The Poetry Thread

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
This is a thread about poetry. Pretty simple. What is your favorite type? Who is your favorite poet? Favorite poem overall? Anything else poetry related? Discuss it here.

I really enjoy Edgar Allen Poe off the top of my head. His style particularly appeals to me and I like his morbid way with words and mood. The Raven and Annabel Lee are two favorites of my, and although I can't remember as I haven't read it in awhile, The Bells strikes in my head as a good one too. Plus, the way he can actually make you hear the bells is amazing.

So, just a quick post to get the thread up and running. Remember no spam. And gave fun.

Here is a small start to a poem I am writing for my girlfriend's birthday. I am hoping that it turns out well. This will either be how I end it or begin it depending on what I can come up with in a week. I am thinking of adding more specifics however I would use this as a hook. I really enjoy writing love poems and my inspiration for them is none other then Edgar Allen Poe except I like to mirror his dark and depressing style of poetry writing.

You're the greatest gift
I have ever recieved,
The brightest star at night
And you've dragged me into your gravity,
You're all I ever want
All I ever need

And all I want is you.

*snaps fingers* Poetry can be beautiful and terrifying all at the same time. I assume by both of your ages that you are both in high school. Please be aware that there is so much more poetry out there that they don't teach you about in public schools. Recently, in the last few years i have began to study the Romantics and their ability to capture "spots in time." Out of the Big Six, William Wordsworth is by far my favorite, and probably can be noted as my current favorite poet. Daffodils is currently my favorite poem.

"Daffodils" (1804)

I WANDER'D lonely as a cloud

That floats on high o'er vales and hills,

When all at once I saw a crowd,

A host, of golden daffodils;

Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine

And twinkle on the Milky Way,

They stretch'd in never-ending line

Along the margin of a bay:

Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they

Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:

A poet could not but be gay,

In such a jocund company:

I gazed -- and gazed -- but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie

In vacant or in pensive mood,

They flash upon that inward eye

Which is the bliss of solitude;

And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

By William Wordsworth (1770-1850).

Beautiful. I had written my own poetry when I was in high school. It was mainly raw words that i used to express my depression. I was playing into the typical "emo" scene and had become a tool to the genre. I've now realized how stupid my thoughts and actions were during that time in my life. All of that comes with maturity I suppose. I no longer write poetry, but I still have a passion for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back