Summerslam 2013 & Aftermath Discussion (Keep it in here!!!!)

Who's #1?

• Cena VS. Bryan

• Punk VS. Lesnar

• Too Close To Call

Results are only viewable after voting.
Based how things APPEAR to be shaping up, I think the final cared MIGHT like this.

WWE Championship - John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

World Heavyweight Championship - Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar

Big Show & Mark Henry vs. The Shield

Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow

Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn vs. Big E. Langston & AJ Lee.

I've read reports that WWE had planned for Big Show to return and team up with Mark Henry in a 2 on 3 handicap match against The Shield. It could still happen if Show returns this Monday if he's medically cleared. If this match does go down, I think Show & Henry will wind up winning to potentially set themselves up as challengers for the tag titles. Henry & Show have both been in several six man tag matches against them but have always met with defeat. So with Show returning, if he returns for this match to go down, I don't see him losing his first match back.

If Show isn't back, then I think WWE will go this route:

WWE United States Championship - Dean Ambrose vs. Mark Henry

WWE Tag Team Championship - Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns vs. The Usos

Going to SummerSlam once again, so I'll most likely miss the discussion here. Same for Raw the night after. Lesnar needs a win here since his record is 2-2 and a decisive one after Triple H made him look like a bitch at Extreme Rules. I mean seriously, he couldn't even move around without the damn sledgehammer and he got help from Heyman when he shouldn't have. I'm sure some people have made the argument that Punk spent the last big 2 pay per views putting guys over, which he has. But Punk winning at SummerSlam isn't good for business, It will affect Brock's big star aura and his box office appeal (that's where all the MONEY comes from) Plus, it's easier to do a rematch if Brock wins, and hopefully it's by submission like last year when HHH tapped out to a broken arm.

Based how things APPEAR to be shaping up, I think the final cared MIGHT like this.

WWE Championship - John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

World Heavyweight Championship - Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar

Big Show & Mark Henry vs. The Shield

Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow

Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn vs. Big E. Langston & AJ Lee.

I've read reports that WWE had planned for Big Show to return and team up with Mark Henry in a 2 on 3 handicap match against The Shield. It could still happen if Show returns this Monday if he's medically cleared. If this match does go down, I think Show & Henry will wind up winning to potentially set themselves up as challengers for the tag titles. Henry & Show have both been in several six man tag matches against them but have always met with defeat. So with Show returning, if he returns for this match to go down, I don't see him losing his first match back.

If Show isn't back, then I think WWE will go this route:

WWE United States Championship - Dean Ambrose vs. Mark Henry

WWE Tag Team Championship - Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns vs. The Usos

I'm not a big fan of any of those matches for The Shield but they do seem likely. If Rollins & Reigns do defend the tag belts I'd like to see it be a triple threat with The Real Americans thrown in as them and The Usos have traded wins recently.

Maybe for a US title challenger they can do a battle royale on the pre-show, have RVD win and do Ambrose vs RVD on the actual Summerslam card.

Cool little dirtsheet nugget I came across this morning: the pre-show/kickoff match could be RVD vs. Antonio Cesaro. As always, I'm hesitant to believe the sheets, even Meltzer and company, but I'd really like to see that match.

Cool little dirtsheet nugget I came across this morning: the pre-show/kickoff match could be RVD vs. Antonio Cesaro. As always, I'm hesitant to believe the sheets, even Meltzer and company, but I'd really like to see that match.

On the pre-show?

So, you're telling me that you're cool with WWE making a big deal about a guy's return one month before it happens, debuting him in the main event of a PPV match of which he has won before, and then following it up the next month with keeping him OFF of the PPV broadcast???

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg

Put him in the WHC match, give him something with Curtis Axel...give him something somewhat high profile. Otherwise, "using him to get younger guys over" isn't going to work because RVD will not have a ton of overness himself.

On the pre-show?

So, you're telling me that you're cool with WWE making a big deal about a guy's return one month before it happens, debuting him in the main event of a PPV match of which he has won before, and then following it up the next month with keeping him OFF of the PPV broadcast???

Put him in the WHC match, give him something with Curtis Axel...give him something somewhat high profile. Otherwise, "using him to get younger guys over" isn't going to work because RVD will not have a ton of overness himself.

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. It's RVD. He's not that big of a deal; or, I should say his "overness" is wanting. Pre-show matches have been getting good amounts of time. It'll be a great match. That's all I need from RVD-- entertaining matches.

Yes, that's what I'm telling you. It's RVD. He's not that big of a deal; or, I should say his "overness" is wanting. Pre-show matches have been getting good amounts of time. It'll be a great match. That's all I need from RVD-- entertaining matches.

RVD is still plenty over on his own accord. Why do you think WWE hyped his return a month out?

It's RVD...former WWE champ and the biggest long-term guy to come out of ECW. He can work great matches and be an asset to WWE's upper midcard programs. He's not Brodus Clay or 3MB...he has plenty that he can legitimately offer from an upper card standpoint. If he was going to be relegated to the pre-show, why have him go over Del Rio?

RVD is still plenty over on his own accord. Why do you think WWE hyped his return a month out?

It's RVD...former WWE champ and the biggest long-term guy to come out of ECW. He can work great matches and be an asset to WWE's upper midcard programs. He's not Brodus Clay or 3MB...he has plenty that he can legitimately offer from an upper card standpoint. If he was going to be relegated to the pre-show, why have him go over Del Rio?

I just want to see RVD vs. Cesaro, dude. I don't care why they hyped him nor do I care to see him win the World Heavyweight Championship. A good analogue for where RVD is right now would be Jimmy Snuka in 1989. A once top-card veteran, back on the scene, who is getting up there in age but can still entertain in the ring. He doesn't need titles, title matches, or any clever booking. He just needs to wrestle and sell whatever tickets and merch he can with with whatever name value he has left.

As everyone will know now, Sheamus was injured in the MITB match and with continuous matches after has left him with a serious injury, putting him on the shelf for 4-6 months.

However, I think everyone would know that Sheamus would have had a prominent match at Summerslam if he wasn't inured but who do you think he would have faced?

My pick would be Ryback. Sheamus has done the whole he hates bullies angle before, and Ryback is seen as being a typical heel bully now, and I think since Ryback hasn't done anything meaningful recently, there were plans for a Sheamus and Ryback feud with Ryback probably winning this match and for it to continue.

What do you reckon?

I think he would have ended up being in a match with Mark Henry and a third opponent against The Shield. One possible scenario could have been a short lived face turn for Ryback, which would have seen him team up with Henry and Sheamus only to turn on them at SummerSlam, leading to a Shield win and starting a fued between Ryback and either Henry or Sheamus, or possibly both.

We are a few days away.... The card has been announced.....

You watching it alone and streaming it? Having a few friends over? Going to a bar with other fans? Not gonna watch it?

What do you usually do for WWE ppvs...

Me myself im going to try to go to a bar or a buffalo wild wings and try to catch with other fans.... Being in a room with other WWE fans gives you license to start screaming for your favorite for no reason....

What about the rest of you?

With the show only a few days away, after tonight's SD!, the card looks to be set. I'm predicting it'll go down this way.

WWE United States Championship: Dean Ambrose vs. Rob Van Dam - Winner: Dean Ambrose. I expect that this match will go to about the 10-12 minute mark. The fact that RVD scored the pinfall on Ambrose tonight in a six man tag is a strong suggestion he won't pick up the strap this Sunday. It's looking as tough Big Show & Mark Henry will either be in RVD's corner while Rollins & Reigns are in Ambrose's corner. If that happens, there's a strong possibility of RVD losing via disqualification. There's also a chance of Show & Henry mixing it up with Rollins & Reigns on the outside, causing general chaos around ringside in which the ref is trying to break things up. One of the Shield members could interfere, thereby allowing Ambrose to win or Ambrose cheats some other way while everything else is going on.

WWE Tag Team Championship: Rollins & Reigns vs. Big Show & Mark Henry - Winners: Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns via pinfall. Since WWE has stressed that the Kickoff Show is an hour long and due to the angles we've seen over the past week, I'd say this will be an "impromptu" match that'll be made on the spot. If Show, Henry & RVD hadn't won the six man tag tonight on SD!, I'd have probably gone with Show & Henry to pick up the win and RVD to possibly have picked off Ambrose. However, I don't see it happening. It's only Big Show's 2nd match back but I don't see Show & Henry walking out with the titles. If Ambrose & RVD are out of the picture somehow if this match goes down, the action will eventually break down. I ultimately see either Show or Henry taking the fall after eating a spear from Reigns.

Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow - Winner: Damien Sandow. Sandow has come up on the short end of things during his program with Cody Rhodes, including having been cost a match against Randy Orton this past Monday. Because of that, I think he'll get some retribution; possibly stealing a win via a roll up while holding the tights at the 12-14 minute mark. WWE MIGHT extend this feud and make the next match for the MITB briefcase, but I think Sandow walks out with the win here.

Natalya vs. Brie Bella - Winner: Undecided. The only reason this match is even on the card is because of the success of Total Divas. There'll be some level of chaos around ringside, of course, with all the Divas getting into it. With Nikki injured, legitimately, then Twin Magic is probably not gonna be happening. I'm leaning more towards Natalya but, all in all, I don't really care who wins this.

World Heavyweight Championship: Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian - Winner: Alberto Del Rio. Del Rio has lost to Christian cleanly in two very good matches. Tonight on SD!, he attacked Christian from behind after the latter's match with Damien Sandow but Christian ultimately came out on top again. It'll surprise me if Christian walks out with three straight wins over Del Rio, but I won't be at all unhappy if he does. I just don't expect it to go down and I think Del Rio retains around the 15-17 minute mark.

Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn vs. Big E. Langston & AJ Lee - Winner: Dolph Ziggler & Kaitlyn. All in all, AJ Lee has had Kaitlyn's number for the past couple of months whether it's inside the ring or as part of the head games AJ has played. On SD! tonight, she scored another victory over Kaitlyn by pinning her in a Divas tag match. Ziggler has yet to score a win over Big E, so it's entirely possible that he'll score the win for his team as Kaitlyn has already scored a clean pinfall over AJ in a non-title match several weeks back. I think the babyfaces get the win at the 8 to 10 minute mark.

Ring of Fire: Kane vs. Bray Wyatt - Winner: Bray Wyatt. This is Bray Wyatt's debut match in WWE and I see zero chance of him losing to Kane. Even though the "ring of fire" is stated to be designed to keep Harper & Rowan out of the ring, I still see it being worked in where Kane winds up getting badly "burned" somehow. I was expecting Wyatt to win anyhow, but it's all but confirmed since Kane is going to be filming See No Evil II sometime in the near future, so I see this as a means of writing Kane off television for the next couple of months. Wyatt scores the win probably at the 10-12 minute mark.

The Best vs. The Beast: CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar - Winner: CM Punk. I remember reading when Lesnar first signed with WWE that, for the most part, he was going to be used as a way of ultimately putting over WWE talent. With the way Lesnar's deal is structured, it's not really surprising and is the right call in my eyes. Based on what I read either the beginning of this week or at the end of last week, Brock Lesnar isn't advertised for the post SummerSlam Raw. That's a strong sign that Punk walks out with the win. I've also read within the past few weeks that the 3 year deal Punk signed with WWE ends next year and John Cena is expected to take time off in the near future to have surgery on his left elbow. With the return of Monday Night Football not too far off and Punk's deal allegedly ending, WWE is going to not only want to keep him happy but keep him booked to look very strong. I expect CM Punk to score the win in this match around the 25-27 minute mark.

WWE Championship: John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan - Winner: Undecided. Given that Cena is said to be taking time off soon after SummerSlam, the odds of him leaving with the title are pretty slim. I read something earlier this week stating that the main event for Night of Champions is, allegedly, penciled to be Orton vs. Bryan but the report didn't mention who would be WWE Champion. Daniel Bryan has a huge wave of momentum right now and I don't think WWE is going to let this opportunity slip by. Bryan has stated that he intends to make Cena tap out, which not many people believe because...well it's John Cena. However, given that his elbow is said to be in much worse shape than is being publicly told, I'm wondering if WWE will use this moment to give Bryan a decisive victory by having Cena tap as part of a means of writing him off television for a while. Personally, I want to see Bryan win but there are so many variables. There've been reports that Triple H might go heel at SummerSlam. Maybe Trips will decide to take Cena out for Bryan. Maybe Trips will screw Bryan over. Maybe he'll call it right down the middle. Vince will probably interject himself in this match somehow. Then there's Randy Orton as he has the MITB briefcase. Will he cash it in at SummerSlam? If so, will he be successful? Again, would Triple H somehow prevent Orton from either cashing in or cashing in successfully? Would Bryan, if he won, be able to come out of nowhere to upset Orton, making him the first MITB contract holder to cash in and actually 100% lose? Will Daniel Bryan walk out with a clean, decisive victory and generate a massively memorable moment? At any rate, I expect this match to go to at least about the 30 minute mark.

As Orton continues to constantly tease a cash-in, I think it's more unlikely he'll actually do it on Sunday. History has proven WWE goes for the shock value for the vast majority of MITB cash-ins. Edge, Ziggler, Del Rio, Miz, CM Punk. The list goes on and on.

With Orton standing at the top of the stage, and raising the red briefcase on Smackdown and Raw this week, it would be way too obvious, if he actually cashed in on Sunday. BUT that could leave the door open for a cash-in on the following Monday night. Just keep Orton off of the show until the time comes, and I'm sure Orton's cash in will produce the shocking moment we're all looking for, and piss the fans off, (especially if Bryan's champion) fueling Orton's long awaited heel turn.

I'm thinking they'll use the cash-in to turn HHH heel and set up the Daniel Bryan title chase for the next couple of months. As long as Cena doesn't walk out with the title, given that he's set to take time off, then I'll be fine.

The best ppv of the year. Del rio/christian, punk/lesnar and bryan/cena were all great matches and sandow/rhodes was solid.

Exactly! Holy Shit! I guess nobody would be complaining about this PPV. How I wish I could be there in person. It's been a long long time since we were treated with so many great matches. Like you said, Sandow and Rhodes gave us their 100% in this PPV. Those were the 4 matches that stood out to me too!

The two standout matches of last night's SummerSlam turned out to be, as expected, CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar and John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Championship. It was announced earlier in the night that Punk vs. Lesnar would be no disqualification, though I thought it was odd that it wasn't no DQ from the beginning. For Cena vs. Bryan, it was announced on Raw this past Monday that Triple H would be the special referee and would call the match down the middle. So which do you think was the better match?

For me, it might be too close to call. Punk vs. Lesnar was a fantastic, show stealing brawl that should have silenced all the "Punk isn't believable because he's too small" talk. If it didn't, then you're either deluded or you simply don't want to admit you were wrong. According to reports, both guys were given a standing ovation by the wrestlers backstage and the crowd at the Staple Center certainly enjoyed it. I was initially against the idea of Punk losing because of the possibility of it being a one time match. The match itself changed my mind in that Punk was booked to be every bit the equal of Lesnar and seemed to have him beaten more than once during the match. With the way it ended and with how good the match was, I find it difficult to believe that there won't be a rematch at some point.

As for Cena vs. Bryan, for me personally, it exceeded my expectations. I knew it'd be a great match in the first place, so to see it rise so high was a very nice treat. Lots of physical back & forth action, great storytelling and packed with believable near falls. However, the ending was the highlight for me because, frankly, I didn't see it happening the way it did. I expected there to be some interference from Vince or from Randy Orton, even from Brad Maddox possibly. Some may have preferred it, given how the night ultimately ended, but I felt it would've taken away from the match. I think most people expected Bryan to come out with a win but I don't think many people expected it to be a legit, 100% clean victory. What happened with Orton & Triple H afterward was post match, so it didn't affect Cena vs. Bryan in and of itself. Part of me would have preferred to see Bryan leave with the title while, at the same time, I knew that it probably wouldn't happen. I'm also interested to hear Triple H's explanation for the screwjob and how it affects the angle with Vince.

Arguments can be made for and against both matches. They were both genuine match of the year candidates regardless and all four men worked their asses off. For me personally, I might have to go with Cena vs. Bryan because of the surprise ending. The match had the overall ideal showing in which Bryan & Cena went at it without any interference or attempted interference that could have led to an overbooked ending. Bryan scoring the win over Cena was the right outcome but the icing on the cake was the clean pinfall.

What an awesome show. Summerslam 2013 was a great PPV event worth every penny. The pre-show was good although it could have been better and should have been on the main card. Starting things off with the Inferno match was an interesting choice. Bray winning came to no surprise. He needed the win. I wasn't quite expecting Cody to get the win over Damien, which will be good for Rhodes. Next time they should feud over the briefcase. Christian and Alberto Del Rio delivered a very enjoyable World Heavyweight Championship match. The divas match myself and most of the others chose to not watch, only one of my guests at my PPV party watched it and he said it was better than he expected.

We all came back into the den for CM Punk VS Lesnar. Now THAT was a good match. I won't be against it if a rematch were to take place. It was second only to the main event for me. The mixed tag match wasn't that great, although it provided fans with a chance to relax in between the two biggest matches. John Cena VS Daniel Bryan was my favorite match of the night. It delivered and fully lived up to the hype. Daniel Bryan got a shocking victory over Cena and had his moment.... which was almost immediately tarnished by Randy Orton cashing in after Trips turned heel. I'm VERY interested in seeing where things go from here. All in all, an extremely good show. I put it in the top 3 for the year so far, joining Wrestlemania 29 and Payback (in no particular order).

DAGGER'S REVIEW
A (95 out of 100)

Summerslam Hits and Misses:

Summerslam Hits:

Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk: This barely gets match-of-the-night honors for me over the Cena/Bryan match. This was an incredible match/fight, with an incredible story being told along the way. Ultimately, it was Punk's obsession with getting his hands on Heyman that cost him, and he took it to Lesnar like no one else has prior. Never once going in did I expect him to throw more offense at Lesnar than anyone prior since Lesnar's return, and Punk had the 1-2-3 after hitting the GTS, only for Heyman to break it up. The tease of the F-5 following Punk going after Heyman only for Punk to counter into a DDT and the Anaconda Vice was an incredible sequence. Despite losing, Punk looks even stronger in defeat with all the offense he took and gave back to Lesnar, and Lesnar looks like a monster, especially with the brutal chair shots and the F-5 onto the chair to finish it. This was a fight from start to finish, incredibly stiff, and well-wrestled by both men. Throw whatever criticisms you like at Lesnar, but he showed he can really go in a major way. The psychology of it was brilliant here, and the match of the year in WWE thusfar. ****3/4.

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena: A completely different match than the Lesnar/Punk one, but equally as good. This show was built around these two matches, and both delivered in a major way. Bryan and Cena went to war in a match that featured an incredible ending with Bryan not getting the win on a teased roll-up small or Cena passing out to the LaBell Lock, but rather, a double-knee shining wizard. It's surprising that Bryan got such a clean victory over Cena, but it worked within the context of Bryan's push in that he's been unstoppable in the ring. The energy both men brought was incredible, especially impressive with Cena not wrestling his typical style at all times and being injured as well. Just a fantastic match with both men showing what they were capable of given 30 minutes to work with. ****1/2.

Randy Orton walks out WWE Champion: It made little sense otherwise for HHH to be referee in the match and nothing to happen, and while there's a logic hole in that Orton destroyed his family and HHH himself 4 years earlier, it can work within the context of COO HHH as opposed to HHH the wrestler. HHH can sell it as being "better for business" rather then a true alliance with Orton. This seems like a logical next step in Bryan's feud with the McMahon's, and presents the possibility of getting Bryan over even more when/if he overcomes Orton and HHH after overcoming John Cena already.

Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio: A fantastic match for the World Heavyweight Championship. If creative had spent time putting a true issue between the two, this could have been even better, but that being said, this was a very good match as well. There's the spot where Christian had Del Rio down for two 3-counts when Del Rio had him in the cross-armbreaker that wasn't acknowledged by the announcers, but other then that, both men worked a strong match with some excellent counters and reversals, including into the cross-armbreaker that ended the match. A well-wrestled, strong World Title match, probably Del Rio's best of his World Title reigns. It will be interesting to see if Christian gets a rematch or Del Rio moves on. ***1/2.

Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow: A strong match with a somewhat surprising outcome. I suppose the idea could be going into the fall is of Cody being elevated into a World Championship contender with the win. It's the only reason I can think of for him to go over Sandow here, as perhaps Cody wins the World Title only to be cashed in on by Sandow at a later date. Another well-wrestled match on the undercard with a strong finishing sequence of the Disaster Kick, neckbreaker from Sandow, and the reversal into CrossRhodes for the pin. Short, but paced well in the time given. **3/4.

Dolph Ziggler and Kaitlyn vs. AJ and Big E. Langston: A good buffer between the two main events, with the right team winning. AJ has gotten the best of Kaitlyn time and again, and Langston won the single's match between he and Ziggler, so Ziggler gets his win back by slipping out of the Big Ending into the Zig-Zag in a cool and fluid maneuver. I'm still not sure why I'm supposed to care about or like Ziggler as a face, but this was fine for where it was on the card. **

Overall Show:The show was built around the co-main events of Cena/Bryan and Lesnar/Punk, and when both go 30 minutes and deliver in a big way, how can you call this anything but a great show? Both are instant match-of-the-year contenders, and the ending of Summerslam put incredible heat on Orton and HHH while getting fans behind Bryan all-the-more.

The undercard was solid enough as well. Both the World Title match between Christian and Del Rio and the single's match between Rhodes and Sandow were good, and the mixed tag served its purpose very well. There were some bad moments, but it was a show built on two matches, and those two delivered and then some. A.

Summerslam Misses:​

Natalya vs. Brie Bella: This was awful. I actually like the Total Divas show, but that doesn't mean I want to see either Bella wrestle. It's as if they've only regressed as they've become veterans, and despite Natalya's efforts, she couldn't get anything from Brie here. An embarrassment that didn't belong on PPV. 1/4*.

Bray Wyatt vs. Kane in a Ring of Fire Match: It's good to see the gimmick paid off and kept The Wyatt family out of the ring. :rolleyes: This was simply Kane dominating Bray until Harper and Rowan could get into the ring. It gives Bray a victory in his PPV debut, but it wasn't a good one. The post-match angle was decent, and it will be intriguing to see what happens when Kane returns. But the match itself was bad. *1/4.

RVD vs. Dean Ambrose: A good match with a terrible finish. What was the point of having Big Show and Mark Henry ringside to help keep the Shield away, only for the Shield to interfere? Ambrose looked weak here with RVD being on offense 80% of the time, and the ending didn't do him any favors either. Weren't the Shield supposed to be able to fight by themselves as well? **

Ryback:He goes from main-eventing a PPV against John Cena to the "Cryback" role, to bullying a chef on Summerslam. I have no words for how bad this was. It's time to hit reset on the Ryback character.

The Miz hosts Summerslam: Well, this was better then the Rock hosting WM 27 and doing a 20 minute promo to start the show, but surely theree's an in-between. Miz did nothing outside of being cut-off by Fandango, and provided no hype whatsoever. The Fandango interruptions were funny, but the Miz did nothing to enhance the show in any way.

Great show, my favourtie top to bottom PPV since MITB 2011, the two main events delivered in a way I've not felt since Summerslam 2002 when HBK vs Triple H and Rock vs Brock tore the house down.

Fantastic show with two surefire five star classics and MOTY candidates coming from Punk VS Lesnar and Cena VS Bryan. My only real complaint would be Miz, who added absolutely nothing significant as the host of Summerslam. And that pointless backstage segment with Ryback bullying the chef, and pouring tomato soup on him.

You could say the cash-in was predictable, but the Triple H heel turn? Genuinely shocking. I know some people will complain about Triple H inserting himself into a hot main event program, but I'll hold off my criticisms or complaints for now, and wait until the story unfolds.

Del Rio VS Christian was also pretty good, and the mixed tag between AJ, Langston, Dolph, and Kaitlyn wasn't bad for what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back