Was Kobe ever really the #1 stand alone best player in the NBA ?

Scuba 06

Pre-Show Stalwart
When I look back in NBA history, there have always been a select number of players, who I felt have dominated the league for an extended time, and staked their claim as the bonafide #1 star in the league. For example, I think most fans and observers would with little hesitation agree that Lebron James is the absolute best player in the NBA today.In the 1980s for example, most would probably cite Magic Johnson as the best player in the league, winning 5 rings and make several other title appearances. During the 1990s minus the two years, he was out of the league, I think most would unanimously identify Michael Jordan as that guy. After Jordan retired, there may be some debate about who was that next guy, however it has hard not argue that Shaq wasn't the top star because, he was just so dominant from 1998 thru 2003.

After Shaq left the Lakers in 2004 and regressed as a player, that is where the debate about Kobe's place as the top guy begins. Many may argue from this point forward Kobe was the #1 guy, but was he ? The fact is when Jordan and Shaq were the guy, they just weren't putting up amazing stats but they were also winning championships. Sure Kobe won some rings with Shaq, but like many have agreed upon, Kobe was playing sidekick, a damn good one but nobody believed he was sharing that #1 spot with Shaq. From 2003 thru 2007, Kobe was putting up amazing personal numbers, consisting of seasons with 30+ PPG. The problem with considering him the best however, was that his teams weren't winning anything. Tim Duncan and the Spurs were winning, claiming 3 championhips in 5 season. Duncan wasn't wasn't just winning titles but he was winning MVPs and putting up numbers that put him in the debate with Kobe for that #1 spot.

Eventually Kobe and his team did get back to the Finals and Kobe won his first MVP in 2008. This two year period from 2008 to 2010, you could argue was Kobe's definitive moment as the #1 guy in the NBA. On that same token, however, like many had claimed Kobe was still the best player in the league while Duncan was winning championships, many others were claiming Lebron who won his first of several MVPs in 2009, and was putting up personal monster numbers not only in points but other contributing categories as well. Not to mention, he had led his team to the finals and had given a group of underachievers the best record in the league. Thus all these factors were worth putting Lebron in the discussion with Kobe for the #1 spot too, until he finally he won his first ring, and is now indisputably heralded as the best.

So examining Kobe's career and he state of the NBA over the last decade or so, I am hard-pressed to see when Kobe was ever the #1 stand alone guy. To me he was, but he was always sharing it with someone else. First being Tim Duncan and then Lebron James. Do you agree or do you think his moment in 08-10, where won 2 titles, went to another finals and won 1 MVP was a moment worthy of note that can be compared to Jordan, Magic or Shaq's periods of dominance as the stand alone best player in the league.

Sometimes I feel that MVP is not always the best player in the league, but the most important to the most successful team, which is why I feel in 2005 to 2006 Kobe was the best player in the league, but only during that period.

Kobe is/was a great great player. The only problem for Kobe was that everyone was dying for the "next" Jordan , and that ain't happening anytime soon brother. I believe Kobe may actually go down in history as the most underrated player in NBA history. He is top 10-15 all-time in my eyes and to answer your question I do believe he had his moment as "the man" in the NBA (probably when he beat the Magic in the Finals & finally stepped out of Shaqs shadow

Part of it is that he played in LA and that put the spotlight on him, part of it is that Tim Duncan isn't the flashiest player....Who was more important to their team? Kobe or Duncan? Without diving into the stats I'm going with Kobe.

I'm a victim of the pr-machine and I consider Kobe more dominant and the best player in those years...you should Watch Spike Lee's documentary on Kobe. Very fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back