The Unhealthy Relationship Between Sports and Domestic Violence.

GI Cake

Thank God For Sodamy.
I figured I should start this thread up before Haiku comes back armed to the teeth for another crusade or what have you.

In light of recent events, the sports world has been set ablaze by the NFL ruling a measly two game suspension for Raven's Runningback, Ray Rice for the alleged domestic abuse between himself and his wife (then girlfriend.) By alleged, I mean the turd knocked her out and dragged her body around like a rag doll through a hotel.

First Take's Stephen A Smith (a well documented douchebag) commented on the domestic abuse spat, saying (and paraphrasing here) that "Domestic abuse is not okay, but women should learn not to provoke violence." Yeah, because somehow women should always be blamed for whenever an athlete smacks them around. It's probably they're fault anyway.

Without getting carried away, Stephen A. Smith has more than often taking the unpopular side of domestic abuse scandals and sided with the man. Notable cases being Chad Johnson in 2012, and Floyd Mayweather Jr (whenever piece of shit Mayweather feels the need to knock a woman around anyway)

What is really getting to me is that in light of Josh Gordan's year long suspension, ESPN and the media were quick to hop onto the train that Josh has "personal issues he needs to resolve" or "needs to find himself" but in the same breath call domestic violence a "bad mistake" or soften the blow. (Unlike Ray Rice or Mayweather who like to throw haymakers at their girlfriends)

What's your take on all of this guys, you think piece of shit Ray Rice is getting off too easy? Does the punishment fit the crime? Is Mayweather a massive piece of shit?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much shit does Stephen A Smith spew out of his pie hole on a daily basis?

This situation shows a complete lack of perspective and proportionality in the NFL’s head offices. Like Don Jones for example. While I didn't agree with his remarks, Jones didn’t break any laws, and yet at least theoretically faced the end of his career had he not backed down and submitted to counseling before any reinstatement.

Plaxico Burress broke the law but hadn’t been tried yet only hurt himself, and yet drew a four game suspension before the case went to court, and even before he’d been indicted.

Ray Rice assaulted his wife to the point of unconsciousness, and yet only drew a fixed two-game suspension, with no requirement to complete his therapy as a prerequisite for his return.

It’s an absurd outcome. The NFL seems more concerned about mean tweets than domestic assault, and has only situational respect for due process.

Either the NFL should entirely ignore what happens off the field when it comes to disciplinary matters, or get a much better grip on its priorities.

Stephen A is a friend of mine(Fellow WSSU alumni) so I have no comment.

This speech by Gordon Strachan (manager of Scotland's national football team) at the World Cup was in light of Uruguay defending Luis Suarez after he bit an opposing player on the field and subsequently received a 4 month ban from any footballing activities.

He raises an interesting point in that we will all have had players for teams we support do things that we shouldn't condone or should be more outraged about but ultimately the thrive for success, either commercial or in competition, means that a lot of people will support players for things they really shouldn't.

In terms of victim blaming (or avoidance of putting too much blame on the perpetrator) I think the tables are gradually starting to turn in terms of everyday people reluctant to dismiss the behaviour of famous personalities as attributable to their 'personal demons' or 'issues they have to work on'.

This has been an awful off-season for Ravens players, and perhaps it's indicative of a culture. John Harbaugh and Ozzie Smith are, for all appearances, class guys who run a tight ship. As of right now, I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. The Ravens don't have any Josh Gordons who just keep screwing up. A handful of guys just messed up all at once. Just as last year's mediocre campaign was atypical of the Harbaugh regime, this embarrassing off-season had better be an aberration. The Ravens have often been named among the best organizations in the NFL, though I doubt that kind of praise will be headed their way again anytime soon. As a fan, though, I'll support the team through thick and thin and applaud all of the players (even guys who f'ed up, as long as they show genuine contrition, don't become multiple recidivists, and aren't found guilty of a felony). Don't let me down again, Ray.

On topic, as far as the ubiquity of domestic abuse by professional athletes and the soft stance the leagues/media take are concerned, the evidence seems to support both. Maybe there's a link between being an extremely wealthy young alpha male who was bred to be aggressive and treating women poorly. Whatever the cause is, it should be remedied ASAP. Roger Goodell can't be sitting in his office with his eyes closed and his fingers in his ears. Well, he could, but sponsors, females fans, and journalists are zeroed in now. If the NFL or any league (except boxing, which sadly needs Mayweather to survive ((support GGG, people!)) fails to respond to any future incidents akin to this whole Ray Rice debacle with anything less than quick and harsh action, the backlash will be exponentially worse than what the NFL is facing right now. Considering all that has happened in the wake of Rice's heinous act (Stephen A. Smith is a tard), I'd wager that everyone who pays the least bit of attention to the NFL is aware of the domestic violence issue in the league and at large if they weren't before. So now's the time for all sports leagues and pro athletes to step up and cut that shit out.

There was a story to break today about an MMA fighter called Josh Grispi who not only assaulted his wife but then went a step further and set his pit bull after her in a pretty violent attack.

I think the problem these athletes have that cause the situations like this is that they have way too much spare time outside of training and that can lead to athletes maybe drinking more (not saying all cases of domestic abuse are alcohol accelerated) to limits where things can go from 0 to 100 within seconds and athletes are known to be fairly emotional people due to the fact that they pour everything they have in most cases to becoming successful.

I think the NFL is a shady organization. You should never get suspended longer for smoking weed than knocking a woman out. I don't care if it's your 100th weed infraction.

Rice, Rapelisberger, Ray Lewis, Hernandez, there are a lot of pieces of shits in the NFL.

Our culture, in general, lets famous people off easy. Even in the lower levels. Dorial Green-Beckham was released from the Missouri Tigers football team for shoving a woman down the stairs and for several drug infractions, what happens? Oklahoma picks him up and they are appealing his year suspension. It's stupid.

Pieces of shit get a free pass if they're "talented".

I don't think being an athlete leads to domestic violence. It may be that people who have high levels of testosterone are both more likely to be great athletes, and more likely to be violent. However, I don't think there is a direct link to sports making someone violent. I believe it's called collinearity.

Even when they don't get off completely, they'll serve the little punishment they've been handed down. Then all of a sudden, they've found god, or something like that to try and endear themselves to the audience/fans.

They're often surrounded by yes men who are too afraid to be honest, so they are able to let loose and do whatever they want because there isn't anyone who's going to stop them. Once they're home, it's the same thing. They let loose and because they're able to do whatever they can they can outside of the house, that mentality is brought home.

Why is this so common with football players and professional wrestlers?

One side-effect of steroid use is aggressive and irrational behavior.

It's my theory but I think steroid use is much more widespread in football than in any other major sport. As it obviosuly is in professional wrestling as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back