phrase to accuse anything you don't approve of of trying to be trendy. I'm just simply not entertained by anything I've seen recently. (Recent threads on this board would suggest that the last thing I am interested in is purposefully appealing to any group or niche interest.)

The ONLY example you listed that I would agree with would be Orton/Christian. The others were simply angles. They happened. They were unexciting. I'm not looking for artsy specifics in CM Punk's "Mr. Disestablismentarianism" character; I think he had an exciting shoot promo, and now walks around being Mister Angsty. THAT'S what's passing for good television. Why should I care if John Lauranitis is fired? The WWE is supposed to make me care. That is their job, to make people care about their product. Who'd even miss John Lauranitis three months from now? Somehow, there are people on this board with the bizarre idea that wrestling fans have a responsibility to like the product. What if I'm just simply not entertained by it? Maybe it's just not that good lately, which might have a little something to do with the perpetually sinking ratings.

He actually was released, doesn't mean it still wasn't a work. How often is a guy fired for an act then almost immediately rehired? Vince knows DB's market and wanted to get under their skins because he knows they read the dirtsheets. Either that or it as some sort of ploy to keep their good name with the stockholders. No matter how you look at it though, Vince likely never went "you're fired, and I hope you never come back". He probably either said "I have a great idea to get you more over..." or "well shit we shouldn't have had you do that, here's a bonus for your time off, we're going to 'fire' you then rehire you in a few months".

Implying He was released for the sole purpose of annoying, and/or shocking the IWC just makes you look silly. So very, very silly.

He was released because there was heat on the WWE for letting him choke Justin Roberts like a little bitch with his own tie. Or, if you want to listen to some of the more mentally challenged members of the IWC, for spitting on Cena. Not because Vince wanted to mess with a bunch of self involved geeks on the Internet who think that they are more important than other WWE fans.

I have no doubt that rehiring Daniel was always the plan, but that doesn't make it a work. Words like 'shoot' and 'work' get thrown around a lot here, but sometimes, shit just happens, and someone ends up getting canned.

From what I understand Shane is into the media aspect where-as Stephanie was always more into the storyline aspect. I think people are thinking Shane will be shafted once Stephanie takes over but I'd be winning to bet with all the legal eagles and bullshits WWE is 50-50 between Shane and Stephanie, but Stephanie taking the more vocal and image role with in the company.

It's always a possibility, but if he was ever to come back it won't be for a while. He is doing really well for himself with the companies he is currently involved in, and while we may see him make the odd appearance for the WWE over the next few years, such as a guest ref spot or something like that I can't see him coming back full-time unless he decides he misses the buzz.

Plus, Shane is getting older anyway so how much longer can he handle taking those massive bumps? Lets face it, as entertaining as he was in the ring, he was all about the massive dives off high off objects. Without that would you want to see him wrestle? I'm not sure I would.

I love the Shane O'Mac character, and would be really happy to see him back on the screen as a GM or something. Perhaps, when Vince dies the opportunity will be put to Shane and he will decide to come back to carry on his Dad's legacy, but I expect that Stephanie and Triple H will take over.

It's Shane's birthright to be the chairman of the WWE

The problem is that WWE is his father's dream, not necessarily Shane's. Imagine if your own father worked in his profession and decided on the day you were born that you would someday be working for him and then taking over later, not giving you a choice as to what you want to do with your life. How would you like it?

No, it's important not to confuse kayfabe with real life, as someone said earlier in this topic. I can see no reason for this to be a work; I think Shane McMahon wants to carve out his own path in life, just as the rest of us do. For all we know, Vince wasn't upset at all about Shane's leaving; perhaps he always gave his kids the option of choosing.

When the day arrives that Vince is truly ready to turn over the reins to his children (in other words, after he's dead), Shane might be lured back. Until then, he can't be blamed for not wanting to be a 40-year-old who works for his father.

Why does EVERYTHING always have to be a work?? Seriously?!? I just don't understand all of you people that constantly think REAL things can't happen behind the scenes in pro-wrestling sometimes. It's just mind-boggling...

It was publicized on every legitimate news ticker that Shane left the WWE to pursue new endeavors. He did not agree with Vince's way of doing things and didn't feel he could ever mold the company into what he wanted it to be and thought it should be. That's just fact.

As for him coming back, anything is possible. But are you all seriously willing to bank so much on his return? You guys act as if Shane would be a messiah of pro-wrestling if he were ever to return to the business. Did you ever stop to think that, if Shane makes such an impact on the business, that when he decided to leave, Vince and company would have tried harder to make him stay?

Open your minds to logic, people. The answers are right in front of you.

There's probably an open door for him to return if he wants to but I think that leaving the family business was good for him and the fact that he is the CEO of a company in China and also on the Board of Directors of another company shows that he doesn't need the WWE any more.

the Rock leaves to do movies and gets crap but Shane MCMAHON, heir to the throne of the WWE universe leaves the company to do something COMPLETELY different and nobody says anything...[sidenote]

Seriously though, Shane coming back would be AWESOME. I really enjoyed the Shane-O-Mac character. The power struggle between him and the Mcmahon-Levesques would be awesome. I'd also like to see the coast-to-coast one more time.

Why would Shane come back? He's making a crap load of money doing work with Video on Demand(or at least something like it) in China. He has millions of his own money invested in it. and apparently hes doing things in China other people were unable to get permission to do.

Need a source?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/06/shane-mcmahon-is-his-own-man.html

I saw Shane at one of the Golf Tournaments(possibly even a Major) last year also but i have no clue if he was just friends with the agent of the golfer or if he and the golf had some kind of relationship(friends/business relations). It would be cool to see him return one day but as long as hes doing successful things elsewhere i don't see a return likely any time soon outside of maybe a guest spot here or there.

This thread makes me sad.

Shane is now a success in his own right - if he wanted the WWE one day he most likely would have stayed. Even if he ever did come back in a corporate role I doubt he would be an on-screen personality

I doubt it's a work.

I think Shane realized it'd be a long time before Vince would completely walk away from the company and he could have full reign of it. Also, I think Steph's marrying HHH put Shane's succession has head of the company into doubt, at least in his mind.

I don't think Shane going to run two seperate comapnies is a work at all. I think VKM gave his full endorsement for him to prove how good of a businessman Shane can be and when VKM decides to relinquish major responsabilites Shane will be back just from a corporate standpoint.

To clarify VKM's role as Chairman is simply that he is under contract by the majority votes from the board of directors. In any public company the chairman's shares are only validated by the vote of confidence from the board!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back