Walking out of the cage?

Why climb if your tired. :) Just go for the door. Though alot of the cage matches in the past differ from one another.

I remember talking about this in the Raw LD last night, and I was wondering why most wrestlers don't just (attempt) to just walk out of the cage, if it's perfectly legal to do so.

It makes no sense to try to climb the cage, and risk having someone thwart your escape attempt when they can simply walk out of the door, the quickest, most efficient option. It completely takes me out of the match and it's hard to suspend disbelief when someone gets thwarted from leaving the cage via the door, but then tries to climb out of the cage instead.

Honestly, I don't think the door should be a legal option for exiting the cage. Otherwise, it just looks stupid for anyone trying to exit the cage in any other manner.

While I stand to be corrected, as I recall it, in the past it was not uncommon for guys to simply walk out of the cage. The stipulation has always been that victory is achieved by exiting the cage either by climbing out over the side of the cage, or by exiting through the door. In recent years, it has become more trendy to climb out, with all of the dramatic slow motion ascents, where guys typically quite athletic seem to all of a sudden lose the ability to fall off and ultimately out of the side of the cage.

It seems a little odd to me, though, for a face to simply walk out of the cage. As I remember it, the faces tend to either do the dramatic climb out of the cage, hyping the fans and adding to the emotion of it all. Or, the faces struggle tooth and nail in an epic encounter with the heel at the opening of the cage, with the face barely making it and winning the match by a nose.

The heels, in contrast, seem to be the guys who do the brutal beat down of the opponent in the cage, then saunter out the front door in a cocky fashion, generally greeted by a chorus of boos in the process. It is a little unusual for the face to simply stroll out the front door unscathed, leaving his heel opponents inside the cage.

While I stand to be corrected, as I recall it, in the past it was not uncommon for guys to simply walk out of the cage. The stipulation has always been that victory is achieved by exiting the cage either by climbing out over the side of the cage, or by exiting through the door. In recent years, it has become more trendy to climb out, with all of the dramatic slow motion ascents, where guys typically quite athletic seem to all of a sudden lose the ability to fall off and ultimately out of the side of the cage.

It seems a little odd to me, though, for a face to simply walk out of the cage. As I remember it, the faces tend to either do the dramatic climb out of the cage, hyping the fans and adding to the emotion of it all. Or, the faces struggle tooth and nail in an epic encounter with the heel at the opening of the cage, with the face barely making it and winning the match by a nose.

The heels, in contrast, seem to be the guys who do the brutal beat down of the opponent in the cage, then saunter out the front door in a cocky fashion, generally greeted by a chorus of boos in the process. It is a little unusual for the face to simply stroll out the front door unscathed, leaving his heel opponents inside the cage.

Ok, forget for a second it's all fake. If you were trying to win, wouldn't it make more sense to run to the door as quickly as possible and get to the floor for the win vs. slowly climbing up one side of the cage, lifting yourself over, then climbing all the way down the other side? This would make even MORE sense after a big move that knocked the sense out of your opponent. How many times have we seen one guy almost unconscious while his opponent slowly climbs the cage, so slowly, in fact, that the unconscious party has time to wake up, recover, stand up, walk to the guy climbing the cage, and pull him down. Really?? Your opponent was almost dead for 2 minutes, and you thought it would make more sense to take 2 minutes climbing over the top of the cage when you could have just opened the door and stepped on the floor?

Of course, it's all about drama, and going over the top of the cage is more dramatic. It takes more time. More suspense. And it gives the guys time to recoup a little.

Last night what Orton did made the whole match look lame and wrestling look stupid as a whole. He basically no-sold the entire match when he just popped up hit the RKO and strolled out of the ring like he had just woken up from a nap. One of the many reasons that I hate Orton more than any wrestler in the history of wrestling.

Sir you basically described what half of everyone in wrestling does that is a mega star in the eyes of the company. You should in turn hate Cena,Hart.Steve Austin.The Rock,Shawn Michaels,etc etc

Let us not forget the meaning of why Orton did that. He said earlier that "nice guys finish last." The Faces would climb out. The faces would fight the good fight. A "bad" guy walks out instead of doing the noble heroic thing.

I don't think "Escaping the Cage" should even be an option. You have to think about what the purpose of the cage is...

1) To keep wrestlers in
2) To keep others out
3) To add a brutal element to a "blood feud" - to end the feud.

For example:

The feud: The Miz defends the WWE Championship vs. John Cena

Match #1: The Miz leaves the ring during the match and gets counted out.
Match #2: Alex Riley costs John Cena the WWE Championship.

Problem: The Champion retains on Count Out and DQ but still hasn't proven himself against the Challenger.

Solution: Steel Cage. Keep Miz in. Keep Riley out. Make Miz prove himself.

The three purposes of having a cage match (storyline-wise) are:

1) To keep a cowardly heel champion from getting counted out.
2) To keep a cowardly heel champion's manager/protege

The two purposes of having a cage match (storyline-wise) are:

The first time I remember there being a door option for a steel cage match was the first steel cage match I remember: Wrestlemania 2- Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy. I remember Bobby Heenan insisting the door be big enough to accommodate Bundy, since he said there's no way Bundy could go over the top.

Yeah, your right, I just checked the video of it, and they did use the door stipulation even as far back as Wrestlemania 2. I wasnt a big fan of that match so I havent bothered to watch it in a very long time so I didnt even think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back