The Undertaker: Greatest Legend Ever?

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
Obviously there have been legends that have contributed more to the business of professional wrestling. People like Hogan, Flair, and Austin just to name a few.

However, last week on Smackdown; HHH said that at WrestleMania, he was going up against the greatest legend that this business has ever seen. Then, I was watching an old clip of 'Taker on SD! and while he was walking to the ring, Michael Cole said, "Ladies and gentleman there is no legend greater, no mystique better, no myth truer, then that of the Legendary Phenom, The Undertaker".

That got me thinking: In terms of respect, admiration, fan fair, mystique, longevity, and overall career, is the Undertaker the greatest legend of all time?

i would have to agree with you. undertaker has been taken care of in the wwe, he has captivated people whether they hate him or like him. with wrestle mania for instance, whether you like taker or not you always wanna see if his streak is broken. his championship reigns, meh, not so big on that and a lil short lived on most of them, but still, wrestlemania is the big thing, and at that event, taker shines brighter then all. guys like flair, austin, triple hhh, hogan, the rock, road warriors, ultimate warrior, andre the giant, cena, big show, etc; have done alot for the company and they are legends, but compared to taker, he towers above the rest them all.

Yes, The Undertaker is the greatest legendary wrestler in professional wrestling.

He is also the greatest 'character' pro wrestling has ever seen. I don't think I could picture anyone else with the deadman gimmick. People on here have said there should be a successor but I don't think there should, he is too great to try and re create.

He has had many memorable matches, feuds, cuts some awesome promos and has done pretty much everything in WWF/E except for a couple of things but that doesn't matter.

The Undertaker demands attention like nobody else and I believe when he is gone from WWE, it won't feel the same knowing the deadman won't be coming back.

Yes, The Undertaker is the greatest legendary wrestler in professional wrestling.

He is also the greatest 'character' pro wrestling has ever seen. I don't think I could picture anyone else with the deadman gimmick. People on here have said there should be a successor but I don't think there should, he is too great to try and re create.

He has had many memorable matches, feuds, cuts some awesome promos and has done pretty much everything in WWF/E except for a couple of things but that doesn't matter.

The Undertaker demands attention like nobody else and I believe when he is gone from WWE, it won't feel the same knowing the deadman won't be coming back.

i do agree with you, undertaker has never been the US champ or the IC champ. and when the deadman is gone, well, wwe wont be the same, i dont know how long i will continue watching wwe programming once taker is gone. i also agree that no one can be a sucesser for him. he was in a totally different era of wrestling, when he started it was a pg 14 thing (that kinda contributed to his character), a succesor for taker just wouldnt have the same feel.....the same ring to it as the undertaker himself.

Uhmn, actually Taker came during the Doink era, which was even more ridiculously kiddy than WWE is now. I kid you not.

Granted, he reached his stride during the Attitude Era, so I guess you could argue for that.

But yeah, Taker is probably the most significant legend in WWE history. Yes, you could argue guys like Hogan are more important, but Taker's always been with WWE since he came 20 years ago at survivor series, and has always been at the top billing. Hell, he actually went over Hogan once. Sure, he had to cheat, but still.

I say yes. For one his gimmick has lasted the longest and I agree that no one else BUT Mark Calaway can ever be Undertaker. He took Vince's creation and made the character highly successful. He is one of a kind, it just wouldn't be the same if someone else were to play the part of the Undertaker imo.

His streak is also something unique to his character, how many can boast they have never yet been defeated at a WM? This to me, is one aspect of his legendary legacy which is why I feel he should be inducted into the HOF as "the man who never was defeated at WM. "

That got me thinking: In terms of respect, admiration, fan fair, mystique, longevity, and overall career, is the Undertaker the greatest legend of all time?
I also agree, all these things combined (that the op mentioned above) imo make him the legend that he is today. As a huge Taker fan as I am, to me he will always be the greatest legend in the WWE.

Yes. The Undertaker is the greatest legendary wrestler ever. He is a very key factor of the WWE still being around. I've been a fan all my life, and never have I seen a man in pro wrestling so respected and admired. I'm a huge Undertaker fan, and I'm going to be quite depressed when he leaves. It won't be the same knowing that the bell will never toll again.

Each and every Legend has it's own unique impact on the WWE. To say that one is better than any of the others is really hard for me to do, because they have each contributed to the WWE in their own special ways.

Stone Cold Steve Austin brought a hardcore edge to the show, that may never be surpassed. Hulk Hogan led the take over of the territories. The Rock has drawn a blueprint on how to cut a promo. Killer Kowalski was the innovative heel, that we have come to know and love today.

The Undertaker has single handily laid the foundation for gimmick based wrestlers. To say he hasn't made his impact on the Wrestling Community would be ridiculously, and indubitably has became known as a great legend.

However I cannot sit here and honestly tell you I think any one legend is better than the other. They're all legends for a reason, they were just that damn good.

I'd have to say yes. Some other stars might have had more impact at any point in time (Austin and Rock were bigger during Attitude, Hogan was bigger when Taker got started, John Cena is arguably bigger now), but Taker's overall longevity and some of the legendary feuds and matches he's been in (many of which he pioneered- Casket Match, Buried Alive, HITC, Last Ride, etc.) speak for themselves.

And in terms of locker room respect he's probably the greatest in the history of the business.

Taker is the greatest superstar in the history of the WWE, which in turn is the biggest pro wrestling promotion ever. So I suppose one can 'do the math.'

I find this hard to get my head around.

My personal favourite of all time is HBK, and so is millions of others, but lets be honest, HBK hasen't achieved what Undertaker has achieved:

Wrestlemania Streak
18-0 at WrestleMania and like Arn Anderson said on RAW, that's like a team winning 18 Superbowl's in a row, that's an unthinkable achievment, something that sends chills down my spine when i think about not just the streak but all those who fell victim to it- HBK! Ric Flair! Edge! His Wrestlemania opponent HHH!, all guys who are Hall of Famers or certain future Hall of Famers and not to mention the dozen or so others. No one will ever repeat that or even come close to it in my mind.

Championships
I don't know how many WH/WWE Titles Undertaker has won but certainly i know he's won alot, HBK was only champ 4 times and he's regaded as maybe the best ever (i know he's done so much more but that's a completley different matter), HHH has won 13 and Flair 16, but my point is that Undertaker can certainly match that and he's always a contender for a championship when he's not injured.

Other Achievements
He's won Royal Rumbles, Elimination Chamber matches and not to mention his personal matches such as Hell in a Cell and Buried Alive matches, Undertakers done all there is to do in the WWE, he's won all these types of matches, beaten all of the greatest superstars to walk through the door and there are still a few years left for the Undertaker to achieve more.

Reasons why Taker may not be the greatest ever
There isn't alot to complain about Undertaker but there are some things:
His Character Personality- When Undertaker steps into the ring, he does what needs to be done, wins the match then leaves, he doesn't talk about it much and he doesn't really feel the hate of his opponent that his character is supposed to personify. Take his Wrestlemania opponent HHH, one of the greatest ever (some may say the greatest ever), one of the reasons he is so popular was because of his character personality and mic skills, when he was heel, people loved to hate him because of what he said on the mic and when he was face, he was loved by what he said on the mic. His actions with HBK as DX was loved by the WWE fans and Undertaker just dosen't bring that excitement on the mic that most of the superstars bring. I know his character is supposed to be dark and distant, but it isn't scary or intimidating like its supposed to be, it's just a bit boaring if im honest and that in my opinion is Undertakers only downfall.

Obviusly im cluching at straws with his weakness but i feel, yes the undertaker is the greatest ever because of his countless achievements, he's not my personal favourite of all time but he is the greatest ever, no doubt in my mind.

while its very possible undertaker could be the best legend ever....im gonna have to say no to this ONLY because other guys have done more for the business then him! like hogan....i mean come on if it wasnt for hogan WWE prolly wouldnt be around still today also another person and this is my pick for the greatest legend of all-time because IMO he is the best wrestler EVER and that would be Mr.Wrestlemania Shawn Michaels because he was around for many years,had some of the best matches ever and no matter who he faced in a match he could make them look good in that match! i could be wrong but hey its just what i think :shrug: without a doubt though Undertaker is easily 1 of the best legends ever in the business

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back