The Truth About WrestleMania

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
The truth about WrestleMania is that up until 2001, most WrestleManias were utter second-rate garbage under the bright lights of the Mania brand. Many were single match shows, most were stocked with filler, and nobody felt the need to observe obsessive reverence over what a Mania-quality match was. Let's's be realistic with out standards. Not every match needs to be five stars. Not every headliner needs to be some uber-established legend. Not every main event match needs to be viewed through what we assume will be the perspective history will take on it. It's a well-branded wrestling event that needs to deliver a good show within the current climate of the company and pay history no attention. It's just business. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Everyone please do me a favour: Try not to take WrestleMania too seriously. If it doesn't turn out as well as you hope, it's not that big a deal. It's just a wrestling show.

How do you feel about the obsessive reverence observed for WrestleMania?

I agree with you 100% Coco (shockingly). This applies the most to Wrestlemania, but can be said to varying degrees about pretty much every PPV, whether it be a major PPV or one of the less significant ones, whether it be WWE or TNA. The marks come out and over anlyze every nuance, every element of every program, and there's no way it can live up to that type of scrutiny. I know I have been guilty myself of the very same thing from time to time.

I thought the Royal Rumble was really good. But what are we reading today from a lot of guys? Wrong winner. Not enough surprises. Eve instead of Awesome Kong. Etc., etc., etc.,

All of us should really just sit back and enjoy the show sometimes. It's typically better than it gets credit for.

When it comes to Wrestlemania, I usually do have high expectations, Coco.

WWE always makes sure to seduce us with their flashy video packages before Wrestlemania, and to tell you the truth, those video packages always manage to give me goosebumps. Wrestlemaina is always presented to us as the be all end all of professional wrestling. We get to see all of the blockbuster matches take place, and we always see lengthy builds to big time feuds. We're promised great and memorable moments, and most of the time, WWE/WWF delivers. Who could forget Hogan slamming Andre, Bret VS Owen from Mania 10, Steve Austin shaking Vince McMahon's hand, and the epic encounter between Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. These moments and matches are all burned in my memory, and they will be with me for a very long time.

With all of that said, yeah, I do think we can expect far too much from Wrestlemania most of the times. I LOVED last night's Royal Rumble, but I can not believe the amount of whining and complaining I've read about the Rumble from other people so far. The amount of nitpicking and bitching is unreal.

WWE usually delivers a good amount of memories at Wrestlemania, but I think a lot of people in the IWC will look at the show, and be ready to analyze and pick apart every single aspect of it like there's no tomorrow. Have fun with Wrestlemania. It's not the end of the world if the big show isn't perfect.

I agree with you,but can honestly say I'm innocent of all charges. It's a serious advantage for me not knowing anything about backstage politics and things like that. Even if I do read spoilers, they still don't take away from the excitement of actually seeing a title match on free TV, or a title change on Smackdown, or Booker T and Diesel showing up at the Rumble. It's still very exciting to me in all honesty because nothing can compare to seeing it happen right in front of you. You'll be hard pressed to find me complaining about any aspect of wrestling because I simply wouldn't know the difference if events happened any other way. Wrestlemania 26 was my first ever WM and I loved it from start to finish. Last night was my first Royal Rumble and I was rocking back and forth with glee the entire time. I guess it's because I'm not accustomed to seeing Pay Per Views all the time that they're exciting to me just because the Miz comes out in his coat or they modify Edge's pyro or someone has gold accents in their gear(or it's fucking Robin themed. WIN). I guess I just appreciate more than the rest of you spoiled brats. :shrug:

The only reason why the fans make Wrestlemania a big deal is because the WWE promotes it that way.

"The road to Wrestlemania"

"Winner of the Royal Rumble to main event Wrestlemania"

"Mr. Wrestlemania"

"Wrestlemania moment"

Wrestlemania has always been their biggest show and they've promoted it that way since day 1. They save their biggest feuds and matches for that day only. Back in the day they would bring in all the celebrities.

Wrestlemania will always be a big deal.

Wrestlemania is it for the WWE, their Super Bowl, their World Series, their Olympics, you get the idea. Of course there should be a higher standard, furthermore, they usually charge more for Wrestlemania so if you are going to spend your money on that, you should expect a damn good product, and dare I say it, something special. Yes I realize it's just a wrestling show, but it is THE wrestling show where the WWE promotes it's best and brightest, so anything less would be a disappointment.

I agree with some here who point out that Mania is criticized at times for not being that great of a show because of how the WWE portrays Mania. Over the past ten years WWE has really turned everything about Wrestlemania way up. It's where stars are made. "The whole world is watching!" I think we have a right to tear the show apart if it isn't that great. I mean realistically I have only been disappointed in one mania since X17. (That being Mania 25.) Though I really don't understand what is with everyone shitting bricks about the current alleged card.

Cena vs Miz, of course it wouldn't be a 5 star match. Though it will be a good solid match. The back story for this match goes back two years, with Miz being the up and comer calling out the biggest star in the company. Now he's the champion and the one who's "the face" of the company. I think it will make for interesting build up, and match.

Punk vs Orton, This to me has the possibility to be the best match of the night. Punk has been the best heel in the company for the past year and half. He knows how to get under the crowds skin, and he's been doing a great job on it. Orton is the anti-hero or was. The crowd loves him. He gets a huge pop. Also as with the Cena/Miz angle this has backstory to it. With Orton punting Punk in the head and costing him the championship. I prefer matches with backstory. It makes it into a more interesting match.

The weakest match in my eyes right now is Edge vs Alberto Del Rio. Yet, that should be a solid match.

The card looks really good. You have the youth movement in full effect. With Miz and Del Rio. You have the possibility of Taker vs Barrett. If WWE has sign Sting you have a dream match with Sting vs Taker. Honestly, that would sell the show, and the card would be great then. So the "Truth" is Mania is shaping up nicely.

Well yes us fans do have an unrealistic amount of expectation from a WrestleMania but that is only because the WWE promotes it that way. And truly I do not know much about the past but WrestleMania has been the PPV of the year for the WWE on most occasions since 2001. Also it is a well known fact that the road to WrestleMania is one of the best times to watch the WWE.

The Mania is the most heavily promoted PPV and that is where the expectations of us fans stem from. Yes it is unrealistic to expect that every match on the show would be a five star affair but it is not at all unjustified to expect that the WWE will put on the best show that they can possibly offer.

After all its not called "the showcase of the Immortals" for nothing.

I'm on the fence with this one.

On one hand, we do sometimes expect too much from Wrestlemania, to the point where it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. But on the other hand, it's WWE that creates that hype and builds up the matches with such bewildering intensity that forces us fans to expect nothing short than a 5 star match, and that isn't always possible.

However, the only Wrestlemania that has dissapointed me (out of the ones I've seen) was WM25. The matches on that card were boring and un-entertaining, saved only by Taker vs HBK and, to a much lesser extent, Matt vs Jeff. Which is a shame, considering that this marked a quarter of a century of Wrestlemania, and should have been more exciting. I didn't expect it to be the best Wrestlemania, but I certainly did expect better than the garbage that I got.

And to further elaborate on what I said earlier...I understand the booking/creative team are under pressure week in and week out to come up with good storylines. However, Wrestlemania is thought of months in advance. Royal Rumble is really only a set up for Wrestlemania and the first PPV on the "road" to WM. The event before...whether it's No Way Out or Elimination Chamber, that's the final show where they can get everything set for the BIG ONE.

This thing has alot of time put into it...and there's no reason why Wrestlemania should fall flat....ever. The performers themselves should put 200% and everything they possibly have into putting on a great performance...anything less is unacceptable.

My $.02

The Super Bowl is just a football game, and yet it gets the most viewers than any game and is always packaged as this big deal. So why can't WrestleMania be the same? Why can't WWE make a show out to be their biggest show?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL manias out to be... idk... centered around one match? Wasn't last year about HBK and Taker part two? Despite the fact that Jack Swagger became an overnight main eventer, and despite the fact that Cena and Batista had a killer performance?

Manias were still considered the biggest spectacle of them all... even long before 2001. Hell, WrestleMania 2000 is more remembered for the Eurocontinental Championship match and the Triple Threat Ladder match than the four way match where The Rock was screwed over by the McMahons.

well Mania is suppose to b the grand daddy of them all, super bowl of wrestling and yadda yadda yadda. u generally remember WM main events and high profile matches more than say, backlash, great american bash, etc. and wwe gouges u for like 60-70 bucks to c it on ppv. so yeah, i tend to get upset if it isnt a 1st class grade A show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back