TNA Winnipeg, Round 2, Match 3: #6 Ted DiBiase vs. #38 Jumbo Tsuruta

Ted DiBiase vs. Jumbo Tsuruta

• $$$$$

• Jumbo

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the TNA Region, inside of the sisx sided ring, from Winnipeg, MB.

#6. "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase
ted-dibiase.jpg

vs.

#38. Jumbo Tsuruta
tsuruta.jpg

Wow. This one is hard to pick. DiBiase was one of my all time favorites, but Tsuruta is nothing short of a god in the ring. I hate for him to go out this early, but I can't go with anyone but Jumbo in this one. Would be a very interesting match though.

Fact is...Jumbo is a legend. He's the first ever Triple Crown winner, his theme music's awesome and he pinned Stan Hansen for that Triple Crown win. Dibiase is a great wrestler, but nowhere near the icon stature of Jumbo.

Jumbo counters the Million Dollar Dream into a roll up for the upset win.

Ted has a lot of money, and he would use that money to his advantage. You offered that guy some money and he'd lay down in a heart beat. ted wins this match because of bribery. Other than that I have nothing seeing as how I really don't know who the other guy is.. Maybe I should do some research before I vote? So, i will hold off my vote until later... But, if that guy doesn't impress me, I am going with the greatest heel of all time.

which is the only reasonable thing to do, seeing as how the polls aren't even open...

DiBiase was one of my favorite heels of all time. I loved him as the Million Dollar Man, though he'd earned a lot of respect in various territories prior to his second stint in the WWF, including over in AJPW. Jumbo is one of the guys that really helped build AJPW into a powerhouse promotion in Japan and helped to sustain it.

I think this would be a very close match overall. Overall, I'd have to give the edge to Jumbo. I think DiBiase would give him all he could handle, but I think Jumbo would pull out with a victory. It'd be a difficult win for Jumbo, but a win nonetheless.

DiBiase didn't actually win very many matches, especially when it mattered. Jumbo did, against the biggest names available to him. The DiBiase paying people off thing is such a bullshit reason to vote for him. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you're doing that, scrap the whole tournament and just have Vince McMahon vs. Ted DiBiase, because there's no point in any match, as they'd buy their way to the final.

Jumbo would win this after Ted tries to worm his way through the match.

Time to stick up for the MDM. In 1983, these two men met at WCCW Starwars, to which they fought to a draw. Then in August of 85 at the AJPW Sumo Hall, DiBiase and Hansen defeated Jumbo and Tenryu to retain their AJPW PWF Tag Titles. Then in 86 of December, those same for fought to a double countout. The only video I can find of these two facing off is a tag team match of DiBiase and Pete Roberts against Jumbo and Tiger Mask. Jumbo and DiBiase due battle a few times, with each getting the upper hand numerous occasions. Tiger and Jumbo win the match though after a belly to back from Jumbo delivered to Pete Roberts, so DiBiase wasn't pinned.

[youtube]8uCuJyfzvN8[/youtube]

Either way this match should be a good one. I'll be picking DiBiase, as I think he would get the upper hand on Jumbo. Both guys would take each other to the limit, but either with a little money offer or after a Million Dollar Dream, DiBiase sends the legend home.

EDIT-Just found the double countout match, it is a three part video

[youtube]UyONxh5zrFg[/youtube]
[youtube]SitG-milx_8[/youtube]
[youtube]frhkvIfeXUU[/youtube]

VOTE DIBIASE!

Ted DiBiase is a two time NWA National Heavyweight Champion.

Want to know the illustrious names he beat to win those titles? Brett Sawyer and The Spoiler.

Pardon me for not wetting myself over the less popular Sawyer brother and a guy who's named after how we know something's going to happen before we're supposed to.

Jumbo Tsuruta is the first triple crown champion, defeating Stan Hansen, a legend in Japan by his own rights, and is a three time triple crown champion. He's defeated the likes of Bruiser Brody, Nick Bockwinkel, Genichiro Tenryu, Terry Funk, and Harley Race.

Not to mention the fact that he took one of the all time greatests, Ric Flair, in his prime, to the absolute limit, in a match that still stands to this day as one of my all time favorites.

It's a bit long, but please do yourself the favor of watching this match:

[youtube]ho4YLLogQfE[/youtube]

Did Ted DiBiase ever find himself having a performance like that?

Not to mention the size in which he had. Ted DiBiase always has trouble with opponents that were over the typical 6'2" barrier. Jumbo was not your typical big man, he could work an agile style, and was one of the better athletes in Japaneese pro wrestling history.

Ted DiBiase was always booked as a wrestler that knew how to get heat. He was never truly built "kayfabe strong" as he lacks that marquee win to his career. Jumbo is a former heavyweight champion in Japan. Ted DiBiase just doesn't have the resume of Jumbo.

Take the Japaneese legend here.

I had to go with Ted. I've seen Jumbo wrestle on 3 occations. All of which were amazing. But I just can't see Ted not picking up the win. Someway somehow. The decieptful bastard will pick up the win. Clean or not.

I'm voting for DiBiase, but not because I don't think Jumbo can win. I know he can. I don't think he will though. DiBiase is a good wrestler, and the Million Dollar Dream is a fantastic finisher. With Virgil on the outside, his heel tactics may be too much to overcome.

No matter who wins, this would be a great match, no doubt about it.

Not sure how to get the dailymotion videos to show up in the post, but below is a link, where DiBiase goes toe to toe with Ric Flair in a great battle. DiBiase may not have won, but he gave Naitch a run for his money.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/ted/video/x491vq_ted-dibiase-vs-ric-flair_sport

It takes a while for the match to start, so you can fast forward a bit and then the match gets going. Like I said, good match between Flair and Ted. Ted really takes Flair to the limit.

i went with jumbo, even though I honestly believe DiBiase to be one of the top five heels of the alst 2 decades. The guy was amazing on the mic, and just had a knack of being able to piss people off in character, as opposed to an imposter like JBL who just pisses people off because he's a biggot.

That being said though, his wrestling prime was well before his actual character prime, and even then I remember him getting trounced growing up by most others. When I look back on Ted's singles career, nothing really stands out to me liek, wow. Tsuruta and DiBiase both performed int he same era when world title reigns were more stingy in their spreading around, yet Jumbo's career is littered with heavyweight championships, while DiBiase is most known for creating his own title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back