the stupidity of rey mysterio

whoopin' ass

Championship Contender
sorry if you are a fan but what is the appeal of rey mysterio? I keep hearing he is this wonderful, entertaining superstar but his matches are horrible from a technical/realism standpoint. I just caught the end of the match between him and cm punk. mysterio drop kicks mason ryan and therefore ends up outside the ropes. instead of climbing back in like any other superstar, he tries to skin the cat and ends up in the gts. why would he skin the cat? what is gained by it? it isn't like he was thrown over the ropes and caught it. it makes no sense at all but all of his matches are like that. I said it before in another thread - the 619 is one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen in terms of its reaction. why is it that orton's punt to the head is a devistating move that keeps people out of action for months but the 619 doesn't do the same? when you look at how the person hangs on the ropes before the 619, it should be just as deadly if not more so when you consider that the spine/neck should be compressed by the impact. but a face like mysterio couldn't have a move that deadly so instead his opponent bounces around the ring like a pinball. all his moves are like that. I understand that in wrestling you need to sell the moves as most of them are not really what they appear to be but when it comes to mysterio, the opponent must sell EVERY move like it is the most powerful thing they have every felt. people bitch about cena and his superman status but mysterio really isn't that different. why is he pushed when someone like christian isn't? I just don't understand his push other than to get kids to buy his merchandise.

Rey Mysterio to me is an excellent in ring performer with a stale gimmick. He can pretty much have good matches with a lot of the Raw Roster, and usually is entertaining in the ring. Reason I'm not a mark for the guy is because he has a REALLY stale gimmick. I never was a fan of gimmick geared towards kids unless they were Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels. But if Mysterio garners his popularity with kids, then his gimmick will remain the same.

The stupidity of this post.

sorry if you are a fan but what is the appeal of rey mysterio? I keep hearing he is this wonderful, entertaining superstar but his matches are horrible from a technical/realism standpoint. I just caught the end of the match between him and cm punk. mysterio drop kicks mason ryan and therefore ends up outside the ropes. instead of climbing back in like any other superstar, he tries to skin the cat and ends up in the gts. why would he skin the cat? what is gained by it?

HBK did it all the time so tell me why would he always do that? What was gained by that?

it isn't like he was thrown over the ropes and caught it. it makes no sense at all but all of his matches are like that. I said it before in another thread - the 619 is one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen in terms of its reaction. why is it that orton's punt to the head is a devistating move that keeps people out of action for months but the 619 doesn't do the same?

Have you ever taken a shot to the temple? If you have, you should know better than this.

when you look at how the person hangs on the ropes before the 619, it should be just as deadly if not more so when you consider that the spine/neck should be compressed by the impact. but a face like mysterio couldn't have a move that deadly so instead his opponent bounces around the ring like a pinball. all his moves are like that. I understand that in wrestling you need to sell the moves as most of them are not really what they appear to be but when it comes to mysterio, the opponent must sell EVERY move like it is the most powerful thing they have every felt. people bitch about cena and his superman status but mysterio really isn't that different. why is he pushed when someone like christian isn't? I just don't understand his push other than to get kids to buy his merchandise.

Rey Mysterio lost tonight, lost to R-Truth at OTL, and lost to Rhodes at Wrestlemania. I must have missed his push because I haven't seen it.

Don't you have anything of substance to provide us?

sorry if you are a fan but what is the appeal of rey mysterio? I keep hearing he is this wonderful, entertaining superstar but his matches are horrible from a technical/realism standpoint. I just caught the end of the match between him and cm punk. mysterio drop kicks mason ryan and therefore ends up outside the ropes. instead of climbing back in like any other superstar, he tries to skin the cat and ends up in the gts. why would he skin the cat? what is gained by it? it isn't like he was thrown over the ropes and caught it. it makes no sense at all but all of his matches are like that. I said it before in another thread - the 619 is one of the dumbest moves I have ever seen in terms of its reaction. why is it that orton's punt to the head is a devistating move that keeps people out of action for months but the 619 doesn't do the same? when you look at how the person hangs on the ropes before the 619, it should be just as deadly if not more so when you consider that the spine/neck should be compressed by the impact. but a face like mysterio couldn't have a move that deadly so instead his opponent bounces around the ring like a pinball. all his moves are like that. I understand that in wrestling you need to sell the moves as most of them are not really what they appear to be but when it comes to mysterio, the opponent must sell EVERY move like it is the most powerful thing they have every felt. people bitch about cena and his superman status but mysterio really isn't that different. why is he pushed when someone like christian isn't? I just don't understand his push other than to get kids to buy his merchandise.

the reason is vince likes money, kids have money vince milks them for their money. Example of all time Cena. Cena= Spinner Belts, T-Shirts, Rist Bands, Video Games. Action Figures.

Christian dosn't sell merchandise, Rey Sells mask's by the hundreds at House shows & online sales, T-Shirts & masks. MONEY & SALES= A PUSH.

remember this is sports entertainment: meaning its about creating a show. it is scripted - its not one wrestler trying to beat another, its two men following a story line in order to entertain the fans.
rey is the epitome of what the kids like - high flying, interesting moves, underdog story and size. its what wwe now is

HBK did it all the time so tell me why would he always do that? What was gained by that?

Have you ever taken a shot to the temple? If you have, you should know better than this.

Rey Mysterio lost tonight, lost to R-Truth at OTL, and lost to Rhodes at Wrestlemania. I must have missed his push because I haven't seen it.

Don't you have anything of substance to provide us?

first, did you read my post? hbk did it when he went over the top rope. lots of guys did that - you go over and grab the top rope as you fly over to stop yourself. it makes some sort of sense. rey was standing on the ring apron. there is no reason why he needs to grab the rope and flip in like that. it is just plain dumb.

as for a shot to the temple, no i have not. what is your point? yeah, a shot to the temple is bad, it will put a person out. are you telling me a kick to the top of the head is nothing? ask steve austin; he was dropped on the top of his head. the piledriver and the ddt(well once anyways) are deadly moves that drop someone on their head. what about the pedigree? all these moves put put someone down and out yet the 619 doesn't? i stand by my statement - it is a dumb move.

the push is he is still in the main event area. he lost to rhodes yet was in a match to determine cena's opponent a few weeks back. when did rhodes get his title match? why doesn't jtg or primo get title shots? they lose all the time too. what about santino? he was a tag team champ not that long ago and won matches? you don't always have to win to get a push but if anyone else lost as much as mysterio did, they would be on superstars not raw.

lol RIght on.

Rey Mysterio may not be the most technically sound wrestler. He's not exactly young anymore. Check out some matches from his good ol days, and those matches he had back with Eddie Guerrero. Is Christian a better wrestler? Uh...yeah, Christian can out-wrestle just about everyone in that damn locker room(which reminds me, we need a Christian v. Daniel Bryan match in the distant future), but Christian doesn't have that heroic appeal like Rey and Cena do. Besides, he's not supposed to be a Daniel Bryan; he's a high-flyer. Skin the cat? Not like he's the first one to do it.Also, you bash Rey's silly moveset, then you say his opponents sell it like it's the most powerful thing they have ever felt, but then you make the point of the head/neck being compressed...where exactly are you on this. As for him being so popular, he appeals to kids. They like him and what he stands for, which equals merchandise sells. Popularity=push in someway. He may win the same way every time, but name the last time he won a relevant match, because I sure as Hell can't.

I just think you've over analyzed this too much. Wrestling helps us escape the hardships of everyday life by letting us into a world of buscuits, bodyslams, and bibles. Wrestling needs some realism, but don't take it so seriously. It's tv bro:)

It's just the way it works.

You've seriously over analyzed this matter, and you shouldn't have posted this nonsense. It's a show. He's a major attraction, and a great performer. You're trying to apply real life logic and physics to a scripted show.

Just sit down and enjoy it. For what you don't enjoy, change the channel. It's television man.

I've said my piece before about Mysterio and the fan appeal, at least my thought as to why, so I'll be brief. Mysterio's appeal to the casual fan is that he is a heroic character. Point blank, he's the guy with the cards stacked against him who fights valiantly and succeeds at least fifty percent of the time which is a better success rate than many fans who feel that life is dumping on them day after day and that the cards of life are stacked against him. The appeal is seeing someone who looks like, by all rights, he should lose all the time succeed instead.

Now, as to his fighting style, he's a cruserweight, get used to it. He'll use whatever aerial moves he can because he doesn't have the body mass to use the moves that a bigger bruiser like Cena or Orton can. Would you find it more believable if he used a Big Show-style knockout punch or chokeslam? Didn't think so. The 619 is used because few if any other superstars can currently pull it off (making it distinctive to Rey) and it works for his size. That's it. It is a matter of adapting to the task ahead of you. I suppose if there were still a cruserweight division, Rey might have more "believable" matches by your standards, but there isn't.

And as to selling moves, it's not as unbelievable as you might think. More than likely, you haven't been doled out said moves personally. If you had, I have a feeling you might be spending a bit of time unconscious, even delivered by someone Mysterio's size.

I'll be nice with this post, I can't figure out what your real problem is, you're mad at the way Mysterio jobbed the match? That, to me is ludicrous; okay yeah it wasn't smart for Rey Mysterio, an in-ring veteran to skin the cat instead of just getting out of the ring after kicking Mason in the face. However, that isn't stupidity that's just how the ending went. As for this whole "all his matches are like that!" statement, every superstar has signature moves, moves you will see in every match said competitor has.

Mysterio can't do some of the moves he has done in the past, if you look at many of his WCW match-ups he hasn't done them in a WWE ring and some he did do, he has injuries that have been mounting up since, well since I can remember. So there goes some diversity; I'm sorry but all I keep seeing when I read your post is the same whining complaints I hear or read every week about WWE.

Why doesn't Christian get pushed like Mysterio? Christian, albeit in a not so popular fashion has been getting pushed, you honestly still don't know where Christian's career will go he could go heel and remain in the Main event spot through out the year, eventually winning back the WHC. You could have saved yourself the time and just said: "I don't like how WWE is pushing their superstars". Instead of being the guy that whines about one of the top-tier faces in the company.

You are looking for realism on a show that features a character who has returned from the dead numerous times, a show where a guy can hit people in the head with a sledgehammer and then wrestle those same people a week later. You are asking for realism on a show where just last week a man was injured in a hit and run car accident, and instead of pressing charges he is going to settle the issue with a wrestling match. Realism is not a part of the show, nor has it ever been. Sit back, enjoy the show, or change the channel. It's a simple choice.

Mysterio was great in his heyday, but age and injuries have caught up to the point some people may not find him appealing anymore. he's not a highflyer as he used to be and he's gained a lot of weight (i'm guessing because of his bad wheels that won't let him).

you look at his old work in WCW and his early WWE stuff, he was great, but after the injuries (especially his last knee surgery i think it was), he's dropped significantly to where he's suffered overall

When watching the movie commando do you find yourself asking "how could arnold possibly bodyslam a telephone booth... with someone in it?!" How about during titanic do you ask "why couldn't jack just have swam around and found ANOTHER door to float on. I mean, that boat had at least 500 rooms in it, so you mean to tell me that Rose got the ONLY door that was in the water and jack had to go and freeze to death?!"

My point? Its a tv show. Rey has been a far above average performer for 20+ years. He's the greatest high flyer of all time (sorry mistico/sin cara, not yet). So stop nitpicking over what was obviously a blown spot that was clearly the fault of a wrestler who is green as grass (mason ryan), and enjoy what was a great match that we rarely get to see on tv or ppv for that matter. Goodness gratious guy.

I personally like Rey and have nothing against him. His gimmick is stale though, it has been the same since 2002 with literately no changes at all, not even a small one. I think he isn't that bad of a wrestler though, he is a high flyer, and those guys are always exciting to watch, now if you are looking for a technical master, Rey isn't the guy to look at, but if you want a high flyer, he is one of the best of all time.

I don't mind Rey too much. I see why he's pushed all the time with the merchandise sales through the roof and such. There's just a couple things that annoy me about Rey. The first being the 619. He's the only wrestler that magically knocks his opponent conveniently for his finisher. I know that's pretty much the only way he can set up his opponent but if he was able to find an alternative to that annoying finisher, he wouldn't piss me off so much. The other thing are his winning streaks. There was a time when Rey would regularly beat everybody he wrestled from Punk to Kane and all others in between. It seems he's been losing more frequently as of late and that is how it should be. You can't have somebody that is supposedly the "ultimate underdog" winning every single match. That takes away the premise of being an underdog, does it not? If he remained in the middle card and got rid of the 619, I wouldn't have one problem with him whatsoever.

is reys gimmick stale. HELL YES

is he still putting up the best matches on raw. HELL YES

for the past few weeks the only good matches on raw(there are few since smackdown is the show u watch for wrestling) are the ones which involve rey mysterio. the man's pushing 40 and hes still jumping off ropes, twirling arnd ppls heads, doing moonsaults and all tht stuff. technically he may be one of the best on RAW right now.

hes too big of a name for the midcard and hes too small in size for the title. guys like him shud have the IC title and compete in the main card. tht way u make the IC title more credible as well.

and as for stupidity. i dont know how long uv been watching wrestling. but watch old wcw videos. and maybe even some of reys old wwe videos. hes the only guy who has managed to remain somewhat consistent over a career of almost 2 decades. so yea the only stupid thing is ur mentality

I'd say something fair for a change. Rey Mysterio has had good matches, and had bad matches. For a period of time, he has been going though the motion, executing the same move, even the same sequence every night. But recently, I noticed a change in him. Maybe, his body is feeling better? Maybe his injury is not bugging him? I don't know... But the bottom line is, his last 3 matches were terrific matches. And what do I mean by it? One, producing a unique match; two, spontaneous moves during the match; three, good exchange and counters. Come on, don't just go in hating the man. Try to relax, watch the match from start to finish, then criticize him critically. That is, if you're still not the least bit impressed by his performance.

Worst thread ever.

I don't particurlarly care for Mysterio, but the guy can put on entertaining matches, he's insanely popular and sells merchandise. That's why he gets pushed.

There's something for everyone in WWE, I guess. In the face of the realism the company tries to project with their tough guys duking it out......comes Rey Mysterio and his act. If you want to criticize, it's better to rail against the cartoonish aspects the company projects with guys like Rey and Sin Cara......not Rey's "stupidity." He's performing as directed, giving the kids what they want and selling them his masks.

Personally, I'm tired of the act. The stunts Rey does (over & over & over) couldn't work without the total cooperation of his opponent. Yes, it can be said that all wrestling matches fall under that umbrella, but with Rey, it looks so contrived that it flies in the face of logic......and I still say that the sight of Rey pinning the shoulders of Dave Batista was one of the most visually ludicrous things I've ever seen in wrestling.

I'll say one thing; the emergence of Sin Cara has made given me greater appreciation for Rey Mysterio. At least Rey hits his spots when they open up.

When watching the movie commando do you find yourself asking "how could arnold possibly bodyslam a telephone booth... with someone in it?!" How about during titanic do you ask "why couldn't jack just have swam around and found ANOTHER door to float on. I mean, that boat had at least 500 rooms in it, so you mean to tell me that Rose got the ONLY door that was in the water and jack had to go and freeze to death?!"

My point? Its a tv show. Rey has been a far above average performer for 20+ years. He's the greatest high flyer of all time (sorry mistico/sin cara, not yet). So stop nitpicking over what was obviously a blown spot that was clearly the fault of a wrestler who is green as grass (mason ryan), and enjoy what was a great match that we rarely get to see on tv or ppv for that matter. Goodness gratious guy.

You've got the right idea on the "realism" of Mysterio's style.. HOWEVER, saying Mysterio's the best high flyer of all time is something I have to disagree with. I can think of at least two that outdo Mysterio: Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Lyger. Lyger has at least 5-10 years on Mysterio but has flatly refused to work at WWE. The other thing that puts Lyger over Mysterio is the fact that he adjusted when he couldn't do all the high-flying spots that he wanted to do.

Ultimo Dragon also has a few years experience on Mysterio and hasn't gotten injured nearly as many times. Mysterio was pretty good in his younger days but he's not as big an international legend. He gets out there because of WWE but he's not been able to expand as much as the others.

It's time to get smart: Mysterio's got to know that he can't keep putting himself in these kind of situations with big guys who lumber around the ring or he's going to get injured again and we know that one more injury could finish it. That's about as much blame as I can put on Mysterio at this moment. WWE also needs to fix Mason Ryan and quickly. He's going to injure someone.

You've got the right idea on the "realism" of Mysterio's style.. HOWEVER, saying Mysterio's the best high flyer of all time is something I have to disagree with. I can think of at least two that outdo Mysterio: Ultimo Dragon and Jushin Lyger. Lyger has at least 5-10 years on Mysterio but has flatly refused to work at WWE. The other thing that puts Lyger over Mysterio is the fact that he adjusted when he couldn't do all the high-flying spots that he wanted to do.

Ultimo Dragon also has a few years experience on Mysterio and hasn't gotten injured nearly as many times. Mysterio was pretty good in his younger days but he's not as big an international legend. He gets out there because of WWE but he's not been able to expand as much as the others.

It's time to get smart: Mysterio's got to know that he can't keep putting himself in these kind of situations with big guys who lumber around the ring or he's going to get injured again and we know that one more injury could finish it.

Here is the most stupid thing I read in this post!!
So Ultimo Dragon that his a guy that spent 4 years with the WCW/WWE with a brake is a better high flyer in the WWE history than Mysterio?
Jushin Liger a guy that spent 8 years with WCW and getting only one tittle cant be better than Mysterio in terms of entertainment or in ring, because these are things that every fan see in high flyers and usually reasons for a push...

Mysterio is the oldest active wrestler in the WWE Roster now, he worked 5 years in WCW and he has been working with the WWE since 2002, that gives us a total of 14 years, 14 fucking years...
If you are between 18 and 21 Rey Mysterio was with you since the day that you have seen pro-wrestling for the first time..
Mysterio always, but always gave his best against everybody...
Everyone complains his matches against Batista, well that just gives logic to the "underdog" gimmick and he did fine in that match!!
He is supposed to be the guy with more heart and soul in the WWE...
He is a former World Champion because of his stupidity? Give me a break, him and HBK are the two all time greatest performers EVER!!

He is the only guy in the WWE that you can't criticize, he is awesome in the ring, he is an average talker and he is the one that sells more merchandising alongside Cena...
I bet with you, if Vince gets 20 new Rey Mysterios he will be glad, just because he gave us awesome feuds, awesome stories and awesome moments and he was one of the most loyal superstars i've ever seen!

The best Royal Rumble i've seen in a long time, was the one that Rey won!!
Last Elimination Chamber he gave an AWESOME MATCH!!
He pushed Del Rio, Cody Rhodes, R-Truth, what else do you want??

I just have one thing to say to all the STUPID posters that said that Mysterio sucks or whatever...

FUCK YOU!!!

He is only pushed to appease the Latino fans.

Mysterio is one of the most overrated wrestlers in at least the past 10, maybe more, years.

His gimmick is stale, his high flyer techniques are no longer unique. He's too small to be believable in the ring against anyone over 150 pounds. He horrible on the mic. I'll just stop here.

I don't doubt that he's a hard worker and that he's well-respected in the locker room but honestly he should have been future endeavored years ago.

Dude, that is a horrible fucking excuse for an opinion. Release a proven draw and legendary performer? Mysterio has been putting on great matches for damn near a 2 decades. And marketed to appease Latinos? So now we wanna play the race card too? So I guess Christian is marketed towards Canadians and Cena to white boys from Mass? Someone needs to future endeavor your internet privileges so we don't have to read this vomit some pendejos spew.

Dude, that is a horrible fucking excuse for an opinion. Release a proven draw and legendary performer? Mysterio has been putting on great matches for damn near a 2 decades. And marketed to appease Latinos? So now we wanna play the race card too? So I guess Christian is marketed towards Canadians and Cena to white boys from Mass? Someone needs to future endeavor your internet privileges so we don't have to read this vomit some pendejos spew.

Haha I agree with you man, this thread has gone to shit. You got it wrong though, cena is for all the white boys who think they are black, and R-truth is the token on the show. Great kahli is for our friends over in Asia, and together they make up the mixing pot of the WWE. Apparently Rey does something right if everyone has a 4 paragraph statement on him.

I have pretty much disliked Reys matches ever since he came up with that 619 crap , it really is an annoyingly unrealistic finisher

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back