The Return of the European Championship

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
As I know you all miss the 3rd best... well at least tope 5 best mid card titles. I believe it is time to bring the belt back. I am not saying bring it back as a real belt, but they need to bring it back. This idea was talked about in the Santino Fan-A-Club, and if you are readers of the greatest Fan Club ever, you know where I am going with this.

Bring the European title back as a prop. The title will mean as much as the Million Dollar title. Santino can be the man to bring it back, and give him a chance to once again have a belt. I don't remember the last time I have saw a wrestler do so well as Santino, as when he was in his second IC title reign. He loved that belt more than any champion in the last 5 years. So give him a belt that has no meaning, and he'll treat it like gold.

Santino play a great European heel character, so this will give him a chance to get over more while carrying a European belt. The script writes itself, Santino is still upset he lost the IC title. So what does Santino do? He makes a new title, and treats it as much higher then the IC belt. This gives him a chance to feud with people like Regal (If he remains the IC Champion for long, they can feud between the titles. If he isn't the champion, gives Regal someone else to feud with). He could feud with an American (as in the continent) wrestler, such as Rey Mysterio, who prides himself as a Mexican American.

Who knows what the European title could do. If it remains a prop, it would be a great one. If fans take a liking to the belt, it could become a real belt, perhaps being won by Finlay and going to ECW for a while.

What do you think? Would the return of the European Title, even as a prop, be a good idea for WWE?

I would say no. There's enough titles on Raw as it is. I'd think that Santino's time in WWE is drawing to a close, but I could be wrong. The IC title is seemingly being brought back up to a higher midcard title again, as it should be. The lower midcard really doesn't need another title. If nothing else, once it's back, Smackdown will almost instantly have to come up with it's own version of that title, which would mean 13 different champions in the company. At that point there's just too many titles. While it would only be a prop, it just seems like there would be too many belts. If not for the IC tournament starting and seemingly the title getting a push, then I could see it happening, but for now probably not the best thing.

Yeah I pretty much agree with KB here. The more titles in a company, the less they mean. The credibility of them instantly goes down when they are too many titles in one single company. With the recent Intercontinental Title DVD being released soon, the WWE seems to be treating the title with more respect than what they have for the past few years, which is great to see. The tournament is a great idea and I actually like the fact that former World Champions Rey Mysterio and CM Punk are involved.

The WWE already has too many titles in my opinion, with 5 on Raw and Smackdown along with the ECW Champion. That's a total of 11 champions just in the one company. Santino wouldn't really benefit much from bringing back a title that's bascially his possession only. Look at Booker T for example. His Legends Championship in TNA hasn't benefitted him at all as far as I'm concerned. If the European Title does return, it would make the IC title seems pointless, which will be a shame as they are slowly starting to rebuild it's credibility.

I think Santino is at the stage in his career where he doesn't really need a title to be over with the fans. I doubt he's on his way out anyway. He still entertains me every single week without fail and is a great addition to the Raw roster and the product in terms of the comedy area. So I don't think it would be of much use if the title were to return to the WWE, but I just don't think now is the best time to bring it back.

I don't think this would be such a bad idea... It would be just a little thing that Santino has to make himself feel better about losing the IC Title, and I don't believe it would take any credibility away from the other titles, because no one would be in contention for that title. The Million Dolllar Championship didn't really take away from the other titles did it? It would just be something for Santino to rub in the faces of the fans and fellow wrestlers, it would keep him fresh, funny, and would add to his heel character because he "brought back" the European Championship, which could add to his cockiness (if that's possible). So I don't think it would be a bad idea.

There are enough titles on Raw has already been stated. I want to make a second point. The European title is a nothing belt. The British Bulldog, the original holder was the longest reigning champion, after that it was past around, handed to two individuals (Mark Henry and Mideon), retired once before being dropped completely.

Yes, Santino being European is an advantage (He's Canadian but I digress). So what? Regal and Burchill have been in WWE for years and they never brought it back. La Resistance never brought the belt back, so why does Santino need it? He was a good character as a champion, but he can't just hold a belt for being entertaining as a champion. Have him win back a belt with meaning if they want him to hold gold

I could see it working, but only as a temporary gimmick. Santino gets tired of Regal saying the IC title means more and all that, and he brings back the European title as a means of giving himself something to be proud of. No Honk-a-meter type things though. They don't even need to recognize it as an official title being brought back.

But I think if they were going for anybody to bring back a title that essentially means nothing, I think we should wait for an opportunity where DiBiase can bring the Million Dollar title back. Of course, if that doesn't happen for a few years, then you could do both, but I say don't bring the European title back until you've plotted out the entire storyline that would happen from it, which ends with the title being gone again. Maybe a unification between the IC and European titles where the IC title holder wins.

The European title could have meant something; if it was only defended in Europe for example, during European tours which would have made those tours mean even more, it would have made sense. Because the champion that would carry the belt could say he's the European champion all year-round and would only have to defend it during said tours, making the title valuable because when the tours came around, all the wrestlers would vie for the honor of being European champion. If WWE were to bring the title back in that way, then yes, but if it would just be brought back to be defended all over the world, even though it's the EUROPEAN title or even as just a prop? Probably not a good idea, as it wouldn't mean anything.

Hell, I don't even know what the Intercontinental title stands for. The champion of all the continents, right. Then what's the champion of the world? The oceans? I don't remember John Cena battling sharks and whales. There should be a World title, an European title, and an US title (but to be defended only in the US.) No need for an Intercontinental title, that's already the World title.

I've been saying for many, many months now that WWE should add or bring back atleast one more championship. The only problem with that is that too many people are saying that WWE already has too many champions, when in reality it could afford to have one more as it would have a dozen champs.

I am not worried about Santino Marella's WWE career coming to a close, as if WWE ever released him, they would be losing a very valuable asset. Santino should also win the Intercontinental Championship back from Regal or someone else sooner or later so bringing back the European Championship would not make sense.

If WWE were to decide to add or bring back a championship, the title should not be exclusive to a single brand. If the European Championship came back, it should be allowed to be defended for all 3 brands and whoever wins it doesn't have to worry about changing brands.

In closing, WWE or Santino for that matter do not necessarily NEED to bring back the European Championship, but it could benefit the company in more ways than it would hurt it.

Hell no, that title was nothing on the mark of changing anyone's career, it was for people like Regal (back in the day), Xpac and any other person that had nothing going for them at the title.

The title picture as it is, is in need of more quality as I said in another thread the IC title is the championship that needs to be re-birthed. It has been the laughing point for awhile now.

Lets do a quick history lesson shall we? The European Championship lasted from 1997 until 2002, there were a total of 27 winners, with a combination of 37 reigns between them. I went through and worked out that with the length of time the title was in use (which is 1755 days) and if you were to divide that by the amount of title reigns (37) you will find that the average reign of the European championship was 47 days, that's 5 weeks, that's winning at one PPV, defending it at the next and then losing it the week after on Raw.

There were also only two 'European' winners of this belt; the British Bullddog, and out current Intercontinental Champion, Wiliam Regal. I believe that bringing thisbelt back would be a stupid idea at best, there is no need to bring it back. It was brought back once and MIDEON found it in a duffel bag, HE FOUND THE BELT, didn't even win it!

So this goes to show how worthless this belt is, why should Marella bring it back? If he wants a belt so much,, work hard and gain the title shot. Heck, paint your face and twat people with chairs, it worked for Hardy.

Raw has enough belts at the moment, and there is no need for another belt on this brand, as someone pointed out if the European belt was brought back, then Smackdown would have to bring a belt for it's lower midcard and ECW may even bring in a midcard belt.

I'm going to have to go with a no on this idea. Sure Santino would be a good champ for this title, but theres already so many titles in the WWE. We can hardly fit in every title in the PPV's and we have no room for another one. We have the IC title and I think that is good enough as a mid-card title right now, we don't need another title in the WWE, as it would just complicate things more.

This was a good idea in 2003 now its overkill. The WWE has way too many titles. I mean how valuable are these damn titles when there are so many of them? its like "youre not good enough to be a world champ, so heres a european title". Fuck that man. The European Title would have no value because the titles that they use now have almost no value. There has not been one really great feud over the Intercontinental Title since Jeff Hardy/Johnny Nitro circa 2006 and now its reduced to being a comedy title. Simply put, no on the European Title coming back as it wont benefiot anyone.

Well I think that most of you have missed the point. The European Championship would not be another title. It would just be a prop, similar to lets say, Crash's scale, or Mister Socko. Santino would carry it around and worship it, like he did with the IC belt, but would not have to defend it like a belt. But he could still start feuds over it. Santino could then have use to a weapon, which could help him get over in matches. This gives Santino a window to be able to win matches against bigger opponents. I could still see him using it in feuds with Regal, or any other European wrestler. He could also use it against any wrestler in a Europe vs America mindset.

As a prop, why not? Santino could use it in a storyline, and then he could feud with William Regal over it, and when Regal finally wins it, the GM comes out and says its not an official belt, and he's won nothing. I don't know, but it could be something they could use. But as an actual title, I believe it shouldn't be. There are too many titles in the WWE already, so why do we need another one? It would take more meaning away from the little meaning the belts already have. No reason to bring back a belt, unless for storyline purposes, and only then as a prop.

Why does Santino need a prop? Mostly a prop is used to help a personality get over. Does the European Championship help Santino get over? I don't think so... isn't that what his I.C. run and Beth Phoenix was suppose to do? Santino can get over purely based on the fact that he can entertain a crowd... I don't think the European Championship helps him do that at all. His best prop is a mic and some air time... anything more is a waste... at least for now.

ANOTHER title??? why on the planet earth would you do such a horrid thing?? we already have one too many tag titles, and at least one (maybe two??) too many World titles. HELL fucking no they shouldnt bring back the euro title, or create ANY new title for that matter. You want a title to be a prop for santino, then the IC title wouldve been the way to go. but, they obviously felt there was another direction to go. The mid card titles basically mean nothing as it is, there is ABSOLUTELY no way another one could improve that. Pointless is what it would be.

Well I think that most of you have missed the point. The European Championship would not be another title. It would just be a prop, similar to lets say, Crash's scale, or Mister Socko. Santino would carry it around and worship it, like he did with the IC belt, but would not have to defend it like a belt. But he could still start feuds over it. Santino could then have use to a weapon, which could help him get over in matches. This gives Santino a window to be able to win matches against bigger opponents. I could still see him using it in feuds with Regal, or any other European wrestler. He could also use it against any wrestler in a Europe vs America mindset.

I still say no to this. He had this already, in the IC title. It worked to an extent. Eventually, the props need the in ring and mic work to carry the wrestler. Now Santino has the mic work down, but he's getting to the point where he almost has to have something to get his big reactions. While I get what you mean by using it as a prop, that would just extend the problem: Once that's run its course, where does he go from there? What Santino needs is a bit more wrestling ability/moves to back up his talking. The talking part is all fine and good, but I just don't see where a prop helps him here. The IC title got him over. He shouldn't need a new one.

ANOTHER title??? why on the planet earth would you do such a horrid thing?? we already have one too many tag titles, and at least one (maybe two??) too many World titles. HELL fucking no they shouldnt bring back the euro title, or create ANY new title for that matter. You want a title to be a prop for santino, then the IC title wouldve been the way to go. but, they obviously felt there was another direction to go. The mid card titles basically mean nothing as it is, there is ABSOLUTELY no way another one could improve that. Pointless is what it would be.

Many people think that we have too many championships in the WWE, but you have to review what exactly ''PROP'' means. It would just be something that Santino would use to persuade Shane or Steph to give him an Intercontinental Championship rematch with Regal. Once he shows that he is willing to do anything to regain the title then he'll get the title shot. The IC title would not be a prop for Santino so why would you say that would have been the way to go. Santino would need a replica belt as a prop not the real one. So like I'm saying, the European Championship would not be a mid-card title, just one that Santino would use to get back at William Regal without ever defending it.

I dont need to reveiw what the word means thankyou. I had just figured everyone else in the thread was mistaken, since giving him a prop belt is unthinkably stupid, and even MORE useless than making the title legit. Um, who exactly would give half a flying rats ass about a prop euro title??? NO FUCKING BODY. It would be met with total indifference. You want to compare it to the Million Dollar belt?? are you all fucking KIDDING?? The million dollar belt was carried and made important by the work of the best pure heel of ALL TIME. Its a ridiculous comparison to make. And would do nothing for the IC title, which is what the Santino reigh shoudlve been all about.

I dont need to reveiw what the word means thankyou. I had just figured everyone else in the thread was mistaken, since giving him a prop belt is unthinkably stupid, and even MORE useless than making the title legit. Um, who exactly would give half a flying rats ass about a prop euro title??? NO FUCKING BODY. It would be met with total indifference. You want to compare it to the Million Dollar belt?? are you all fucking KIDDING?? The million dollar belt was carried and made important by the work of the best pure heel of ALL TIME. Its a ridiculous comparison to make. And would do nothing for the IC title, which is what the Santino reigh shoudlve been all about.

I am sorry if you feel that I insulted your intelligence in any way, but I'm just saying... if Santino does not get a rematch for the IC Title he won't have any purpose on RAW except maybe as a jobber. So the European Title would allow him and maybe others to take him seriously and consider him a real contender.

It would be nice to have the belt back, however let's face it we can't have it as a fully functional belt because of the brand split. Having Santino have it would be a neat idea, it would be like the Million Dollar Belt. The writers have to think of what happens after. After all how long would he have the belt? Two months to six? Then what happens next?

i am not opposed to a new title completely. The IC title is comming up to mean what it was and what it should be, they should reneame it the Intercontinental Heavyweight Championship. The US title is supposed to be it's equivelant on Smackdown, and Shelton should defend it more. Not including the womans titles, I think the titles they have are fine. The reason for having a World champ for Raw and Smackdown and even ECW is to not focus on only one guy for three shows but to share the spotlight among three guys. However "I believe" they should do 1 of two things, unify the tag team titles and make The US Champion and the IC champion able to defend their title on any show. The only problem with that is that four house shows the tag champs would have to do both Raw and Smackdown house shows and they have enough dates on the calenadar as is. Only champions should be able to compete on any brand. Or instead of the European chapionship, bring back the TV title and have the title not defended on house shows and only defended on RAW, Smackdown, or ECW but not exclusive to one brand. The TV title should be defended at least 1 show per week. IDK, just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back