• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Match of 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOSS Productions

Pre-Show Stalwart
As of January 1st, 2010 , 2009 is officially over. So let's start the new year by discussion some of the great matches of 2009.

Now 2009 was an OK year in the WWE , it was a great year for SmackDown until Jeff Hardy left and CM Punk came out of the main event picture but that is just my opinion. RAW brought in a new concept known as the Guest Host and well it sucks, only because most of the hosts don't even know shit about the WWE. These are notable changes in the year of 2009.

Now the rules for this thread are as follow :

Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING)
1). Post 1-5 of your favorite matches that occurred in 2005 (5 is the maximum).
2). You must explain why you like the match you choose.
3). List them in order , so that I know which one you like the best from they year of 2005.
4). STRICTLY WWE MATCHES ONLY.

Now here are my match listings (don't bash me for not listing Undertaker VS HBK as my favorite). :

1). Jeff Hardy VS CM Punk- TLC Match - World Title- SummerSlam 2009 :
The match itself exceeds the TLC Match exceptions. It was great watching it and even though CM Punk won I was still happy to have witnessed a one of a kind TLC Match in the current WWE. Also, when Jeff jumped of the ladder onto CM Punk , it was just icing on the cake which made me like the match even more. This match is great for TLC lovers such as myself therefore , it gets my number one spot.

2). Jeff Hardy VS Edge- Ladder Match- World Title - Extreme Rules: Honestly, I did not know if this match or the one I previously mentioned would be my favorite , so I re watched both DVDs and compared the two matches and came to a conclusion and listed this as my second favorite match of 2009. Two ladder match veterans in a ladder match for the World Title , it was great and had great spots both Jeff and Edge pushed each other to the limit and I really could not tell which wrestler gave the best performance. Also, I was not expecting Jeff to win so the fact that he did win made me like the match even more but CM Punk cashing in his MITB briefcase kind of ruined the phenomenal ladder match that I had just witnessed therefore , this match takes the number two spot.

3). Undertaker VS HBK - WM 25: This match was AMAZING and is one of the reasons why I re watch WM 25 as much times as I do. It was great from the moment it started to the way it ended, it had epic twists that I was not expecting to see , like when Undertaker did his vintage WM dive and missed , now that was unexpected. Also, at times I though HBK would win that is how much I was into this match it was a great experience. I love this match but to say it prevented WM 25 from being the worst WM ever is taking it to far, this match made WM 25 better but WM 25 was not even close to being a terrible WM, it never lived up to the hype but it had a decent card . The only thing that was wrong with it was the fact that the match card was lined up wrong which made the event look lack luster. That is all I can say about this match.

4). Edge VS John Cena VS Big Show - World Title - WM 25- This match was really good in my opinion , even though I hated the build up with Vickie Guerrero ,the match turned out really good and is another reason why I re watch WM 25 as much times as I do.

5). John Cena VS Randy Orton- WWE Title- Iron Man Match- Bragging Rights- I think this match brought the best out of these two guys , in terms of gimmick I mean, this is proven when Orton attempts to well TAKE OUT Cena to deepen his psycho viper gimmick and then Cena furthers his superman gimmick by out powering Orton in impossible situations , which was great to see.

Now those were my match listings , now its your turn.READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING

so for me no surprise 1. is hbk vs undertaker this match had it all 2 future hall of famous the main event stage of wrestlemania a 16-0 streak that for the first time looked to be possible broken and just over 30 mins of finishers and kickouts so no real surprise there.

2. Jeff Hardy VS Edge- Ladder Match this match was perfect the 2 pioneers of tlc in the olden days and both men put on a showcase of an main event match and after all the work jeff put in cm punk comes out and uses mitb which starts of an amazing feud and the end of jeff hardy

3. Christian vs Shelton Benjamin ladder match this match for me stole the show which is what christian wanted to do and he delivered both men where pushed to there limit in an epic match that saw benjamin take your breath away and come so close to the title but Christian was just to good for him on that night.

4. john morrison vs rey mysterio smackdown this match was an amazing display of athletic ability that tour the house down at smackdown and was the first step morrison to wwe greatness

5. Chris Jericho vs Ricky Steamboat backlash. yeah ok i know there are other better matches but how often do you see steamboat fight and come close to beating jericho who at the time was on top form and steamboat had been retired for years.

so thats my choose for top 5 matches feel free to argue your matches or argue with my choice.

my choices would be :

1. Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (WM 25) - I know this has already been said, but this match was excellent. Although I believed Taker would win, there were points in this match where for a moment I thought HBK would steal it.

2. DX vs. Legacy (Hell In A Cell) - I really enjoyed this match. HBK being alone in the cell taking a beating from Legacy i thought was clever, and was well done.

3. John Morrison vs. Rey Mysterio (SD!) - As a fan of JoMo i was so happy that he won this match to become IC Champion. The match was brilliant as well, Rey and JoMo both but on a great performance.

4. Edge vs. Jeff Hardy (Extreme Rules) - Great match between these two. The ending I thought was really well done as well!

5. RAW Elimination Chamber (NWO) - Although it was predictable that Edge would win after taking out Kofi , the way Cena was eliminated came as a shock to me.

1. Undertaker V Shawn - An absolutely astounding match. What can I say about it that hasn't been said already? It was breathtaking. Me and my mate gave it a standing ovation at the end.

2. Edge V Jeff Hardy (Extreme Rules) - I prefer this to the Summerslam one because everyone knew Punk was going to win at Summerslam, this was much more edge of your seat. Edge and Jeff in a ladder match, what could we possibly want any more than that? Great match.

3. John Cena V Randy Orton (I Quit match) - An absolutely diamond performance from both guys, really enhanced both guys I thought. The punishment Cena took was massive and the ending was good. Great stuff.

4. Jeff Hardy V CM Punk (Summerslam) - Their entire series over the summer was fantastic to be honest, this was the best of the lot, could have been better if we hadn't all known that Jeff was on his bike.

5. John Morrison V Rey Mysterio (Smackdown) - The best TV match of the year, brilliant athleticism from both guys and a really well executed match.

Notable mentions to the following:
Edge V Cena LMS @ Backlash
Edge V Morrison - Smackdown sometime in June
Cena V Orton Iron Man @ Bragging Rights
Jericho & Mysterio's entire programme
DX V Legacy Submission Match

1. Jeff Hardy vs. CM Punk (Summerslam)- One of Punk's best matches in what seems to be his career defining feud and Hardy showed why he was one of the best TLC participants ever.

2. John Cena vs. Jack Swagger (RAW)- Swagger showed he had what it took to hang with the best and he and Cena went out there and put on a great free TV match.

3. Rey Mysterio vs. John Morrison (Smackdown)- I was skeptical that they could put on a great match but I was wrong. Close pinfalls throughout and even though I knew Mysterio was going to drop the belt, it didn't take away from the match.

4. Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy (Wrestlemania 25)- The best match of Wrestlemania in my opinion. You can see the hate between the two and they put on one of the most underrated matches this year. Great action throughout and really stood out.

5. Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho (Extreme Rules, Great American Bash)- Take your pick from any one because they were all great. I loved the storyline and Mysterio and Jericho helped revitalize the Intercontinental Title to make it seem important for the first time in almost half a decade.

2009 was a great year in PPVs, as some of you have already stated. Most of the PPVs had at least one or two matches that redeemed the others. I'm just going to go ahead and state the obvious:

#1- Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker- WrestleMania 25

Now, for the actual competition....

#2- Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio- The Bash- Anytime Mysterio and Jericho went at it this year, they always stole the show. Jericho may very well be the wrestler of this decade, and when you put that against the human highlight reel that is Rey Mysterio, the results are great. What I really appreciate about THIS contest was the back and forth in the last five to six minutes of the match.

#3- Smackdown Elimination Chamber- No Way Out- Great action from all six... I mean five superstars involved. Edge's elimination was shocking and helped make this match because if the champion can get pinned in the first few minutes, then anything was bound to happen in the match. The final few minutes between Undertaker and Triple H were awesome.

#4- Iron Man Match- Orton vs. Cena- Bragging Rights- It wasn't the greatest Iron Man match in history, but it was a very solid outing between the two. In a way, it felt like several short segments tied together into one match. There was actual wrestling, hardcore (WWE style) wrestling, and even a little bit of Looney Tunes. Why am I saying that? The part where Orton tries to blow up Cena is a work of absolute brilliance. It felt like the cartoons where Wile E. Coyote would have the Road Runner right where he wanted him only for some outside force of nature to prevent him from making the kill. Looking back, Cena should have lost to add to Smackdown's roster, but I'm glad that Orton did tap before the closing bell. It is a redundant idea whenever someone's in a submission hold and the time limit's about to expire, that person almost ALWAYS holds on for the bell. I don't agree with Cena winning, but it was a good match between the two.

#5- Edge vs. Jeff Hardy- Judgment Day 2009- Of the matches Jeff and Edge had in 2009, this is personally my favorite. I like the pace of it better than their Royal Rumble match or their ladder match a few weeks later. Judgment Day was an underrated PPV, and this might be the underrated main event of the year. Edge and Jeff Hardy have went at it in countless TLC, ladder, and other gimmick matches that it was nice and refreshing to see them have a one on one main event match on a PPV.

At the start of 2009 I was living in the United States and I missed the pay-per-views through to Bragging Rights this year. Also, I was missed all tv from May through early October save for a few weeks here or there until I moved in with my partner and we got Foxtel (Aussie cable).

However, from what I did watch there were three matches that really stood out as far as I am concerned.

1. Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels -- This match was easily the best of the year. It was so good that it has to rank among the absolute best from the entire decade. I loved every second of it. I am so glad that I made the Wrestlemania DVD purchase so I could watch this match. It and the Hardy Vs Hardy match were the reasons why I got this dvd. The back and forth action, the crowd responding in all of the right places, and the series of false finishes which was breathtaking. I loved this match. Up there in my favorite matches of all-time.

2. Rey Mysterio Vs John Morrison, Intercontinental Title on Smackdown - This was during the period when I was back in Australia and a full month before I was able to get Foxtel to watch it again. I was on holiday in Brisbane and staying at a hostel with a few friends. A couple of us wrestling fans stayed up until 2am to be able to watch Smackdown. We hadn't kept up on what was happening so weren't expecting to see anything of real importance that night, we just wanted to chill out. This was easily the WWE television match of the year (from what I had seen). Was a great way to put over Morrison and I was thrilled for him. I love Morrison and have since he first appeared with Bischoff back as Johnny Nitro (after Tough Enough).

3. Randy Orton Vs John Cena, Ironman Match, Bragging Rights - To be completely honest with you I almost didn't purchase this pay-per-view because of this match. Why? In my opinion, before the fight, I felt that there was no way that either man had what it takes to go an hour in the ring and keep everything fresh and the crowd energised. Oh, how glad I was that I was able to purchase the show. Outstanding iron man match. They kept everything fresh and were able to add things to the match that made it overwhelmingly special. Not only that but it was the launching pad for one of my favorite feuds of the year - Kofi Kingston Vs Randy Orton - and they did it so simply as well, by making Kofi make a simple enough save for Cena.

Those are the three matches that I'll walk away from 2009 extremely happy I had the privilege to be able to watch.

Let's just go ahead and state the obvious:

1. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker: Wrestlemania 25: What can I say about this match that hasn't already been said in the WWE threads time and time again? Whether you like either 'Taker or HBK or you don't like them, this match has to rank at the top of your list as the best of 2009. There just wasn't another match up of the entire year that had this much hype. Oh yea, it was also, easily, the most exciting match of the entire year. It was just outstanding.

2. Randy Orton vs. John Cena: Iron Man Match: I went into the match with my doubts(has I always do with John Cena matches). I mean, before this match, Cena and Orton had put on shit match after shit match after, legendarily, shit match. I was beginning to think that the two of them would never be able to pull off a note worthy match for their 2009 feud, however, I was proven wrong with this gem of a match. This match had everything that you could ask for from one match. It had suspense, drama, surprises, great back and forth action, great ring/crowd psychology, and a lot more. I loved this match.

3. Rey Mysterio vs. John Morrison: Intercontinental Title match on Smackdown: This was easily the best match from television of 2009. This match showed that John Morrison could hang with the best in ring performers in the WWE. It also showed why Mysterio is one of the greatest performers of this generation. It was an outstanding match to watch.

4. Shawn Michaels vs. HHH vs. John Cena: Survivor Series: This match was great. It started off with a bang. Who would have thought that HBK was going to start the match off by kicking HHH in the face? This is another match that showed me that John Cena really can be a great in ring performer. Cena provided great back and forth action with both HHH and HBK. It was also really cool to see HHH and HBK face off again. This match had a great beginning, middle, and ending and it told a great story. What a match to watch.

5. DX vs. Legacy: Summer Slam: Some of you may think that I am nuts for putting this match on my list but it really was an outstanding match. It did a lot in terms of solidifying Legacy. Both as a great tag team and as great in ring performers. They held their own with two future hall of famers and it was a really competitive match up. I honestly thought that it was going to be a squash match because of the returning Shawn Michaels, but I was greatly surprised when the match turned out as great as it did. It was my favorite match from Summer Slam 2009.

This is my list. I hope it has some merit.

Here are my top % matches of 2009:

1. Undertaker Vs Shawn Micheals, Wrestlemania 25
Like so many other posters, my top match of 2009 easily goes to the Undertaker Vs Shawn Micheals from Wrestlemania 25. There isn't much that I can say that other people haven't said before me but this match will always stand the test of time and for me, will always be the best match ever

2. Randy Orton Vs Shane McMahon, No Holds Barred, No Way Out
Already a forgotten classic, this wasn't just a wrestling match, this was personal. Four weeks after his father got punted in the head by Randy Orton, Shane McMahon seeked revenge. The buildup to this match was great, with the whole of the Raw roster hating Randy Orton after his Royal Rumble match. While this match didn't have the best technical wrestling, it really made feel for Shane and actually made me exicted for the match

3. Smackdown Elimination Chamber, No Way Out
This match had so many classsic moment, Edge being elimination in under four minutes, Jeff Hardy's huge jumb from top of the chamber and of course the undertaker and tripl h as the last two. The fact theat the buildup was so good makes it better

#1 Chris Jericho vs Rey Mysterio at The Bash (IC Title vs Mask). Just as good as their other matches with the stipulation of Mask vs Title made it more interesting as Jericho had only won the title 3 weeks earlier but there was no way Rey would lose the mask. I had no idea who was gona win and I marked when Rey got the victory. The JD and Extreme Rules were both top notch matches as well

#2 Rey vs Morrison IC Title on Smackdown. Rey got suspended, JoMo got the title in a brilliant match

#3 Edge vs Jeff World Title in a Ladder Match + Punk's cash in. I had no idea who would win, they put on a great match and Punk coming out (Although i knew it was coming) was brilliant.

#4 Jeff vs Punk World Title in a TLC at Summerslam. I figured Punk would of retained at The Bash as Jeff was leaving but then Jeff went and won so i was doubting Jeff was leaving. Great TLC match with Punk pulling of the victory. Then Takers return afterwards lol.

#5 Shelton vs Christian at TLC in a ladder match for the ECW Title. It happened recently so no need to remind everyone

Mentionables
Morrison vs Bourne ECW after the draft
Christian vs Regal Summerslam (Yay for 3 second matches)
DX vs Legacy Trilogy
DX vs JeriShow at TLC
Ziggler vs Rey at Summerslam
Jeff vs Punk Night of Champions
Punk vs Morrison (Their set of matches on a few editions of Smackdown)
Morrison vs Benjamin JD

1. Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels - WM 25 - These guys kept us on the edge of our seats for half an hour. They showed why they are both legends in the wrestling business.

2. CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy - Summerslam - The best feud of the year in my opinion culminated with a fantastic TLC match at Summerslam. This match made me forget about the woes of the PG era as these two men put on one hell of a match.

3. Rey Mysterio vs Chris Jericho - The Bash - These guys always work fantastic matches together, and this one was no different. Just back and forth action the whole time, filled with great spots, and the finish was awesome.

4. Rey Mysterio vs John Morrison - Smackdown - This match was just awesome. Two high flyers clashed on Smackdown in a passing of the torch type match. This match really opened my eyes to the amazing talent that Morrison has and how successful this guy can potentially be in WWE.

5. DX vs Legacy - Hell in a Cell - The psychology of this match was perfect. This was the only cell match at Hell in a Cell that actually used the cell in the right way. These four guys showed some great creativity, and they had to as there was no blood in this bout. DX and Legacy have great chemistry in-ring and this match really showed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back