• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Re-Signs Austin Aries to Long-Term Extension; Terms Not Disclosed

Aries, IMO, can carry himself verbally much better than Styles, and that's important at that level. Just go back and watch some of the promo spots in the Aries/Roode feud, or even the Aries/Ray feud (as short-lived as it was). It's not that AJ is especially bad, but he's he's not on the same level as Aries there, and again, that's one of the most important aspects of being the World Heavyweight Champion.

I made a thread about AJ, ooh, three years ago. I'll say again what I said then - AJ is seriously underrated in terms of charisma and microphone skills. I still hold up the Prince AJ period as an example of one of the best, most clearly defined characters that TNA has ever produced.

As for Aries, he's good, but he's still a bit clumsy at times. Most recently, he and Hogan were tripping over each other's lines a little bit. I'll not knock anyone who quiets the audience down so he can more clearly be heard too harshly, mind you.

I also disagree about the lack of dumb tattoos. Have you not seen the giant chinese letter on his upper arm?

http://media.insidepulse.com/old/columnImages2006/image28695.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Was actually thinking about this when I posted. Still, a chinese letter on your arm is a generic kind of dumb. Your own name tattooed on your ribs is a very special kind of dumb.

I made a thread about AJ, ooh, three years ago. I'll say again what I said then - AJ is seriously underrated in terms of charisma and microphone skills. I still hold up the Prince AJ period as an example of one of the best, most clearly defined characters that TNA has ever produced.

As for Aries, he's good, but he's still a bit clumsy at times. Most recently, he and Hogan were tripping over each other's lines a little bit. I'll not knock anyone who quiets the audience down so he can more clearly be heard too harshly, mind you.

I don't disagree with you, but when you juxtapose Styles to the other much more confident, much better speakers, the differences are striking. Styles is underrated, but he still pales in comparison to the better mic workers like Aries, Anderson, Daniels, Sting, Hogan, etc.

I pit Styles in line with a number of other performers who are adequate to good, but not great, including RVD, James Storm, Kurt Angle, etc.

Was actually thinking about this when I posted. Still, a chinese letter on your arm is a generic kind of dumb. Your own name tattooed on your ribs is a very special kind of dumb.

Well to be fair, AJ's tattoo is also for his kids (it has all their birth dates listed under it).

The last statement makes him a babyface in TNA. Smarks LOOOOVE jerks. They LOOOOOVE to say "I cheer him because he's a good heel". Aries IS the IWC character. That's what the IWC loves. If you were to create a wrestler that was what 90% of IWC fans want, it's Austin Aries. Arrogant, but "can still get it done in the ring". By "get it done in the ring" I mean, a bunch of moves and sells for maybe 30 seconds and totally ignores any and all selling and storytelling up to that point during the finishing run.

I don't care how long it took. Styles is done. He's not ever getting anymore over. If he would, it would have happened by now. Time to give Aries a shot because he has more personality than Styles and can really work the IWC character and style to a T.

I would hope wrestling feds would not be stupid enough to say "oh look the IWC and smarks love Aries, let's have him be our top guy!". They have a show to do and they have had a heel champ in Roode in forever, then they get a babyface champ and he acts like a heel? Maybe i'm wrong about this but I thought the fans wanted something else. Aries is not that different from Roode. Roode was a heel and a jerk but tons of fans admired him. Aries is a face that is cheered but acts like heel.

Aries, IMO, can carry himself verbally much better than Styles, and that's important at that level. Just go back and watch some of the promo spots in the Aries/Roode feud, or even the Aries/Ray feud (as short-lived as it was). It's not that AJ is especially bad, but he's he's not on the same level as Aries there, and again, that's one of the most important aspects of being the World Heavyweight Champion.

I also disagree about the lack of dumb tattoos. Have you not seen the giant chinese letter on his upper arm?

But what AJ doesn't have in promos, he compensate in intensity and heart. Look at the mini feud he had against Roode after Roode betrayed Storm. It was as compelling and believable as anything. But the thing that always AJ and his characters works is the fact that people like him a lot, he is TNA's golden boy and we always pull for him. So any storylines including him makes it instantly more believable.

And then you have AJ's incredible athletic abilities who to me, makes him unique in the wrestling field. Aries may have a better combo of wrestling and promos, etc...but the whole package doesn't make him special enough I think in the overall scheme of things while they were will never have another AJ by what he can do. If you add the familiarity aspect, I think AJ makes a better face champ. And I believe Storm will too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back