To unify, or not to unify?

DexVendetta88

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've actually been going through this possible scenario over the last 6 months, but should the WWE unify both the US and Intercontinental championships? I thought up this scenario because I feel that these titles could really use a boost just like the WWE Unified tag titles. To be honest here, i feel that the tag titles gained more merit when it was unified than when they were separated. I feel that the US and IC titles could benefit from unification because it will allow whoever is carrying the unified US and IC title to gain some credibility as a possible main eventer in the near future, and it will bring back the purpose of having those secondary titles as a "stepping stone" to the World titles once again which in my opinion these 2 titles haven't been doing in the last couple years. Also, if the US and IC titles were to go under unification, who would you want to see as the initial champion under this unified championship, and why?

It's possible, but, I don't see it happening, sadly. Here recently, both of those titles have lost almost all prestige. I remember when the IC belt was extremely prestigeous. Now, I don't care about the story lines, they're quite flat.
The Miz has the US on LOCK. He's going to have to lose the tag titles before he'll lose the US. The more time he has it, the more people forget about it.

No, they should not re-unify those titles.

These arguments have led me to the understanding that people will really just complain no matter what. Before there was a roster split everyone was all about it, then it happened and everyone started saying end it. They had one title, everyone complained, they added more, and everyone continued to complain.

They brought back the Intercontinental Title for a reason, just having the one wasn't working out anymore. If you re-unify these belts we're just a step away from a unification of the World titles and then it'll be all the "end the roster split" talk all over again.

If it ain't broke...

If you unify the midcard titles, it's not long before you unify the women's titles and the world titles as well. Personally, I'd love it if there were only one championship amongst the divas as that division has about the same focus as the tag teams do, and it would allow them to focus less on it in a way that could maximize the product (ie, instead of having to require the use of people like the Bella twins and Rosa for filler in a tag match, all the divas could be interpromotional, therefore you could just focus on the ones that the fans care about). Anyway, I digress, this isn't about the women's division.

I think having two world champions is a good thing, at least for now. It offers flexibility. You can have a heel and a face, offering the fans two different types of challenges. You can have a long reign with one belt and the other one changes hands a bit more often so that fans don't get tired, but it doesn't seem like the hot potato scenario. You can boost someone like Jack Swagger up to the main event rather than just cycling through the "safe options". The same goes for having two midcard titles. If you've got two world champions, it's beneficial to have two midcard champions as the "stepping stones" on their respective brands. Plus, if they continue the Bragging Rights concept, you've automatically got a built in adversary concept. First time around, we had the IC champ John Morrison from Smackdown against the US champ the Miz from Raw. To coincide with the benefits of two world champs, the two midcard champs does exactly the same, but needless to say for lower card guys.

Then there's the issue of "what are they fighting for?" When the divas on Smackdown didn't have a title, everyone questioned it, saying it felt like they competed for nothing, so they created a second title to be placed on that brand (which of course could be merged with the other and dual-branded), and you interpromote the tag titles, but there's a limitation. The tag title scenario involves 4 wrestlers going between the two shows. The divas situation would involve what, 18 divas, max? If you take out the Bella twins (as they do nothing but walk guest hosts to the ring now), Rosa (is lucky to appear backstage or standing next to Ryder), Katie (when's the last time we saw her?), Savannah (ring announcer, doesn't wrestle), and Serena (accompanies Punk, doesn't wrestle yet), you've got 13 divas that are actually participating, if you count Jillian. Not too hard to keep them going from show to show, especially if you don't have any plans on using some of them because you're focused on one primary feud. But you can't do this with the men in the WWE, having a midcard champion go between both shows and have ANYBODY be a potential challenger to his title. That's far too much, and then everyone else in the process is all just having meaningless matches or repetitive "a series of matches means we're in a feud and I hate you" storylines, which gets boring. Having two titles gives you two solid feuds revolving around the titles and you don't need to worry about spreading yourself too thin like you are with the divas and tag divisions because you've got waaay more than enough people to pick from.

Plus, you know they'd keep the IC title, and the Miz is awesome and McIntyre isn't exactly blowing up the spectacular scale, so that's another reason not to merge them yet lol

Nah. US and IC titles are meant for midcarders for the specific brands. Unifying them will mean that lesser stars will have a chance to show their potential by holding the titles. Though the storylines are quite boring for both titles, I prefer them be seperated and have a storyline for each title than to have one super-boring storylines with just one title.

When it comes to midcard titles, I don't think there is a need to unify them at this point.

The tag-team titles were unified due to the lack of tag-teams within the WWE. There really is no need for two tag-team championships when there is only four tag-teams.

With the US and Intercontinental championships, there is enough midcard talent to keep both title hunts fresh and alive. I'm sure that it is much easier to book two seperate fifteen midcarders with a set amount of guys running for the belts, opposed to one title with thirty midcarders with their eyes set for the gold.

Another reason not to unify the two championships is because the midcard title is often considered a stepping stone and used to assist wrestlers in achieving the next level. In the WWE especially, they need to develope the big main even stars of tomorrow, today. Having two champions on the top of the midcard allows for two wrestlers to gain the exposure and become confident in their ability to hold onto the gold which will make them more comfortable when it comes to competing for the Heavyweight or WWE Title.

And like NoFate mentioned above me, once we merge the midcard titles, it will be a matter of time before we unite the Women's Championships and possibly the WWE/Heavyweight Championships aswell.

I don't think there is a need to unify the two titles. If that were to happen it would mean less young talent would receive a push. What i think needs to be done is more focus on the intercontinental and united states titles. We need to see some solid fued for the titles, I mean who exactly is Drew and the Miz feuding with exactly? The anwer is no one, it makes absolutely no sense that their is no feud for each title and that's what needs to be fixed.

Unify midcard titles?No,there are many midcarders and they would wind up in nothing to do in a couple of months of unification of titles.I do agree that they need to defend the title more(last time Miz has defended his US title is I think Royal rumble PPV) but unification would be pointless.

Tag team is unified because they have like 4 tag teams(from friday they have more like 3 because of Cryme time) and its pointless to have 2 titles when the competition is so little teams.

I tell you what division cryes for unification-divas division. They have 2-3 real competitors and the rest are eyecandys who know only one move and they botch him almost every time.Also when is the last time somebody of male wrestlers had a vallet.If they dont know what to do with so many eyecandies there is a solution

Nooooooo!! Bad idea!!

I do in fact see the unified Tag Titles gaining prestige, but thats only because of the stipulation thats attached to them. Having the power to not be limited to one roster should be the focal point on these titles. I think the same power should be given to all the titles. (IC and US titles especially!) If you really want to push someone and put them over, put them on both brands to create unique feuds and freshen up storylines. With this rule attached to each title, you'd see all the current champs on both brands (or see them on one brand EXCLUSIVELY if they choose). This would make the titles wayyy more important than they are now.

I don't think they should unify the midcard titles, but they definitely need to add the prestige back to them somehow. Both titles need to be defended a lot more. The Miz and Drew have had somewhat lengthy reigns, but they don't mean much if they don't defend them often. I do think the woman's title needs to be unified.

No. But they should be defended at every PPV. Neither was defended @ Wrestlemania this year. Why? Did McIntyre really need to be in the MITB match? Did Kane for that matter? The 2 of them could have had a decent short feud and had a match @ Wrestlemania. (Unrelated topic: MITB should only have 6 competitors). I know why the US title was not defended, but the Miz should not have both the US and tag titles. The US title suffers because of this. Let him have one or the other, so that other young stars can be pushed with the vacant title. I hope that they are setting up a feud between Miz/Daniel Bryan, but because that makes too much sense, I fear it will never happen.

BTW, I wouldn't mind seeing the 2 world titles unified, but I know it won't happen.

Unifying the two mid card titles is not a good idea. The tag teams unification has more merit as their is barely any tag teams left. With many mid-carders looking to make a name for themselves there needs two. The problem that you may be hitting on is the lack of attention and prestige both titles have in the WWE. It always seems that the WWE forgets they actually have them and don't show them defended on PPV's and don't emphasize their importance with appropriate feuds. Think about this both the Intercontinental and US titles weren't defended at WM 26. It's becoming sad, to see them become irrelevant. The writers need to get their act together, not unify them.

I hate the fact that the tag-team titles are unifed. because then it just focuses on one team. but with them seperate two tag teams could have some credibilty.the reason why you didn't hear about the tag titles much before they were unifed, was because creative and vince didn't care about the titles, kinda like the US and IC title are now. i feel that unifying the US and IC Title would be disrespectful to the great wrestlers who have earned that title in the past. Instead of busting your ass to earn a title, if you won you would get both? just doesen't sound like a good idead to me..

jay..

I say keep the US and IC championships without being unified, Both the Miz and Drew are doing a great job as champions right now and if you unified them that might kill both of the titles small prestige that they already have. If that happen to the tag team titles what makes you think that it wont happen to both the IC title and the US title. So I will say no that will be a bad Idea.

I don't think the WWE needs to unify these titles when there are two world titles floating around. I think these two championships (IC & US) have different identities and both have a lot of history. I think it should be like the way it was during the attitude era, one being a higher midcard belt the other a lower midcard belt (like the IC & Euro) this gives superstars goals to work towards and could create fueds that we severely lack lower down in the card. the WWE doesn't have the depth in talent as it did in late 2002, one brand is enough or at least only allow the champions appear on both shows. There should also be a rule that if a champ loses their championship on Raw or SD! then he or she is exclusive to that show. They should unify the two women's championships as there aren't enough divas for two divisions.

If the rosters were smaller sure u could do that but right now the E is missing the creativity to do that so there be no point basically if u have the miz walking around wit both the us and ic title hes only gonna have a rivalry on raw and smackdown will have numerous matches that decide number 1 challenger for unified titles instead of havin both a raw rivalry and smackdown rivalry to keep things interesting with stories coming to together and all that basically keep things the way they are

No way. The two brands both need a midcard championship because that way their midcarders have something to fight for, even if that means one brand has a belt that has lost its prestige while the other brand has a belt that changes title holders too often. 2 brands.... 2 world titles.... 2 midcard titles.... 2 female titles.... it makes sense guys. The only reason the tag team belts aren't split up again is because there is barely a tag team division between the two brands.

Unifying the IC and US titles would not give them a boost the way that the Unified Tag Team Championship did for the tag titles because there are enough midcarders to form many great feuds for either belt on either brand, therefore the two midcard belts should remain as they are. Whoever holds those belts can still gain credibility as a future champion, they just need better booking. Besides, with there being two midcard belts this gets done for two guys at once rather than with just one if the belts got unified.

Assuming this did happen.... I would want to see McIntyre holding both belts because then he could go on both shows and it would put him in line for a main event push faster.... but I do prefer the belts as they are. While it's an interesting idea, I disagree and think that the IC/US titles should not become unified because better booking would produce two times the results that a unified midcard champion would.

I think the main reason some people don't care about the midcard titles is because right now, they are actually kind of in transition. It seems to me like The Miz is just keeping the US Title warm for Daniel Bryan - that's just an opinion, but it's one that is shared by quite a few people, even a lot on this site. And the intercontinental title is almost in limbo. Vince doesn't want Drew to lose it to anybody because it would mean Drew McIntyre lost his title, but at the same time it seems like there's really nobody around on Smackdown who even wants the title. I would love to see either a big strong babyface, or an up and comer go after Drew for the title. Names that come to mind are Ezekiel Jackson (a face turn would be extremely easy for him), R-Truth, Shelton Benjamin, or one of the Dude Busters (if you don't know who they are, it's Caylen Croft, Trent Baretta, and Curt Hawkins) would be even better. Hell, I'd even love to see the Dudebusters reunite on WWE. They need to insert McIntyre into the main event scene and they can't do that while he's the Intercontinental Champion.

It is a very bad idea to unify the US and Intercontinental titles, simply because the mid-card scene is already too saturated, and having one title instead of two would only serve to increase the saturation of the mid-card. If the two titles were unified, a lot of people would have nothing to do, and just be stuck in the same old tired storylines, with the audience not caring about them. With a mid-card title on each brand, there is something to build a storyline for, possibly around multiple guys at a time. The mid-card level titles are simply a prop, to get talent established and over, while the main-event level championships are there to signify that the person holding them has made it.

So basically, to unify the mid-card championships is to deny several telented performers their chance to try and get over and make a name for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back