The Streak Is Over (Keep it in here!!!!)

When will Taker Retire?

• Taker will retire on Raw

• Taker Will retire within next year

• Taker will retire within the next 5 years

• I have no idea and I cant even process the Streak being over!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why Brock Lesnar? ....Not only that but Lesnar is a larger-then-life character, who is physically what Wrestlemania needs, and who is a proven DRAW that will bring in people to watch his feuds and matches at Wrestlemania.

The point is well-taken. Yes, some folks have a problem with the result today, but take your thoughts to 10 years from now. We're not going to be looking back at Brock as a part-time wrestler whose contact with WWE was limited to a few appearances a year and an aloof attitude on his part toward his sometimes-employer and co-employees. I think we'll remember the fighting machine whom a lot of folks were imploring to come back to the place where he had established himself as "The Next Big Thing," a man with legitimate martial arts fighting experience and a dude who was regarded as a genuine badass; someone whom I thought might hurt Mark Calaway for real (which he did).

Regarded in that light, I'm not going to sit there in 2024 thinking that Brock was an inappropriate opponent to have ended the Streak. True, I would have preferred to see a hero of WWE end the Streak in a display of "clean" wrestling, in which youth simply overcame old age......yeah, the "youth" I'm talking about is John Cena, whom I thought the only performer worthy of the job.

As with many of you, I was stunned at WM30 to see Brock pull it off. But I'm talking about 2024 and beyond, and honestly believe that Undertaker's legend will remain intact.......with losing his Streak to Brock Lesnar being regarded with honor.

Many may have disliked the result......but it made a lot of sense.

I was stunned when lesnar got the 1 2 3, i would have expected a bigger finish pr something extraordinary to put taker away, but maybe thats how they wanted it, just to look like lesnar was stronger and beat him clearly. Would have been nice if brock had pulled out a shooting star press(I know it doesnt suit his persona but its wrestlemania, I dont think anyone would care) or they'd had some kind of omg wrestlemania moment before the finish but maybe taker just wasn't up to it.

Bottom line is, im glad they passed it on. Streaks are made to be broken.

I would assume a statement by Taker was planned for RAW, but with him apparently being injured / suffering a concussion during his Mania match, maybe he had to take the night off by doctor's orders, even if it would just have been a promo appearance.

I could also imagine his head is a bit rattled if he suffered a concussion, and maybe he didn't want to go out there when there was a chance he might not be able to get across everything he wants to say exactly the way he wants to say it.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think we won't get any answers until Wrestlemainia season next year. If he doesn't make his yearly return that's when I'll believe he's done. Though I could only see him wrestling Sting, or Lesnar in a rematch next year.

I was stunned when lesnar got the 1 2 3, i would have expected a bigger finish pr something extraordinary to put taker away, but maybe thats how they wanted it, just to look like lesnar was stronger and beat him clearly. Would have been nice if brock had pulled out a shooting star press(I know it doesnt suit his persona but its wrestlemania, I dont think anyone would care) or they'd had some kind of omg wrestlemania moment before the finish but maybe taker just wasn't up to it.

Bottom line is, im glad they passed it on. Streaks are made to be broken.

Not trying to argue, i don't know you from Adam. But i don't think all streaks are made to be broken. Im sorry, i dont care who he lost to (well mostly, i don't like it being a part timer) but at this point i just don't agree that in any amount of time that 21-1 is better than 22-0. I was personally a proponent of the "end of an era" ending at 20-0.

People became too attached to the Streak. They felt like it was "theirs" and not the Undertaker's and that if it was going to end it should be at the hands of someone who THEY think "deserves" it.

Taker owes a lot to the business, and he respects the business, and he probably thought it would be selfish to retire with the streak intact. And he always respected Lesnar, even more so after his UFC run, and he rightfully felt that Lesnar is the most believable guy who could end his character's streak.

For me the streak was getting a little too routine. The matches were great, but it became a series of false finishes at the end until Taker finally pulled it off. It became so much so that the Lesner/Taker match was used as a break from Mania and me and my wife were actually looking for washers and dryers online. About halfway through the match I said to her well it is almost over we should watch the end, and I am glad we did. The fact is it was time to end it. I don't even think last year's match with Punk lived up to the standard Taker had set for steak matches, and he just didn't seem like he could go anymore. Being the guy that he obviously is, he didn't want to go on if the matches were not great. It doesn't matter if we think Lesner was the right guy or not because The Undertaker obviously thought he was. He gave us a great career, and in the end gave us fans a moment we will never ever forget.

The only reason Undertaker kept wrestling year after year was to defend the streak and now that the streak is over he has nothing left to do. So yes, its time for him to retire and probably be inducted into the Hall of Fame in the next 3-4 years.

If they put Edge in the hall the immediate WM after his retirement, what in the blue hell makes you think Undertaker will have to wait 3-4 years?

Ah, The Streak.

I was a big Undertaker fan growing up, I kind of grew up the with The Streak ironically, 1991, the year that it all started, of course back then it didn't mean as much as it does now, but it's fun to think about how I did grow up along with the The Streak.

It's needless to say, I was shocked when it ended, I mean, I don't take wrestling seriously a lot, I have my moments where I do but more-so in what most would call "OMG Moments" and that match, that ending, all of it, was definitely an OMG Moment. It was a moment where my heart sank, the whole "wrestling has just died", "WrestleMania has just died" things never crossed my mind, but the thought of this being the end of The Undertaker, that was what crossed my mind.

It was an odd, but happy moment for me. The Undertaker has put so much into the business, his body paints a picture of a man that put his life into a business that he dedicated himself to, that became a big part of his life, and it was in that moment that he was pinned, I looked at Undertaker with deep respect for what he's done for the company, while I'm saddened to see The Streak end, I'm happy to see it end too because I'm certain it was on Undertaker's terms, and it allows him some relief on his shoulders.

The guy has done just about enough for the business, there really isn't anything more that needs to be done or that he needs to prove, sure MAYBE another match wouldn't be bad, it's unlikely, but possible, but if this is the end, even if the match wasn't up to par with others at XXX, Undertaker did something he always does, he didn't complain, he didn't bitch, he didn't whine, he sucked up that concussion and STILL tried to make that match last with Brock, that is a testament to who The Undertaker is, and that alone makes me extremely proud to see the end of The Streak, if Undertaker felt it was for the best, then it's for the best.

Undertaker was never defined by just The Streak, sure it became a bigger deal later in years, but the man, the storyline involved with the character, the matches he was in, those are far more important of memories to remember about him, and that is why, Undertaker is a Hall of Famer.

... Now onto Brock. I'm not the biggest Brock fan, in fact, there was always something about the guy I never liked, but the guy could certainly go in the ring, and that's something to admire. He probably wouldn't have been my pick to end The Streak (honestly, if I had my pick it would have been a heel Sheamus), but that's besides the point. Undertaker gave The Streak to Brock for a reason, and I highly doubt Undertaker would have done it just to be "done and over with The Streak" he could have walked away at anytime. With this in mind, it's my hope, Brock will not do something stupid and walk off, but something tells me there is a mutual respect that would prevent something like that from happening.

Nonetheless, this is good for Brock, this is good for the business, and it's good for a company that, I have to say has been sort of lacking on a good top heel.

Flat out one of the dumbest booking decisions in company history. I was in disbelief when reading about it. I haven't watched very much wrestling lately, but from what I've been told Lesnar wasn't booked very well leading up to the match. Hardly the unstoppable monster Lesnar of 2002. Now, if it was that Lesnar? I might not have a problem with this, because that Lesnar really was booked to be unstoppable and the streak wasn't even really a thing yet. But this wasn't that Lesnar, this was "show up every few months and look equal parts awesome and lazy" 2014 Brock Lesnar. Granted he's got the UFC mystique now but for the stature and legacy of the streak in this day and age it still wasn't appropriate.

The main problem with the decision is that it really pays no dividends to anyone involved. Sure, it gives Lesnar a bit of a bump being the man to finally end the streak and it certainly gives Heyman some great promo fuel, but it doesn't help the guy as much as you might think simply because his win doesn't seem believable. Sure, if this was a legit shoot sport it would make perfect sense, an aging veteran at the end of the line losing to one of the strongest wrestlers in the business. But wrestling is scripted, and as fans we're painfully aware of that. So when Lesnar wins, it doesn't seem impressive, it seems silly. The Undertaker at Wrestlemania is supposed to be unstoppable, whether you like him or not, he's supposed to be the Michael Jordan of the show. He has no equal and always finds a way to pull out the win. Having him lose to Lesnar after the epic battles against HBK in recent years just doesn't seem realistic, as strange as that sounds. It comes off like stunt booking at it's worst, done simply for the shock value. And sure, that shock value was huge, I don't think I've ever seen an arena of wrestling fans so shocked in my life. But it was just a stunt, done simply for that short-term reaction.

It's almost certain that 'Taker probably made the decision to have Lesnar go over himself, but I'm sorry, this is a case where creative should have vetoed the man's decision. I guess this proves once and for all that aside from Triple H, no one has had more backstage influence in WWE history than 'Taker. This totally destroys the mystique and legendary nature of the Streak. It makes everything that went before it practically pointless. It reminds me of a shitty old slasher film called Splatter University I once watched (spoilers ahead, because you know, I'm sure you don't want Splatter fucking University spoiled for you). You spend the entire film following the heroine around from one near escape to the next, only for it all to end with the killer literally just walking up to her, killing her, and that's the end. Credits roll. Well that stupid girl should have survived in some inexplicable way just like 'Taker's streak should never have been finished. It makes everything that went before it absolutely pointless in retrospect. Sure, it doesn't take away from the great matches themselves, but their whole reason for existing is now moot.

I'll save my final thoughts on this for when I've actually sat down and watched the full match properly and not just the ending, but man, what a dumb decision. They just destroyed their single most reliable annual Wrestlemania angle, the one that gives the show that unmistakable big-show feeling. I'm not saying the show won't still have that, but for me and a lot of fans one of it's biggest drawing points has been thrown away for seemingly no reason. If Undertaker is planning on retiring in the immediate future, why not go out on top, with the streak intact? If he really wanted to give Lesnar a big rub he could have saved his big win for a later time closer to his retirement and given Lesnar credit for "putting him out of the business". This just comes off as distasteful stunt booking with no regard for the fans.

Flat out one of the dumbest booking decisions in company history. I was in disbelief when reading about it. I haven't watched very much wrestling lately, but from what I've been told Lesnar wasn't booked very well leading up to the match. Hardly the unstoppable monster Lesnar of 2002. Now, if it was that Lesnar? I might not have a problem with this, because that Lesnar really was booked to be unstoppable and the streak wasn't even really a thing yet. But this wasn't that Lesnar, this was "show up every few months and look equal parts awesome and lazy" 2014 Brock Lesnar. Granted he's got the UFC mystique now but for the stature and legacy of the streak in this day and age it still wasn't appropriate.

Well the thing about Brock Lesnar is that he's a legit guy. I mean sure he works part time and some may question whether a guy who is only in the WWE for a paycheck should be the one to break the streak.

Of course I was thinking about that same question as well but then I thought of it again and realized, yeah I can accept Lesnar being the one that ends the streak.

Why? Because he's Brock Lesnar. He's a legit tough as heck bada$$. He's an experience amateur wrestler, an MMA Fighter, UFC Champion, and he just looks like a monster and can legitimatize take anyone on and beat them senseless.

It's basically Brock Lesnar at his physical peak against a 50 year old Undertaker. When you saw Taker toe to toe with Lesnar, Taker looked like an old man. I was actually thinking at the back of my head that Taker didn't look like he can beat someone like Lesnar.

That said I didn't want the Streak to end. And the match was pretty terrible to be honest.

But I've come to peace with Lesnar beating Taker.

Now to what happens next. Picture this.
2015, Undertaker is inducted to the HOF. Then a month later Sting is also inducted to the HOF.

Sting returns on RAW, cuts a promo and says there is only one thing left he wants to do in his career and challenge Undertaker to a match at WM a "one more match" moment with two legends. It's no longer about the Streak it's about two legends recently recently inducted to the HOF having one more match as their swan song.

Now we have an iconic match almost 18 years in the making (since Sting did his crow gimmick). And now either guys has a shot at winning.

The main problem with the decision is that it really pays no dividends to anyone involved. Sure, it gives Lesnar a bit of a bump being the man to finally end the streak and it certainly gives Heyman some great promo fuel, but it doesn't help the guy as much as you might think simply because his win doesn't seem believable. Sure, if this was a legit shoot sport it would make perfect sense, an aging veteran at the end of the line losing to one of the strongest wrestlers in the business. But wrestling is scripted, and as fans we're painfully aware of that. So when Lesnar wins, it doesn't seem impressive, it seems silly. The Undertaker at Wrestlemania is supposed to be unstoppable, whether you like him or not, he's supposed to be the Michael Jordan of the show. He has no equal and always finds a way to pull out the win. Having him lose to Lesnar after the epic battles against HBK in recent years just doesn't seem realistic, as strange as that sounds. It comes off like stunt booking at it's worst, done simply for the shock value. And sure, that shock value was huge, I don't think I've ever seen an arena of wrestling fans so shocked in my life. But it was just a stunt, done simply for that short-term reaction.

It's almost certain that 'Taker probably made the decision to have Lesnar go over himself, but I'm sorry, this is a case where creative should have vetoed the man's decision. I guess this proves once and for all that aside from Triple H, no one has had more backstage influence in WWE history than 'Taker. This totally destroys the mystique and legendary nature of the Streak. It makes everything that went before it practically pointless. It reminds me of a shitty old slasher film called Splatter University I once watched (spoilers ahead, because you know, I'm sure you don't want Splatter fucking University spoiled for you). You spend the entire film following the heroine around from one near escape to the next, only for it all to end with the killer literally just walking up to her, killing her, and that's the end. Credits roll. Well that stupid girl should have survived in some inexplicable way just like 'Taker's streak should never have been finished. It makes everything that went before it absolutely pointless in retrospect. Sure, it doesn't take away from the great matches themselves, but their whole reason for existing is now moot.

I'll save my final thoughts on this for when I've actually sat down and watched the full match properly and not just the ending, but man, what a dumb decision. They just destroyed their single most reliable annual Wrestlemania angle, the one that gives the show that unmistakable big-show feeling. I'm not saying the show won't still have that, but for me and a lot of fans one of it's biggest drawing points has been thrown away for seemingly no reason. If Undertaker is planning on retiring in the immediate future, why not go out on top, with the streak intact? If he really wanted to give Lesnar a big rub he could have saved his big win for a later time closer to his retirement and given Lesnar credit for "putting him out of the business". This just comes off as distasteful stunt booking with no regard for the fans.

Dude did you watch the Undertaker at WM30?? He can't do it anymore and I don't feel there is anyone better to have end the streak than Lesnar. He has lost 2 matches since coming back and though he lost he dominated both matches for the most part. He is still destroying everyone he faces regardless of match outcome. Undertaker was Unstoppable at WM Brock Lesnar is Unstoppable!!!!!! You ask why not go out with the streak in tact cause in Pro Wrestling the right way to go out is by doing the job. Thats how Flair left how HBK left and thats how the Undertaker wants to go. Fans make wrestling but this belief that wrestling should follow what the fans want I totally disagree with. We are fans thats it. We don't know the wrestling business as much as many here think they do.

When the 3 count came, I was gutted, as I am an Undertaker mark.

Whilst IMO Brock Lesnar (as a $5 million part-timer) does not deserve the honor of the man who broke the streak, in the end it was taker himself who hand-picked Lesnar to break the streak.

But now its over, no-one can change the fact that its over, the streak will always be a feat that will never be matched & taker can now retire with pride that he defended it for 21 years.

I think Taker is a million-times worthy of a HOF induction next year & no-one can deny that fact IMO.

I know a lot of people have the habit of defending what they cannot change but this was a bonehead decision imo. No one benefits from this.

* Undertaker didn't need the streak to be broken in order to have his career draw to a close or fully retire.
* Lesnar didn't need to beat the streak in order to be taken seriously.
* Heyman didn't need the streak broken in order to be considered one of the greatest managers of all time.

Even with Lesnar breaking the streak, it doesn't really matter because on one hand, we know that Lesnar is a legit fighter who could beat anyone on the roster in a real fight. On the other hand, Lesnar has already lost a bit to other guys since 2012 so we know he's fully capable of being beat in the WWE. So Lesnar beating the streak doesn't even make him look any better than we already thought of him.

You can try to sell this as if it was a good decision but no one is truly benefiting from this except MAYBE Cesaro. (And that's a stretch) And I'll go as far as to say that if Cesaro doesn't use his push to get fully acclimated with clearly, comfortably, and concisely delivering promos without a manger, then the heat Heyman (supposedly) gets from a WM Taker loss won't even positively affect Cesaro either.

This was a dumb decision that was only in place for shock value...and the problem with shock value is that it's only shocking the first time around. After that, it better be prudent to propelling a storyline. (i.e. The reveal of Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's father) So far, this appears not to be worth it at all.

(Laziness made me c/p this from my response elsewurr)

You know what pisses me off more than anything? Still no word from taker and probably not gonna see him for a long time. At least come on TV soon and address this. Otherwise the whole thing was a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back