Was It The Most Anticipated Wrestlemania Match Ever?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
That's how Jerry Lawler termed it, I believe. Now, I should at least acknowledge that, of course, this was probably fed to Jerry by Vince. Vince has a priority to put this match over as the most anticipated, considering that... Well, the other matches I could consider are held by men who are currently in the competition. So I should acknowledge that the term itself is probably just more hype from the Vince McMahon machine.

However, Jerry did term The Undertaker VS. Shawn Micheals as the most anticipated match at Wrestlemania. Is he right?

In my estimate, absolutely not. Nothing could compare to the anticipation for Hogan/Andre. This was the clash of the titans at its best. It was the two wrestlers that defined that era o wrestling, and even Andre, who also defined the 70s quite well by his own right. They were the two largest celebrities in wrestling, perhaps ever. The Rock may dispute that, but I'd say more people Andre at his height of fame than people know The Rock. Again, that's a thread for another day, but Hogan/Andre to me was the most anticipated. No one was actually that sure who was going to win, or rather, if Andre would allow Hogan to get the better of him. It was a momentous occasion in wrestling, and everyone could feel it. This had far more of a built up angle than Taker/Michaels did. And I would even say, yes, it was a more important match than Taker/Michaels

I've put my opinion on the line. Was Taker/Michaels the most anticipated Wrestlemania match ever?

Quite honestly not by a long shot, Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 25 might have made a good contender to being the most anticipated match of all time, but not the Wrestlemania 26, while it was very well hyped (some may say over the top) and certainly was anticipated and seen as an incredibly big deal, I wouldn't go out on a limp and actually call it the most anticipated match, because it was done the year before as I mentioned above, which was anticipated more yet not as well hyped if you ask me.

Although I don't exactly know which match you'd consider the most anticipated, I'll give it a shot to what I think could've been the most anticipated (looking over the fact that I've watched wrestling for a little over a year, therefore not knowing the proper hype behind all 26 Wrestlemania card matches) and I think the match between Triple H and John Cena could've very well have been very anticipated, alongside Shawn Michaels vs Kurt angle, Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon (because we all know that match couldn't possibly have been below the top 5 most anticipated match, even though it wasn't a wrestling clinic so to say) and quite possibly Hulk Hogan vs Vince McMahon.

But that are just my guesses, but I will definitely not call Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker Wrestlemania 26 the most anticipated match of Wrestlemania's history.

Hogan-Warrior was the most "anticipated."

Not saying it was a great match. Not saying it even lived up to the hype.

But as far as pure anticipation goes....I remember being a little kid and having EVERYONE talking about this match. My parents, my friends, my 3rd grade classmates...and hell even my teacher. When I think of a great childhood memory...I remember sitting with my friend in the living room listening to this match on scrambled TV. Great memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back