What could have been of the Dibiase Dynasty?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Last fall on WWE TV we saw the union of the Rhodes dynasty with the Brotherhood & big papa WWE hall of famer "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes. With the Brotherhood tag team winning the WWE tag team title's. The Rhodes dynasty is legendary. What had me thinking of the rival Dibiase family. All three of the WWE hall of famer "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase's sons are/were involved in wrestling. Ted Dibiase Jr. was in the WWE for a few short years as a former WWE tag team champion with Cody Rhodes but retired to persue projects outside of wrestling.

Mike Dibiase the elders Dibiase brother was a top name in the indie scene before he started having personal problems outside the ring. And the youngest Dibiase brother Brett Dibiase was a young prospect in NXT before he got a really bad injury that put him out of action for a good while upon returning before taking a step back from wrestling all together. The WWE had plans for the Dibiase clan. They had Brett Dibiase in NXT and could have signed Mike Dibiasr at anytime. They were going to be the new legacy with the group having a spin-off of their dads gimmick. But it never happened.

Now, what could have been of the Dibiase Dynasty had that all happened?

It could have been really good with all three of them there together with Ted Sr. leading the way for a little while before letting Ted Jr. take the reigns. Ted Jr., in my opinion could have been the top guy in WWE for years and years had he caught the breaks he needed. I see him as one of WWE's biggest missed opportunities as he had the look, the talent, and the presence of someone who could carry then much like Cena. Unfortunately, things didn't go his way and they just didn't know what to do with him to get him on TV. If only they would have let him be himself instead trying to make him The Million Dollar Man character, he could have made it.

I had the honor of meeting Ted Jr, and talking to him several times on the phone because he had taken an interest in a friend of mine that was battling cancer. He is such a great guy, very down to earth, and would give you the shirt off his back. I definitely wish he had been given a better chance in WWE, and use do think had he stayed, there would have been an opening for him, probably with Cody again that could have seen them both break out as top stars if that storyline with The Authority had continued with them.

There are a lot of people who don't like Ted Sr. in the business and that I think played a lot of factor into what happened with Ted Jr. Vince was seen to give him every chance but something didn't catch and eventually Ted Jr himself decided it wasn't worth it. That's quite sad as he DID have the potential to be a top guy but it wasn't anything to do with the Million Dollar gimmick, that was fine and logical... just booked pretty badly.

The other 2 could easily have come in but again, enough people dislike Ted that perhaps once Mike started having "issues" the knives were out.

I'd have rather have seen the Fortunate Sons concept with Ted, The Rotundas, The Briscoes than just the DiBiase's as a unit. That had a lot of potential but I guess the Briscoes not signing/being homophobic jerks was a big stumbling block.

Ted Sr. is, in my opinion, one of the most overrated wrestlers in the history of the business. Heel gimmick aside, there never was anything exciting/interesting about his matches to me. And from what I've seen from his sons' abilities, they're not too far behind. Ted Jr. had a good physique, but again, he never showed me anything between the ropes. So to answer the question, none of them showed me anything that would make me think they would have been a big deal, but dad wins by default due to his gimmick.

Hmmm that sir is based on what?

Ted Sr. was a top 5 in the world wrestler for over 15 years. 10 of those BEFORE the he ever met Virgil or started wearing trunks with Dollar symbols on them. he was the first NA Champion (the precursor to the IC) for a reason, he was considered a top worker and someone who would replace Backlund and Bruno for the WWWF.

He could work well as a face or heel and it was his later work for Bill Watts that saw him stand out... there was no better bad guy when he left for the WWF and while his booking was poor at times there, he never had a bad match with ANYONE in 4 years... it was only towards the end when they threw he and IRS together with guys like the Disasters and Hogan and Brutus that his star even remotely dimmed. That his injury came weeks after leaving summed it up, it was time to move on, even if he could still go.

Ted Sr. had always had a bond with Vince as they pretty much knew each other since their youth. Vince is a guy who learned from his dad to take care of people and it showed with Vicki and relatives of anyone who has died on "their watch". DiBiase's dad was the last guy other than Owen to die in a McMahon ring... So Ted Sr. got a lot of latitude from Vince over the years and thus so did Ted Jr.

Ted Jr. however had to contend with the realities of a dad who was not well liked by many because of his privileged position with Vince for so many years and his "born again" status. Listen to Honky talk about Ted Sr and whether you believe it or not, it does make you think. Ted Jr. was a kid who had a choice to make, Preisthood/Ministry or wrestling and both were the "family business".

He was better than Cody by a long way even when he left, but he wasn't as malleable, he was a kid who had only decided to be a wrestler late in life and very nearly became a priest, he was a redneck kid who grew up without his dad a lot of the time unlike Cody who benefitted from being around Dusty and the business from a young age, a kid more comfortable at Tailgate parties than being asked to play "wrestling royalty" or a nefarious bad guy.

But that's the thing, they never let him be himself... they figured the money gimmick would "just work" and as many attest, this was perhaps the most humble guy on their roster... it was never gonna work in a million years... and however good he was, he just couldn't be his dad...

There are a lot of people who don't like Ted Sr. in the business and that I think played a lot of factor into what happened with Ted Jr. Vince was seen to give him every chance but something didn't catch and eventually Ted Jr himself decided it wasn't worth it. That's quite sad as he DID have the potential to be a top guy but it wasn't anything to do with the Million Dollar gimmick, that was fine and logical... just booked pretty badly.

The other 2 could easily have come in but again, enough people dislike Ted that perhaps once Mike started having "issues" the knives were out.

I'd have rather have seen the Fortunate Sons concept with Ted, The Rotundas, The Briscoes than just the DiBiase's as a unit. That had a lot of potential but I guess the Briscoes not signing/being homophobic jerks was a big stumbling block.

I'm kinda curious. I've never heard of this rampant dislike for Ted Sr. in the business. In fact, I've always heard the exact opposite. That there really isn't a lot to not like about the guy.

Where are you getting this from (beyond HTM who you mentioned in your next post, because let's be fair... that guy doesn't really like anyone).

My idea for the DiBiase Dynasty-Ted Sr would manage them with Ted Jr being declared the Million Dollar Champion by Ted Sr. At the same time, Ted Sr also declares all 3 of his sons the Million Dollar Tag Team Champions. The only way the Million Dollar Tag Team Championships could be defended is through the Freebird Rule(which would put them above the WWE Tag Team Championship belts which couldn't be defended via the Freebird Rule). Also, the Dibiase brothers would always be able to pick the stipulation of the match they would have and if the Dibiase Dynasty beat their opponents, each opponent would have to give the DiBiase brothers say half a year's pay from each of their paychecks. The Million Dollar Championship would be defended in the same manner with similar stipulations as the Million Dollar Tag Team Championships. Hence neither the Million Dollar Tag or Million Dollar singles title would have been defended a lot, but when the belts would be defended it'd mean a lot more.

I've had this idea since 2008 and in 2009 when I was visiting Houston with a few friends for Wrestlemania 25 I ended up meeting Ted Sr and Jr at a book signing for the WWE Encyclopedia book that just came out at the time. For a good 5 minutes I told both of them about my idea and they said they'd love to give it a try if the other brothers got called up because it was a tempting idea for them to use.

I'm kinda curious. I've never heard of this rampant dislike for Ted Sr. in the business. In fact, I've always heard the exact opposite. That there really isn't a lot to not like about the guy.

Where are you getting this from (beyond HTM who you mentioned in your next post, because let's be fair... that guy doesn't really like anyone).

I believe they're referring to how Ted Dibiase Sr. kind of threw WWE under the bus in the late 90's early 2000's after he became a born-again Christian. He spoke out a lot during that time about how the WWF is evil and he didn't agree with the direction of the business. He also went on more than a few rants about the Stone Cold Steve Austin charcater. I can't really quote him as I would have to look up the interviews but you can find a lot on Google. (I'm just assuming that this is the heat posters are referring to).

As for the Dibiase Dynasty, I can't really comment on Mike and Brett as I am not overly familiar with either of them but, from the early days of Legacy, I thought Ted Jr was destined to be the next great wrestler and was going to feud with Orton over the title, but it never really happened for him. Stuff happens I guess.

No there are a number of wrestlers who feel that Ted and his ministry is a scam/racket, Honky has broken ranks the most overtly describing how he was told it works...all the "born again wrestlers on their tours take a cut with the most going to DiBiase". I wouldn't accuse anyone of that, as I personally have no religious leanings at all... but Honky flat out did and wasn't sued.

Ted did somewhat throw WWE under the bus but they also canned him too and to a religious/born again person what they were doing in 98-2002 WAS pretty bad, Bruno, Sting all wanted no part of it and neither did Ted at that time...

They clearly ironed it out but the point I was making is that there are a number of people skeptical of DiBiase and his religious ministry and those who are part of it like Shawn. He had long standing heat with the Warrior and has been critical of Hogan in the past.

You do know that Mark and Jay Briscoe are in no way related to the Brisco family right? lmao. I'm not even gonna bring up the fact you want to put Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt together here.

This thread is ridiculous. Ted Dibiase Jr didn't get over because he was void of a personality. Having him head up a stable wouldn't have helped.

You do know that Mark and Jay Briscoe are in no way related to the Brisco family right? lmao. I'm not even gonna bring up the fact you want to put Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt together here.

This thread is ridiculous. Ted Dibiase Jr didn't get over because he was void of a personality. Having him head up a stable wouldn't have helped.

You do know that he wasn't talking about Mark and Jay Brisco, right? He was talking about Wes Brisco who was in the WWE Developmental a few years ago.

And what's wrong with putting Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt together...they're brothers. Provided Dallas sticks around, at some point, it's bound to happen.

You do know that he wasn't talking about Mark and Jay Brisco, right? He was talking about Wes Brisco who was in the WWE Developmental a few years ago.

And what's wrong with putting Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt together...they're brothers. Provided Dallas sticks around, at some point, it's bound to happen.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Mark and Jay Briscoe as that's how he spelt it. He also brought up the fact they weren't signed because of homophobic tweets.

Jeez you're dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back