TNA Killing Their Own Hype?

Tougie

WZ Sexual Panther
Ok so for the second week in a row TNA in my ind has completely killed any hype and surprise/shock factor with their product. First, they show the Guns walking around backstage, then they announce Generation Me has a match next? Ok, so instead of expecting a decent or more wrestling match and maybe hoping the Guns come out and kick their ass, they basically tell us "Hey The Guns are here. And their probably gonna do something!"

So this week, I switched over to impact and tuned in during the knockouts match. So Mickie debuts like we all expected, and Taz says "As we saw Mickie arrived just a few moments ago." Seriously? What is up with TNA completely taking the shock factor out of their product. Do they really need to basically say "Hey this is going to happen next." Just to make people stick around?

I'm pretty sure TNA does this to keep you tuned in. I totally agree that it kills any shock. TNA has a lot of loyal fans including anyone who watches it on a weekly basis. I seriously don't hink their loyal fans are going to turn the channel during commercial and not return. For fuck sake TNA. Would they really tell us if the Rock returned after commercal? I'm suprised they kept the "they" angle a secret for so long. I mean how much more suprising would it have been to have Mickie show up? A lot more. But again, they just suck all the shock value out of their show. Fans will stay with you through and through, they aren't going anywhere. They will watch it even if they don't know what's happening next. I love TNA but stop doing this.

Ok so for the second week in a row TNA in my ind has completely killed any hype and surprise/shock factor with their product. First, they show the Guns walking around backstage, then they announce Generation Me has a match next? Ok, so instead of expecting a decent or more wrestling match and maybe hoping the Guns come out and kick their ass, they basically tell us "Hey The Guns are here. And their probably gonna do something!"
I swear you're the only person who had such a major issue with 2 minutes of footage. It doesn't matter, unless you actually thought the MCMG running out to get GenMe would've been shocking in the first place.

So this week, I switched over to impact and tuned in during the knockouts match. So Mickie debuts like we all expected, and Taz says "As we saw Mickie arrived just a few moments ago." Seriously? What is up with TNA completely taking the shock factor out of their product. Do they really need to basically say "Hey this is going to happen next." Just to make people stick around?
And in this situation you didn't even see her prior to her appearance at ringside and yet you still somehow have a problem? Dude, you are fucking dumb. The shock factor was fine people saw Mickie and said "oh she's here" then when she came out they went over "WHY!!!! She was there" how did it affect her debut at all? It didn't.

I agree 100%
they showed Mickie earlier in the show and the camera man asked what she as doing there. then during the Knockouts match, you had to KNOW Mickie was going to show up.
it would have been a lot more exciting/surprising/shocking if Tessmacher announced a special guest referee, and THEN Mickie mad her first TNA appearance. THAT would have been like OMG MICKIE JAMES!!!!!

I still don't find anything wrong with this. If my friends don't really dig TNA but loved Mickie James, I'd rather know 2 minutes before she was going to "Debut" than having her just pop up. Then, I can call said friend and he can tune in before it actually happens, instead of him missing her.

They're killing their own hype. But, it's not by "revealing" their "big" surprises. It's by having their own talent subconsciously burying their own brand. I hate seeing Reaction segments with TNA talent saying shit like, "We're steadily gaining fans. We're steadily become a big player." I mean no shit, but don't continually admit you're inferiority.

What are you talking about? They introduced Mickie as she "arrived" at the Impact Zone after the first segment. Then she came out after the KO tag match.. So how is that killing hype? Whats "hype" about a Knock Out? Its Eye Candy, thats it.

The hype you should have been paying attention to was the Contract that Dixie signed tonight..........

welllll people have short attentions spans with TNA so they gatta hint things to keep u intrested. Mickey james arrival sucked it could of been much better, they just did it that way to include her in BFG

Everyone knew Mickie was debuting. Even if they made her fly down the ring and shoot laser beams out of her eyes, it still wouldn't have been shocking. If some fan didn't know that Mickie was debuting, I'm sure they'd be shocked even if they saw her backstage.

So this week said:
It kinda did spoil the KO match. I figured she would come to join tara and Madison to even up the odds against lacey, angelina and velvet. But she came back as a special guest referee. It was kinda of a killer.:confused:

Maybe they are a little bit, but I think your being nitpicky. You act as if WWE has never done this. I remember the night that Eric Bischoff Debuted with WWE. Vince had announced earlier in the show that there would be a General manager for RAW and a General Manager for Smackdown. After Booker T lost his match he was being interviewed back stage when Eric Bischoff walks by and says "Hi Booker". the Booker T looks back at Terri (or was it Josh Matthews?) and says "Tell Me I Didn't Just See That" its not a big deal if you didnt know she was going to debut u would be just as pumped seeing her back stage for the first time as when they announced her as the ref.

Not everyone needs to hit the ring to their own entrance music unbeknownst to the world in order to have an effective début.

Ric Flair débuted in the exact same fashion as Mickie did — coming out of a car (a limo in Flair's case) on live television to the cheers of the crowd and "shock" of plenty.

Ok Reddannihilation enough with the name calling, back off!! Im tired of you coming in here and bashing other people.

Its a matter of opinion. Yes I knew she was going to be there tonight, and was looking forward to seeing what happens. I missed her walking in the back but Im sure it was not necessary.

Whether they showed her before or coming out after the KO match, it still added some shock value to those who DIDN'T KNOW she was debuting with them. My cousin saw her backstage moment and was shocked...I saw after the KO match and I was shocked at the announcement.

But yes you are right Tougie, TNA DOES drop hints that take away from what would be shock value. You are not wrong in posting this, its all just a matter of opinion and thats what these forums are for.

I swear you're the only person who had such a major issue with 2 minutes of footage. It doesn't matter, unless you actually thought the MCMG running out to get GenMe would've been shocking in the first place.

And in this situation you didn't even see her prior to her appearance at ringside and yet you still somehow have a problem? Dude, you are fucking dumb. The shock factor was fine people saw Mickie and said "oh she's here" then when she came out they went over "WHY!!!! She was there" how did it affect her debut at all? It didn't.

Ok first off, I dont have a major issue with it. If TNA wants to kill their hype and dont believe their product can hold a viewers attention through a commercial than Im sorry for them. And I never said it affected her debut, it completely killed the shock factor for people who actually use their mind and use something called common sense. Clearly something you didnt use when you posted here.

What are you talking about? They introduced Mickie as she "arrived" at the Impact Zone after the first segment. Then she came out after the KO tag match.. So how is that killing hype? Whats "hype" about a Knock Out? Its Eye Candy, thats it.

The hype you should have been paying attention to was the Contract that Dixie signed tonight..........
There is always hype when someone goes from WWE to TNA. Especially after the way James was treated before she was released. And yeah im going to be paying attention to a contract that will screw Dixie over and give Bischoff power over a situation and so on. Predictable so why pay attention to it

Maybe they are a little bit, but I think your being nitpicky. You act as if WWE has never done this. I remember the night that Eric Bischoff Debuted with WWE. Vince had announced earlier in the show that there would be a General manager for RAW and a General Manager for Smackdown. After Booker T lost his match he was being interviewed back stage when Eric Bischoff walks by and says "Hi Booker". the Booker T looks back at Terri (or was it Josh Matthews?) and says "Tell Me I Didn't Just See That" its not a big deal if you didnt know she was going to debut u would be just as pumped seeing her back stage for the first time as when they announced her as the ref.

I know WWE does this a lot, and its never surprising when they do. But for some reason out of no where TNA has begun to do this and make it completely obvious.

I don't think they Killed any Hype because most people knew she was going to debut anyway. Not everyone needs to come out and have it be a surprise to be effective. I thought that debut was good and it established her as a threat in the Knockout division.

Ok Reddannihilation enough with the name calling, back off!! Im tired of you coming in here and bashing other people.

You've been here two months and prior to today I had never even seen you before, what sort of creepy lurk-stalker are you? Sick fuck, probably got a basement full of kids that you make call you Uncle Cuddles. Gross.

ROHBot said:
Ok first off, I dont have a major issue with it.
You've just made two threads about it in under a week. Ok...

If TNA wants to kill their hype and dont believe their product can hold a viewers attention through a commercial than Im sorry for them.
Kill what hype? Have their been any announcements regarding her? Any video packages or anything? No? What hype? They haven't hyped anything about her.

And I never said it affected her debut, it completely killed the shock factor for people who actually use their mind and use something called common sense.
It never affected her debut but it killed the shock factor? HUH ZUH BAH GAH? Ok scenario you have no idea Mickie is showing up on iMPACT, then you see her, how are you going to be any more shocked if she'd come out to music? Like what? The people who knew she was going to debut already knew it, they've posted in this thread alternately people who don't use the internet for wrestling info had no idea so seeing her backstage is no different to seeing her at ringside. No harm done. Making mountains out of nothing.

There is always hype when someone goes from WWE to TNA. Especially after the way James was treated before she was released. And yeah im going to be paying attention to a contract that will screw Dixie over and give Bischoff power over a situation and so on. Predictable so why pay attention to it

Once again where was the Hype? If you knew she was signed with TNA, then you already knew. There was no need to hype. There was nothing that other then Internet reports that she was signed with TNA. People that don't read spoilers nor visit Wrestlezone type sites may have been surprised. That is if those people also watched WWE in the last 10 years.

Quite honestly, If I hadn't used this site to keep up with wrestling back stage, I would have no idea who Mickie James really was. Of the few times I have watched WWE since the Merger and downfall of WWE, I probably saw this lady once very early in her "cheer leader type" gimmick. Yea, so she was the champion several times. Once again what does this matter to me?

The fact that she wrestled in WWE does absolutely nothing for me. Nor does it matter. She is now in TNA. Whoopee dew. The only difference b/w her and Rosie Lotolove joining TNA for me is she looks good.

Lets suppose I really followed WWE closely. Lets also assume that I don't use this website. I don't know she got fired from WWE, and that her no compete clause has expired..

[Camera Cuts to outside. A car pulls up. Mickie James steps out.]
"Oh shit look who joined TNA. I've been wondering what happened to her. Awesome, sure am glad I tuned in on time to see it happen."

[Mickie is named guest Ref in a 4 way title match]
"Sweet, she just joined and is already being pushed to the "main event" of the KOs."

Done. Shock value for the uninformed, No hyped introduction for the poor smark. Hype has been in the build up to BFG. Hype has been in the "they" for the past several months. There was no need for an elaborate injection of her character. She was already over when she left WWE. Her hype is in the fact that she is being placed directly into the top feud of the KO division.

What? Should she have come dressed up like biker chick with a Mask and a helmet for a couple months? Just because you didn't particularly like the way they introduced her doesn't mean TNA is killing their own hype. All the TNA hype I've heard in the past few months is..... "TNA WILL BE CHANGED FOREVER." Sorry, Mickie didn't full fill that hype... Must be something else.

Oh Look, the milk has been spilled, here is a tissue.

[Tommy Dreamer appears in the stands, watching an RVD match]
Oh shit, look who joined TNA. I haven't seen in him a while. I Sure am glad I was tuned in on time to see it happen"

[Tommy Dreamer appears with other former members of ECW, in the stands watching an RVD match]
"Hmm looks like something is building. Some sort of ECW Hype is building..."

What would have killed that.... is Mike Tenay: "Tonight, we expect a special guest from ECW to join our crowd here in the Impact Zone. It is Tommy Dreamer We also expect to put on an ECW PPV in a couple months."

Tonight, TAZ: "Don't worry guys. This sunday at BFG, Eric Bishoff will be taking over TNA. Be sure to buy buy buy..."

No instead they hyped up that fact with a pseudo pink slip signing.

Stay Tuned......

Were talking about it . so the hype works . In a fucked up way of marketing that Russo and Bischoff mastered in the 90's if they are talking about you your doing something right to them it's only about the ratings.

Ratings = money so Twitter spaming Dixie and Jeff do to the over hype of Tenay on impact are their cost effective ways of marketing their product to the wrestling viewer.

You've been here two months and prior to today I had never even seen you before, what sort of creepy lurk-stalker are you? Sick fuck, probably got a basement full of kids that you make call you Uncle Cuddles. Gross.

You've just made two threads about it in under a week. Ok...

Kill what hype? Have their been any announcements regarding her? Any video packages or anything? No? What hype? They haven't hyped anything about her.

It never affected her debut but it killed the shock factor? HUH ZUH BAH GAH? Ok scenario you have no idea Mickie is showing up on iMPACT, then you see her, how are you going to be any more shocked if she'd come out to music? Like what? The people who knew she was going to debut already knew it, they've posted in this thread alternately people who don't use the internet for wrestling info had no idea so seeing her backstage is no different to seeing her at ringside. No harm done. Making mountains out of nothing.

Yeah I thing your forgetting one thing. Not everyone visits sites like WZ. Not everyone looks at spoilers. Is hype the wrong word? Probably. But since when did it become the normal to show people before they debut in the company? Its not that hard to guess when she was going to walk out.

Did you watch much WCW and WWE during the 90s? They showed people getting out of limozines ALLL the time when they'd switch companies...

Then you'd hear Tony or JR say, "Oh my god, did you see who that was?"

Yeah I thing your forgetting one thing. Not everyone visits sites like WZ. Not everyone looks at spoilers.
Actually I'm pretty sure I addressed that.

Is hype the wrong word? Probably. But since when did it become the normal to show people before they debut in the company? Its not that hard to guess when she was going to walk out.

Didn't Eric Bischoff debut in the WWE the exact same way? Didn't the Radicalz sit at ringside when they made their debut? You clearly said TNA killed the hype, on things that weren't hyped up. That in itself is reason to end the thread, for any viewer at home what would've changed if they'd seen Mickie come out during the Knockouts match rather than seeing her backstage? Answer nothing.

I agree 100%
they showed Mickie earlier in the show and the camera man asked what she as doing there. then during the Knockouts match, you had to KNOW Mickie was going to show up.
it would have been a lot more exciting/surprising/shocking if Tessmacher announced a special guest referee, and THEN Mickie mad her first TNA appearance. THAT would have been like OMG MICKIE JAMES!!!!!

Last time I checked, everyone complained that TNA does to many surprise debuts and they don't advertised it beforehand. They pulled a surprised debut with Flair, Hardy, RVD, etc.

Now, they advertised a debut or return and it's still a problem. Typical. Besides, it was still a surprise to people who did not see her entering the Orlando Studios earlier in the show.

It's not a big deal. Just because 5 people thought it ruined shock value, doesn't mean millions around the world feel the same.

Actually I'm pretty sure I addressed that.

Didn't Eric Bischoff debut in the WWE the exact same way? Didn't the Radicalz sit at ringside when they made their debut? You clearly said TNA killed the hype, on things that weren't hyped up. That in itself is reason to end the thread, for any viewer at home what would've changed if they'd seen Mickie come out during the Knockouts match rather than seeing her backstage? Answer nothing.

Unless Im remembering wrong, WWE didnt show the Radicalz backstage before the first appeared. They just came out of no were and sat there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back