We Need More Fights Over Shampoo

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
First of all, I'll set the over/under of posts with people talking specifically about the shampoo feud and saying it's stupid at 8. The reason I say that is because that's not directly what this is about.

Back in 2002, Edge faced Booker T at Wrestlemania 18. The reason they were fighting was that Booker T had lined up a Japanese shampoo commercial but the company representatives ran into Edge and gave him the contract instead because of his long blonde hair. The match was so Booker could get his revenge.

There needs to be more matches for reasons like this.

By like this, I mean things that are out of the norm. Today so much stuff is either to establish dominance or because of a title or something stupid like that. There's such a lack of just old school fun and goofy stories anymore. Those stories are ok but the lack of emotion hurts the show. WWE tries to play it too safe and TNA tries to play it too realistic.

For example have a match between Santino and Kozlov over whose music scores more chicks for them with Tamina being wooed by either song (Important note: this wouldn't have to mean the end of the tag team with a heel turn but that's a story for another thread). Or for a serious version, have Morrison fight Ryder because Morrison borrowed his hair gel without his permission. There are hundreds of these.

The point is: mix things up a bit. Look at Booker vs. Edge's shampoo match. Was it stupid? Yes. Did it make perfect sense? Not really. However, it got people's attention at least for a few seconds because it was different, it's an acceptable way to get them on the card, and it was memorable because it was different.

Also note I'm not saying make this the only thing you do. I'm saying mix it up a little bit and give us something fun for a change instead of the "You cost me a match and I'm going to get my revenge on you" or "I want your title so I'm going to win a qualifying match and then jump you multiple times before our match".

In short: have some more fun and stop being so rigid with everything. Thoughts on this? Am I onto something or am I an idiot?

Yeah, dead right KB. It seems today 90% of feuds are either "I don't like you because you cost me a match" or "I am going after your championship and ill beat you up along the way". It definitely needs to be mixed up a little bit, particularly for the mid card feuds. I can understand wanting to keep the main feuds on each show serious and keep them sticking to a basic formula that is proven to work. But for filler mid card feuds they can certainly afford to mix things up a bit.

Have Mistico and Rey feud over who has a better mask. Let John Morrison and Ted Dibiase feud over who has a better finisher, let them have a series of matches against opponents and whoever gets more pins with their finisher wins. Hell, let Zack Ryder and Primo feud over who has a better haircut. Apart from Rey and Mistico, the likelihood is that no one is going to care about those matches anyway under normal circumstances so why not try and mix it up to see if you can get people interested by the unusual angle, not the people in it.

I see no harm in the WWE doing this for their lesser feuds, there is a possibility it could get people interested in feuds they wouldn't normally care about and when the more serious "You cost me a meaningless match so now I hate you" feuds do appear in the main event they will appear more fresh. Win-Win situation from where I sit.

Totally agree. I bet a lot of people on here would disagree if WWE tried it considering they want to turn Cena heel so he can be a normal boring wrestling character with a defined "noise" the crowd makes.

I wanna see the quirky stuff. Shamboo commercials, "you scuffed my shoe".

I think start it with Santino (team APPLE!!!!) and then move it to other guys without shit to do.

I say just hire Mike Quakenbush, give him 2-6 (man loves lucha) guys to write a feud for every few months and just let it go.

I think that the problem that plagues most wrestling promotions these days is they feel that every feud needs to something grandiose and epic. Very few performers in the business have that capability and those guys rightfully go on to become the biggest stars in the business. But it is not that the others are going to be absolute failures.

The "silly feud" and even the "silly gimmick" does still have a place in pro wrestling. A good case in point is the story of Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase Jr. WWE wanted Ted Jr to be a great heel like his father and draw similar amounts of heat. But as it stands Ted Jr either isn't good enough or ready to do so at this moment. On the flipside we have Cody Rhodes, another second generation superstar whose career wasn't exactly looking up till he decided to play one of the corniest gimmicks seen in recent times. What did that do for him? It allowed him to be in the vision of the fans and now when he is defeating huge stars like Rey Mysterio, it does not look odd at all.

So yes, we do need some silly feuds to happen. It's a good way of remaining in the vision of the fans till the superstar has that stroke of luck and makes it big.

A feud over a shampoo, hair gel and other such stuff gives them a reason to fight. If they can give a good account of themselves in the ring or even on the mic the original reason can always be morphed into something more serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back