Vince Russo 10 WWE Stars I Would Have Made World Champion

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
10. Chief Jay Strongbow (1970.-1977, 1979-.1983)
Chief-Jay-Strongbow.jpg

I first discovered Chief Jay Strongbow when I was about ten years .old, and as with everything in professional wrestling, it was his entertainment value that hooked me. With his Native American gimmick, which you believed despite the fact that Joe Scarpa was a full.blooded Italian, Chief Jay would do his war dance around the ring... – after you p*ssed him off – with the grace of a Cheryl Burke two.-step that you could see her perform weekly on Dancing With The Stars.
The fans loved Strongbow, especially in the New York area. His monumental feuds with such greats as Jimmy Valiant and Superstar Billy Graham were some of the most important and significant bouts during that era. In fact, Chief was involved in one of the first “angles” I had ever seen on a professional wrestling show, when his then partner, Spiros Arion, turned on him and stuffed his traditional tribal headdress down his gullet. That incident still scars me today.
One other thing I’d like to tell you about Joe is that he was involved in one of my favorite “gimmick” matches of all. time: Chief actually fought his opponent to the death inside a . . . . shark cage. A BRILLIANT booking for its time.
So the question... is, why wasn’t Chief Jay Strongbow ever given the honor of becoming the WWWF World Heavyweight Champion? The answer is simple: there was just another main eventer standing in his way through his tenure in the Federation. His name – ...Bruno Sammartino.

9. Ivan Putski (1974-.Early 80s)
ivan-putski.jpg

In the era of professional wrestling, especially the 60’s and the 70’s, the nationally that a wrestler represented was very important to the sport. With Bruno Sammartino as the WWWF Champion from 1963.-1971, and again from 1973.-1977, Vince McMahon had just about every Italian that walked the face of this planet buying tickets and pulling for Bruno. In an effort to then capitalize on the Polish market, Vince Sr. hired, “Polish Power” Ivan Putski to hopefully bring his people into the house... – much like Bruno did his.
And... the experiment worked; at 5’6”, 250 pounds, Putski wasn’t only loved by the Polish People, but he was in favor with everybody who ever saw him step into a ring. With a smile that stretched from ear. to. ear, and the raw, brute strength of a stubborn ox – much like Chief Jay Strongbow in fact – Putski became the second biggest baby face behind Champion Sammartino. Later, Putski would fall in line behind then Champion Bob Backlund, when he came back for a second tenure with the federation.
You see, back then when you won the title... it actually meant something. Not like when Vince Russo began writing 20 years later and he started flip-flopping the gold as if it were a dead trout at a fish market!!!
Always the best man... – never the groom.

8. Lex Luger (1993.-1995)
lex-luger-yokozuna_edited-1.jpg

Interestingly, in 1993, Lex Luger jumped WCW’s ship and headed towards Vince McMahon’s World Bodybuilding Federation; remember that little piece of history? Then unfortunately for Lugar, he suffered a bad motorcycle accident, and by the time he was healthy enough to return back to work..., the WBF was already out of business. So, with no other options he pulled up his trunks, and became a WWF “Superstar” on the roster.
With the departure of Hulk Hogan in 1993, Luger was handed the moniker.. “Made in the USA”, given a monster push, and as the new jewel of the company was flown by helicopter to the USS Intrepid where he body-slammed 600 pound Yokozuna on the deck. That would be shortly followed by putting Lex in a bus, fittingly named the Lex Express, which travelled around the country promoting his upcoming World Title match against Yokozuna at SummerSlam 93’.
At this point, there was no doubt that Lex was being groomed to be the next Hogan, however, to the shock of the entire world..., Luger beat Yokozune... via count-out at Summer Slam, winning the match... but not the coveted WWF title. In the collected words of everyone watching… huh?
To this day, I have no idea why all that built up hoopla went down with a single whimper. You would think that Vince may have decided at the last minute not to put the title on a WCW guy..., but that can’t be assumed. Next time I cross paths with Lex, I’ll have to ask him that question myself.

7. “The Magnificent” Muraco (1981.-1988)
don-muraco.jpg

A two.-time World Wrestling Federation Intercontinental Champion, and the winner of the inaugural King of the Ring, Muraco was not only one of the greatest wrestlers of all.-time, but perhaps also one of the most entertaining.
Managed by The Grand Wizard of Wrestling, Captain Lou Albano, and the great Mr. Fuji, Muraco no doubt learned how to be a great performer from those three minds, as he later starred in some of the most memorable vignettes in the history of the Federation: Fuji Vice, Fuji Bandito and Fuji General, were some of the greatest comedic skits in the history of television. Maybe that’s why the “Magnificent One” made my list . . .or . . . maybe not.
During his prime, Muraco had some epic matches with some of the all.-time greats of his generation. As a matter of fact, Mick Foley himself has publically stated that it was Muraco’s steel cage match against “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka in 1983 at Madison Square Garden...that made him want to be a professional wrestler.
Here’s a little tidbit very few know: for months I had the gimmick “The Rock” in my head before actually presenting it to the great Dwayne Johnson. Why did I wait so long? Because I didn’t want to show any disrespect to the original “Rock” Don Muraco, who had called himself that a decade prior.

6. “Big” John Studd (1982.-1986, 1988-.1989)
big-john-studd.jpg

When you were the size of a “Big” John Studd, and could do what he could in a wrestling ring, there always had to be an “issue” as to why somebody with clearly Main Event status never became the World Wrestling Federation Champion. In Studd’s case, the little “issue” was a man by the name of Andre The Giant.
Much like Strongbow and Putski before him, the “money” baby face is what limited Studd’s un.limited potential. At the end of the match there was only going to be one giant left standing, and that was usually Andre.
Who would ever forget Studd’s “Bodyslam Challenge”, where the great Bobby “The Brain” Heenan would put up 10 Grand of his own money if anybody could slam his protégé? What about the classic feuds with Andre, and later Hulk Hogan? Or, even better yet the unstoppable force when Studd teamed up with the 468. pound King Kong Bundy?
Yes ..it was all there for the taking . . . again . . . had there not been a bigger Giant standing in the way.

5. King Kong Bundy (1985.-1988, 1994.-1995)
hulk-hogan-king-kong-bundy-cage.jpg

I had the distinct pleasure of working with King Kong Bundy during his second run in the Federation from 94./95, and he was one of the funniest and kindest human beings you will ever want to meet. Bundy was a force when he first came on the scene in 1985, defeating everyone they put in his path, not with just a three count, but with a five count!!
At the first WrestleMania Bundy defeated “Special Delivery” Jones in 9 seconds (though it was really 24), a record that would stand until Kane crushed Chavo Guerrero at 2008’s WM in only eight. Here’s a good one for you... – during the peak of his career, Bundy was actually traded from “Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart to Bobby “The Brain” Heenan for “Adorable” Adrian Adonis and the Missing Link.... How great is that?!
Unfortunately, like Studd, Andre stood in the way of Bundy’s crowning achievement...; to become the World Wrestling Federation Champion. Damn that Andre!!

4. “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka (1982.-1985, 1989.-1992)
jimmy-snuka.jpg

I can’t explain how this one fell through the cracks..., I really can’t.
To this day, “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka is one of the greatest high flyers and risk takers in the history of the wrestling business. And, keep in mind... he was doing it in an era where nobody else was. That’s what made him stand out... – he was special. So special, in fact, that the fans turned him from baby face to heel in the early 80’s, when that practice just didn’t take place.
Colorful, flamboyant, and capable of cutting a helluva promo, there was NOTHING that Snuka couldn’t do – except... win the World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion. Now, the excuse will always be suggested that he just didn’t need it, and thats fair. But did Hogan need it? Did Andre need it? Did Austin? Or The Rock? You see, sometimes that theory works, and ...sometimes it doesn’t.
The two things that Snuka will forever be known for, is taking the “coconut shot” from Piper in his Pit, and being the first victim of the Undertaker’s immortal streak at WrestleMania VII.

3. Scott Steiner (1992.-1994, 2002.-2004)
scott-steiner-wwe-return.jpg

If you know Scott Steiner... – the REAL Scott Steiner... – then you not only love the man, you love the father. The problem is, that Scott doesn’t let anybody in, mainly because he doesn’t trust anybody, so all there is to “judge” of Scott Steiner is the “character, and who they believe he really is.
And that, is what leads to the undeserving heat that Scott sometimes get. People are afraid of Scott, and fear Scott, so they never do what they really need to do with him.
I wasn’t really watching World Wrestling Entertainment from 2002.-2004, but it doesn’t really matter. I don’t have to know who was on the roster at the time, or who was the Champion, because I know that Scott was better than them all. If I had it my way—I would put my money on Scott Steiner every single time. Nobody is as impressive as Big Bad Booty Daddy: not only in physique, but in the promo and charisma departments as well.
The most valuable tool that Scott had... – and still has – ...is that he is perhaps the most believable guy that I ever worked with, and somewhat ironically... that has become his Achilles’ heel.

2. Goldust (1995.-1999, 2001.-2003, 2005.-2006, 2008.-2012 & 2013.-14)
goldust-attitude-era.jpg

There is perhaps no sports entertainer that I ever worked closer with than Dustin Runnels, aka Goldust. During Dustin’s hottest run, the two of us worked hand-.in.-hand, as I would write practically 100% of his verbiage and produce all his backstage pre.-tapes, vignettes, and in.-rings, and he would just go out there and perform his ass off!. Together..., we were Goldust – I wrote, he performed... – and it was a match made in Hollywood.
Using innuendo to psyche his characters out of their boots, Goldust was RED HOT in the late 90’s, as even Stone Cold Steve Austin just attested to on his podcast. Dustin had more juice than any other heel or... baby face on the roster at the time, and the crowd response was DEAFENING every place he went. Goldust was a star, and dare I say maybe one of the biggest in the Federation’s history.
But then... the homophobes attacked. Even though Dustin was speaking strictly innuendo – I know because I wrote the sh*t - certain groups saw it as something else. Thus, the phone calls started, then the protests, then the sponsors, then the USA Network, and shortly after that... the character was quietly put to rest.
Without that, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Goldust could have been perhaps the GREATEST HEEL CHAMPION in the history of the WWE.

1. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper (1984.-1987, 1989.-1996, 2003 & 2005.)
roddy-piper.jpg

I think even Hulk Hogan would agree that there would be no Hulk Hogan without the “Hot Rod”, Roddy Piper.
During his championship years, Piper was Hogan’s main nemesis, and together, the two carried the World Wrestling Federation to National prominence. And, it was with those larger-than.-life personas, that wrestling’s “Dynamic Duo” literally, almost double-handedly not just put WrestleMania on the map, but made it a household name for the next three decades to come.
Piper and Hogan perhaps complimented each other better than any baby/heel had before . . . or since. One could only wonder, could the popularity of the business at the time have reached even higher levels had Piper beaten Hogan for the belt... and it was the Hulkster doing the chasing for a while?Better yet, if that did indeed happen, would we have seen a “heel” version of the “Hulkster” 10 years prior to there ever being an NWO?
Sadly, I guess we’ll never know!

What do you all think of Vince Russo's list?

As for people wondering why no DiBiase, Perfect or Rude, well, he posted only his opinion. We have enough of the "greatest superstar who was never WWE champion" threads that has 20 pages of people posting same 4 guys over and over again.

It's nice for a change having someone posting guys like Strongbow, Putski or Rhodes. That doesn't mean that Russo doesn't see guys like Rude or DiBiase as world champion material, he only posted the 10 guys he would book as champions first, that doesn't mean that for example someone like Hennig isn't in his top 20

No fucking way should Scott Steiner have been WWE champion. His run from 2002-2004 was terrible, full of bad matches and botches.

Roddy Piper never needed the title. Just like the Joker doesn't need to defeat the Batman. He just does what he does, and it's entertaining.

King Kong Buddy was just awful. He was in no way fit to end Hogan's title reign.

I think Jimmy Snuka may have been kept away from the title due to the death of his girlfriend. He wasn't found guilty, but that's a black mark you just can't get rid of.

I somewhat agree with Goldust, though. I'm not sure he ever should've been a long-term champion, but as a short-term experiment, it would've been fascinating to watch.

No fucking way should Scott Steiner have been WWE champion. His run from 2002-2004 was terrible, full of bad matches and botches.

I agree here, he claimed in the quote that he hadn't watched in that time period, Perhaps if he'd watched, instead of guessing, he'd have seen that Scott was a sack of shit by the time 2002 rolled around. His matches sucked, he botched continually and relied heavily on suplex, suplex, suplex, suplex. And looking at the WWE roster from that era (Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Triple H, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Edge, Booker T, Rob Van Dam etc. ), claiming Steiner to be 'better than them all' is straight up ******ed.

Piper didn't want the title.
Goldust definitely should've been the WWF Champion. His original character was groundbreaking.

He's absolutely right about Luger. At the very least, you had to have a definitive finish to that match. If you were worried about hot shotting the title on Luger (entirely viable, since he had a month build), then put off the match until Survivor Series. Have Yokozuna accept challenges from other contenders (Bret at Summerslam makes since because he won King of the Ring), and make it appear Yoko and Fuji are avoiding Luger.

But, since they did what they did, yeah, he's spot on with Luger.

I also somewhat agree with Snuka... But he was in the era of Hogan, so what can you do?

Not a single one of these. They're either massively shit or inherently midcardy. Forced at at gunpoint I'd have gone Piper. The rest I'd take the bullet.

10. Maybe
9. No
8. Yes
7. Eh.......that's a stretch but it could have worked
6. No
5. Is he nuts?
4. That would have worked and was one of the backup plans if Hogan said no.
3. Again, is he nuts?
2. No one would have bought it.
1. I'm so glad he went out on a limb with this one. What insight.

Also is anyone shocked that Goldust, the guy that Russo alleges he wrote everything for, is the guy he puts at the top of the list?

Because I'm not

The two things that Snuka will forever be known for, is taking the “coconut shot” from Piper in his Pit, and being the first victim of the Undertaker’s immortal streak at WrestleMania VII.

Wasn't there some thing with a cage in his career? I'm so busy vividly recalling that match with Taker at Mania that I can't remember clearly.

Wasn't there some thing with a cage in his career? I'm so busy vividly recalling that match with Taker at Mania that I can't remember clearly.

Ric Flair took that dive off the cage 200 nights in a year pal.

Wait this has nothing to do with Flair yet I can't help but talk about him anyway and pretend that no one elses' accomplishments mean anything? I've been watching too much Legends of Wrestling.

Well the man is entitled to his opinion. He seems very biased in regards to Steiner. I mean you can't sit there and say "I didn't watch during this period but he's better than the entire roster". Call it what you want but that two year run of Steiner's was horrible from the get go. A championship run would not have went well.

Stiff competition at the top during their times for Rude, Roberts & Hennig. Jake could have been one of the best heel champs ever. Rude was great, but no way they were letting him go over Warrior. Although the man was decent in his WCW run, injury kind of ended what could have been.

Perfect had his run-in with Hogan during his undefeated streak, but no way they were letting him take the belt. Although during his turn on Flair, a title win would have been great & led into a battle with Hart re-kindling that IC title feud. Plus Hennig taking his title would have made the 'loser leaves' match against Flair just a bit sweeter. If I was going to nail down a time when Perfect being WWF champ would have fit best, that would be it.

Lex is the one that stands out to me. WWE dropped the ball not giving him the title. He was seemingly getting a strong push and then it fizzled out.

I read a rumor that he was supposed to take the title off of Yokozuna but he was telling people outside the company that was the plan so they changed those plans.

I've read stuff saying there is zero evidence that ever happened and it was just people making stuff up.

Both of those came from a forum I believe so take it for what you will.

I wasn't there and I haven't heard it from a reputable source.

I don't agree with most of the names (really I disagree with all but 2) but I'm in 100% agreement with Goldust. In the summer of '97 he revealed himself as Dustin Runnels and though he still had the Goldust moniker, he became a face and was never the same. I would have held off on that and had him take on and defeat Taker for the title at KOTR in 1997. Then the whole Summerslam angle could still play out with Bret winning the title but that would have been a good spot to give Goldust a couple month reign as champion. It's not like Taker was doing anything with the belt.

Another route could have been Goldust beating HBK for the title at Survivor Series in 1996 instead of Sid as Goldust had just been feuding with Shawn for the belt at that time anyways. Though I'm not sure HBK with his backstage pull would have been willing to lose the title to Goldust.

The rumor is that Luger shot his mouth off in a bar the night before Wrestlemania and it got picked up in the newspaper (which I believe actually happened). Allegedly this is why he lost the match.

Now, for 100 points, who can point out the really big flaw in this theory?

The whole "coin flip" where Luger got the first crack at the title basically made it a guarantee that he wasn't going to win the title. Very doubtful that Luger would take out Yoko and Hart on the same ppv. Especially considering Bret lost to Owen there's no way he was losing twice in the same night at the biggest ppv of the year. They could have had him beat Owen and lose to Luger but that wastes the Hart breakup storyline. If the blabbing at a bar thing happened prior to the coin toss in January it would be a little more believable.

The rumor is that Luger shot his mouth off in a bar the night before Wrestlemania and it got picked up in the newspaper (which I believe actually happened). Allegedly this is why he lost the match.

Now, for 100 points, who can point out the really big flaw in this theory?

Newspapers dont care about wrestling?

IDK, seems strange that a big star going into a title match at the biggest PPV of the year would be out drinking the night before, But stranger things have happened. Beides, wasnt Luger in Connecticut until the day of or was he shooting his mouth off at a bar there?

IDK, seems strange that a big star going into a title match at the biggest PPV of the year would be out drinking the night before, But stranger things have happened. Beides, wasnt Luger in Connecticut until the day of or was he shooting his mouth off at a bar there?

Not what I was shooting for but that's a valid point too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back