WCW's 2000 fire sale of the vast majority of their veteran stars and why?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
WCW's 2000 had the biggest roster purge of pretty much almost the entire roster as Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Lex Luger, Perry Saturn, Scott Hall, Curt Hennig, Randy Savage, Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, Roddy Piper, Eddie Guerrero, Van Hammer, Stevie Ray, Horace Hogan, Lodi, Fit Finlay, La Parka, Eric Bischoff, Miss Elizabeth, Bobby Heenan, Kimberly Page, Larry Zbyszko, Mike Enos, Psichosis/Psychosis, Juventud Guerrera, Vince Russo, Vincent/Mike Jones, Mike Rotunda and numerous others too, leaving Sting, Goldberg, Kevin Nash, Diamond Dallas Page, Booker T, Scott Steiner, Ric Flair, Lex Luger, Rick Steiner, Buff Bagwell and Jeff Jarrett to carry the whole WCW company through their dying days in late 2000/early 2001.

The people who were apparently close to getting fired from WCW in 2000 as well were Scott Steiner and Konnan. In early 2000, Konnan was suspended for being outspoken about WCW's mismanagement of the luchadore wrestlers. He had already been in hot water before in late 1998/early 1999 for speaking out against Kevin Nash (his supposed friend) and Eric Bischoff for stunting his potential prominent main event push. It was actually Ric Flair that tried to get Scott Steiner fired in 2000 by setting him up to do a worked shoot promo saying "WCW sucks" and mentioned the WWF and Stone Cold Steve Austin as a guy whom Steiner thought Flair held him (Austin) back politically all the way back to 1994/95. That's why Rick had to plead with WCW higher ups to keep Scott in the fold, due to the fact that Scott at the time was one of the biggest main event-caliber heel draws that WCW had to offer. WCW needed to keep him because of his 1998 arrest and subsequent probation ordering him to work in order to pay off his fines owed to the government.

By 2000 Time Warner was looking for any and everyway to make WCW profitable or atleast slow the hemmoraging of money. People also were jumping ship left and right by 2000, dealing with injuries, waiting out their contract or suing the company.

Benoit, Saturn, Malenko & Guerrero jumped ship after years being unhappy due to not being used properly. Many of the luchadors worked on an appearance only or part time contract and were dismissed or just never called back up in an attempt to save money as a result, many filed a discrimination suit against Aol-Time Warner. A meeting was also held prior to Bischoff's dismisal in late '99 early 20000 where anyone who wanted to leave was welcome to walk out, Raven and a few others did so at this time.

There were a few names that were let go around 2000. The only two that come to mind thst were legitimitely fired were Eric Bischoff who had a dispute with S&P at time warner for refusing to comply with their demands to bring WCW programming "in line with their visions for TNT and TBS" and Scott Hall who had become a liability on screen and behind the scenes due to his substance abuse issues. Bret Hart and Sid Vicious were also let go around 2000 due to injuries that prevented a return or timely return to the ring. Many others who were in their late 30s to mid 40s at this time were kayfabe fired in an attempt to build up fledgling mid-card that was decimated by the losses of guys like Benoit and Guerrero. Pretty much they were throwing whatever they could at the wall to see what would stick.

Lex Luger was there till the end of WCW and I think Stevie Ray was as well.

Guys like Van Hammer, Vincent, Michael Wallstreet had all been well past their sell by date & weren't big losses.

WCW left it too late to pull the plug on the veterans & instead push new talent, this was one of the reasons Benoit, Malenko, Saturn & Guerrero left.

Guys like Booker T & Lance Storm would have been early-mid 30's, Mysterio & Kidman late 20's in the dying days of WCW and these guys should have been pushed before they were.

Hulk Hogan left and sued for breach on contract after the 2000 Bash incident. He felt Russo had violated his Creative Control clause. Making 12 mil per year I don't think the higher-ups at Time Warner were clamoring to bring him back,

Bret Hart had his contract voided because of the injury suffered at Starrcade 2000. He could not work plain and simple.

According to Scott Hall he quit the company after he gained custody of his kids in 2000. His contract should have ended the same time as Nash's.

Kimberly quit the company after the Scott Steiner incident (did anyone really notice?)

Saturn Malenko Benoit Guerrero all left on their own. As Mike Graham told the story, "I just saved the company about 2.5 million dollars a year cause they never drew a dime....not a dime." LOL

I don't know what Bischoff's contract was but I believe he walked out with Hogan. Russo also left at Bash 2000 if I'm not mistaken. I think both Bischoff and Russo's deals were contingent on them working together.

Heenan was replaced by Mark Madden.

The other? Lodi, Van Hammer, Mike Enos , the luchadors? Did anyone really notice?

I believe Benoit, Malenko and Guerrero left because Sullivan was put in as booker and they knew he wasn't going really use them. The WWE wanted them so they asked for their release. Sting and Flair were still there but WCW were still pushing the older wrestlers and never built up the next generation of stars. Paying the older wrestlers the contracts they did made WCW a money pit.

I believe Benoit, Malenko and Guerrero left because Sullivan was put in as booker and they knew he wasn't going really use them. The WWE wanted them so they asked for their release. Sting and Flair were still there but WCW were still pushing the older wrestlers and never built up the next generation of stars. Paying the older wrestlers the contracts they did made WCW a money pit.

Sullivan said he would have used them, even Benoit, because it would be stupid to shit where he eats (which means WCW made him money so it would be dumb to sabotage it). Sullivan actually convinced Sid to drop the title to Benoit, which Sid said he would only do out of respect for Sullivan as he considered Benoit to be small. This was Sullivan's attempt to show he would use them and try to convince them to stay. Though it is obvious why Benoit would be skeptical of Sullivan. WWE really only wanted Benoit (I can't remember if they wanted Guerrero as well) but Benoit wouldn't come if they didn't sign everyone else.

The reason why losing those guy hurt a lot was they were the backbone of the WCW midcard. They could be relied upon to do a good match that could eat up a lot of time. They might not have been used as main eventers but they were valuable to WCW.

The Death of WCW book noted that even if WCW didn't pay their employees, they would have still lost money.

Everybody saids that WCW should of pushed new talent.

But when you look at there roster they really didn't have much in the way of future main eventers except for Disco Inferno, Konnan, Raven and some of the Cruiserweights.

Their non Cruiserweight midcarders sucked.

The only great talents left for hire were with ECW.

Everybody saids that WCW should of pushed new talent.

But when you look at there roster they really didn't have much in the way of future main eventers except for Disco Inferno, Konnan, Raven and some of the Cruiserweights.

Their non Cruiserweight midcarders sucked.

The only great talents left for hire were with ECW.

That's what everyone is hinting at, they stuck with the veterans at the top of the card on contracts that sucked the life out of the company without really planning 6-12 months down the line, of course having creative contract in some of the top stars contracts wasn't going to help either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back