Vince McMahon may make TV history.

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I have always thought of Vince McMahon as a visionary, as someone who defines an industry, not just in wrestling, but the way it is broadcast as well.

Vince invented Wrestlemania, he was one of the first to use the PPV model, he made wrestling go global.

Now, I predict that Vince McMahon will do it again, and if whispers I have heard is right, that TV may change soon, and Vince McMahon and WWE may have been one of the catalysts for it.

Last year, the WWE Network came out. It was an internet based wrestling "channel" that offered both current content and also past content. It was a one-stop shop for anyone to watch WWE, WCW and ECW footage from the past and the present.

Well, I have heard that this could revolutionize television, and that others may follow suit. Now, I know that WWE have followed the Netflix, Hulu model. But this is different, because WWE is one of the first companies in the world to run its own content solely, whereas Netflix and others show different TV shows and movies from all different companies. It is also one of the first to do it online.

I know, in my country of Australia, this model has been followed. We used to have a show here years ago called "Hey, Hey, It's Saturday". It was a comedy-variety live show, and it lasted 21 years on TV here. Well, recently, they launched their own online channel, where you can watch any episode from any year, and if the site gets enough subscribers, they plan to start making the show again as an online-only show to be shown on their website. does this sound familiar to another company who shows current and past material from their TV shows, and you can call up anything you want from the channel to view again (in WWE's case, you can watch any WWE, WCW or ECW PPV ever recorded).

I heard that more shows may get on board and do this themselves- having all their episodes on their own web channels, and having their channel be a one-stop shop for any and all content related to their particular TV show. So, if WWE Network succeeds, others could follow, and this could be a new model going forward. A show like "Game Of Thrones" would be perfect for this, (where, instead of stealing torrents, the actual show could set up a "channel", where you can watch both current and past seasons). If this TV concept takes off, it could be that Vince McMahon has made an impact yet again.

While it's a great idea in theory, how would you organize all the internet channels? Would people have to pay a subscription price to each and every one? Would it be a yearly fee, or a monthly fee? Considering all the shows out there, it might be a clusterfuck.

What I would like to see if this happens is this. Take a company like for example, and this is only an example, Sony Entertainment. They could have their own internet channel and put all the shows they produce on that channel. Same with Disney, Dreamworks and any other production company that produces multiple shows for the networks.

The only issue I see is that most of these shows already on the air have sponsors, and those sponsors are locked in for the season. Even the WWE still shows RAW and SD on the USA and SyFy networks, and only puts them on their network after a certain length of time as passed.

It's definitely an idea and might some day happen, but not anytime soon I'm afraid. Just look how much problems their having going global with the WWE network and the furor that it's caused, especially with Sky Sports.

In India,we still not have the network but we can view live on Ten Sports. It just started this week. But, as i know WWE network is awesome as it features past episodes of WCW,ECW and WWF

I don't see a "channel" doing this but could see a network like 20th century fox put all their shows on a pay channel.

While it's a great idea in theory, how would you organize all the internet channels? Would people have to pay a subscription price to each and every one? Would it be a yearly fee, or a monthly fee? Considering all the shows out there, it might be a clusterfuck.

What I would like to see if this happens is this. Take a company like for example, and this is only an example, Sony Entertainment. They could have their own internet channel and put all the shows they produce on that channel. Same with Disney, Dreamworks and any other production company that produces multiple shows for the networks.

The only issue I see is that most of these shows already on the air have sponsors, and those sponsors are locked in for the season. Even the WWE still shows RAW and SD on the USA and SyFy networks, and only puts them on their network after a certain length of time as passed.

It's definitely an idea and might some day happen, but not anytime soon I'm afraid. Just look how much problems their having going global with the WWE network and the furor that it's caused, especially with Sky Sports.

Firstly, the internet is limitless, so each TV show would be responsible for their own "channel".

As for subscriptions, people wouldn't buy each and every one. It would give them a smorgosboard of choices, and they can subscribe to only those they choose, and can afford. Not everybody likes everything, so some would subscribe to one "channel", others would subscribe to others.

Part of the reason this may take off is to not be beholden to TV channels and cable anymore. Now, they can run their own "channel". If a TV show gets axed because of costs, not ratings, it could continue on the show's own "channel' which could offer subscribers the opportunity to also watch any past episode they may have missed. Shows could now end when the producers decide to end it, rather than being axed by a TV station.

As for sponsors, you still honor that, but when your TV and sponsorship deals are up, then offer your sponsors an opportunity to advertise on your "channel" site. I heard somewhere that WWE may do that at some stage, and there would be sponsors appearing on the main screen, as in "..... presents...". Also, doing this may be more attractive to subscribers, because sponsors could just post an ad on a screen, but have the actual episode that you watch not have ads during it, something commercial TV can't offer.

I would not be surprised if sports and other shows don't follow the model. Imagine someone like the NBA or NFL having their own channel, where you can watch games, but also watch a championship game from years ago as well.

I would not be surprised if WWE Network's success leads to a revolution, where everyone starts doing it, and putting the ball back in its own court, rather than be beholden to TV and cable stations, who are more interested in reality shows these days anyway.

Good for Vince McMahon.

However, that won't help his stock or add subscribers.

Are they still stuck around 700k?

I'm sure the UK and Japan helped. Anyone got a recent accurate number?

This won't work for other people and I'll tell you why, using examples as to why it works for WWE.

1. WWE has weekly programming, they are on each and every week where as TV shows like game of thrones, walking dead, etc are only on 1/4 or 1/2 of the year. Now admittedly for WWE a month or two has to pass before raw, smackdown etc comes up on the network, but they have other programs they run like main event, NXT, there weekly programming series they started to help make it more worth it to subscribe.

2. WWE does PPV events. This is the biggest factor in all of this compared to everyone else, on top of everything else they do, they do monthly PPV events which cost ($30-60 or more depending where you are) and subscribing brings it down to a mere 9.99 a month, saving you money and is the biggest pull-you-in for WWE.

--------------------------------------------

Now for this to work for other shows, let's go for one second and take walking dead.

They run for half the year, so how would they fill the extra half year gap until the season comes back? They would need to start a new series on their own channel, maybe a behind the scenes type thing but spoilers would probably be about in that case... it's a lot harder for TV shows to produce extra content because it is all fantasy based what they do on their show, where WWE is reality (albeit fake, but beside the point) which makes it easier for them to do extra stuff with who's on the show.

Now, they also couldn't charge the same price. It would have to be like what, $1 a month? They couldn't charge 9.99 for a one show channel because people already subscribe to channels and get a wide variety of other shows on that same channel.

What will LIKELY happen in the future, things like Foxtel (from australia too), the paid tv stuff in other countries, will just all take their content online for a slightly cheaper price because
a) smart tv's. Apps, web browser, internet access make this all possible and you don't need a 'paid tv box' hooked up anymore
b) more flexibility, they can then add on go back and watch previous episodes.
Paid tv boxes will still be a thing for a long time, cause not everyone has smart tv's, but it will eventually fade out.

I could also see them doing what Sony does on the PS4, Standard quality videos are cheaper then HD videos. That would be a way to market a cheaper price point to get more subscribers, because like old people won't notice the difference anyway.

Good for Vince McMahon.

However, that won't help his stock or add subscribers.

Are they still stuck around 700k?

I'm sure the UK and Japan helped. Anyone got a recent accurate number?

It's will hit the UK on the 19th of January, so those numbers are unknown as of now. Don't know when Japan get's the network. The numbers won't change until it's rolled out to them.

I just don't see everything going to a subscriber based product and is the future like people who spend all their time watching streaming based content keep saying. It restricts attracting new viewers and limits advertising their product if it's a single medium. The WWE is a niche sport but covers both network and streaming right now but if they went 100% to the WWE Network they would lose fans and money.

So VKM is this great visionary you say
Lets see WM was a copied version of Starrcade
JCP had a national tv deal and the first to do PPV's and like most things Vince has to copy things One reason the product isn't good today because there isn't anyone he can copy and has to fall on his own hmmm creative ideas
WWE Network concept he had copied Netflix seeing thats why in the beginning of promoting the network on his programming he took shots at Netflix
The only way this network can work is off of two things:

Must add wrestling content outside of WWE and make the other promotions pay quite the price so its super profitable
Must add a company like LGF to have other entertainment other than wrestling related

Dish just introduced SlingTV. The lineup consists of ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network, and Adult Swim for $20, all internet based. Additional packages for children’s programming, sports, and other genres will reportedly become available in the near future for $5 a pop.

Anyone that continues in the face of this information to deny the imminent future of internet television, and the end of traditional television just isn't seeing reality.

Vince was a frontrunner in this movement, and with his vision of the WWE Network, it's evident that he deserves a large piece of the credit.

I totally agree that streaming is the future but not the whole future

Earlier this year a SCOTUS case of cable companies vs AERO had taken place AERO was a company that had dime size antennas in the midwest and was airing network and cable shows on the net for $20 a month without those outlets permission to air their content SCOTUS went with the cable outlets and AERO is basically non-existing now Streaming online did take a hit in that case

VKM shouldn't get any of the credit really

Netflix put out rental video stores Cable providers with On-Demand came in roughly six months after Netflix made sudden changes of their financial module

The only way cable providers get put out of business is when the internet streaming is near perfect in all of the rural areas worldwide

Vince can put pressure on these other streaming networks if he starts to regularly air new live shows not counting pre/post shows Certain marquee house shows to be seen live on the Network Thats a game changer

Recently ESPN/FOX have had talks about creating a online CFB Network
Both entities own most of the digital content of the CFB Conferences

I do think Disney has a market especially with Dreamworks and Marvel under the umbrella

This is definitely the way things are going. CBS has already started. for $5.99 each month, you get access to everything new and old that has aired on CBS or that their studios produced, like Frasier. Someone mentioned the Sling from Dish, an expanded internet service that offers the main cable channels at discount price. Everyone is trying to keep up with the cord cutters, Vince has helped lead the way

I am just wondering where do fans think VKM has any clout of being in some sort of leadership role in streaming

3 Years ago Netflix changed their module and has taken off since then not counting the crappy deal they made with Best Buy

All the streaming services since then and until Netflix is toppled by another provider is the reason why entertainment entities are following suit

No company has EVER taken their entire 5 decade long library and put it on one subscription channel, and charged a nominal fee, while also including real time new episodes on that channel.

The difference between Netflix and the WWE Network is that the Network is a very specific genre. Netflix has everything. The Network only has wrestling. They are only alike in that they are digital streaming mediums.

And streaming IS the entire future of television. The only places that won't be almost completely streaming digital television in 10 years are third world countries. And if Google and other companies have anything to say, even those places will have gigabit access soon enough.

On-Demand and Streaming came about before the WWE Network so Vince is not a trendsetter. If you're a company like Sony where your main products, movies and music, are not on a regular network it is a more viable option but if you're already on network TV and want to take that away and go totally subscription streaming you lose your casual fans and many won't pay for something they were watching for free (cable is not free so you know what I mean). I think having network tv and streaming is the way to go as you make your products available to all your fans, casual and diehard.
NASCAR had talked about going to their own network for years but the money from the tv networks got to be too good. Now they bring in Xfinity as a sponsor to do the streaming side and it gets their products to all their fans. Offering both mediums keeps all the viewers happy.

WWE's library is not complete. From their last conference call it was mentioned around 85% is digitized

There are still some entertainment streaming networks that have major issues with buffering. Once that is figured out than the market will completely turnover

Funny thing is Google is actually investing into their own cable/satellite subscription. At the end of the day Google wants to be the #1 provider in informative technology. That means Internet,Cable/Satellite provider, and streaming

Well actually Netflix does make its own shows that it puts on Netflix, Amazon does the same. But your right. Don't expect any single shows to do it. CBS is already doing it with most of their past shows to watch. But I'm sure its the way things will go the next few years, with networks and studios.

The only thing not on Netflix I believe are shows affiliated with HBO

The live shows aren't original either. I think ESPN3 started that

The only thing not on Netflix I believe are shows affiliated with HBO

The live shows aren't original either. I think ESPN3 started that

If you think that the Network is like Netflix and ESPN3, then the only assumption that can be made is that you are not an actual subscriber, and therefore have no idea what you're talking about.

Vince created an unheard of, unseen, and specifically unique product with the WWE Network, and now that more large companies are following, it's proof that he was right.

OK Man think whatever you want. If you want to be like all the "Yes People" Vince surrounds himself with and wondering why WWE Stock is still highly toxic then have fun with that

First of all I never compared it to ESPN3. I stated ESPN3 was the first live event streaming service

When Netflix was struggling 5 years ago if VKM had released the Network then and Netflix changed their module then you could say he's a trendsetter. Netflix's ideology is being used by almost every entertainment streaming company. Thats a fact no one can deny. WWE's core business which would be wrestling only not counting the movies and Network subscribers is 60% down compared to where it was in the early 2000's. Some may debate two different era's but when you are a public trading company you are always compared to when your company was thriving the most.

WWEN is different than Netflix because WWEN is focused on what they have instead of branching out. Netflix has contracts with nearly 100 studios and is the epic center of entertainment. You don't go to Netflix just to see Romantic Comedy's now do you. WWEN is strictly one category and thats wrestling. So you are right they are quite different

I had been looking forward to it in the UK before I heard it was costing the UK nearly double per month than what the USA is paying to subscribe, Don't know how they can justify the increased price for this country, They have been taking advantage of loyal UK fans for too long so Ill stick with netflix which is nearly half the price of the WWE network and stick with youtube for watching wrestling content, I hope greed will price them out of the UK market to then charge more of a fair equal price to that of the USA.

I don't think individual shows could do this because there's just not enough content. Channels like ESPN (which is doing this), FOX, HBO, etc are actively looking for this.

I've been saying it for a year now that cable will be dead. Anytime someone brings up "TEH RATINGZ" I say "meh, cable subscriptions are down, that's not really as accurate a portrayal of popularity as it used to be" and people kept saying "well it's how we've always done it."

Vince knows cable is dying. He hedged against it with the network. We will soon be in an age where you can buy ESPN for X amount, FOX Sports for Y amount, WWE, etc. It will likely be bundled by media company. So instead of just Comedy Central, Spike TV, MTV, etc, you buy Viacom. That has more to do with content than anything and each group may have their own packages that you can choose from.

As many have pointed out, WWE Network has a lot of content compared to a single show. A single show is unsustainable as individual network. If a channel or broadcaster does so, it's different then.

I can see sports following suit though. Imagine an NFL online subscription which provides not only their live games including super bowl, but every past super bowl playoffs at one place. Not only that, viewers would much rather prefer paying for individual sports as choice compared to the hefty fees that they have to pay to cable companies for all the sports content they don't want on their TVs. No more exclusive deals for a specific sports with a specific provider or channel. I see that more viable than each individual show having its online subscription channel/streaming.

WWE took what two different Companies were doing and combined them they didn't do anything new or different. Netflix lets you Stream movies and Shows on a list for a fee. The NHL network lets you watch all NHL all the time the WWE network is just those two things put together and You can bet your butt that Vince was not the first one who thought of combining the Two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back