The name ECW dies soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashylarry

Pre-Show Stalwart
Wrestlezone

Dave Scherer reports that starting soon the ECW brand will no longer be treated as a separate company but rather as the 3rd brand of the WWE. Little minor changes such as the women switching from being called Vixens to Divas and the males from Extremists to Superstars will take place. There has also been some discussion about removing the ECW logo from the screen and replacing it with the WWE logo. A lot of this is Kevin Dunn's doing. He thinks the fans are confused and don't realize that ECW is a part of the WWE and he says that's the reason for the low ratings. Also expect the product to be toned down a lot. Vince McMahon is not a fan of hardcore wrestling and he hated the RVD vs. Test match.

Francine & Justin Credible, less hardcore action, replacing The ECW logo with the WWE,This brand may go on. But the name ECW will be dead.

Yeah ECW will be dead, but hasn't it been all along? It was never "ECW" it has always been "WWE: ECW," they just aren't going to pretend that it isn't anymore.

In all honesty, it is not a stupid move. People who were ECW fans before, in my experience, seem to be smarks, and know what is going on. Therefore they already know ECW and know that this version is WWE. But newer fans who did not know ECW before, or are too young to remember, may not know what "ECW" is when they are scrolling through the channels looking for something to watch. If it says WWE, then they know "hey it is wrestling."

Basically, this can only help WWE. And it shouldnt shock anybody who has been following ECW this time around.

justin credible was fired for no showing events so shut up about him already

less hardcore action is a dumb idea it's ecw damn it

ecw or wwe logo on screen who cares really

vince owns it and he will do what he wants watch it or dont

Smokeydogg said:
less hardcore action is a dumb idea it's ecw damn it

vince owns it and he will do what he wants watch it or dont

Your point contradict one another. If it is ECW it should be hardcore obviously, like you said, but then you say Vince owns it and does what he wants so watch it or dont, yet you are saying it is dumb for it to not be hardcore when it is Vince who doesn't want it to be hardcore. Hope that makes since.

But my point was, it is not ECW, it is WWE: ECW, which means less hardcore no matter what. It is a great idea on their part to limit the hardcore-ness of their shows, no matter what brand, because it decreases the wrestlers risks therefore cuts back on chances of wrestlers being seriously hurt on WWE's watch. This is the reason you don't see much piledrivers and other banned moves, it cuts back on chances of people being seriously hurt.

But I believe they should not have bothered with the ECW name knowing they could not allow things to be ECW. They needed an established name in order to better launch the new brand, so they went with ECW because it was the hot topic at the time. I think if they were wanting to make a new brand, they should have done WCW. That way no one expects it to be hardcore, therefore they cannot be disappointed when it is not, but WCW is a mainstream name and would bring in previous WCW fans, and is more widely known that ECW (I assume, no statistical evidence.)

they should have just called it WWE Extreme from the beginning. If they were going to use the ECW name they should have just given complete controll to Haymen.

dude i said vince owns ecw and can do what he wants with it

that doesn't mean i have to like what he does with it but i accept the fact that he is the owner and can do w/e he wants with ecw

DaChamp said:
they should have just called it WWE Extreme from the beginning. If they were going to use the ECW name they should have just given complete controll to Haymen.

no they should of made it clear from the start that this was the 3rd brand of wwe and that heyman would be gm and vince is the owner

ecw is doing good now except for the same matches and organals getting beat up is pretty dumbi like the sprate look of the brand

I HATE KEVIN DUNN!!!!! Seriously, why is this guy held in such high regard by Vince McMahon? He sounds like a complete moron to me, starting with his asinine comment about how ECW ring announcer Stephen DeAngelis had an "annoying" voice, to his criticism and attack on everything the original ECW represented.

Not only does Kevin Dunn sound like a massive tool, but he seems like a complete idiot as well. He insults the intelligence of the wrestling fans not only with the programming (Extreme Strip Poker was a new low in the history of ECW) but by inferring that the fans don't know that ECW is a WWE product. Hey, moron - if the constant promos for Raw Superstar John Cena's movie, appearances from Raw & SmackDown! Superstars and the watered-down style of wrestling didn't give it away, then what the hell would?

There is no need for more "sports entertainment" - we already have four hours of it. The fans of scientific and luchador-inspired wrestling don't have much to choose from - only TNA has a major television deal thus far. As far as the hardcore style that ECW came to be associated with - nothing whatsoever unless you happen to be in the region where CZW is broadcast. If this moron Dunn & McMahon really want to know why the ratings haven't been there, it's this simple - no one asked for third-rate sports entertainment. There's a need for the styles of wrestling I just mentioned, and most people do not have access to it. People are not watching because this is not the ECW that everyone expected.

We all expected it to be watered down somewhat, but because of the quality of the One Night Stand events, we all expected better. Give us close to that caliber of wrestling every week, and we'll tune in. Give us Extreme Strip Poker and lame matches between two slow-moving big guys, and we'll tune out - most of us have better things to do with our time.

I'll probably post this in the Ask A Question thread, but I'm just dying to know: What the hell does Vince McMahon see in this imbecile Kevin Dunn? He sounds like nothing more than a supreme jackass to me.

Code Red said:
I HATE KEVIN DUNN!!!!!
Not only does Kevin Dunn sound like a massive tool, but he seems like a complete idiot as well. He insults the intelligence of the wrestling fans not only with the programming (Extreme Strip Poker was a new low in the history of ECW) but by inferring that the fans don't know that ECW is a WWE product. Hey, moron - if the constant promos for Raw Superstar John Cena's movie, appearances from Raw & SmackDown! Superstars and the watered-down style of wrestling didn't give it away, then what the hell would?

His point, I believe, is that anyone who isn't already watching ECW will not know what ECW is. I use the example of if you were just scrolling through the channels and came accross ECW you wouldn't know what it was because it doesn't say WWE anywhere, and if you weren't familiar with the previous ECW, it wouldn't strike you as very interesting. I think he has a good point, and I am not getting all pissy about it because this ECW is not the real ECW, and people need to accept that and stop hoping that it will become the original ECW, because it won't. WWE is not willing to risk the wrestlers health like the old ECW required. No, they shouldn't have called it ECW if it wasn't going to be ECW, but they did and had a right to the name legally and it was a good way to jump start the new brand, so we all just need to look at it as such. A 3rd brand. Not Extreme Championship Wrestling.

Kevin Dunn is stupid, makeing all the changes is unnecisary all he needed to do to let people know it's a WWE product is change the name from ECW to WWE presents ECW, wow that was trickey, when are people going to relize the simplest solutions are useally the best.

OK so putting a WWE logo in the bottom right or left corner of the screen is a terrrrrrrible thing, but calling it WWE presents ECW is not? I think the logo is a lot more subtle than the name change. And who the hell cares what they call the wrestlers? Extemists sounds really gay. Vixens sounds like ****s. Big whoopy, they call them superstars who the hell cares.

ECW died over 5 years ago, and they only thing keeping the WWECW alive was the ECW connection. Now that that is going away, so will the show, its rating will drop and it will be cancelled within a year. Thanks Dunn for trying to kill it!

The fans have spoken. Where was Dunn when ECW went to Philadelphia and NYC? He probably had his head stuck too far up his ass to notice that the crowd was jeering the boring WWE-styled wrestling and lame sketches that were on display. What they were witnessing was not RAW, SmackDown!, and it certainly was not Extreme Championship Wrestling - it was bottom of the barrel sports entertainment.

If changes need to be made in order to improve ratings, how about bringing WWECW closer to the no-holds-barred, thrill a minute action of the original ECW? Of course we're not expecting as many risks to be taken and as many weapons to be used - that's a given. What I don't understand is why most matches are conducted under WWE rules. Just because you are allowed to use a weapon doesn't mean the match has to be non-stop brutality - just look at any match involving Chris Benoit, Shane Douglas, Lance Storm, Steve Corino, Rey Mysterio Jr., Psicosis, and countless others. Despite owning the library and rights to the name, I doubt McMahon and his buddy Dunn have watched much of what made ECW so great - they're just going to hope that name recognition and substandard sports entertainment will be enough to attract ratings and ad dollars. They thought wrong, at least to their standards. A slightly tamer version of the original ECW - what's wrong with that? It would make the fans happy, and it would be different enough from the other brands that it would help the bottom line. Hey, McMahon - hire me! I will make you a lot more money than this moron Dunn ever will.

I just wanted to share what I have been able to gather about Kevin Dunn, since people seem to have the impression that he is new and doesn't know anything about the business.

The reason McMahon is so found of him is because he has stuck around since 1984. He was part of the production team that introduced Wrestlemania. He was line producer of WMIII which drew 93000 audience, Line producer means he budgeted the show, as well as negotiated with the vendors, hired crew, so on and so forth. Since 1993 he has been the Executive Producer of all WWE programming.And since 2003 he has been Excecutive Vice President of Television production. So he is not just some yodel who was not around in the golden age of wrestling. He has been involved and aware of everything that has happened since 1984 on the WWF/E side of things. Obviously he can make mistakes, and maybe his idea about ECW is going to bomb, but he isn't a complete idiot who has no idea how the business works and wasn't around when it was successful so he has no idea what makes it successful.

I never really thought of Vince McMahon as a bad business man but these further changes (especially the report that they want to make ECW feel more like a 3rd brand of WWE) certainly make him look stupid. A good businessman should never allow his personal interests and opinions lower the quality of the product that he controls. He's not stupid so I'm sure he knows what people are looking for when they watch ECW: an alternative to WWE. I don't know if Kevin Dunn is getting old, but for him to suggest what he is suggesting is sheer idiocy. He'll further tarnish WWeCW

I say they scrap the idea altogether and relaunch it as WCW and send all the currently emlpoyed WCW guys over there. At least expectations arent so friggin high for WCW. Send the ECW guys around to SD! and RAW and let them do whatever.

McMahon and Dunn are idiots if they think that the fans want C-Grade sports entertainment out of ECW. If this is in fact the truth, then I really don't see ECW lasting much longer than a year. WWE will keep Show, Punk, RVD, Holly and Kelly Kelly (who WWE and the fans love for some reason), Dreamer and Snow will go back to their posts behind the scenes, and everyone else will be on the unemployment line.

to be honest the biggest problem with ecw is how you dont really know who is fueding with who

like thorn vs balls wtf happened??

ECW IS DEAD ALREADY!!!! u can't bring back the past. Rhyno, Raven, and all those r in TNA the real ECW heavy weight champion is Rhyno not big show rhyno has the original ECW heavy weight champion if u all didn't know

why not just call it entertainment champion wrestling

ECW is already DEAD LONG TIME AGO

the only thing will change is that they will replace the logo of ECW by WWE and the brand will be called ECW just like RAW & smackdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back