Third Round - Toronto: Catch As Catch Can Classic - Goldberg vs. Dusty Rhodes

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Goldberg

• Dusty Rhodes

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a Third Round match in the Toronto Region.

Rules: This is pretty much the most complex match in the whole tournament as it is only based on a WCW match that happened once. This is as close to an amateur match as you could ask for, which is the point of wrestling no? There will be one minute rounds. There will be no limit on the amount of potential rounds. There are three ways to win: pinfall, which in this case only requires a one count. The other is your opponent being disqualified. This can happen in multiple ways. If a wrestler attempts to avoid contact, he can be disqualified. If he touches the floor through any method other than being knocked or thrown to the floor, he is disqualified. If someone intentionally throws someone to the floor, he is disqualified (note: being knocked to the floor via a strike does NOT equal a disqualification). Finally, there are no closed fist punches. The third way to win is standard submission. Sorry for all the rules. Feel free to ask any questions in case I left something out etc.

skydome_light.jpg

Goldberg

goldberg.jpg

Vs.

Dusty Rhodes

Dusty-Rhodes-DVD-screen1.jpg

Voting is open for 4 days.

DirtyJose.... I'm sorry.... I love you.

Look, the basic premise of Bill Goldberg, for the most part, was that absolutely no one could take the man off his feet. Perhaps that's a bit of hyperbole, but this man was, quite frankly, the Immovable object. This was a man that just never got taken down, whatsoever.

Not only that, but Goldberg's arsenal actually relies more on elbows and kicks. He never really had to use a closed fist, as he typically used his elbows more to attack people. Dusty, meanwhile, based his offense around punches, and shaking his pelvis. Either one of two things are going to happen; Dusty gets disqualified for his open fists, or Goldberg winds up outlasting Dusty. There's really no other way this match is going down, really.

Dusty Rhodes has nothing in his repertoire that even remotely resembles anything close to amateur wrestling. Goldberg is the superior striker, the superior mat wrestler, and he actually has a submission move that could reasonably be put on his opponent.

This match is more then enough proof to show that Goldberg should, and would win this match.

[YOUTUBE]GzwQie2fW9s[/YOUTUBE]

Goldberg would win what would undoubtedly be a shoot yourself in the face abomination of a match. Basically, neither man has an advantage in a amateur style setting really. One of them is a chiselled adonis, and the other one is a big sweaty fat bastard. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Goldberg is going to last longer, does it? He'll win too.

Goldberg would win what would undoubtedly be a shoot yourself in the face abomination of a match. Basically, neither man has an advantage in a amateur style setting really. One of them is a chiselled adonis, and the other one is a big sweaty fat bastard. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Goldberg is going to last longer, does it? He'll win too.

Actually, Dusty is renowned for his stamina, he's worked many, many 60 minute broadways. Goldberg, on the other hand, has not, and with all that muscle mass, it's really hard to maintain stamina, especially since GOldberg seems to be more of the fast-twitch, explosive type of muscular, which is good for football, but not really conducive to amateur wrestling or stamina in general.

That said, the rules in general favor Goldberg. Dusty is infamous for taking crazy amounts of punishment before pulling out the win, but there's not much opportunity for coming back here. Big spear-like tackle for Billy Goldberg and a quick pin. Sadly, too, because I LOVE Big Dusty.

After I read the rules for this match and all that, when I played the match in my head, Goldberg immediately hit a spear and won the match, so I'll have to go with Goldberg.

Have to echo Tasty. If this match was to take place and not end in the first 5 secs with a Goldberg spear it could be the worst match in wrestling history.

The video Big Sexy posted above is proof. What a horrid contest. Clearly WCW were trying to flesh out Goldberg's in-ring style by having him actually wrestle but even against one of the best wrestling technicians in William Regal, Goldberg just looked awful and any attempts to produce a 'wrestler' were set aside in favour of the war machine that Goldberg became

I have to say it pained me so much to vote for Goldberg, but all these arguments are very convincing, especially if he could get the jackhammer, or even just a roll up, quick pin would take it, and I don't see Goldberg going to the ground so easily.

My vote goes for Goldberg in this one as well, I think he'll be able to finish this one rather quickly to be honest, while Dusty is certainly a talent of his own right, he's no amateur wrestler, neither is Goldberg, but even with my lack of amateur wrestling rule knowledge, I still believe a take down like the spear, would be pretty allowed.. right?

Even if it isn't, Goldberg's intensity would be able to play off well for him, and would ultimately put Dusty down.

This gimmick match favors Goldberg, HEAVILY.

Basically, this is a Greco-Roman wrestling match. Well, those types of matches requires power and a good center of gravity. Both of those factors are everything that the American Dream is NOT. Goldberg should crush Dusty here.

Goldberg wins, and it's a massacre. Probably the quickest match of this round.

This match most definitely favors Bill Goldberg and I can't think of a logical reason to vote for Dusty Rhodes. I know that Dusty Rhodes is a legend, I know that he's had over a combined total of 60 runs with well known and prestigious NWA championships but he's just so far out of his element here.

This is a match in which the stronger and more athletic wrestler has a clear advantage and that's Goldberg. While neither Rhodes or Goldberg can be classified as great mat technicians, Goldberg's MMA training could really be brough to bear here. Truth is, this would probably be a pretty dull match as both guys are out of their element, but I just don't see Rhodes going over Goldberg.

No way Goldberg comes close to losing here. He's more or less the last man you want to be stuck in the ring face to face against with nowhere to go. Dusty was a pretty big guy, but Goldberg would just overpower him and exert his will here. Literally the perfect gimmick for him He may actually go far in this thing. Who knew?

Spear. Pin. Win. Goldberg.

Clearly the rules give the edge to Goldberg, who's be better mat wrestler and striker out of the two.

Goldberg's intensity and power won't even allow Dusty to mount much of an offense nonetheless get Goldberg to the ground for a pin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back