TNA Signs Deal With OVW

sabataged

Pre-Show Stalwart
TNA sent out the following today…

TNA IMPACT WRESTLING ANNOUNCES EXCLUSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM AT OVW Focus On Development Key To TNA

NASHVILLE, TN (November 7, 2011)– TNA IMPACT WRESTLING announces that they are entering into an exclusive relationship with Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW), effective immediately, as the official training and developmental facility for TNA's current and future stars of TNA IMPACT WRESLTING. Former wrestling star and OVW owner Danny Davis will work closely with TNA SVP of Programming and Talent Relations Bruce Prichard in the development of the talent through training, live events, and weekly television production allowing talent to explore every aspect of the business.

"OVW is the best of the best as far as training and nurturing potential superstars. Their track record speaks for itself. Whether looking to develop brand new talent or to fine tune existing talent, OVW has the talent and program to fit our needs." says TNA's Prichard. "TNA is providing developmental talent the opportunity to hone their craft in an environment that will allow them to grow and prosper."

TNA talent will be arriving soon at the facility to begin an extensive training program with the industry's leading experts. The program is akin to a college scholarship program where talent is provided a scholarship style agreement with TNA to learn the craft. The talent to attend the program is selected by TNA's Prichard and TNA officials who will be monitoring the progress of each wrestler at camp and the live events.

TNA ENTERTAINMENT, LLC
TNA Entertainment, LLC is a privately held sports entertainment company based in Nashville, Tennessee that specializes in events, products, numerous TV properties, merchandise and music, as well as, the management and promotion of professional wrestlers. The roster features such greats as Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Sting, James Storm, Ron Van Dam the lovely and lethal Knockouts and many more through its highly successful TNA IMPACT WRESTLING weekly broadcasts on SPIKE TV. In addition, TNA produces monthly PPV events and over 100 live shows a year. The product is the world's most innovative experience in professional wrestling and is broadcast in over 120 countries. For more information, please visit
www.impactwrestling.com .

A good long term deal for TNA but their problem has always been short term not long term imo. They need to fix what they got before planning for the future.

I don't have too much to say other than "I'll be damned."

I thought OVW was owned by WWE. Does WWE own FCW? Can this kind of thing happen with FCW & TNA too? I could have sworn I heard that Joe Hennig was sent down to OVW too.

Man every time I think I've got a good handle on how things are done in pro-wrestling I find out I know even less than ever.

Great news for TNA. A deal with a developmental company make them seem like a bigger company. Hopefully they can get some good trainers down there to go with the great ones they already have. I agree with you that TNA should fix what they have before they plan ahead. However the better and more mainstream equipped these new guys come in the better TNA has to make some money makers. Signing INDY guys for all these years was fine and all but to get guys that are trained to tell stories and to garner crowd reaction is are important than how they are skilled as a technician. A step in the right direction for TNA.

I thought OVW was owned by WWE. Does WWE own FCW? Can this kind of thing happen with FCW & TNA too? I could have sworn I heard that Joe Hennig was sent down to OVW too.

Man every time I think I've got a good handle on how things are done in pro-wrestling I find out I know even less than ever.

wwe never owned ovw its always been run by danny davies. they had this type of deal that tna have now with them.

wwe doesn't own fcw either as far as i know i. it just acts as a devolpment place like the ovw does.

i think this could be great news for tna, who know who could turn out of ovw in the future to be a great star

Great news for TNA. A deal with a developmental company make them seem like a bigger company.

????....They are a big company. They simply don't have a long storied history yet like WCW and WWE.

Hopefully they can get some good trainers down there to go with the great ones they already have.
I think Gail Kim, Flair and a few others just earned a new job once they retire.

I agree with you that TNA should fix what they have before they plan ahead. However the better and more mainstream equipped these new guys come in the better TNA has to make some money makers. Signing INDY guys for all these years was fine and all but to get guys that are trained to tell stories and to garner crowd reaction is are important than how they are skilled as a technician. A step in the right direction for TNA.

To be honest, there is nobody for them to sign in the Indies. Every guy they should and need to spice their division is within OVW already. Cliff Compton has outstanding potential. He can be just as good as Aries and Punk. His gimmick, character, moniker, catchphrases are money and TNA was interested in hims before they signed this. I'd imagine he gets signed soon.

This also helps alot with guys who are considered green and need training like Mark Haskins, Anthony Nese, Zema Ion, etc.

This is damn good news for TNA and a step in the right direction. OVW knows how and has a great track record in training people the right way. Once The WWE severed ties and started FCW the talent that has come out of there for the most part has been horrible. This move can only help TNA in the future, now let the marks tear this apart lol :rolleyes:

OVW really has produced some entertaining superstars, good deal for TNA.
I don't think this will disappoint.

to be honest, I don't know much about The Dudley's School in Florida, ut I'm assuming that it was just a school and not run as an indy promotion. With that said I think TNA using OVW as a devlopmental territory is a great idea.

They can finally have access to guys who actually have match/promo/crowd time. OVW has done a great job before producing main event level talent. But that also could've been to the WWE placed guys in OVW at the time. I know Cornette was a key player in OVW's previous success.

And I believe that since WWE broke off their relationship with OVW to favor FCW, no one from OVW has really made a splash, indy/TNA-wise. And WWE was still signing OVW guys in the interim and moving them to Florida. Dolph Ziggler's brother (Briley Pierce-FCW roster), being the most recent. Maybe that was due more to Dolph's rising status, idk.

I hope this helps TNA in the best ways possible. New faces, more seasoned guys who debut, maybe this is a start of a legitimate youth movement. Hopefully in about 2 years, we can see a completly re-vamped, younger roster.

This is damn good news for TNA and a step in the right direction. OVW knows how and has a great track record in training people the right way. Once The WWE severed ties and started FCW the talent that has come out of there for the most part has been horrible. This move can only help TNA in the future, now let the marks tear this apart lol :rolleyes:

It's true that many of the talent that came out of OVW have been superior to the guys that have come out of FCW so far. However that could be many factors involved when OVW was still affiliated with the WWE Jim Ross was still head of talent relations He was the man responsible for hiring the likes of Cena, Orton, Batista, Lesnar, Edge, Christian and many others that came from there.Also Paul Heyman was in charge of booking and helping character development and Lance Storm, Al Snow and other trainers were all WWE employees assigned there.

However I do think this is a great move for TNA to finally have a developmental program of it's own. Especially one with a strong following in it's region. People need to understand that besides Danny Davis and maybe a few others it's not the same people doing the training and booking as when WWE owned it. Its now up to TNA to find the talent to send there, hire the trainers and someone to book the TV shows. In the long run this will be a great thing for the future of TNA. In the past TNA has put many talents that were to green or not quit ready for the big time on TV. Now they'll have the perfect opportunity properly train the stars of tomorrow.

Damn. That is one hell of an addition. I always assumed TNA was not able to support a full blown development filed and had to rel on Team 3D, but I guess I was wrong. Great expansion for TNA. OVW did a great job raising top crop for WWE from 2002 until they separated. I'm confidant that will also happen with TNA. I'm kinda surprised though. TNA has had working relations with other promotions like with WWC. But this is the first heard of having a relation with OVW and they are suddenly their development field.

Funny. TNA lost their website but gained a farm territory in the same week. Good milkin'.

wwe never owned ovw its always been run by danny davies. they had this type of deal that tna have now with them.

wwe doesn't own fcw either as far as i know i. it just acts as a devolpment place like the ovw does.

i think this could be great news for tna, who know who could turn out of ovw in the future to be a great star

WWE does in fact own FCW and have an exclusive right to everything that goes on in there. It's why Dusty's the main booker there.

--

I would also agree that this is nice for TNA and even the guys at OVW looking for their big break. OVW can train some of the lower skilled stars of TNA or the under used stars while also sending off guys like Nick Densmore to TNA for some TV exposure.

My only concern is how this will affect the deal with ROH & OVW. As far as I know, TNA only sends their workers there and not the other way around, so maybe the OVW guys can still work with ROH without TNA being too much of a hassle on the booking.

This really sucks for me as i live close to OVW and have been enjoying the ROH TV tapings being there 3 times in the past year or so. Looks like thats over now.

While i agree its a good move for TNA, lets not mistake WWE's impact on OVW during that time. WWE signed the guys and put them in OVW. All of the training those guys received came from WWE related trainers and what not. WWE no longer has a hand in the shows at OVW and the talent level there is not nearly what it was 6-7 years ago. There are a few guys there now that may make something one day but i would expect TNA to hire its own group of developmental guys and then sign independent guys to developmental deals, much like WWE does with FCW and did with OVW. Then again, the good indy talent out there today is better than most of the current roster in TNA, so im not sure it will really change anything in the long run. Cept for the fact that i wont be getting good wrestling in Louisville anytime soon.....aka ROH.

I think this is a fantastic move on their part...it will give some talent a chance to get some experience instead of riding the bench, give some exposure to others. It's an established territory with experienced staff...no, this doesn't fix all of their problems, but it really is a good move for TNA, and should be seen as a positive for workers in general.

Anytime a company can look at a reliable means of recruitment for their coming years is a good thing. We can sit here and criticize TNA all we want about their faults up to this point but the company's existence is coming up on a decade and I implore anyone and everyone to watch TNA's very first match and see how far along they've come. Will this necessarily make me enjoy wrestling like I used to? Not necessarily...but when WWE was still the WWWF at their ten year mark they had to rely on getting talent from other parts of the country and exchanging said talent with promoters in other regions. Considering that we are years and years removed from the territory system it's good to have a means of being able to have talent that you can bring up to your main roster. Now I know this doesn't guarantee that former WWE wrestlers still won't jump ship to TNA if they have expired contracts or are just outright released...but working with OVW can't hurt.

Everything is a process and while I will admit stupid stunts like Victory Road this year and the TNA title being shifted mostly to older wrestlers or former WWE stalwarts has been a little unnerving but with the recent events of established TNA acts like Roode and Storm trading the title we might be seeing some new and better things.

Acquiring OVW as basically their equivalent to baseball's farm system can only be a positive possibility and concept. Time will tell how good the execution of this said concept is. But I am intrigued, no doubt about it.

But like anything else folks, let's all give it time.

its a good step in the right direction for TNA this deal with OVW will probley be good for the wrestlers to as anyone who isent getting used on impact or xplosion can just be sent down there maybe thats what there doing with murphy and okada because last time i checked they hadent been relased only taken of the roster page

This is fantastic news for TNA. If OVW is going to train the talent that TNA brings in, both promotions are going to benefit from the relationship. TNA has found some good indy talent over the years, combine that with OWV's proven ability to prepare wrestlers for the main stage and TNA is going to be in good shape.

Just as important though, is the giant middle finger this sends to the WWE. This was WWE's breeding ground for years. I know it was the WWE that severed ties with OVW, but this is still gotta hurt on some level. TNA is clearly the WWE's only real competition (duh), and OVW is a former partner. You can say you don't care who your girl ends up with after you dump her, but if it's someone you hate its gotta sting a little.

OVW was WWE from 2000-2008 the likes of Batista, Nick Dismore, Melina, Orton, Cena all came through there at one time or another.

Then WWE ended that relationship in 2008 and moved all WWE training talent to FCW where they've stayed.

This is indeed great news & they couldnta picked a better one than OVW.If TNA are here for the long run,they NeeD a good feeder to nurture future talent ,for when their stars are injured,leaving or the roster looks a little thin, but isnt this partly admiting to a mistake.
Didnt TNA start of as part of the NWA & as they were competing in the same sport as WWE ,wasnt it different & wise to have a base of the best of the indies while picking the best of Future Endeavours.AJ & Angle under the same roof guaranteed.Everyone wants to be their own man but within months they link up with New Japan ,good for eastern sales but who cared if the Dudleys had multiple titles against Tajiri-lite & Not- Quite- Funaki.Followed by Booker T & the promise of a world title & use of his school,funnily when neither materialised,he went back to WWE who made him a Wellness Scapegoat (it woulda been him or Randy-go figure}Then Hogan & the promise of Monday Night Wars 2,but Hogan on a good day can only wave to the crowd.
none of us are getting any younger.,.But for years WZ has picked him as the guy to take TNA to the next level.It doesnt really seam the case & while its unlikely Cena will jump ship,my only guess is,certain ,,other actors who appear on PPVs would want to do...more.Funnily enough ,after the MNW & before the end,didnt a week not go by without you hearing dis guy came from,,da Power PLant?-spooky.
TNA have AlwayS had a decent roster & ,especially under Jim Cornette ,had an emphasis on EverY title getting a look in,whether certain wrestlers were used to full potential is another thread,but Vince should know,he could buy WCW,ECW,TNA,ROH,MMA & XYZ,some wrestler/promoter,ll look at the future endevours,n,say "I could make a show out of this",By purchasing OVW,TNA ,ve shown,for good or bad,the show goes on,for the forseeable future..For the fans that means choice,& that can only be a good thing.

Playing Devil's Advocate here. These boards are no fun when everyone agrees with each other.

OVW served quite well as the WWE's developmental program for eight years, much as FCW is serving (not so well recently) as the WWE's developmental program now. While it's tempting to look at this in terms of an "OVW history", OVW was a WWE baby while they were using it as developmental. It wasn't "the WWE using OVW's assets", it was the WWE running the performance/booking end of OVW and leaving promotional to them. This time around, it will be TNA/IW running the show. This could be a "Power Plant" type deal, where they run a wrestling developmental program for the sake of saying they have a wrestling developmental program.

This has the potential to be positive. Any idiot with money can acquire a company (or in this case, a talent deal), the hard part is execution.

This could be a good thing considering the folks who run OVW. TNA really has no where to go but up as far as being a nationally syndicated wrestling promotion. The downside is that Jim Cornette said he would have nothing to do with TNA as long as Vince Russo was still employed by them. But truthfully OVW has produced quite a bit of talent for WWE like Randy Orton and Batista, so I can see a lot of the X-Division and the KO's (particularly Tessmacher and Velvet) advancing their crafts.

This GREAT for TNA they have needed a developmental system for a long time and this is much better then just only using Team 3D's school, this is also a very important because of how large the TNA roster is now the guys that aren't being used can go to OVW to develop a character, improve in the ring or get rid of some rust when they are coming back from a serious injury like Chris Sabin. What will be very interesting is who is going to be sent to OVW in the coming days weeks and if anyone comes from OVW up to TNA. I don't much about the current OVW roster but I do know that many people believe that Cliff Compton is the best talent currently on the OVW roster.

[YOUTUBE]gLLHlL55IXo[/YOUTUBE]

:lol:

Anyway, it's big news. It's not that big news but it's big news. OVW isn't the same OVW used back in the day, because the trainers were from World Wrestling Entertainment and the booking was also from WWE also the wrestlers were signed by WWE and not OVW.

So don't expect just because TNA and OVW made a deal, that we will see a new Orton and a new Batista or Cena coming out of OVW right to TNA. That can happen but TNA has to recruit those guys. I'm not sure if TNA has the same control as WWE did back in the day, but I guess yes. So it's very good for TNA Wrestling to finally have a good partnership in a Development Territory, I guess it beats Team 3D Academy.

So, let's see. I have seen the roster and the only guy I knew is Deuce (or is it Domino?), so far, I'm not that excited. But I guess it will work well for TNA. If they had OVW before they started pushing X-Division again they could have use Sorensen and Xima Ion on OVW before pushing them to the main roster.

I'm my view only good things can come out of this. I'm not sure if TNA will use it properly or not but it's a big step in the right direction.

great news for TNA , need some new blood in their that can tear shit up from the jump. as much as i hated the sheamus push in the beg. of his career i realized that its pretty easy to feed the crowd someone as a main eventer, simply push it down our throats. it worked. the guy had a look and could work the ring. catching trips eye couldn't have hurt much either ;-) did it work with sheamus, hell yeh. swagger, oh hell no. sheamus was ring ready, it showed, even though i didn't like it at the time, i'm a big sheamus supporter now. kinda wish he was a heel again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back