Video Game Fanboys

Alex

King Of The Wasteland
So I recently watched a video talking about video game fanboys

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/the-sage/wow/25745-fanboys-and-the-console-wars

and the guy made a lot of good points. Twenty years ago fanboys were justified because there were very few (if any) games that would be on multiple systems. Back in teh day Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong etc Sega had Sonic, Golden Axe, Bionic Commando etc and when they came along Sony had Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Rayman and others and none of these games were on multiple systems.

Now the fanboy war is still going but it's kind of redundant now in my opinion. Most games are multi-platform meaning there are very few console exclusive titles, yes Microsoft have Gears Of War, Halo and a few others, Sony has Resistance, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank etc and Nintendo are still using Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong as well as well as various different versions of Wii Fit.

It seems now people will argue about anything, e.g. graphics are better on one particular console or the control is slightly better (I dunno about anyone else but I can barely tell the difference between a 360's graphics and a PS3's) or that one system is mre likely to break (ala 360's red rings) but this just seems really petty and pointless to me, twenty years ago people argued about the differences between various games (Mario, Sonic etc) and why they preferred the one they did.

Fanboys are really annoying these days. You can't go to a video on youtube of an exclusive title to a console without an arguement breaking out about consoles and why they are better than others. Some fanboys will even insult storylines of exclusive games (e.g one guy gave out about MGS4 Snake being old out of the blue.). People will bring up the most frivolous things in arguments, for example PS3 fanboys will boast about how PS3 gets free online, And no red ring of death and Xbox fanboys will bring up how bad PSN is and how then it will escalate into a flame war about which exclusive titles are better. PS3 fanboys will bring up Uncharted, Heavy Rain and Infamous while Xbox fanboyss will bring up Fable, Gears of War and Halo. It is incredibly redundant and is meaningless and is just fighting for the sake of fighting.

What's funny in a sad kind of way are the fanboys that should know better e.g. the adults. I've got a friend who's got a PS3 and by god he will go on about how he feels it's superior to the 360 and he gives some of the shittist reasons ever (usually going on about the graphics) My favourite is we were watching the trailer to the new Assassins Creed game and he said that the power of the PS3 shows how good the graphics are, I pointed out it was the exact same trailer for the 360 version, he then went on a rant about how the PS3 version was better. He will say how the 360 controller is shit and inferior to the PS3 one, fair enough I know people who prefer one controller over the other but when he criticised the 360 controller layout I had to laugh, the layout is pretty much the same jsut on a different pad.

The PS3 vs. XBox fanboy war has always been fascinating. Personally, I'm not going to deny it, I'm a PS3 fanboy. But that doesn't mean I can't see the faults in my system.

Technologically speaking, the PS3 blows XBox out of the water. It's capable of more, it runs on a better OS and it has a bluray player and 1080p picture.

The problem? It was ahead of it's time. Sony jumped ahead of the curve and people weren't ready. Now they're catching up, as developers are finally realizing how they're supposed to use the system, and the result is some of the best games out there, including Killzone, InFamous, Heavy Rain, GOW, and of course, Uncharted.

But it's too little too late. The rest of the developers aren't going to make the effort to upscale their games to the PS3, and moreover, they're not going to make the effort to make PS3 games properly by coding them with Sony's OS, Linux, and then going back to Windows for XBox, which would make so much more sense if you want the systems to be equal. There's no point, MS has won this Gen no matter which system is better and that's going to continue until the Next Gen comes out.

What Sony needs to do is play nice with developers now, get some exclusive deals like they're doing with EA and Valve (I still can't believe that), and especially Rockstar, and set themselves up for a Killer App with the PS4. They've done the right thing by delaying that system (while Nintendo and MS seem to be rushing their new systems for the next two years).

In a perfect world, every game would be multi-platform and equal in quality on every system. But it's a business, and Sony and MS are going to do everything they can to one-up each other, especially with new consoles in development.

As for the fanboys, there are some really annoying ones on each side, and chances are they don't even bother turning on the other system more than occasionally. No one should really be taking advice from them. As for fanboys 20 years ago... if there was internet in every home back then, it would be just as bad as it is now.

Nintendo are still using Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong as well as well as various different versions of Wii Fit.

I love how you start off neutral but your true allegiances are unveiled here. I would hardly class two games as "various" would you? I bet you're a metal gear solid fan, Snake's been rocking round just as long m'boy.

But on topic: I'm a Nintendo fan boy, and that much anyone knows. Though with fanboyism it's important to get the best balance, for example a 360 fan saying that it's the best due to graphics is a pile of bullshit, PS3 has the best graphics. A PS3 fan saying that it's better because it has the best exclusives is a pile of crap because Nintendo have the better exclusives. So the cycle goes. Though if I was to say the Wii was the best console, that would be insane as it's not the best CONSOLE, it may have some better games than others but at the end of the day there's a hell of a mix of games on all three consoles and they're all pretty darn good.

I can't really say that I'm a fanboy of either of the systems exclusively, personally I like each system for the games it has to offer. I know I've stated this somewhat else before, I think in the Bar Room during the RDR thread that sparked up.

But I generally only play FPS games on the 360. I like how natural feeling the controller is when pulling the RT to fire a weapon.

I love a lot of the RPGs on PS3 as well as a lot of the action adventure games like iNFAMOUS.

And of course Nintendo has Mario.

I'm just a general video game fanboy that doesn't care who wins the console war. I just want them to keep making great fucking games for us to play, because in reality, it's that competition that produces great games like Gears of War, Mario Galaxy, and Uncharted. People just need to ease up and realize that.

Reactions: Lee
I love how you start off neutral but your true allegiances are unveiled here. I would hardly class two games as "various" would you? I bet you're a metal gear solid fan, Snake's been rocking round just as long m'boy.

But on topic: I'm a Nintendo fan boy, and that much anyone knows. Though with fanboyism it's important to get the best balance, for example a 360 fan saying that it's the best due to graphics is a pile of bullshit, PS3 has the best graphics. A PS3 fan saying that it's better because it has the best exclusives is a pile of crap because Nintendo have the better exclusives. So the cycle goes. Though if I was to say the Wii was the best console, that would be insane as it's not the best CONSOLE, it may have some better games than others but at the end of the day there's a hell of a mix of games on all three consoles and they're all pretty darn good.

Well no offence Lee Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are pretty much the same game with perhaps three new games and you saying your a Nintendo fanboy kinda skews your opinion a bit. And I like Metal Gear, not a die hard fan though.

I do agree with your other statements about each one has their strengths and weaknesses, depending on what are your favourite genre of games each system can accomadate accordingly.

PS3- Platformer/Action
360 - Shooter
Wii - Casual as well as platformers with a unique twist due to gameplay

So which ever system you have you should be happy with the games on it and not rag about the other systems to much.

Well no offence Lee Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort are pretty much the same game with perhaps three new games and you saying your a Nintendo fanboy kinda skews your opinion a bit. And I like Metal Gear, not a die hard fan though.

I do agree with your other statements about each one has their strengths and weaknesses, depending on what are your favourite genre of games each system can accomadate accordingly.

PS3- Platformer/Action
360 - Shooter
Wii - Casual as well as platformers with a unique twist due to gameplay

So which ever system you have you should be happy with the games on it and not rag about the other systems to much.

Wii Sports was just to get people used to the wiimote and resort to get people used to motion plus. But I didn't mention Wii sports did I? Neither did you, you mentioned Wii fit. Me saying I'm a fanboy doesn't skew my opinion one bit at all, I can admit when Nintendo have made games I've hated (just look at Nintendogs/Wii fit) yet somehow they've gone on to become some of the biggest selling games of all time...and you'll find that the majority of the shit out there for that console (like the same shit out for the Psx and PS2) are as a result of third party developers. Same as the DS and the PSP.

Wii Sports was just to get people used to the wiimote and resort to get people used to motion plus. But I didn't mention Wii sports did I? Neither did you, you mentioned Wii fit. Me saying I'm a fanboy doesn't skew my opinion one bit at all, I can admit when Nintendo have made games I've hated (just look at Nintendogs/Wii fit) yet somehow they've gone on to become some of the biggest selling games of all time...and you'll find that the majority of the shit out there for that console (like the same shit out for the Psx and PS2) are as a result of third party developers. Same as the DS and the PSP.

Okay I didn't say Wii Sports and I actually didn't know they were developed by third party developers. But it wasn't developed just for people to get used to the controls because I'm pretty sure there's on screen commands for that stuff like every game this gen. It was Nintendo catering to a particular market, but that needs it's own thread I think.

Man I hate fanboys, They piss me off. Their arguments are very redundant and very much consist of the same lame arguments. I visit IGN a lot and sometimes a whole comment section will be dedicated to a my systems better than your debate. I just dont see the any logic in it, How can you call yourself a true gamer when you cant embrace games on any and all platforms. I honestly pitty the people who stick to their one console of choice because there truly missing out on some great exclusives on any one of the other 3.

I own all 3 current gen systems. Iv always been more geared towards Nintendo because Iv owned every nintendo system at one point(excluding some handhelds) and also because they know how to make some really fun games when it counts. But i'll admit my 360 and ps3 get a little more play time dedication. Just because some of my favorite games exist on them, though my favorite franchise are with Nintendo. But iv said it many times before. Each system has their strengths and weakness. But you really cant convince people if they just dont care one way or the other. For some people, loyalty is everything and the mere mention of a rival console starts a flame war the likes of which will not been seen for another...few hours.

There is nothing worse than Halo and COD fanboys. Everything they do is so juvenile it can actually be entertaining at times. However most of the time they're just damn annoying. The way they desperately "defend" their beloved game franchises, to the immature "insults" they throw at you for having a different opinion than them is just down right annoying.

I have a mildly popular YouTube channel on gaming and I make it very clear in my videos that I do not like the previously said franchises, so the lovers of these games will troll my videos and channel to try and send a "message" to me. Also my whole school are idiot fanboys of these games and whenever i try and tell them I don't play those and that I like other stuff better they go on to insult what I like and think they are the better gamers cause they have Xbox and it has Halo and COD. My cousin is also a Halo/Xbox fanboy who is as annoying as it comes when debating about video games.

Halo and COD's fanboys make gamers who already don't like these games hate them even more because they are as idiotic and juvenile as you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back