The wrong customer is right when it comes to WWE.

From the birth of pro wrestling to now there has been one constant: The Top Babyface. Whether it was Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Sting, The Rock or, finally, John Cena. This will continue on and on until the sport ends if that ever happens.

Something changed in the 90's. The rules were bent so that there was lots more variety to choose from in our face characters. The Anti hero like Stone Cold or Sting and others were created.

Before then people either did good acts or bad acts and were cheered accordingly. That's the black and white of it anyway. If, however, the crowd were to cheer on a heel then their character was rapidly changed to stay that way.

When Stone Cold Steve Austin delivered his victory speech at King of the Ring. He was cheered for it. Austin 3:16 signs were in every arena but due to the fact that it was his attitude being cheered, they just left it alone and let it happen naturally. Like a young child moving up into high school, they find what works with their classmates and they stick with it. If not, they're buried and ignored by everyone except the guys who beat them up every week. In wrestling terms, thats a choice between superstar or jobber.

The reason behind this change was what the crowd wanted. But that seems to have gone now which, in my mind, makes the littlest possible sense.

The internet is florishing. They way to vocalise ourselves now is amazingly simple. Think how our parents used to do things at our age. Phones, Letters, Actually getting face to face to talk about it. Hunting down places who discussed things like this if none of their friends did. That's my situation, I'm one of a few people in my social circle who watch wrestling so I use forums to counter that. I can talk football or movies in the local pub with anyone but wrestling? Not so easy. How do I find a forum? I googled it. It was a two minute job and I get all of you to listen to what I have to say whether you like it or not.

John Cena has been getting mixed reviews for years. This isn't one of those threads. I don't really want it to happen as they'd do it wrong anyway. Or he would. WWE didn't listen. Instead things were done based on merchandise sales. Which is possibly the worst thing to listen to for the sport.

Cena sells lots of orange shit.
Orton Sells lots of Viper shit.
Mysterio sells Masks.
Jeff Hardy sold T-Shirts.
DX sold pretty much anything endorsable.

All of them were faces... huge faces. I'd call that a tie between right and wrong for business. Cena, Mysterio and Hardy are all perfect faces and work it very well. Cena's Never Give Up thing is encouraging for everyone. Mysterio is brilliant for children as he's a little man making it big. Jeff fit the misfit hero very well making people feel ok to be a little different. I know he's no longer in the WWE but he fits perfectly for this.

Orton, Triple H and Shawn Michaels were all great heels. Sure, Michaels did both roles fantastic but another heel run would have been exciting to watch.

But because of sales, they turned them all face, in Triple H's case and I'm sure others, against their wills too.

So the arguement I'm making is that they should listen to the crowds reaction and decide from there. Well, what about Randy Orton? That was fan decided wasn't it? Well, yes and no. Yes, they did cheer him a lot but that was during a feud against Legacy who the fans just hadn't seen anything good from. Orton himself was cheered for when he was leaving Evolution but this time, the crowd were backing the young lion. He was cheered, his T-Shirts were purchased more than before and they didn't do anything to stop what was happening. They didn't even try to keep one of the most perfect heels in years instead they watched the dollar signs roll.

They should have had him do dispicable acts again after Wrestlemania. They should have let him punt a few faces and listened to how the crowd reacted. If, and only if, they chanted his name even after that. Put him in a feud similar to the one he had with Kofi Kingston and see if the reaction was any different and if then he T-Shirt sales still soared and his name was chanted around all arenas. Then turn him face. The way it was done is poor and unbelievable.

I really cannot find any reason to believe rumours that Cena is going to turn with the whole Nexus thing. The storyline on Smackdown that Rey is the one who put down The Undertaker will most definitely not be the case (My money is on Kane himself) and the simple reason is that the kids wearing orange and multicoloured lucha masks will just stop buying it.

It's almost as if the writers just can't be arsed building up another face to get those sales. It would be easy. They just cant see past the hear and now. Say Cena did go heel. Turn Chris Jericho. He's being cheered recently. He's quick to put a stop to it each week but it's definitely heard. A couple of Raw is Jericho's and Ayatollah's and the kid's would be putty in his hand. There would be Jerichoholics in every corner of the world... if that word is still acceptable that is.

This is the rocky foundation the WWE is built upon and it's creating quite the paradox. Despite the WWE being nowhere near collapse, it's losing fans and not gaining new ones. I've said a fair few times before that as a kid watching todays product, it wouldn't have hooked me the same as it did in 1998. Sure some kids will watch what their dads or older brothers are watching but that wasn't me. I got into this all by myself. That market is certainly missing right now in my eyes. Also missing are the none internet fans of my age or older. I watch for many different reasons since becoming part of the IWC. before, it was still real. I didn't know who other feds had or who was currently in developmental. Debuts were a huge deal and storylines were just brilliant... perhaps that last part is still true for back then. Now I watch for workrate and mic skills and I spot mistakes and improvisations from a mile away. I have watched plenty of old school matches and matches from other countries. Friends from school who watched back then no longer watch because they never logged onto forums and learnt all this. Because of those missing fans, the WWE will keep on letting the merch sales dictate who is the top baby face and who isn't. The money it's losing on those missing fans who'd fill the shows which regularly don't sell out it's gaining in the shops.

I personally believe that if they dropped this plan and went back to letting us have a fair say in what we want to see the product would improve naturally.

I agree with you completely what WWE is doing know is going to hurt them 5 maybe 10 years from know when all those kids grown up and the old wrestling fans will quit watching. IMO the E' needs to do something to get back the old fans, sure the Nexus angle is something new, and fresh, and exciting and it has actually made me want to watch RAW just for the pure fact that I won't to know who they will take out next and if Cena will get beat up.(I'm not bashing Cena here, I respect him for all the work he's done within the company itself, it's just his superman gimmick got old). I think the E' should take the Nexus angle as a hint since ratings have been improving. Another thing the E' should do is turn Cena. Yes, this does have a possibility of happening especially since Cena has been fueding with Nexus and letting Orton take his place. Sure, the kids won't buy Cena's stuff anymore, but what makes the E' think that older fans wouldn't if they got to see Cena go around and ambush a bunch of the other top faces.

For those who "tl;dr" I pretty much said WWE needs to change their top faces, they have done it before and it's done wonders

I've been down on WWE for a few years, but I do think they have vastly improved. The only thing I don't like about Nexus is the fact that I have to see David Otunga every week.
As far as them being hurt 5 to 10 years from now, I don't think so. They have been doing a good job of making new stars recently. But as far as the original topic goes, wrestling is a business, of course they are going to put the most focus on who makes them the most money.

The thing that annoys me is that WWE keeps Cena face being he sells merchandise and makes them money, therefor, they keep him like that. Improving your god damn product and listening to the fans in the end will look, feel, and be better in the long run (it's a shame watching what should be the most cheered guy being mostly booed by fans day in and day out). A heel Cena may interest more fans and make the business money that way, but no, just because every god damn kid wants a shirt, they keep it like that. Like seriously, kids will cheer and boo whoever they are suppose to. Turn him heel, make things interesting, and create another baby face for the kids to look up to and buy their merch. They turned Hogan heel and he sold merchandise, that didn't make them bankrupt. Turn Cena fucking heel and improve the product. I understand it is a business and money is the key, but seriously, you run a scripted television show, make that fun to watch. You will make more money with a better product than just selling shirt after shirt to little kids with a stale face of the company. KIDS WILL BUY A FACE'S MERCHANDISE NO MATTER WHAT! With Cena heel, make some random nobody a babyface, and kids will buy that person's merchandise. May not make the same amount of money, but it will make the product better.

I have a small thing I wanna point out before I get on with my reply. Randy Orton was over as a face even when he was feuding with John Cena, so to say that it was just because of his feud with Legacy, that's incorrect.

But while I do agree that the fans should have some kind of saying in it all, I don't see why they should be able to decide who turns heel in that manner. Sure they should have the saying in who turns face, because in the end, if you cheer them, you're saying they're marketable in the merchandise section. Which in the end is what matters. Money matters to all companies. So of course WWE should also prioritize on what brings in the money (Which is primarily why Cena is still a face).

However they shouldn't be allowed to decide who's turned heel in that manner that "Sure they're a good heel or has potential". Well that doesn't mean it should happen. Triple H has been a heel for the majority of his career. But he has been a face for the majority of the last 5 years, that's about it.

The only time that it really makes sense to have a heel Triple H (At least if I have a say in this) is when he's a world champion. He is a great heel world champion, but he has better things to do when he's not a world champion. Sure he could put youngsters over through being a heel. But right now for example, the majority of the future upcoming talent are filled with heels. Therefore you market him as a face.

That is really what makes sense for a lot of the faces, they're marketed as faces because while they're faces, they're available to make the future, which consists largely of faces right now (At least on RAW - Sheamus, Miz, DiBiase, Smackdown is a mixture - Ziggler, Cody, Jack, Drew, but also Kofi).

So while it might make sense to bring back some decisions made by the fans, in the end, there still are some. We still get to cheer and boo who we want and WWE listens to it, as long as it makes sense. They turned Batista heel because, he wasn't the money cow, as well as he was hated like hell. So it made sense.

But in the end of the day. Vince and the rest of the WWE shouldn't primarily listen to the fans, they shouldn't go in the direction of what they did in the 90's just because we had a lot of choices, and a lot of people to turn to, doesn't mean that they're all the people that makes sense to market for the company.

I think they are following the trend and age. Its PG rated, so the kids are young now, they like Cena, Orton, Rey etc for the reasons mentioned above. Although its probably the older guys liking Orton more. But then the kids get older and they will be telling their friends more about wrestling, and their friends might take a look at it too. Then 1 of 2 things could happen. The cool babyfaces to the kids could go heel because the older audience will be predominant and he'll get booed even more. Or WWE moves out of PG.

But they aren't stupid though. They know how to make money, whether we think its right or wrong. And i'm sure that the WWE superstars would not have minded going face because they too make money from the merchandise sales.

It's funny how all of you sit at your computers and tell a billion dollar corporation that they don't know what they're doing....Really?!? Trust them, they know how to run a business 10 Trillion times better than any of you "experts".

You WATCH wrestling and because 10% of the fanbase comes onto these forums to complain over and over and over about every little thing they don't like, somehow, you think you can predict the future of a BUSINESS.

YOU may not like it. YOU may think it's lame. But MILLIONS of kids have a good 10-15 years of merchandise and PPV buys in them before they grow out of their love for wrestling, just like you guys. BUT, in that time period, WWE will make billions and when those kids are grown up and in these forums complaining, a new generation of impressionable cash machines will be sucked into the merchandising machine known as the WWE....a very successful business.

And THAT is what it's about. Cash Money.

I just don't think you guys know what you're talking about. Millions of people watch wrestling, some years the ratings will be higher than others, some years not. Sometimes there will be great storylines and sometimes not. Right now the numbers are ok, but merchandise is huge- why would the company not want to exploit merchandise sales. It doesnt matter if orton or cena or mysterio or anyone is heel or face. Theres not a big wrestling boom right now. When another Rock, Austin, or Hogan comes along and ratings skyrocket, maybe WWE will be more interested in a better storyline- but until then let them make money in other areas.

It's funny how all of you sit at your computers and tell a billion dollar corporation that they don't know what they're doing....Really?!? Trust them, they know how to run a business 10 Trillion times better than any of you "experts".

You WATCH wrestling and because 10% of the fanbase comes onto these forums to complain over and over and over about every little thing they don't like, somehow, you think you can predict the future of a BUSINESS.

YOU may not like it. YOU may think it's lame. But MILLIONS of kids have a good 10-15 years of merchandise and PPV buys in them before they grow out of their love for wrestling, just like you guys. BUT, in that time period, WWE will make billions and when those kids are grown up and in these forums complaining, a new generation of impressionable cash machines will be sucked into the merchandising machine known as the WWE....a very successful business.

And THAT is what it's about. Cash Money.

Yeah, we're called "Smarks" for a reason who like the business but want to discuss somethings. Just like NBA, NFL, NHL you know those guys? They have radio shows, we have Wrestlezone :). Getting back to the point I think WWE is following a formula that they have followed since the 80's. The golden age was all about the kids and the muscle men, action figurery, larger than life characters. Then came Attitude where the kids grew up and came in the era of Stone Cold, then toned it down and went back to PG with Cena. It's a pattern. Pardon the pun but it's like a viper shedding his skin. WWE does that in order to garner new fans when the fuel is running out. Attidude era was over so what did they do? They said fuck you to Attitude and went to teletubbies. The merch sales in my opinion is what SHOULD decide who is the top face because merch sales essentially means that the people are interested in the wrestler to the point that they wanna buy his T-shirts. I have another opinion of why Randy was turned face. To shut "smarks" up. They HATED Cena (Face) and LOVED Orton (Heel) and so they turned Orton face to maintain the Heel-Face status quo. Now, eventually Cena will be out of style. Not today, not tommorow but eventually kids will be like "Meh..." about Cena as they will grow up and lose interest in cartoons and sillines. When that happens they will do the unthinkable and turn him heel like they did with Hogan except MAYBE people will still cheer. When the kids grow up, the forumal will be the same. PG will turn Attitude, Money will still roll in. That's how WWE shits on every other wrestling corporation today.

Though, I understand what this thread is saying, I think the WWE made a sound business decision. With $$ and appeasing investors as the bottom line, the WWE must go where the $$ is. Kids. And in that, they are doing just fine.
They are very successful in their sales tactics. They have millions of fans.
They have a face that appeals to every type of kid.
Even most average wrestling fans gets into the WWE.

Its us purists who are getting left behind. But with the rating change, the wellness policy, and change of guard, we either adapt, or start following grassroot independent wrestling. i suspect WWE won't be changing anytime soon...plus, i think there getting better at creating storylines in this new pg ERA.

Wasn't the nWo in WCW a huge heel faction? Didn't they cheat every chance they got? Weren't they also responsible for about 90% of all WCW merchandise sales? The same people that threw their beer cups in the ring at Hollywood Hogan because he attacked Sting are the same people who rushed out to by nWo T-shirts. You can be a heel and sell a crapload of merchandise. You don't have to be a face to do that. You just have to give the audience something they want. Basically, I think the premise that you have to be a face in order to sell T-shirts is flawed.

I agree with Davi323, the NWO had fans that would pay money just to go throw shit at them. They were the definition of heels. As far as that translates to Cena, I don't know how much merchandise he would sell as a heel, simply for the fact that all the people who love to cheer heels, have hated the very mention of his name for years. Personally, I would love to see him as a heel, but I also don't mind him at all right now. The only thing I never liked about him was a few years ago when every single week Bischoff had him in these impossible matches and he always overcame the odds. That got old fast.

WWE is not going to listen to its customers because their is no where else to go, its like everyone on here is the disgruntled teen and WWE is the parent who knows you gotta play by my rules or you have no where else to go.... (WWE doesnt look at TNA as a threat)

As for people claiming its a wresting cycle from the golden age, to attitude, to PG and the cycle will continue you could not be any farther off attitude era happened because desperation will cause a man to do anything when he is sinking faster then he can swim back to the surface. WWE was getting murdered left and right WCW had a cruiserweight division so the attracted the hispanic crowd, the had good in ring workers for the purist, the four horseman for the oldies, and the NWO as the new generation shock wave, the only reason Attitude ever happened was because putting on a mediocre program as they do currently would have resulted in total failure.

WWE knows that they won and they got a whole lot of unwanted attention from it as a young kid entering my teenage years I remember seeing VKM on the news ALL THE TIME for the content that he was allowing on WWE programming. And its obvious he didn't do it JUST because thats what fans wanted he did it because fans would want that just a little more than WCW.

As far as the wrong customers being right??? I have been saying this for years and im sure everyone on this forum will go ape-shit on me for it but its TRUE the internet ruined pro wrestling. No body can just watch the damn show anymore everyone has to critique, no one can just enjoy vignette of a new wrestler coming into to the company instead they need to compare him/her to their old character, or go watch youtube videos to see them in their past endeavors, they need to talk about the back stage poltics, the writers, whose booking, whose to old, who takes up to much camera time etc...

Have you guys ever wondered just how many times the internet and people such as us talking about it has most likely f*cked us out of a potential storyline. Christian returning to WWE to help edge during the edge/ jeff hardy storyline shot down due to it being all over the internet so he goes to ECW, Ken Kennedy getting the push to be Vinces son shot down because of the internet just to name a few, the facts are it doesnt matter what people like us on our computers think........

I know alot of people are going to get their boxers in a twist but its true..... i was watching wrestling the other day with my girls friend and she sits with me and ask me what so entertaining about this, as i try to explain why something that is predetermined can be exciting? my response at the end was i been watching it since i was 4 years old so its just kinda stuck with being exciting for me.... Wrestling is for children I know thats a very hard concept to grasp especailly for people in my age group or older who STRONGLY feel otherwise but it is.... you watch when your young so you get caught up in pro wresting an you continue to watch regardless until you reach that age where you arent dumb enough to watch a crappy programming if the events are not up to par, yes there are some exception ECW isnt for kids but ECW wasn't being tuned into on mondays like a football game, and again the attiude era was desperation to stay alive, WWE isn't going to listen to its fans its going to give its what they think is best and as long as the fans do boo and riot the storyline/gimmick/ heel or face turn out of the ring its going to stay

I agree with the OP and agree that the WWE shouldnt base a superstar's success on merchandise sales, they should actually listen to the audience. Although the only time lately i hear cena sucks is at pay per views, i usually dont hear boos on raw anymore. And What the OP doesnt understand is Orton has been getting cheered from day one. I just rewatched vengeance from 2003 (as god awful of a ppv as that was), randy was facing edge. During this time randy was the cocky stuck up evolution heel. That crowd was chanting lets go orton the whole match and the majority actually boo'd edge when edge won. Youtube it to find out for yourself. Randy was getting cheered when he rko'd, ddt'd and kiss stephanie. Like its been said before randy could punt a baby in the head and still get cheered, in fact the only way i can see randy getting a heel reaction would be facing taker at mania which everyone opposite of him gets boo'd or a mixed reaction. Even then orton would more then likely just get a mixed reaction. The wwe turned him because they thought "No matter what this guy does people will just not boo him". Randy despises being a face he has made that clear, but the only way he can ever hope for a heel reaction again would be if the fans pulled the same thing with Cena and just started booing him for being stale and repetitive. Which i dont see happening at all in the near future, im one of the millions that tunes into RAW to see an RKO! :worship:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back