The Lost Art of "Ringside Managers"- Who should the Ringside Managers be in the WWE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambiguous Turd

Mid-Card Championship Winner
There are a couple parts to this thread, which is really for those that are passionate about the role of ringside managers in wrestling.

1) First, I would like to hear your opinion on the Lost Art of Wrestling Managers. Should they be brought back? Why or Why Not? We've done this periodically, but I think it's time for another discussion. And this is a topic I am extremely passionate about, as Wrestling Managers and the characters they played were one of my biggest enjoyments out of wrestling as a kid. The entertainment they provided absolutely enhanced my wrestling experience as a kid.

2) The second part of this .... is that IF you agree that ringside managers need to make a return in WWE, then WHO should be the managers? For this, you basically have to design a roster of managers in the WWE ... (they don't have to be currently employed by WWE, however they have to be realistic choices ... in other words, they can't currently work for TNA) .... and give us an idea WHY you think they would make a valuable addition to the WWE Manager roster.

3) If you would like, you can even assign them clients and can elaborate on why you think the wrestler you pick might make a good pairing with the manager you choose.

If you agree that Managers should be brought back to the WWE, please fulfill the second part of the thread request and provide us with a short list on WHO you feel would make a good manager.

I would probably say that 5 or so managers would probably be appropriate for the entire WWE to spread around the shows. That is what the number fluctuated around when managers were in the WWE.

And keep in mind ... that for all intents and purposes, they will be called "Managers". I can't classify Hornswoggle as a Manager. Ranjin Singh is not really a manager as his role is identified as a "translator" ... and Rosa Mendez is a girlfriend. So we are talking individuals who would be true Managers.

4) Now, keep in mind that Vince does not like spending money on managers. He never has. There are some managers who he would send to all the shows, as they likely weren't highly paid per appearance, therefore he could afford to send them on the road.

Other managers like Bobby Heenan and Paul Heyman were paid a lot of money per appearance, and did duties outside of just managing, therefore he only had them work TV tapings.

So in trying to determine who is worth paying to go on the road to all House Shows, and who would likely only work TV due to other WWE commitments, cost reasons, or other personal reasons .... who would you assign to go on the road, and who would you assign to work only TV to save Vince money?

As most people know, I am highly in favor of managers

1) First, I would like to hear your opinion on the Lost Art of Wrestling Managers. Should they be brought back? Why or Why Not?

Absolutely they should, and I'm glad to see a top poster here have this opinion, as now most here look down at people who suggest to bring managers back.

Anyway, why? Simple, they help wrestlers, who have trouble talking, talk. It's as simple as that. Seriously, would Andre the Giant as a heel ever have worked without Bobby Heenan there to talk for him? No, it wouldn't have. Same case for plenty of other wrestlers throughout history of the business.

And managers also add something to good wrestlers, too. Look at what Heenan did for Flair during his run, and look at what Flair did for the guys in Evolution when he managed them. They add depth to characters, and give fans another reason to either love or hate that person.

Also, in my opinion, managers make matches more exciting, as well. There's so much drama you can add to a big time match with someone sitting outside that ring, ready to interfere on a wrestler's behalf. As a fan, you just anticipate that occurring, and it makes a match that much more thrilling, because you know when someone gets the upper hand, there's a sneaky little fuck on the outside waiting to stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

2) The second part of this .... is that IF you agree that ringside managers need to make a return in WWE, then WHO should be the managers?

I guess he can't be one right now, but since 2003 I've wanted Taz to be a manager in WWE. I thought he would have been a perfect manager for someone like Shelton Benjamin and guys like that. Taz as a goofy announcer just doesn't work for me, but as a wrestler... the guy knew how to talk on that microphone in a way to where you had to take whatever he said seriously. A quality like that makes for a PERFECT manager, if you ask me.

Another guy who would work well as a manager is Matt Striker, another person they have stuck at the announcer's table (though, granted, he does a much better job at it than Taz). I mean, when this dude was wrestling for the company, how could you not hate his smug little act? However, the problem was that he was way too small to take him seriously as a wrestler. So, I always thought he would have made a perfect manager with that teacher act of his, where his wrestlers are his students and he could form a faction like the Heenan Family, only to call it something like Striker's School or something along those lines.

Santino is another guy who's more fit to be a manager than wrestler at this point. Get him to form an "FBI" like (Full Blooded Italians from ECW) partnership with some big Italian that I'm sure they have in Developmental somewhere.

And lastly, I love valets, and I hate women wrestlers. Someone like Maryse would make for a perfect valet for someone like say Christian. Christian knows how to talk, so he doesn't need help there, but having Maryse with him would give fans another reason to have people either love or hate him, depending on how you want to use her (it was working with Trish before they dropped it). And take Kelly Kelly, for example. You take that "abusive, jealous relationship" she had with Mike Knox when they both first made their debut, with someone like Kofi, holy shit... instant fucking heat if Kofi ever turned heel (and yes, I'm ignoring the WWE PG crap, so WWE fans don't quote this saying WWE can't do it, because I don't care and it's just another reason why WWE PG sucks ass).

3) If you would like, you can even assign them clients and can elaborate on why you think the wrestler you pick might make a good pairing with the manager you choose.

So, I guess here would be my list:

Taz with Shelton, if it were possible.
Matt Striker with guys like Evan Bourne, Jack Swagger, and Mike Knox.
Santino with a Developmental guy
Christian and Maryse.
Kofi Kingston with Kelly Kelly (sorry, but there's so much shit you could touch upon with an interracial relationship)

I always thought giving a guy a manager was a great way to get him over, and I definitely think they should be brought back. I don't think there needs to be as many managers as there were in the 80's when it seemed like everyone had one, and I also don't think a manager really needs to manage any more then one or two guys (Ie. Bobby Heenan with the Heenan Family and Jimmy Hart with all the guys he managed), but they should be brought back.

A couple examples of fairly recent successes with managers are Brock Lesnar and Umaga. Lesnar never really had the best mic skills and if he would have debuted on his own without a manager I really don't think his career would have skyrocketed like it did. Paul Heyman was a great manager and he fit in perfectly with Lesnar.

With Umaga he was obviously a Samoan savage who couldn't speak English so without Estrada it would have made it nearly impossible to get a character like that over. You saw that once Estrada left, Umaga's career was never quite as good as it was when he started out.

As far as potential managers go, I'd stay away from the Divas for the most part. Natalya is already the manager for the Hart Foundation and Katie Lea is managing Burchill.

Looking at the rosters, on RAW the only potential manager I see is Santino. He's nothing more then a comedy jobber and although he doesn't really fit the mold of a traditional manager I think he could help out some superstars who tend to lack personality.

On Smackdown I really think they should get a new GM and make Teddy Long a manager. I always liked him as a manger in WCW and I thought he did a great job with the short lived Thuggin' and Buggin' Enterprises in the WWE a few years ago.

On ECW there are a couple guys I could see being managers. The first is Abraham Washington. His talk show on ECW isn't bad and he has shown that he is solid on the mic. With ECW having so mnay young developmental talents I really think he could easily make the transition to being a manager.

Also on ECW you have Byron Saxton. I know he's announcing right now, but if/when JR makes his return Saxton won't have anything to do. In FCW he was a manger for a few different guys and did a very good job. One final guy I like as a manger is Matt Striker, but as of right now I think he is more valuable as a commentator.

As for the guys who could use a manger, on RAW I actually think that Jack Swagger could use one. He seemed like he was destined for super stardom after his run as ECW champ and debut on RAW. However, his push has come to a halt and getting a manager could take him to the next level.

Looking at Smackdown I don't really see anyone who is in desperate need of a manager. The only one I would consider is maybe Mike Knox. It's always easier to push a big, nasty heel when he is given a manager.

On ECW I know everyone thinks Shelton Benjamin needs a manager, but I actually think Shelton has been very entertaining lately. I really don't think a manager is needed for him like it was earlier in his career. One guy on ECW who I do think needs a manager is Ezekiel Jackson. He seems to be breaking away from Kozlov and Regal and he could become a main event type guy if given the right manager. If they make him a heel, a guy like Saxton would be great and as a face Teddy Long could do wonders for him.

No. The idea of ringside managers is dated and there is a number of reasons why nobody really uses them anymore, be it in WWE, TNA or, to my knowledge, any major promotion anywhere.

First and foremost, and for me the biggest problem with them is that they are huge heat sinks. People hate the wrestler they are associated with, sure, but often that is because they hate the manager more than the wrestler. When they split, it often leaves the wrestlers being entirely without heat. There are several examples of this from the late 80s, where people left their managers and then basically did nothing for about a year until they left the company. The managers are what are popular or unpopoular and it detracts from the man in the ring.

The second thing is that they are pretty much unecessary. In the days when you had big lumbering heels whose job it was to just be massive and uncompromising, they could be basically illiterate. With today's TV schedules, with or without managers, heels need to be all the more dynamic. King Kong Bundy would not headline a WrestleMania these days. This more dynamic heel is usually capable of delivering a decent promo, as evidenced during the similarly-to-know managerless free era in the late 90s and also back before the 80s, when guys like Buddy Rogers and Gorgeous George were in their element. Nowadays, it is a bit different because everything is scripted, which renders it even more pointless, but even if you drop that assumption, the sort of people on the roster these days don't need them.

The next thing is that the way the manager worked in the 80s would never work now. There were basically 4 or 5 managers that spread throughout the roster. Then, that was fine because the shows were few and far between and the feuds were the same for months on end. Nowadays, the feuds are short and just about everyone on the roster has to be able to feud with pretty much everyone else. If they share managers, this is obviously a problem.

All in all, I wouldn't be that bothered if somebody like Kane had a spokesman, but I think a return to the 80s system would be a mistake. It was fine for the time, perfect in fact, but I just think that wrestling has moved on too far since then.

Ive often thought that having a Heenan type manager come back would be awesome. You could have Cena (He is the man, that wont change) have a rivalry with this manager, and he keeps bringing in new wrestlers to try and gain that world title. This would allow more and more guys to get those world title pushes, and make the matches we see at PPV's have more originality than some stupid gimmick stipulation.

A character like this with great mic skills would be a huge asset, as he could attempt to capture all of the gold for his clients and be capable of carrying out multiple feuds at the same time.

1) First, I would like to hear your opinion on the Lost Art of Wrestling Managers. Should they be brought back? Why or Why Not?

I definitely think that managers should be brought back. Managers can be very beneficial to any wrestler. It doesn’t matter if they are babyfaces or heel, if they’re good on the mic or bad on the mic, they can be beneficial to just about any wrestler.

However, I think wrestlers with poor mic skills like Shelton Benjamin have a lot more to gain from having a manager than someone with great mic skills such as John Cena. If a wrestler does have bad mic skills, then they can let managers do all of the talking on the mic and they do some of the talking via what they do in the ring.

Also, they are beneficial for heels. But at times wrestlers who are split up from their managers tend to do nothing noteworthy and end up leaving because they’ve lost the heel heat they had which in reality was for the manager and not the wrestler. I think that’s when they have to be extremely careful to who they assign managers to and who they don’t. I’d only assign them to wrestlers I know will retain heel heat after they’re split up because I don’t think it’s smart to have a wrestler and a manager be together forever.

I also said it could be very beneficial to babyface wrestlers or wrestlers with good mic skills. I’d like to clarify what I meant by that. A manager isn’t only used to make wrestlers get more heat, but I think they are also used to make a wrestlers gimmick better. A manager could most definitely make a babyfaces gimmick better. However, I do think they are better paired with heels rather than babyfaces.

2) The second part of this .... is that IF you agree that ringside managers need to make a return in WWE, then WHO should be the managers?

You said we could choose anyone as long as it’s realistic and possible, if that’s the case then my first choice is Ted Dibiase.

Ted is someone that is magnificent on the mic even at his current age. He was great back then and he’s great now. I’m not sure if he’d be able to get a heel some heel heat considering he’s a legend and all, but I think him being paired up with a heel could work. It all depends on how they would go about it.

Another person who I think could be a great manager is none other than ‘The Governo’ himself, Jesse Ventura. He is very good on the mic, and he could be mostly beneficial to a heel. He has the mic skills and he knows how to make people want to hate him. He’d definitely be a great choice.

Another person who could be a good manager, and I don’t think many people would expect this one, is William Regal. He is solid on the mic and I think he could help out a lower to mid-card heel.

All of those are great choices and there are many other former and current wrestlers who could do very well in a managerial position for certain wrestlers.

This is a great thread Sid, and I’d wish Vince McMahon would realize that having managers is not necessarily a bad thing as long as he uses them correctly…and he damn well knows how to use managers correctly.

Time to add my own thoughts. But before I do, I am extremely disappointed in seeing Tastycles, a usually outstanding poster, conduct himself like a "WWE Shareholder" in this thread. But I will respond to him shortly.

1. For those that did not watch wrestling back in the 80's and EARLY 90's, you really can't grasp the feeling of what managers actually brought to the table.

Over the years, "WWE Shareholder" posters will tell you that managers are useless, not needed, etc. because you have to understand that what these posters are, are essentially marks for Vince McMahon. And they are going to buy into whatever vision for wrestling that he spoon feeds to them. However, those of us who are older fans know better.

Just like we've said about Jesse Ventura, and how much better a commentator he is than Jerry Lawler as a result of the Face/Heel broadcast concept. And low and behold, when he performed, he got absolutely rave reviews around the internet, because we once again saw that concept .... and it was far more entertaining than the Play-by-Play/Analyst concept Vince adopted these past few years. A lot of us older fans have seen it all, and have lived through every Era, so please ... trust our judgment.

Now, what ringside managers provided was far more possibilities for entertainment, in a variety of means. And common sense should dictate that the more types of characters there are, the more potential there is for angles, storylines, and match finishes. It's all about Entertainment for YOU, the Viewer.

What's even worse is that the ROH-Botz tend to agree with the "WWE Shareholders" in this regard, because their vision for wrestling is completely driven by 4-5 star technical wrestling matches. Therefore, their view of anything else that can derail from what is happening in the ring, is a distraction to the viewer. They want the viewer completely focused on what is happening INSIDE that ring. And if the viewer wants to focus on EVERYTHING that is happening at ringside, then they turn their nose up at you as a fan, because they feel "Real Wrestling Fans should ONLY concentrate on the wrestling inside the ring".

Unfortunately, Vince himself has adopted that philosophy as well, over the years, and that is why the "WWE Shareholders" and the ROH-Botz see eye-to-eye on this one ... with the Vince marks merely following suit.

You may be told that "managers are really only for guys that can't talk" and therefore "it is a bad thing to have a manager, because it makes you look incompetent and talentless".

In reality, nothing further could be from the truth.

Managers are an ENHANCEMENT to the wrestling character. Their role is to support the Heel "their client" by any means possible.

They served not 1, but 3 functions:

1) Talking and enhancing the interview/promos

2) Participating in storylines and angles

3) Participating in the drama of the match at ringside

They were not just guys in a suit that came to ringside, like Ranjin Singh or Tony Atlas. They were true characters, each with their own distinct style and personality ... which were clear distinctions from the other managers on the roster.

Not only did they intensify the promos which made the viewers look more forward to the matches, but they were also used for a variety of angles, which is not possible today because they are not around to the degree they were and in the same fashion they used to be used.

1) They could be used to setup a sneak attack or ambush

2) The Face could beat up a manager in retaliation for that ambush, to infuriate the Heel wrestler

3) They could be used to initiate a program on behalf of their client

4) They could be used to interact with other managers and wrestlers

5) They can interact with General Managers to negotiate matches for their clients

6) They could turn on their clients or their clients could turn on them

And a lot of this goes back to the thread I did on the concept of interactions in wrestling. This ties into it.

Because today, you pretty much have the following interactions:

1) Wrestler to Wrestler
2) Wrestler to Authority Figure
3) Wrestler to Diva
4) Authority Figure to Diva

With managers in wrestling, you can ADD the following interactions

1) Wrestler to Wrestler
2) Wrestler to Manager
3) Wrestler to Authority Figure
4) Manager to Authority Figure
5) Wrestler to Diva
6) Manager to Diva
7) Manager to Manager

As you can see, this creates more possibilities for far more scenarios on television to provide Entertainment.

They could participate in Revenge storylines, Ambition storylines, Blackmail storylines, Turn storylines, etc.

And this doesn't even take into consideration their antics at ringside which result in more potential drama. Sometimes, it could be as simple as seeing the drama on their face as they pace back and forth and concentrate on the match ... which is brought to life in close up shots.

However instead of just two guys fighting and interacting with the referee, you again have the following potential scenarios and interactions DURING THE MATCH.

1) Manager to Client

- Encouragement
- Passes a foreign object to client
- Manager places a dazed client's foot on the ropes if in danger of a 3 count

2) Manager interacts with Referee

- Distraction
- Complains about a call the ref has made

3) Manager to Opponent via distraction, taunt

- Manager distracts opponent
- Manager physically becomes involved, cheap shot, or all-out assault (tripping the leg, choking the opponent, slapping the opponent,
- Manager gets assaulted by the opponent, to the crowd's delight

4) Manager to the Crowd

- Manager incites the crowd, telling them to "quiet down", etc.
- Manager taunts the crowd when the Face is being beaten down, overall adding more drama to the match
- If the match is slow and the crowd becomes bored, the manager incites the crowd to get them back into the match

Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Slick "The Doctor of Style", Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Mr. Fuji, Sensation Sherri, JJ Dillon, Classy Freddie Blassie, Paul Bearer, and others are still out there. All it would take is for Vince to abandon the influence of the ROH-botz that he listened to, and give the Go-Ahead on their return. Great managers are out there, just waiting to be discovered, who are willing to entertain the fans.

No. The idea of ringside managers is dated and there is a number of reasons why nobody really uses them anymore, be it in WWE, TNA or, to my knowledge, any major promotion anywhere.

Why do you feel managers are a dated concept, Tastycles? Because that is what Vince tells you? Please. Some people think they are just sooooo cool just to be like a little puppy dog to Vince, just because they idolize the man.

Managers have been around for DECADES, until Vince came under this new philosophy of his, which has only taken entertainment out of the business.

And if you want to know why the other promotions follow suit, it's because they are just as bad in taking their cues from Vince. They look at Vince being successful, so they automatically do the same thing. Vince is someone who lives off his past reputation for success ... and people simply buy into the hype of it all. So no, one does not need to follow everything Vince does to be successful.

If I were a promoter, I would do what I could do to differentiate my product from Vince in many aspects, because people are starving for an alternative to Vince's product, not more of the same.

First and foremost, and for me the biggest problem with them is that they are huge heat sinks. People hate the wrestler they are associated with, sure, but often that is because they hate the manager more than the wrestler.

Who cares? The bottom line is crowd enjoyment. Let them hate whomever for whatever reason they want to hate the person for. You are attempting to control people's behaviors for no reason.

When they split, it often leaves the wrestlers being entirely without heat.

You mean like today, where half the wrestler can't even attract ANY heat at all, and the crowd sits in silence during their matches?

Same problem today that there was in those isolated cases ... a failure on the part of the Creative Department.

There are several examples of this from the late 80s, where people left their managers and then basically did nothing for about a year until they left the company. The managers are what are popular or unpopoular and it detracts from the man in the ring.

Again, a classic ROH-Bot mentality on display, right here. And ironically enough, those exact words "detract from what is happening inside the ring" have been seen many times in postings on websites about WWE's thought process. So, another classic example of spoon-feeding.

WHO THE FUCK CARES IF SOMETHING DETRACTS FROM WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE RING?

I don't want to view wrestling as a sport and from solely a technical aspect, Tastycles. And I know that there are a huge amount of people out there like me, who actually have left the business over the toning and dulling down of the product, and moving it more towards sport, over entertainment.

Managers provide Entertainment, and some of us are actually able to keep our concentration on what is happening INSIDE the ring, and WANT to concentrate on what is happening OUTSIDE the ring at the same time.

Who are you to tell me, as a viewer, what I SHOULD be focusing on? Seriously, is that your place to do so? I want to concentrate and derive MY entertainment over Everything that is happening at ringside, and to tell me I should ONLY concentrate on the in-ring wrestling is extremely haughty on your part. And it is this same degree of arrogance in which Vince demonstrated that pissed off a lot of fans over the years.

Let fans watch wrestling for whatever reasons they want to watch wrestling for, and give them the opportunity to derive their entertainment over whatever they want to derive their entertainment over.

The second thing is that they are pretty much unnecessary.

Sure, they aren't a requirement or a necessity. But as demonstrated above, they provide that many more opportunities for drama and entertaining television. Otherwise, you completely restrict the angles and storylines to be limited only between wrestlers. They added a much greater dynamic to the product than what is seen today.

In the days when you had big lumbering heels whose job it was to just be massive and uncompromising, they could be basically illiterate. With today's TV schedules, with or without managers, heels need to be all the more dynamic. King Kong Bundy would not headline a WrestleMania these days. This more dynamic heel is usually capable of delivering a decent promo, as evidenced during the similarly-to-know managerless free era in the late 90s and also back before the 80s, when guys like Buddy Rogers and Gorgeous George were in their element.

Nowadays, it is a bit different because everything is scripted, which renders it even more pointless, but even if you drop that assumption, the sort of people on the roster these days don't need them.

This is again you going under the assumption that they are ONLY used for talking. As demonstrated, that was far from accurate, as managers served multiple purposes other than simply talking on behalf of clients.

And even back then, managers participated in the promos. However the talent did the other half of the talking in the promos, other than those who "could not speak English".

The next thing is that the way the manager worked in the 80s would never work now. There were basically 4 or 5 managers that spread throughout the roster. Then, that was fine because the shows were few and far between and the feuds were the same for months on end. Nowadays, the feuds are short and just about everyone on the roster has to be able to feud with pretty much everyone else. If they share managers, this is obviously a problem.

Who says each show needs 4 or 5 managers. How about the entire company has about 4-5 managers, just like they used to, and spread them around the shows? Assign 2 managers per brand for variety, and give one manager to ECW. Although now that ECW is ending, then a third manager could be assigned to Raw and two given to Smackdown.

Problem solved.

All in all, I wouldn't be that bothered if somebody like Kane had a spokesman, but I think a return to the 80s system would be a mistake. It was fine for the time, perfect in fact, but I just think that wrestling has moved on too far since then.

"Moving forward" is a point of view, and pure marketing speak.

And I challenge you with this, Tastycles. If wrestling is "moving forward" like you claim, then obviously it is "moving towards something". So can you articulate what exactly wrestling is moving forward to and explain in detail what that particular goal is of what it is moving towards? This may be a topic for another thread, not to derail this one, as I could forsee it meriting it's own topic.

2. With that being said, I am going to give my thoughts on who my manager roster would be comprised of, who are realistic possibilities (not signed to TNA, and who would be able to do it, if they agree to the job).

The people I am looking at for the job are natural heat magnets:

Paul Heyman- would be considered the top manager in the company and assigned to Raw. Absolutely fantastic talker, and has a true talent for getting his wrestlers over with the crowd. The audience absolutely despises the guy as a Heel.

Paul Heyman would make too much per appearance for Vince's liking to send on the road. Plus, given his tenure with WWE, Heyman would only work WWE televised events AND major House Shows in major markets, like New York, Los Angeles, and Philly.

Vickie Guerrero- another loudmouth, obnoxious manager who the crowd can't stand. All she has to do is open her mouth to get heat. Her GM routine has gotten completely stale, and I fear them putting her back in that role. Vickie needs to be a ringside manager, NOT a General Manager again. That act has been beaten into the ground, already, and she can offer NOTHING new in that role. She can be assigned to Smackdown.

Due to her lack of availability with her children, Vickie would only work WWE televised events, as she does today.

Theodore Long- get this man out of the GM position and back into a managerial role right where he belongs. This man was one of WCW's marquee managers back in the early 90's and he still has it today. It's just a matter of using him properly. As bad and as tiresome as Vickie is as a GM, Long is actually even more tiresome, as he's done it far longer than she has. Teddy is another one who has NOTHING left to offer as a GM. Add this man as another marquee talent to the WWE roster and put him on Raw.

Teddy Long already works House Shows, as he is available to do them, so send this man on the road to all Raw events.

Abraham Washington- the bad-joke cracking comedian can serve in a comedic role. Perhaps he can have Tony Atlas at ringside as his laughing "Yes Man" to protect Washington, as well as offer interference. Put him on ECW.

As a new employee, Washington will do whatever is told, so therefore he would work for less money and should be sent on the road to all ECW/Smackdown events.

James Mitchell- this would be my "mysterious, occult" type manager who is perfect for managing someone like Kane. Although he needs to get a haircut and go back to looking like James Vandenberg. I was not a fan of his appearance in TNA, as it was too "over the top". A much less colorful wardrobe, with dark suits, to signify him as a dark character. Perfect for feuding with people like The Undertaker.

Mitchell can be sent on the road to all Smackdown events, as this is the brand he would be assigned to, with both his would-be nemesis The Undertaker, as well as the person I would like him to manage, Kane, both assigned to Smackdown..

William Regal- the snobby Britain who has an experience of wealth in the ring, who is a perfect guiding light for young talent with ambition. Regal is a natural heat magnet and extremely talented on the mic. He can also take bumps and participate in matches, if need be.

Since Regal can wrestle and take bumps, he would also be a valuable manager to send on the road, as well ... since he is already working a full schedule. I would send him to all Raw events.

So that would leave us with:

RAW

Paul Heyman (TV only)
Theodore Long
William Regal

SMACKDOWN

Vickie Guerrero (TV only)
James Mitchell

ECW

Abraham Washington

People who I would like to see manage in WWE within the Manager roster, but are doubtful-

Jim Cornette- the man could still manage, and undoubtedly would be payed more in WWE doing this than he is getting paid with ROH as "Executive Producer". As long as he is kept away from the Creative department and making Creative decision, he should be fine. Still outstanding at getting talent over.

I would not advocate the Jim Cornette manager of the 80's and early 90's, but rather the more toned down Jim Cornette (in terms of outlandish outfits and getting rid of the tennis racket Cornette).

Although, his behavior towards WWE on the Internet, and past behavior with them would make this extremely, extremely unlikely that he would ever work for them again.

Jimmy Hart- the man is in his 60's, but managers have managed before in their 60's and still did well. Regarded as one of the greatest managers of all time, and having the gift of gab (dubbed as "The Mouth of the South"), Hart with his megaphone at ringside could truly be a wonderful manager to have in anyone's corner, and a true marquee manager to have on the Manager roster.

I agree that managers should be brought back and you guys pretty much explained that well enough so I'll just list who I think would work well today starting off with:

ARMANDO ALEJANDRO ESTRADA!: I think this one got the IWC all riled up when he was dropped as UMAGA's handler a few years back for no apparent reason. He was so over and made Umaga credible, he would make a great manager, he's kind've a big guy himself though, I think managers usually shouldn't be able to compete for themselves. Anyway, whats he been up to? Haven't heard anything from him since he was released.

Matt Striker: I find him unbearable on commentary, I really thought he'd make a good commentator but he is just SO annoying, I don't want to hear him talk all show long. However he is just the right amount of annoying to be a Jimmy Hartish manager. He did a good job with Big Daddy V, and his classroom segments were very respectable. I'd put him on ECW let him manage rookies, since Striker doesn't really have much credibility in the business himself.

Maryse: Would make a great valet, she doesn't really seem to be a great talker, but she exudes something fierce just the way she moves. I know she's wrestling right now, but half the girls in the company shouldn't be wrestling. Out of all of them I think Maryse would do the best in a managerial/valet role. I might put her with Regal, let her valet for and even stil wrestle as a part of the Roundtable(why are they breaking them up so soon, why does everything have to happen so fast, they have potential, I'm guessing Ezekial's going to be getting a nice push pretty soon).

Chris Jericho: Not now of course but in the furture he'd make a great manager.

Eric Young(I know no TNA guys, but does anyone think Vince will actually bring managers back anyway): Don't like him as a wrestler, he'd make a good heel manager though, he's the perfect coward.

And of course the obvious former managers that are still able performers such as Heyman/Cornette/Mitchell.

I think managers could work now.

I think Ezekiel Jackson could split from Regal and Kozlov and gain a manager. I don't really know how he is on the mic but he could give the presence of the silent ass kicking heel. He could stand menacingly as his manager cuts their promo. As for his manager, I think a good choice would be Teddy Long in a similar fashion to what he did with Rodney Mack without the whole "being held down because of the color of his skin" angle.

I'd like to see someone like Dean Malenko help out Chris Masters and put him over as a great technical wrestler, or maybe have him do it for Charlie Haas.

Of course Bret with the Hart Dynasty would be great but I dont see that happening.

And Paul Heyman for pretty much anyone, he's great.

Time to add my own thoughts. But before I do, I am extremely disappointed in seeing Tastycles, a usually outstanding poster, conduct himself like a "WWE Shareholder" in this thread. But I will respond to him shortly.

Yawn. Where in any point of my post did I refer to anything that was WWE centric? Sure, it's framed by TNA don't use managers, latter-day WCW didn't use managers, WWE don't use managers, towards the end ECW didn't really use managers, ROH doesn't use managers, AAA doesn't use managers, CMLL doesn't use managers in the way that you have described. The position of manager is completely at odds with the modern wrestling promotion, and it is why literally nobody uses them anymore. There is presicely zero in common between CZW and WWE stylistically, but neither of them have managers.

Call me a ROH-bot, call me a Shareholder call me whatever you want, I don't care, so long as you are prepared to call Dixie Carter, Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff the same thing. I don't care about Vince's opinion on anything. He doesn't care about mine. As far as I can see, the only person obsessed with the actions of Vince McMahon isn't the ROH-bots or people who actually like the WWE, it's you.

1. For those that did not watch wrestling back in the 80's and EARLY 90's, you really can't grasp the feeling of what managers actually brought to the table.

Over the years, "WWE Shareholder" posters will tell you that managers are useless, not needed, etc. because you have to understand that what these posters are, are essentially marks for Vince McMahon. And they are going to buy into whatever vision for wrestling that he spoon feeds to them. However, those of us who are older fans know better.

I'm going to have to stop you there. When you were watching wrestling in 1989, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say you were probably still a child. So we can pretty much discount your realtime comparisions. However, the internet is a wonderful thing and we can all look back and make judgements based on old videos. So you can stop with the patronisation, thanks.
Just like we've said about Jesse Ventura, and how much better a commentator he is than Jerry Lawler as a result of the Face/Heel broadcast concept. And low and behold, when he performed, he got absolutely rave reviews around the internet, because we once again saw that concept .... and it was far more entertaining than the Play-by-Play/Analyst concept Vince adopted these past few years. A lot of us older fans have seen it all, and have lived through every Era, so please ... trust our judgment.

Actually, that's not why it worked so well at all. It worked because Ventura is considerably better than everyone else in the company. If Byron Saxton turned heel tomorrow, we would not suddenly see a drastic improvement in the ECW commentary team.
Now, what ringside managers provided was far more possibilities for entertainment, in a variety of means. And common sense should dictate that the more types of characters there are, the more potential there is for angles, storylines, and match finishes. It's all about Entertainment for YOU, the Viewer.

I'm not going to deny this. Managers certainly add some dynamicism to potential set ups of matches, within matches and whatever else you might care to judge a wrestler on, but there are more negatives to it.
What's even worse is that the ROH-Botz tend to agree with the "WWE Shareholders" in this regard, because their vision for wrestling is completely driven by 4-5 star technical wrestling matches. Therefore, their view of anything else that can derail from what is happening in the ring, is a distraction to the viewer. They want the viewer completely focused on what is happening INSIDE that ring. And if the viewer wants to focus on EVERYTHING that is happening at ringside, then they turn their nose up at you as a fan, because they feel "Real Wrestling Fans should ONLY concentrate on the wrestling inside the ring".

The point you're arguing is a sound one. The problem is, is that literally nobody has argued to the contrary.
Unfortunately, Vince himself has adopted that philosophy as well, over the years, and that is why the "WWE Shareholders" and the ROH-Botz see eye-to-eye on this one ... with the Vince marks merely following suit.

I'd disagree. Call them managers, call them valets, call them translators, bodyguards, fellow faction members, leperchauns, call them whatever you want, there are a similar number of matches that are disrupted by outside interferance now than there were in the 80s. I'm not saying that these people share the role of managers, because they aren't the same, but I think it is wrong to say that there has been a shift to total in ring competition on the part of the WWE. ROH is pretty much the only place where such a shift has occurred.
You may be told that "managers are really only for guys that can't talk" and therefore "it is a bad thing to have a manager, because it makes you look incompetent and talentless".

Did Vince say that? You've quoted it, so can we have a source? That being said, my previous argument did focus on this aspect, so I'll get on with the others soon.

In reality, nothing further could be from the truth.

It could be. For example, attributing the entire removal of an aspect of professional wrestling to one man is further from the truth.
Managers are an ENHANCEMENT to the wrestling character. Their role is to support the Heel "their client" by any means possible.

They served not 1, but 3 functions:

1) Talking and enhancing the interview/promos

2) Participating in storylines and angles

3) Participating in the drama of the match at ringside

Ok, I'd agree with this. I've addressed point 1, with more to come. I will address point 2, and I will propose that guys like Rosa Mendes, Bam Neely and Ranjin Singh still do 3.

They were not just guys in a suit that came to ringside, like Ranjin Singh or Tony Atlas. They were true characters, each with their own distinct style and personality ... which were clear distinctions from the other managers on the roster.

Maybe, but to be honest there were five notable ones in the period you are talking about: Slick, Heenan, Hart, Frenchie and Mr. Fuji. The characters of these five were very different, but three of them were racial stereotypes, and the other two were two of the most colourful people in wrestling history. That being said, I'm not sure Heenan had a real discernible character, outside of hating the faces and loving the heels.

Not only did they intensify the promos which made the viewers look more forward to the matches, but they were also used for a variety of angles, which is not possible today because they are not around to the degree they were and in the same fashion they used to be used.

Arguable. Very few storylines required managers, apart from ones involving the managers turning on teams. What I would say is that they increase the potential methods of interaction, but in the days when they were used, this was rarely seen. That's not to say they could be used in this way now though, and like I said, I agree that this is a worthwhile use of managers.

Lets look at your possibilities:

1) They could be used to setup a sneak attack or ambush

Good idea, but there are many alternatives to this. Divas could do the same, a wrestler allegiance could do the same, but it is not a bad idea per se.

2) The Face could beat up a manager in retaliation for that ambush, to infuriate the Heel wrestler

I see it, but I'm not sure it would work for the current faces. Beating up what would probably be an old man seems cowardly, unless they attack the heel too which renders it pointless really. I can't remember even Austin beating up guys like Brisco and Patterson on their own, rather than without first eliminating an actual wrestler.
3) They could be used to initiate a program on behalf of their client

All this serves to do is remove the person people want to see from the feud they want to see them in.
4) They could be used to interact with other managers and wrestlers

Yes they could.

5) They can interact with General Managers to negotiate matches for their clients

What's the point though? CM Punk goes to Teddy Long asks for a match isn't really any different to someone else doing it for him. It isn't really fresh and all it does is remove the person from the equation, for no real benefit.
6) They could turn on their clients or their clients could turn on them

But then what? You start all over again with exactly the same storyline with another wrestler, it's tired.

And a lot of this goes back to the thread I did on the concept of interactions in wrestling. This ties into it.

Because today, you pretty much have the following interactions:

1) Wrestler to Wrestler
2) Wrestler to Authority Figure
3) Wrestler to Diva
4) Authority Figure to Diva

With managers in wrestling, you can ADD the following interactions

1) Wrestler to Wrestler
2) Wrestler to Manager
3) Wrestler to Authority Figure
4) Manager to Authority Figure
5) Wrestler to Diva
6) Manager to Diva
7) Manager to Manager

Not really though. I mean, I agree that there are literally more interactions. But seeing Randy Orton talk to Kofi Kingston and then seeing Bobby Heenan talk to Kofi Kingston about Randy Orton are basically the same thing. Slightly different, but what they gain in diversity, they lose in potential. When Cena and Sheamus did the contract signing, it was mano a mano, someone might get beaten up, but which one? Replace Sheamus with a manager in that altercation, and you know that the only possible outcome is a suprise attack, which leads to the same possible scenario of "who is going through the table?".
As you can see, this creates more possibilities for far more scenarios on television to provide Entertainment.

A few more, but not enough to outweigh the problems.
They could participate in Revenge storylines, Ambition storylines, Blackmail storylines, Turn storylines, etc.

But any wrestler could already participate in any of those storylines. There doesn't have to be managers to do it.
And this doesn't even take into consideration their antics at ringside which result in more potential drama. Sometimes, it could be as simple as seeing the drama on their face as they pace back and forth and concentrate on the match ... which is brought to life in close up shots.

They already do that. Watch a Hart Dynasty match.
However instead of just two guys fighting and interacting with the referee, you again have the following potential scenarios and interactions DURING THE MATCH.

1) Manager to Client

- Encouragement
- Passes a foreign object to client
- Manager places a dazed client's foot on the ropes if in danger of a 3 count

All of the aforementioned assortments of translators etc. do all of these things. Some better than others - Natalya good, Bam Neely bad - but there is no denying that these things still occur.
2) Manager interacts with Referee

- Distraction
- Complains about a call the ref has made

Again, this still happens.
3) Manager to Opponent via distraction, taunt

- Manager distracts opponent
- Manager physically becomes involved, cheap shot, or all-out assault (tripping the leg, choking the opponent, slapping the opponent,
- Manager gets assaulted by the opponent, to the crowd's delight

This still happens too. Ranjin Singh always used to get nailed during Khali matches. Every single Finlay win in 2008 pretty much involved Hornswoggle baiting the opponent then the shileilagh hit for the win. Just because Hornswoggle is abhorrent for an adult viewer, it doesn't detract from his usefulness in this capacity.
4) Manager to the Crowd

- Manager incites the crowd, telling them to "quiet down", etc.
- Manager taunts the crowd when the Face is being beaten down, overall adding more drama to the match
- If the match is slow and the crowd becomes bored, the manager incites the crowd to get them back into the match

Probably the only one that people don't currently do to the same degree, but I'm not sure it makes any difference really. The crowd still get worked up in the same periods of a match.

Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, Slick "The Doctor of Style", Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Mr. Fuji, Sensation Sherri, JJ Dillon, Classy Freddie Blassie, Paul Bearer, and others are still out there.

I assume you don't mean literally those people are still out there, because some of them are dead, and the others are pretty unhealthy. I reckon Heyman is the only one still fit enough to work and still in the business is probably Heyman.
All it would take is for Vince to abandon the influence of the ROH-botz that he listened to, and give the Go-Ahead on their return. Great managers are out there, just waiting to be discovered, who are willing to entertain the fans.

So wait, Vince does what ever he wants and spoon feeds the shareholders, but he's actually listening to the ROH-bots. Interesting. Does anyone else know about this higher power? Are we going to see a Shareholder-ROHbotinistry soon? I reckon your clutching at straws. I reckon that you want to blame everything that you don't like in wrestling on a minority of fans that are, on the whole irrelevant, and Vince McMahon. I reckon that you're struggling to pin the lack of managers on either of them so you're contradicting yourself and trying to force them into the same pigeon-hole.

I don't doubt that somebody out there has similar talents to Bobby Heenan, but nobody is looking for them, in the same way that nobody is looking for someone with the same talents as the world's greatest horsecart designer, because those talents are no longer necessary.

Why do you feel managers are a dated concept, Tastycles? Because that is what Vince tells you? Please. Some people think they are just sooooo cool just to be like a little puppy dog to Vince, just because they idolize the man.

Yes, Vince rang me up actually. Oh wait, no he didn't. Show me where Vince has ever said "managers are dated". He doesn't have them on his shows, but neither does anyone else. They were a necessity in the way of broadcasting that was used from about 1984 to the start of Raw and Nitro, but have been scarcely used by anyone anywhere before or since.

Managers have been around for DECADES, until Vince came under this new philosophy of his, which has only taken entertainment out of the business.

Until now, it has been all opinion from both sides, but this ladies and gentlemen is categorical proof that Lord Sidious is talking out of his arse.

Managers didn't really exist in the days of complete regional competition. Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Gorgeous George, all of these early days big named heels were managerless.

The change came in the 1970s, when wrestlers started touring, but the companies stayed put. Basically, the manager would stay with the company and appear with new heels as they entered the fray, so people knew to boo them and they had heat, basically.

In the early nationalised period on television, until weekly TV, there was bigger rosters, but little time for everyone to get over. This is why there were more wrestlers than managers- the managers appeared with a different wrestler each week to build heat, but their presence maintained the heat for their other clients. 1993-5 saw the advent of regular weekly television and the manager disappears from the major companies. In the late 90s the advent of digital broadcasting means smaller companies get some television exposure and the manager disappears completely.

That, for your information, is why managers are dated, because the purposes they served no longer exist.

Managers were a part of pro wrestling for about 10-15 years before they had their 9 year heyday, which is emphatically not DECADES.

And if you want to know why the other promotions follow suit, it's because they are just as bad in taking their cues from Vince. They look at Vince being successful, so they automatically do the same thing. Vince is someone who lives off his past reputation for success ... and people simply buy into the hype of it all. So no, one does not need to follow everything Vince does to be successful.

Yup, because CZW is taking all of their cues from Vince McMahon aren't they? ROH too. No, it couldn't possibly be a general trend, literally internationally witnessed, could it?
If I were a promoter, I would do what I could do to differentiate my product from Vince in many aspects, because people are starving for an alternative to Vince's product, not more of the same.

Right, good for you. Funnily enough, that's what WCW did very successfully. That being said, there are a few things that seem to be universally accepted by all as necessary, e.g. having heels and faces, and right now managers appear to be in this category.

Who cares? The bottom line is crowd enjoyment. Let them hate whomever for whatever reason they want to hate the person for. You are attempting to control people's behaviors for no reason.

No, actually I would quite like them to hate the person who tours with the company, the person who is invariably younger and the person who is far more dynamic in what I can have them do. If Bobby Heenan had left the WWF in 1990, about 8 people's heat would have tanked. If Haku had left, it would have effected only himself. That is why, as a promoter, you do not want the manager to be the real deal.
You mean like today, where half the wrestler can't even attract ANY heat at all, and the crowd sits in silence during their matches?

Yeah, just like when nobody cared about half of Slick's clients. Crap wrestlers, crap reaction. Crap managers, crap reaction. It doesn't matter which.
Same problem today that there was in those isolated cases ... a failure on the part of the Creative Department.

Exactly, the failure being that they focussed on the managers not the wrestlers.
Again, a classic ROH-Bot mentality on display, right here. And ironically enough, those exact words "detract from what is happening inside the ring" have been seen many times in postings on websites about WWE's thought process. So, another classic example of spoon-feeding.

WHO THE FUCK CARES IF SOMETHING DETRACTS FROM WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE RING?

I don't want to view wrestling as a sport and from solely a technical aspect, Tastycles. And I know that there are a huge amount of people out there like me, who actually have left the business over the toning and dulling down of the product, and moving it more towards sport, over entertainment.

Firstly I don't know if you know the meaning of "exactly", but they aren't the exact words I used, so you might want to revise that one. Detracting from the man in the ring, as in the wrestler the feud is centred on, is actually a very bad thing, for reasons I've already stated. Detracting from the match in the ring, which is what you are talking about, is an entirely different thing altogether. The guy can have a man on the outside doing whatever he wants, and that can be a good thing. It only becomes a bad thing when it starts becoming more about the manager than the wrestler, which is invariably what happened in the manager era, but isn't really what happens in the current translator/enforcer/girlfriend etc. era.

Secondly, I have absolutely no idea what websites you are talking about, but unless they are this forum, I have never read them.

Managers provide Entertainment, and some of us are actually able to keep our concentration on what is happening INSIDE the ring, and WANT to concentrate on what is happening OUTSIDE the ring at the same time.

Good for you, explain to me where I said anything that countered that.

Who are you to tell me, as a viewer, what I SHOULD be focusing on? Seriously, is that your place to do so? I want to concentrate and derive MY entertainment over Everything that is happening at ringside, and to tell me I should ONLY concentrate on the in-ring wrestling is extremely haughty on your part. And it is this same degree of arrogance in which Vince demonstrated that pissed off a lot of fans over the years.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of you bringing up the same old tired points that are completely irrelevant to the matter at hand and arguing points that nobody has made. It is imperative that the fans are more interested in the wrestlers than the managers, because they are the ones that you have a long term vested interest in. I have not at any point in any post I have ever written said anything negative about the idea of something going on next to the ring while there is a fight going on. Seriously, the sooner you wake up and realise that there are people that disagree with you that don't fall into some petulant categorisation that you wish to impose on them the better.

Let fans watch wrestling for whatever reasons they want to watch wrestling for, and give them the opportunity to derive their entertainment over whatever they want to derive their entertainment over.

That's all well and good, I'm not going to stop you from watching wrestling because you derive entertainment from complaining about it or for whatever other reason you choose to watch it. However, the primary focus has to be on the wrestlers themselves, because otherwise you are jeopardising your long term future. While WWF was focussing on Stone Cold and The Rock, WCW was focussing on shocking the audience. There is literally no better example.

Managers are entertaining to many, but the problem is is that people start to care about them more. That in itself isn't much of an issue, except for the fact that eventually they get their commupance and when that does happen, people start losing interest. There has, to my recollection, never been a manager that has stayed with a company as a manager for much longer than 5 years because once their client turns on them, nobody cares about them the next time. Having managers spread across rosters leads, in the modern era, to overexposure and people will get sick of them.

Sure, they aren't a requirement or a necessity. But as demonstrated above, they provide that many more opportunities for drama and entertaining television. Otherwise, you completely restrict the angles and storylines to be limited only between wrestlers. They added a much greater dynamic to the product than what is seen today.

I agree in principle to this, as stated earlier, but this is by no means enough of a saving grace, for reasons also already stated.
This is again you going under the assumption that they are ONLY used for talking. As demonstrated, that was far from accurate, as managers served multiple purposes other than simply talking on behalf of clients.

All of which are currently served by girlfriends/bodyguards/sponsored drug rehabilitation people etc.
And even back then, managers participated in the promos. However the talent did the other half of the talking in the promos, other than those who "could not speak English".

To an extent. The standard would be for Mean Gene to ask a question, the manager to spend about 2 minutes answering, then the client saying something like "I'm gonna crush you, Hogan" then that's it. For such a staunch advocate of character development of wrestling like yourself, the manager is a massive burden. What did you know about the Hart Foundation as heels other than they wore pink and Jimmy Hart was their manager? Nothing.
Who says each show needs 4 or 5 managers. How about the entire company has about 4-5 managers, just like they used to, and spread them around the shows? Assign 2 managers per brand for variety, and give one manager to ECW. Although now that ECW is ending, then a third manager could be assigned to Raw and two given to Smackdown.

Because that isn't really variety is it? There's like 10 heels on a brand, so say 8 of them take a manager, that removes 3 possible opponents instantly. It would also lead to overexposure of the manager.
Problem solved.

Not really.

"Moving forward" is a point of view, and pure marketing speak.

And I challenge you with this, Tastycles. If wrestling is "moving forward" like you claim, then obviously it is "moving towards something". So can you articulate what exactly wrestling is moving forward to and explain in detail what that particular goal is of what it is moving towards? This may be a topic for another thread, not to derail this one, as I could forsee it meriting it's own topic.

For fuck sake, how many times have you misquoted me? Please, before your inevitible reply, can you actually reply to what I said. I said it had moved on, not forwards, not backwards, just on. That doesn't mean it's better, it means its different. If you need a thread to explain to you that a constantly evolving roster with irregular television exposure is different to a fixed roster with copious weekly television is different, then so be it.

Yawn. Where in any point of my post did I refer to anything that was WWE centric? Sure, it's framed by TNA don't use managers, latter-day WCW didn't use managers, WWE don't use managers, towards the end ECW didn't really use managers, ROH doesn't use managers, AAA doesn't use managers, CMLL doesn't use managers in the way that you have described. The position of manager is completely at odds with the modern wrestling promotion, and it is why literally nobody uses them anymore. There is presicely zero in common between CZW and WWE stylistically, but neither of them have managers.

And like I said ... because it's more of a "Monkey See ... Monkey Do" approach that organizations take when it comes to playing "follow the leader". Case and point what TNA did with Taz. Here, they took the initiative to put a Play by Play and Heel Color Commentator duo in the booth by order of Jeff Jarrett .... but when Carter suspended Jarrett and decided to "put him in his place", she took her cues from WWE in how to run the commentary with the Play by Play / Analyst approach.

Despite an overwhelming number of fans speaking that the old commentary style is far more entertaining than today's.

All it is, is a case of companies play "follow the leader". At least Indys still use managers, and can think for themselves-- as they recognize the entertainment value they bring.

Call me a ROH-bot, call me a Shareholder call me whatever you want,

Well, if the shoe fits. I call it the way I see it, and if your comments come across those of either a Shareholder or an ROH-Bot, than that is what you will be referred to as.

Don't like the label? Then, learn to think for yourself.

I don't care, so long as you are prepared to call Dixie Carter, Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff the same thing.

Why should I call Heyman that? Heyman had managers in ECW.

Bischoff did have managers in WCW, as well.

Vince was the one that began the trend on eliminating them.

As far as Dixie, I already established that this was nothing more than her playing a game of "follow the leader" with Vince. I may need to come up with a new name for promoters who do this type of thing, though.

I don't care about Vince's opinion on anything. He doesn't care about mine.

Well, I'm not convinced that you don't care about Vince's opinions, but at least you realize he doesn't care about yours.

As far as I can see, the only person obsessed with the actions of Vince McMahon isn't the ROH-bots or people who actually like the WWE, it's you.

LOL. It's not just me. Plenty of people are concerned about the direction Vince has taken the WWE in. All you need to do is start up a topic discussing the PG rating, and I guarantee you, you will feel the people's furor over what Vince did.

Also, start up a topic on the issue of the commentary styles, and again, you will hear people voice their displeasure over what Vince did by issuing in the Era of The Analyst.

The Toning down of characters .... again start it up and see what people have to say about Vince.

I'm going to have to stop you there. When you were watching wrestling in 1989, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say you were probably still a child. So we can pretty much discount your realtime comparisions. However, the internet is a wonderful thing and we can all look back and make judgments based on old videos. So you can stop with the patronization, thanks.

When did you begin watching wrestling, Tastycles? Not a knock on you, but when did you start watching? I'm curious.

Now, if you did not begin watching wrestling until the late 90's or so ... then do you not think that one who has watched wrestling through that Era all the way up to and including today's Era may be considered overall more experienced on the topic they are talking about?

I lived through all the Eras. I know what worked well in each and what did not. Therefore, I think I know through Experience what I am talking about, and therefore have confidence in my opinions on this topic.

Actually, that's not why it worked so well at all. It worked because Ventura is considerably better than everyone else in the company. If Byron Saxton turned heel tomorrow, we would not suddenly see a drastic improvement in the ECW commentary team.

You would actually see a definite improvement in the commentary style if Saxton, Striker, or Lawler turned Heel. No doubt about it.

Where as none of them are at Ventura's level, they would still bring a massive improvement in commentary style over the Analyst concept that Vince has in place today.

But yes, Jesse Ventura is generally regarded as the second best Color Commentator in WWE history ... only behind Bobby Heenan.

I'm not going to deny this. Managers certainly add some dynamicism to potential set ups of matches, within matches and whatever else you might care to judge a wrestler on, but there are more negatives to it.

I know were going to go in circles again, but please elaborate on what those negatives are.

If you are going to say "but they detract from the action in the ring" ... I really don't give a Fuck, Tastycles. It is not your job to tell me what I should and should not be focusing on at ringside. If I want to focus on EVERYTHING going on at ringside, that is my prerogative and not your position to tell me that "I should ONLY be entertained by what is happening in the ring".

If you like real contests and want to focus on that stuff, try UFC ... or watch Amateur Wrestling. People like you who buy into this garbage of wanting to view wrestling as a real athletic contest between competitors are part of why the wrestling crowds sit in silence at the events today. It's boring.

The point you're arguing is a sound one. The problem is, is that literally nobody has argued to the contrary.

Well, good. Glad to see we agree, then.

I'd disagree. Call them managers, call them valets, call them translators, bodyguards, fellow faction members, leperchauns, call them whatever you want, there are a similar number of matches that are disrupted by outside interferance now than there were in the 80s.

Well, hold off right there. Fellow faction members like Legacy ARE NOT MANAGERS. So don't even try to lump them in the same category.

And no, there is not the same level of outside interference from valets, translators, and so forth ... compared to managers. And that is what added to the drama of the match ... as you never knew when a manager was going to interfere in a match, or not .... and if they did, how they would influence the outcome of a match.

The only type of real interference in a match you see anymore are on a Wrestler to Wrestler Interaction ... such as Legacy interfering in an Orton match.

I'm not saying that these people share the role of managers, because they aren't the same, but I think it is wrong to say that there has been a shift to total in ring competition on the part of the WWE. ROH is pretty much the only place where such a shift has occurred.

Well, this was especially evident during the time when Mike Adamle was GM of Raw. WWE was basically all in-ring competition and the Entertainment level was pretty much at an all-time low.

However, for you not to see this shift towards a more in-ring focused product these past few years, I hate to say, but is very blind on your part.

I have noticed an increase in more promos and such these past couple months, but we are talking about the overall direction WWE has moved in during the past several years ... not simply what has been going on in the past few weeks, or months.

You even said it yourself with the concept of managers ... you find it "distracting" to the action inside the ring. And that was also why the Heel Color Commentator was removed ... because Vince found the arguing banter "distracting" to the in-ring action.

And in many ways, I think this was a move to try to appear less "cartoonie" (as Vince looked at it) and try to keep fans from potentially leaving to go to UFC ... by trying to get them to look at wrestling the way ROH fans do ... and appreciate the technical wrestling aspect of pro wrestling.

But to deny there has been a shift towards more of a focus on the technical aspect of wrestling and in-ring competition these past couple years, is flat-out dishonest, or ignorant.

Did Vince say that? You've quoted it, so can we have a source? That being said, my previous argument did focus on this aspect, so I'll get on with the others soon.

I didn't say that Vince himself said it. All I said was this was the same lingo used on the Internet from what WWE's position on the matter was. So, it's safe to say that this is what Vince is thinking behind closed doors.

This is definitely the ROH-bot philosophy of the matter though, in people who have argued against the case for managers at ringside. Because, Heaven forbid, they be "distracting" from watching a fake and scripted match, anyway.

It could be. For example, attributing the entire removal of an aspect of professional wrestling to one man is further from the truth.

No, I really don't think it is. Vince is the Pro Wrestling Leader in the World, and if this is what his Royal Highness deems, then so shall the rest of the world follow his lead.

With the support of ROH-Botz and "WWE Shareholders", how could you go wrong?

Ok, I'd agree with this. I've addressed point 1, with more to come. I will address point 2, and I will propose that guys like Rosa Mendes, Bam Neely and Ranjin Singh still do 3.

Well, you and I will disagree on the level of Point 3 that is done today, and it's obvious we aren't going to agree on Point 1.

Maybe, but to be honest there were five notable ones in the period you are talking about: Slick, Heenan, Hart, Frenchie and Mr. Fuji. The characters of these five were very different, but three of them were racial stereotypes, and the other two were two of the most colourful people in wrestling history. That being said, I'm not sure Heenan had a real discernible character, outside of hating the faces and loving the heels.

Just to make a correction to the first sentence. In the very late 80's, yes it was Heenan, Hart, Slick, Frenchy Martin, and Mr. Fuji.

In the early 90's, the main players were: Heenan, Hart, Slick, Mr. Fuji, Paul Bearer, and Sensational Sherri.

Obviously, you had the occasional Specialty Manager like General Adnan running around with Sgt. Slaughter .... and then of course other lesser qualified managers like Harvey Wippleman were added.

But then along came Jim Cornette, Johnny Polo, and The Million Dollar Man, as well.

Heenan was someone who was in fact, more of a personality. He had a number of different faces he put on: Comedic Heenan and Late Night Comedian wanna-be, as well as Tough Guy Bobby Heenan in which he physically involved himself in matches and occasionally wrestled.

But Heenan was yes, more of a personality than the others.

As far as Slick and Mr. Fuji being stereotypes ... loosen up a little. Slick and Fuji entertained countless fans over the years with Slick in his pimp persona and Fuji in his "honorable, devious Japanese" persona. I wouldn't trade that for anything else back then.

Are you denying that there are Black pimps out there on the streets? Would a White pimp in this day and age make you feel better?

As far as a duplicate Mr. Fuji, maybe it could happen down the road. Who knows? Did that really offend you that much? Does Vladimir Kozlov really offend you, as well? What about William Regal, Tastycles? Honestly ....

Arguable. Very few storylines required managers,

I am going to cut you off right there. Wrestling storylines really don't require managers. That isn't what I am arguing. I am arguing that they provide MORE entertainment, drama, and MORE possibilities to angles and storylines.

Even if they aren't "required" for wrestling, why would you like to see something like this gotten rid of, given what they can add to the product?

I want to hear you say, "I don't want managers in wrestling because ........", as opposed to simply arguing "well, they aren't necessary." That tells us nothing. Why do you personally NOT want them around?

apart from ones involving the managers turning on teams. What I would say is that they increase the potential methods of interaction, but in the days when they were used, this was rarely seen. That's not to say they could be used in this way now though, and like I said, I agree that this is a worthwhile use of managers.

It adds for more possible EVERYTHING in wrestling. It is just one more factor for the viewer to look forward to.

Let's look at your possibilities:

Good idea, but there are many alternatives to this. Divas could do the same, a wrestler allegiance could do the same, but it is not a bad idea per se.

Why not a manager, though, as opposed to a Diva. That is the root of the matter I am trying to establish with you. Why is a Diva acceptable, but not a Manager?

I see it, but I'm not sure it would work for the current faces. Beating up what would probably be an old man seems cowardly, unless they attack the heel too which renders it pointless really. I can't remember even Austin beating up guys like Brisco and Patterson on their own, rather than without first eliminating an actual wrestler.

Oh, give me a break. Managers were in their 30's, 40's, and 50's. You make it sound like they are beating up a cripple.

Anytime a wrestler beats up and takes revenge out on a non-wrestler, the crowd goes wild. Listen to Taker tomb-stoning Vickie Guerrero for instance. It is a thrill for the audience because the person is not a normal in-ring combatant, yet is taking one or several bumps. And people get excited with that kind of interaction, especially since more often than not, the crowd feels the manager deserved it.

All this serves to do is remove the person people want to see from the feud they want to see them in.

Again, Bullshit. The opponent will be interjected into the storyline at some point. And eventually, it will be between those two competitors. However, does this happen in TV Dramas?

Does the hero automatically go after the villain, or do they have to go through a few henchmen and other obstacles first? It's all part of a developing story. So no, I don't accept that argument either from you.

Yes they could.

Good, we agree.

What's the point though? CM Punk goes to Teddy Long asks for a match isn't really any different to someone else doing it for him. It isn't really fresh and all it does is remove the person from the equation, for no real benefit.

Because otherwise, it will always be CM Punk interacting with Teddy Long whenever there is a problem.

Adding a manager means that sometimes CM Punk will interact with Teddy Long ... other times it may mean that the manager will interact with Teddy Long ... and other times it may mean that the manager AND CM Punk will interact with Teddy Long. It means MORE possibilities for the types of interactions.

Maybe the manager will try to intimidate Teddy Long ... and Teddy Long pushes back and gets into a confrontation with the manager, to the crowd's delight. However, then CM Punk gets involved and bullies Teddy around. Thus, everyone receives heat.

What was the bi-line of the CW Network? "Characters welcome" That is what I am advocating. More characters and different types of characters to keep the crowd entertained.

But then what? You start all over again with exactly the same storyline with another wrestler, it's tired.

I'll tell you what's tired-- seeing the same bullshit you see over and over on TV today. Nothing new. And if you think today's wrestling isn't stale, then you have got serious issues.

Again, Tastycles, you are failing on every front to come up with an argument why a wrestling element that ADDS more possible Everything is bad for wrestling.

The more possible scenarios you create, with more types of characters, the more entertaining product you will have. And this is why I have no issue arguing with people like you on this front, because I know inside, you really don't have an argument.

Not really though. I mean, I agree that there are literally more interactions. But seeing Randy Orton talk to Kofi Kingston and then seeing Bobby Heenan talk to Kofi Kingston about Randy Orton are basically the same thing.

No they aren't. Because Randy Orton and Bobby Heenan aren't the same person. When you see Randy Orton interacting with Kofi Kingston every single week on Raw, it gets tiresome. But mix it up with Kofi dealing with Orton one week, interacting with Heenan the next week, and then interacting with Orton AND Heenan the following week, and you have a much more interesting product.

Plus, you have the element of the crowd getting a thrill out of a non-wrestler getting beat up in the program.

Slightly different, but what they gain in diversity, they lose in potential. When Cena and Sheamus did the contract signing, it was mano a mano, someone might get beaten up, but which one? Replace Sheamus with a manager in that altercation, and you know that the only possible outcome is a surprise attack, which leads to the same possible scenario of "who is going through the table?".

But it doesn't have to be that way.

Your way has two possibilities (assuming someone has to go through a table):

1) Cena goes the table
2) Sheamus goes through the table

Now, if you would have had both Sheamus and his manager Jimmy Hart at the contract signing ... then, that creates a number of possibilities:

1) Cena goes through the table
2) Sheamus goes through the table, while Jimmy Hart retreats
3) Jimmy Hart goes through the table while Sheamus escapes
4) Both Sheamus and Jimmy Hart go through a table
5) Sheamus goes through the table while Jimmy Hart gets beat up
6) Cena and Sheamus brawl, with Sheamus going through the table while Jimmy Hart gets beat up

Again ... a lot more possibilities with a 3rd man involved in the equation. More characters involved = more possible scenarios to entertain the viewer with.

A few more, but not enough to outweigh the problems.

There aren't problems, Tastycles. This is Vince McMahon and the ROH-botz telling you there are problems.

There weren't problems with wrestling back in the day when they were used and WWE had a highly successful product at that time period. Your thoughts that "there are problems" is unfortunately as a result of you being brainwashed by Internet speak.

But any wrestler could already participate in any of those storylines. There doesn't have to be managers to do it.

There doesn't "have" to be. But why not? Especially when there are more scenarios available to be used to entertain the fans.

It's about giving the audience more characters for the fans to follow. Some of them are wrestlers, some of them are non-wrestlers ... but are also intriguing to follow. And it's especially interesting to watch what they are capable of doing, since the viewer knows going into it that the manager is not physically capable of going up physically against the wrestler. So the manager has to be creative and devise scenarios to get even with, or take their anger out on certain wrestlers.

And this can entertain the audience in seeing how a non-wrestler manages to accomplish this.

They already do that. Watch a Hart Dynasty match.

There aren't enough people that do it though. Natalya is not a manager, either. She is part of the faction. She just competes in the Women's Division and accompanies them to ringside.

Nor does she involve herself enough in the matches, but that is a different point.

All of the aforementioned assortments of translators etc. do all of these things. Some better than others - Natalya good, Bam Neely bad - but there is no denying that these things still occur.

I want to see non-wrestlers do these things. Again, because of the things I elaborated on earlier. It's more interesting when a true non-wrestler gets involved in a match, as opposed to someone who is considered a wrestler like a Bam Neely or a Natalya.

I also didn't know that Bam Neely was still working for WWE, Tastycles. Way to try to inflate the "Manager" roster.

Again, this still happens.

With what "managers"? Natalya? Rosa Mendez?

How often do you see them getting up on the ring apron and complaining to a referee about the count? How often do you see them slamming the mat, disgusted with the officiating?

This still happens too. Ranjin Singh always used to get nailed during Khali matches. Every single Finlay win in 2008 pretty much involved Hornswoggle baiting the opponent then the shileilagh hit for the win. Just because Hornswoggle is abhorrent for an adult viewer, it doesn't detract from his usefulness in this capacity.

Ranjin Singh wasn't involved in any matches at all, until Survivor Series where Khali "fought" Hornswoggle. That is when he began taking bumps.

But Ranjin Singh really isn't around anymore because of Khali, and Hornswoggle is not even close to being considered a manager. Plus, he is a Face, which helps give the kiddies a kick out of it ... but what about the Heel manager who involves himself, to gain the crowd's furor at ringside? Is this currently happening?

Probably the only one that people don't currently do to the same degree, but I'm not sure it makes any difference really. The crowd still get worked up in the same periods of a match.

Although it is infinitely more difficult for the wrestlers to do it as they are concentrating on the match itself. And often, they don't do it enough. However, when a match is slow, this is what a manager is useful for on the outside ... to stir the crowd up by taunting them and inciting them.

Plus, it can't hurt if both the wrestler does it as well as their manager.

Again, more possibilities is not a bad thing. The greater the flexibility, the better.

I assume you don't mean literally those people are still out there, because some of them are dead, and the others are pretty unhealthy. I reckon Heyman is the only one still fit enough to work and still in the business is probably Heyman.

No, I don't literally mean those same people. Heyman is available obviously. So is Cornette, but that won't happen, as we know.

But my point was that people of that caliber are out there and waiting to be discovered, if only WWE would change their stance on managers ... and allow them to be the characters they used to be.

So wait, Vince does what ever he wants and spoon feeds the shareholders, but he's actually listening to the ROH-bots. Interesting. Does anyone else know about this higher power? Are we going to see a Shareholder-ROHbotinistry soon? I reckon your clutching at straws. I reckon that you want to blame everything that you don't like in wrestling on a minority of fans that are, on the whole irrelevant, and Vince McMahon. I reckon that you're struggling to pin the lack of managers on either of them so you're contradicting yourself and trying to force them into the same pigeon-hole.

I didn't contradict a damn thing, Tastycles. I think Vince has been influenced by a number of factors over the years ... changes that evidently you are too blind to see.

And I think those factors are:

UFC/MMA
ROH
Japanese wrestling

He simply gave all of the ROH-botz what they wanted in the process ... and that is why they have been thrilled with the changes the past couple years.

And of course the blind "WWE Shareholders" simply go right along with whatever Vince McMahon says because to them "Vince McMahon is GODDDD!" Right, Tastycles?

I don't doubt that somebody out there has similar talents to Bobby Heenan, but nobody is looking for them, in the same way that nobody is looking for someone with the same talents as the world's greatest horsecart designer, because those talents are no longer necessary.

Those talents were "never" necessary, however they only provide more enjoyment to the product.

The bottom line is ... "do you advocate things that provide for MORE enjoyment and possibilities for the product or LESS enjoyment and possibilities for the product?"

And for you to acknowledge that "another Bobby Heenan is out there" but "WWE shouldn't look for that person because they are useless and not needed" is probably going to be a sin amongst internet posters who absolutely loved Heenan. How on Earth could you in good faith, not advocate another Bobby Heenan in the WWE? Ridiculous.

Yes, Vince rang me up actually. Oh wait, no he didn't. Show me where Vince has ever said "managers are dated". He doesn't have them on his shows, but neither does anyone else. They were a necessity in the way of broadcasting that was used from about 1984 to the start of Raw and Nitro, but have been scarcely used by anyone anywhere before or since.

And we are going in circles with this.

But when Vince refers to someone as a "manager" in this day and age, let me know.

Vince is not necessarily going to come out and say that "managers are a dated concept". I believe Jim Ross, however, made this reference to Face/Heel commentary teams .... and that clearly comes from Vince's ideology, because Ross himself said in the blog that he personally advocates those types of teams because they are more entertaining.

However, it's safe to say that since Vince believes that about the change in commentary he made, then he certainly believes the same about managers. Do you think Vince just woke up one day and simply said "You know, I am tired of calling the people at ringside managers. Let's call them stylists, translators, leprechauns, etc. And down the road, let's eliminate most of them ... for no real reason at all."

Yeah, Tastycles. Vince doesn't think it's a dated concept at all. :rolleyes:

Just like you don't think it is either, right? :rolleyes:

Until now, it has been all opinion from both sides, but this ladies and gentlemen is categorical proof that Lord Sidious is talking out of his arse.

Managers didn't really exist in the days of complete regional competition. Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Gorgeous George, all of these early days big named heels were managerless.

The change came in the 1970s, when wrestlers started touring, but the companies stayed put. Basically, the manager would stay with the company and appear with new heels as they entered the fray, so people knew to boo them and they had heat, basically.

In the early nationalised period on television, until weekly TV, there was bigger rosters, but little time for everyone to get over. This is why there were more wrestlers than managers- the managers appeared with a different wrestler each week to build heat, but their presence maintained the heat for their other clients. 1993-5 saw the advent of regular weekly television and the manager disappears from the major companies. In the late 90s the advent of digital broadcasting means smaller companies get some television exposure and the manager disappears completely.

That, for your information, is why managers are dated, because the purposes they served no longer exist.

Managers were a part of pro wrestling for about 10-15 years before they had their 9 year heyday, which is emphatically not DECADES.

Oh, please. You're arguing semantics. I was counting the 80's and 90's for this. However, they were around in WWE for at least 1985-1997. And WWE did quite well with them, wouldn't you say?

Yup, because CZW is taking all of their cues from Vince McMahon aren't they? ROH too. No, it couldn't possibly be a general trend, literally internationally witnessed, could it?

The question is "Who started the trend?" Trends start from somewhere. Who started this one, Tastycles? I already said that Vince took some pointers from Japan, ROH, MMA/UFC and so forth with his current product.

But Vince is the one that set the trend in motion in the U.S., yes. Even though he may have looked at ROH as an influence.

Are you going to be ignorant enough to suggest that Vince isn't influenced by anything outside of WWE? We already know and accept that he was influenced by ECW in creating the Attitude Era.

Right, good for you. Funnily enough, that's what WCW did very successfully. That being said, there are a few things that seem to be universally accepted by all as necessary, e.g. having heels and faces, and right now managers appear to be in this category.

I would like to agree with you, in that they should be considered necessary. Unfortunately, I think you simply made a typo.

No, actually I would quite like them to hate the person who tours with the company, the person who is invariably younger and the person who is far more dynamic in what I can have them do. If Bobby Heenan had left the WWF in 1990, about 8 people's heat would have tanked. If Haku had left, it would have effected only himself. That is why, as a promoter, you do not want the manager to be the real deal.

Just like people care about the following wrestlers who don't really have managers:

Big Show
Drew McIntyre
Sheamus
Cody Rhodes
Ted Dibiase
Dolph Ziggler
Vladimir Kozlov
Ezekiel Jackson
Shelton Benjamin

and the list goes on and on.

Like I said, the trick is for the manager to get equal timing with the wrestler they manage. Their purpose is to support the wrestler. And maybe managers went a little overboard in the past. However, let's fault that with the writers in scripting the segments to be too one-sided towards the manager and not enough for the wrestler.

Plenty of great wrestlers/characters had managers and could co-exist just fine.

Ravishing Rick Rude
Mr. Perfect
The Honky Tonk Man
The Million Dollar Man
Macho Man Randy Savage

none of those guys needed managers.

Rick Rude didn't NEED Heenan.
Honky didn't NEED Jimmy Hart.
The Big Boss Man didn't need Slick.

But they were all better with them. It was a package deal that entertained the audience and again, provided more scenarios.

Yeah, just like when nobody cared about half of Slick's clients. Crap wrestlers, crap reaction. Crap managers, crap reaction. It doesn't matter which.

Just like the crap reaction you see today to wrestlers who fans couldn't care less about today, right?

Exactly, the failure being that they focussed on the managers not the wrestlers.

There can be an equal attention on both. But if the crowd chooses to hate the wrestler more so because of the manager, who the fuck cares? That's their choice, and nor is it my place to tell them what they SHOULD be hating the wrestler for.

Firstly I don't know if you know the meaning of "exactly", but they aren't the exact words I used, so you might want to revise that one. Detracting from the man in the ring, as in the wrestler the feud is centred on, is actually a very bad thing, for reasons I've already stated. Detracting from the match in the ring, which is what you are talking about, is an entirely different thing altogether. The guy can have a man on the outside doing whatever he wants, and that can be a good thing. It only becomes a bad thing when it starts becoming more about the manager than the wrestler, which is invariably what happened in the manager era, but isn't really what happens in the current translator/enforcer/girlfriend etc. era.

If a storyline is more so about a manager's revenge for something, ambition ...etc. and they are the key focal point of the storyline, I don't have a problem with it. But those cases are going to be few and far between.

But managers are not involved enough in the matches today. They have the same problem that the wrestlers have in which Creative simply does not give them enough reason to care about them. So if you aren't going to do that, then yes, they really are useless if they aren't going to do a damn thing at ringside except look pretty 99% of the time.

There is a way to do it right, and Creative needs to find that balance. And they DO NOT have that balance today.

Secondly, I have absolutely no idea what websites you are talking about, but unless they are this forum, I have never read them.

Oh, well.

Good for you, explain to me where I said anything that countered that.

Well, being that you don't want managers around because you think they are useless, this may be something you didn't say, but certainly implied.

To be honest, I'm getting tired of you bringing up the same old tired points that are completely irrelevant to the matter at hand and arguing points that nobody has made.

I don't really give a shit, Tastycles. Quite frankly, I am tired of you doing the same, and that is likely why you see my arguing and responding with the same arguments ... because they are only a response to your own.

You don't have a case here and deep down, you know it.

It is imperative that the fans are more interested in the wrestlers than the managers, because they are the ones that you have a long term vested interest in. I have not at any point in any post I have ever written said anything negative about the idea of something going on next to the ring while there is a fight going on. Seriously, the sooner you wake up and realise that there are people that disagree with you that don't fall into some petulant categorisation that you wish to impose on them the better.

Managers, if used right, are another type of character you can have a long term interest in, as well. You have to manage both characters correctly. Maybe some managers are excellent for managing, but some wrestlers ... even with a manager, simply aren't cut out for wrestling.

So it is really dependent upon each individual case, and the potential of the wrestler.

However there is no better way to get a wrestler over than to have an established manager introduce him to the crowd.

That's all well and good, I'm not going to stop you from watching wrestling because you derive entertainment from complaining about it or for whatever other reason you choose to watch it. However, the primary focus has to be on the wrestlers themselves, because otherwise you are jeopardising your long term future. While WWF was focussing on Stone Cold and The Rock, WCW was focussing on shocking the audience. There is literally no better example.

Please. Go back and talk to Eric Bischoff about what Killed WCW. And even he will tell you that it was the Time Warner merger that did that. Don't even play that game with "Russo Killed WCW". Did Russo kill WWE by shocking the audience? No.

Managers are entertaining to many, but the problem is is that people start to care about them more.

That's the prerogative of the fan in what they want to care about. Nobody should tell them otherwise, as long as they continue to watch.

That in itself isn't much of an issue, except for the fact that eventually they get their commupance and when that does happen, people start losing interest.

That's why eventually, new wrestlers, and new managers are signed. Different characters and personalities.

There has, to my recollection, never been a manager that has stayed with a company as a manager for much longer than 5 years because once their client turns on them, nobody cares about them the next time. Having managers spread across rosters leads, in the modern era, to overexposure and people will get sick of them.

Just like they do the wrestlers, right? :rolleyes:

There is a shelf life for managers, just like there is a shelf life for wrestler.

And if handled correctly, yes people will still care when wrestlers split from managers.

Did people stop caring about Undertaker when he split with Paul Bearer? There is a right way and a wrong way to book splits like this.

All of which are currently served by girlfriends/bodyguards/sponsored drug rehabilitation people etc.

Not enough of those characters and DEFINITELY not to the degree where people even give a shit about them.

To an extent. The standard would be for Mean Gene to ask a question, the manager to spend about 2 minutes answering, then the client saying something like "I'm gonna crush you, Hogan" then that's it. For such a staunch advocate of character development of wrestling like yourself, the manager is a massive burden. What did you know about the Hart Foundation as heels other than they wore pink and Jimmy Hart was their manager? Nothing.

Then you know what you do, Genius? You spend equal time with the managers AND the wrestlers with their promos. Divide them up.

There are plenty of wrestlers on the WWE roster today that the crowd could care less about, like Mike Knox, who could use a manager to make the crowd actually care about him.

Because that isn't really variety is it? There's like 10 heels on a brand, so say 8 of them take a manager, that removes 3 possible opponents instantly. It would also lead to overexposure of the manager.

What do you mean, removes opponents? How does giving them a manager "remove an opponent"?

For fuck sake, how many times have you misquoted me?

First of all, you watch your Fucking mouth in how you speak to me. You want to debate, then let's debate. However if I seem testy in this response to you, it has only been escalated in your post right here. Watch your tone, Tastycles. For someone who I nominated as "Best Poster" out of only choosing one person to nominate, I honestly would have expected better than this out of you.

Please, before your inevitible reply, can you actually reply to what I said. I said it had moved on, not forwards, not backwards, just on. That doesn't mean it's better, it means its different. If you need a thread to explain to you that a constantly evolving roster with irregular television exposure is different to a fixed roster with copious weekly television is different, then so be it.

Why do you define getting rid of managers as "moving on". You say the business has moved on with them having their roles reduced. Why is it necessarily "moving on" in your words, as if it is a good thing for the product? How is this benefiting WWE today in your words? Please give examples.

And like I said ... because it's more of a "Monkey See ... Monkey Do" approach that organizations take when it comes to playing "follow the leader". Case and point what TNA did with Taz. Here, they took the initiative to put a Play by Play and Heel Color Commentator duo in the booth by order of Jeff Jarrett .... but when Carter suspended Jarrett and decided to "put him in his place", she took her cues from WWE in how to run the commentary with the Play by Play / Analyst approach.

So the fact that Don West wasn't a heel until about three months before he finished is irrelevant here is it? As is the fact that Jarrett was in control when they removed managers, right? How about you actually look at thing objectively before you start spouting bullshit about following the leader, if Carter is doing it, then so was Jarrett, and so was just about every other promoter for the last ten years.

Despite an overwhelming number of fans speaking that the old commentary style is far more entertaining than today's.

All it is, is a case of companies play "follow the leader". At least Indys still use managers, and can think for themselves-- as they recognize the entertainment value they bring.

They also realise that while TNA, ROH and even CZW started years after they did in many cases, they are still performing in front of crowds of 12 people while those promotions, who understand the 21st century, thrive.

Well, if the shoe fits. I call it the way I see it, and if your comments come across those of either a Shareholder or an ROH-Bot, than that is what you will be referred to as. Don't like the label? Then, learn to think for yourself.

Are you so insecure that you can't understand a conflicting opinion without putting it into some arbitrary category? Are you a WWE shareholder because you believe that entertainment is important to wrestling, like Vince does?

Why should I call Heyman that? Heyman had managers in ECW. Bischoff did have managers in WCW, as well.

And funnily enough, both got rid of them when they started having weekly television, like I said the trend was...

Vince was the one that began the trend on eliminating them.

He was also the first to have weekly TV, no coincidence there.

As far as Dixie, I already established that this was nothing more than her playing a game of "follow the leader" with Vince. I may need to come up with a new name for promoters who do this type of thing, though.

How about "successful"?

Well, I'm not convinced that you don't care about Vince's opinions, but at least you realize he doesn't care about yours.

Perhaps you should realise that he doesn't need to care about yours. I don't either, as it happens.

LOL. It's not just me. Plenty of people are concerned about the direction Vince has taken the WWE in. All you need to do is start up a topic discussing the PG rating, and I guarantee you, you will feel the people's furor over what Vince did.

But it is just you that blames every single aspect of pro wrestling that you don't agree with on Vince, and woe betide anyone who disagrees. I don't care if Vince employed 5 managers tomorrow, I would still have the same opinion, whereas you are the sort of person that would whinge about them, because you wanted 4, and Vince ruined your dreams.

Also, start up a topic on the issue of the commentary styles, and again, you will hear people voice their displeasure over what Vince did by issuing in the Era of The Analyst.

Yes, and if we go back two years, we'd find threads moaning about Jonathan Coachman being a whigney heel. Vince probably did invent this, but it is most definitely a grass is always greener scenario.

The Toning down of characters .... again start it up and see what people have to say about Vince.

Yawn, nobody with an ounce of intelligence will blame Vince for this, because it is directly a result of Razor Ramon and Diesel becoming Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and successful in WCW.

When did you begin watching wrestling, Tastycles? Not a knock on you, but when did you start watching? I'm curious.

Early 90s, I think. Whenever it started airing on a channel I had. I want to say 1992, but it could be a couple of years either side.

Now, if you did not begin watching wrestling until the late 90's or so ... then do you not think that one who has watched wrestling through that Era all the way up to and including today's Era may be considered overall more experienced on the topic they are talking about?

If they were 40+ years old, then absolutely. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and suggest that you aren't that old. In which case, even if I had starting watching in 1999, my opinion of the time previous, based on watching old youtube clips etc. would be as valid, if not more valid, then the memories you have of watching wrestling as a child, through the eyes of a child.

I lived through all the Eras. I know what worked well in each and what did not. Therefore, I think I know through Experience what I am talking about, and therefore have confidence in my opinions on this topic.

You're either a) 40 years old b) literally the only person in history to have the same opinions of things throughout their lives c) naïve d)lying or e) suffering from sever rose tinted spectacles. There is no way that you were watching wrestling in the manager era with the same analytical eyes you use now.

You would actually see a definite improvement in the commentary style if Saxton, Striker, or Lawler turned Heel. No doubt about it.

No, you'd get a whingey nobody, a whingey has been, and a diluted Matt Striker. Matt Striker liking Zach Ryder, even though he's a heel, offers far more character depth than blindly loving all the heels and hating the faces does. In fact, he essentially does what Ventura used to do, only with the faces and heels swapped: Striker mostly likes the faces, but appreciates some heels, whereas Ventura mostly supported heels, but appreciated some faces.

Where as none of them are at Ventura's level, they would still bring a massive improvement in commentary style over the Analyst concept that Vince has in place today. But yes, Jesse Ventura is generally regarded as the second best Color Commentator in WWE history ... only behind Bobby Heenan.

Not really, Ventura was a heel analyst, the current ones are face analysts. Lawler is only there for the money, quite evidently, and Saxton isn't that good. Striker is, and in time, could probably be in the same league as Ventura, but probably never better. It takes real craft to be a blind heel announcer, and only Bobby Heenan has successfully pulled off the face hating heel to a decent level, with the possible exception of Lawler a long time ago.

I know were going to go in circles again, but please elaborate on what those negatives are.

You know, the things I talk about at length in about three paragraphs time.

If you are going to say "but they detract from the action in the ring" ... I really don't give a Fuck, Tastycles. It is not your job to tell me what I should and should not be focusing on at ringside. If I want to focus on EVERYTHING going on at ringside, that is my prerogative and not your position to tell me that "I should ONLY be entertained by what is happening in the ring".

I HAVE, AT NO POINT IN MY 21 YEARS ON THIS EARTH, EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING DISTRACTING ANYONE FROM THE IN RING ACTION, HOW HARD IS THAT TO GRASP?

If you like real contests and want to focus on that stuff, try UFC ... or watch Amateur Wrestling. People like you who buy into this garbage of wanting to view wrestling as a real athletic contest between competitors are part of why the wrestling crowds sit in silence at the events today. It's boring.

Stop putting words into my mouth so that you can categorise me into your stupid petulant poster stereotypes. I have never said anything about in ring action, I don't care if there is an orgy going on the Spanish announce table.

Well, good. Glad to see we agree, then.

Its pretty pathetic when you have to make arguments that nobody has made to make your post have any sound basis though, don't you think?

Well, hold off right there. Fellow faction members like Legacy ARE NOT MANAGERS. So don't even try to lump them in the same category.

Why not? They do all the things managers used to do. They hang around at ringside, they interfere in matches, they distract the referee. They do everything that you are having a wank about and are far more commonplace in modern wrestling than they were 20 years ago, they are pretty much a direct replacement.

And no, there is not the same level of outside interference from valets, translators, and so forth ... compared to managers. And that is what added to the drama of the match ... as you never knew when a manager was going to interfere in a match, or not .... and if they did, how they would influence the outcome of a match.

No, you pretty much always knew what would happen, and it would be the same old thing. The amount of feuds that were continued for months by disqualifications due to a manager used to be huge, that isn't practical now at all so it isn't done. However, the matches that do involve valets etc. tend to finish with some sort of messy ending. I don't think Finlay had a single match last year that didn't involve Hornswoggle in some way.

The only type of real interference in a match you see anymore are on a Wrestler to Wrestler Interaction ... such as Legacy interfering in an Orton match.

So I guess you didn't see Rosa Mendes being involved in the finish literally every single Zach Ryder match for the past few weeks? Or Vickie being involved in all of Escobar's matches until last week? I certainly did.
Well, this was especially evident during the time when Mike Adamle was GM of Raw. WWE was basically all in-ring competition and the Entertainment level was pretty much at an all-time low. However, for you not to see this shift towards a more in-ring focused product these past few years, I hate to say, but is very blind on your part.
There is a shift away from promos compared to ten years ago, certainly, but this is unrelated to the lack of managers. There wasn't any during the Attitude Era, wrestling's most promo laden period, either.
I have noticed an increase in more promos and such these past couple months, but we are talking about the overall direction WWE has moved in during the past several years ... not simply what has been going on in the past few weeks, or months.
Yes we are, and WWE abandonned managers long before its current evolutionary path.
You even said it yourself with the concept of managers ... you find it "distracting" to the action inside the ring.
No I didn't. Do you even read my posts?
And that was also why the Heel Color Commentator was removed ... because Vince found the arguing banter "distracting" to the in-ring action.
And in many ways, I think this was a move to try to appear less "cartoonie" (as Vince looked at it) and try to keep fans from potentially leaving to go to UFC ... by trying to get them to look at wrestling the way ROH fans do ... and appreciate the technical wrestling aspect of pro wrestling.
I've lost track of what you are talking about, you're so off topic. This point is certainly irrelevant to managers though. The WWE still had Kama Mustafa, The Big Bossman and Val Venis when it got rid of them.
But to deny there has been a shift towards more of a focus on the technical aspect of wrestling and in-ring competition these past couple years, is flat-out dishonest, or ignorant.
To argue that the lack of managers in wrestling, a trend which began 10 years before the one you are talking about, is related to an increase in technical wrestling is flat-out ignorant.
I didn't say that Vince himself said it. All I said was this was the same lingo used on the Internet from what WWE's position on the matter was. So, it's safe to say that this is what Vince is thinking behind closed doors.
Yup, because the opinion of the interenet is as clear a view into his psyche as anything, right? You're telling me that Vince is telling me to think things, I show you up and say he hasn't ever said those things, and you defend yourself by saying that because the internet says it, it must be what he's thinking. Do you realise how ridiculous you sound?
This is definitely the ROH-bot philosophy of the matter though, in people who have argued against the case for managers at ringside. Because, Heaven forbid, they be "distracting" from watching a fake and scripted match, anyway.
How many times? I think that's three now that you have brought up something that I didn't say, working yourself up into a tizz about ROH-bots.
No, I really don't think it is. Vince is the Pro Wrestling Leader in the World, and if this is what his Royal Highness deems, then so shall the rest of the world follow his lead.
Except ROH, right, because he copies them, doesn't he?
With the support of ROH-Botz and "WWE Shareholders", how could you go wrong?
Well, you and I will disagree on the level of Point 3 that is done today, and it's obvious we aren't going to agree on Point 1.
Just to make a correction to the first sentence. In the very late 80's, yes it was Heenan, Hart, Slick, Frenchy Martin, and Mr. Fuji.
Ok, you have historical accuracy by repeating what I said.
In the early 90's, the main players were: Heenan, Hart, Slick, Mr. Fuji, Paul Bearer, and Sensational Sherri.
Heenan retired in 1991, Paul Bearer managed one guy, and Sensational Sherri was a female wrestler acting as a valet, Slick left in 1991 too. So, to be honest, my original point about who the managers was is farily accurate until 1991...
Obviously, you had the occasional Specialty Manager like General Adnan running around with Sgt. Slaughter .... and then of course other lesser qualified managers like Harvey Wippleman were added.
...when they replaced them with shit people...
But then along came Jim Cornette, Johnny Polo, and The Million Dollar Man, as well.
..then after Hart and Fuji's schedule was considerably reduced two decent ones, and an injured wrestler.
Heenan was someone who was in fact, more of a personality. He had a number of different faces he put on: Comedic Heenan and Late Night Comedian wanna-be, as well as Tough Guy Bobby Heenan in which he physically involved himself in matches and occasionally wrestled. But Heenan was yes, more of a personality than the others.
Right.
As far as Slick and Mr. Fuji being stereotypes ... loosen up a little. Slick and Fuji entertained countless fans over the years with Slick in his pimp persona and Fuji in his "honorable, devious Japanese" persona. I wouldn't trade that for anything else back then. Are you denying that there are Black pimps out there on the streets? Would a White pimp in this day and age make you feel better?
I didn't say I was offended did I? No, you've misquoted me, again. I said they were stereotypes, and not the superbly creative characters you seem to be suggesting they were.
As far as a duplicate Mr. Fuji, maybe it could happen down the road. Who knows? Did that really offend you that much? Does Vladimir Kozlov really offend you, as well? What about William Regal, Tastycles? Honestly ....
Nobody in wrestling offends me, and I didn't claim anyone did. It offends me that you appear to be unable to discern the difference between what somebody has actually said and your own incorrect interpretations of what they said. Why not start with a basic word for word analysis next time?
I am going to cut you off right there. Wrestling storylines really don't require managers. That isn't what I am arguing. I am arguing that they provide MORE entertainment, drama, and MORE possibilities to angles and storylines.
That's not what you're arguning, huh, because when you said there could be more storylines, that is inherently implied. If there aren't any storylines that require managers, which there aren't, then you cannot argue that the inclusion of managers gives you more storylines, which is what you did. It's a basic logical deduction.
Even if they aren't "required" for wrestling, why would you like to see something like this gotten rid of, given what they can add to the product?
Hmm, well its quite hard to get rid of something that hasn't been around for 15 years. I suppose the fact that they are completely superfluous is why I don't see the point in bringing them back.
I want to hear you say, "I don't want managers in wrestling because ........", as opposed to simply arguing "well, they aren't necessary." That tells us nothing. Why do you personally NOT want them around?
Because they are tired, boring and predictable. All managers do is impose themselves onto their client wrestlers, removing their potential for diversity. Rather than seeing John Cena vs Orton one month, John Cena vs Sheamus the next and John Cena vs Big Show the month after that we'll get John Cena vs Jimmy Hart 3 times in a row.
It adds for more possible EVERYTHING in wrestling. It is just one more factor for the viewer to look forward to.
Not really. The managers dilute the wrestlers. With the TV situation the way it is at present, managers with multiple clients will serve only to be overexposed and to reduce the excitement for their respective clients.
Why not a manager, though, as opposed to a Diva. That is the root of the matter I am trying to establish with you. Why is a Diva acceptable, but not a Manager?
Because a diva associated with a wrestler is typically not talented enough to make themselves centre stage. If Natalya managed more than one team or is Sensational Sherri rose from the dead tomorrow and entered wrestling, she'd be subject to the same concerns.
Oh, give me a break. Managers were in their 30's, 40's, and 50's. You make it sound like they are beating up a cripple.
A guy that looks like John Cena beating a guy that looks like anyone of the managers in your 80s and 90s list makes them look like a coward. Ever notice that Hulk Hogan never attacked those guys? Ever wondered why?
Anytime a wrestler beats up and takes revenge out on a non-wrestler, the crowd goes wild. Listen to Taker tomb-stoning Vickie Guerrero for instance. It is a thrill for the audience because the person is not a normal in-ring combatant, yet is taking one or several bumps. And people get excited with that kind of interaction, especially since more often than not, the crowd feels the manager deserved it.
He only ever attacked Vickie after attacking Edge first. The jury is still out on crowd reaction to Vickie, to be honest with you. The audience legitimately hating her to the point of leaving their seats, which is what they were close to, when she is speaking is a pretty big penalty for one pop.
Again, Bullshit. The opponent will be interjected into the storyline at some point. And eventually, it will be between those two competitors. However, does this happen in TV Dramas? Does the hero automatically go after the villain, or do they have to go through a few henchmen and other obstacles first? It's all part of a developing story. So no, I don't accept that argument either from you.
In a TV drama, how many of those henchmen are cowards? Zero. The hero never has to beat up his archnemises' weaker ally, because there's no suspense. "Oooh will John Cena be able to take out Jimmy Hart?" doesn't really have compelling viewing written all over it.
Because otherwise, it will always be CM Punk interacting with Teddy Long whenever there is a problem.
Oh, so lets say CM Punk, Jericho, Batista and Drew McIntyre are all managed by Jimmy Hart, as per the old system. CM Punk's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Jericho's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Batista's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Drew McIntyre's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Way to stop repetition.
Adding a manager means that sometimes CM Punk will interact with Teddy Long ... other times it may mean that the manager will interact with Teddy Long ... and other times it may mean that the manager AND CM Punk will interact with Teddy Long. It means MORE possibilities for the types of interactions.
And MORE possibilities for repetition. Given the situation above, with just those 4 wrestlers, there is a 25% chance of seeing the same thing. Add a manager in, and what appears to be two different possibilities doesn't seem so appealing with a step back. You end up with a 50% chance of repetition.
Maybe the manager will try to intimidate Teddy Long ... and Teddy Long pushes back and gets into a confrontation with the manager, to the crowd's delight. However, then CM Punk gets involved and bullies Teddy around. Thus, everyone receives heat.
Then they repeat it next week with Drew McIntyre, yeah?
What was the bi-line of the CW Network? "Characters welcome" That is what I am advocating. More characters and different types of characters to keep the crowd entertained.
Why not just have a roster of 1000 different wrestlers then?
I'll tell you what's tired-- seeing the same bullshit you see over and over on TV today. Nothing new. And if you think today's wrestling isn't stale, then you have got serious issues.
If you think that Jimmy Hart giving us literally the same ending to every single Hart Foundation match for a year isn't stale, then you have serious issues.
Again, Tastycles, you are failing on every front to come up with an argument why a wrestling element that ADDS more possible Everything is bad for wrestling.
You mean other than all the facts I have continued to make. You can't have every wrestler having a different manager, there isn't the talent nor the time. Having managers with multiple clients takes away from the possible diversity of a wrestling programme.
The more possible scenarios you create, with more types of characters, the more entertaining product you will have. And this is why I have no issue arguing with people like you on this front, because I know inside, you really don't have an argument.
I don't have a problem arguing with you, because you are completely incapable of looking at the bigger picture. If wrestling involved one heel feuding with one face and interacting with one authority figure, then a manager adds diversity. If you have the large roster, all of which needs to fight amongst itself as it does today with a limited number of managers as you are advocating, then it completely removes diversity.
No they aren't. Because Randy Orton and Bobby Heenan aren't the same person. When you see Randy Orton interacting with Kofi Kingston every single week on Raw, it gets tiresome. But mix it up with Kofi dealing with Orton one week, interacting with Heenan the next week, and then interacting with Orton AND Heenan the following week, and you have a much more interesting product.
Then you have Kingston's next feud against The Miz, who's alo managed by Bobby Heenan. Uh-oh, we're seeing Heenan vs Kingston, something we saw last month. You don't need diversity in short term feuds, but you do in the long term. That is why the 1980s product, with three month long feuds suited managers to spice things up, and today's product, with three week feuds doesn't. It gets stale? Replace the wrestler. It'd be great if every heel could have an associate to create depth to feuds, but it only works if everyone has a different one, and you and I and everyone with half a wrestling brain cell know that isn't possible.
Plus, you have the element of the crowd getting a thrill out of a non-wrestler getting beat up in the program.
I guarantee that people would stop caring about this after it happened twice.
But it doesn't have to be that way. Your way has two possibilities (assuming someone has to go through a table): 1) Cena goes the table 2) Sheamus goes through the table Now, if you would have had both Sheamus and his manager Jimmy Hart at the contract signing ... then, that creates a number of possibilities: 1) Cena goes through the table 2) Sheamus goes through the table, while Jimmy Hart retreats 3) Jimmy Hart goes through the table while Sheamus escapes 4) Both Sheamus and Jimmy Hart go through a table 5) Sheamus goes through the table while Jimmy Hart gets beat up 6) Cena and Sheamus brawl, with Sheamus going through the table while Jimmy Hart gets beat up
Ok, so 5) and 6) are the same, reducing us to 5. There's only one table, so 4) doesn't really follow, leaving us with 4. Now, it is essential that you carefully read what I actually say now. With my way, say Cena and Sheamus fight this month and Cena and Orton next month and Cena and Big Show after that, then there is no chance of you seeing something you have directly seen before. With your way, assuming Hart manages the three, you have the potential for Cena putting Hart through a table being repeated 3 times.
Again ... a lot more possibilities with a 3rd man involved in the equation. More characters involved = more possible scenarios to entertain the viewer with.
But this only works if the managers have one client or if wrestling only lasts for one month, otherwise it increases repetition.
There aren't problems, Tastycles. This is Vince McMahon and the ROH-botz telling you there are problems.
I've literally never had a convorsation with either Vince McMahon or a Ring of Honor fan.
There weren't problems with wrestling back in the day when they were used and WWE had a highly successful product at that time period. Your thoughts that "there are problems" is unfortunately as a result of you being brainwashed by Internet speak.
Wrestling was completely different then though. They used to have 3 hour matches in a successful product, but that wouldn't work now either. The way wrestling is presented is completely different now, and the product has to change to reflect that. Show me a company that has ever succesfully used and maintained a sizable manager roster whilst also presenting weekly television and you'll have a point. I'm saying that's why there are no managers, and there's a direct correlation between when companies give them up and when they get weekly television. My ideas are based on factual premises like that, and yours are based on your own bias conjecture.
There doesn't "have" to be. But why not? Especially when there are more scenarios available to be used to entertain the fans.
I've actually made a series of other points relating to the fact that managers are uneeded and the fact that they are a detriment to variety in the long term, try to keep up.
It's about giving the audience more characters for the fans to follow. Some of them are wrestlers, some of them are non-wrestlers ... but are also intriguing to follow. And it's especially interesting to watch what they are capable of doing, since the viewer knows going into it that the manager is not physically capable of going up physically against the wrestler. So the manager has to be creative and devise scenarios to get even with, or take their anger out on certain wrestlers. And this can entertain the audience in seeing how a non-wrestler manages to accomplish this.
The only way it would work in this way in the long term, without having repetition, is if managers only have one client. That's not practical for all wrestlers, and because its a one on one relationship, there needs to be a strong chemistry between them for the fans to buy it. If you found managers like that, then go for it, employ them, but that is certainly not the kind of thing you can go out and blanketly employ.
There aren't enough people that do it though. Natalya is not a manager, either. She is part of the faction. She just competes in the Women's Division and accompanies them to ringside.
That's what Sensational Sherri used to do, and you had no problem using her to support your arguments earleir.
Nor does she involve herself enough in the matches, but that is a different point.
She is involved, in some way, in all of their matches. She's not a direct part of every single finish, because that is tiresome, but she never stands there throughout gawping at the proceedings whatever the result, as you appear to be implying.
I want to see non-wrestlers do these things. Again, because of the things I elaborated on earlier. It's more interesting when a true non-wrestler gets involved in a match, as opposed to someone who is considered a wrestler like a Bam Neely or a Natalya.
Why is that more interesting? Why is a woman who ocaisionally, and I mean occaisionally, wrestles any less entertaining prima facie than a 50 year old man who does the same thing?
I also didn't know that Bam Neely was still working for WWE, Tastycles. Way to try to inflate the "Manager" roster.
Oh, so you can talk about stuff that is a year old and use it as contemporary evidence, but I can't. If that is the case, then pretend I said Luke Gallows.
With what "managers"? Natalya? Rosa Mendez? How often do you see them getting up on the ring apron and complaining to a referee about the count? How often do you see them slamming the mat, disgusted with the officiating?
Slamming the mat? That's a real ratings draw, that is. If the absence of people slamming their hand on the mat is the level of complaint you have with the WWE, it is evidently clear that you will never be happy.
Ranjin Singh wasn't involved in any matches at all, until Survivor Series where Khali "fought" Hornswoggle. That is when he began taking bumps.
So when the Undertaker started advancing on him on Khali's PPV debut, only for Taker to turn into Khali's finisher, that wasn't him getting involved in the finish of matches? Get your facts right and try again.
But Ranjin Singh really isn't around anymore because of Khali, and Hornswoggle is not even close to being considered a manager. Plus, he is a Face, which helps give the kiddies a kick out of it ... but what about the Heel manager who involves himself, to gain the crowd's furor at ringside? Is this currently happening?
There is literally no difference between William Regal appearing at ringside and supporting Kozlov on ECW and the position you are crying out for, except Regal has the added dynamic of actually being a threat to the opponent.
Although it is infinitely more difficult for the wrestlers to do it as they are concentrating on the match itself. And often, they don't do it enough. However, when a match is slow, this is what a manager is useful for on the outside ... to stir the crowd up by taunting them and inciting them. Plus, it can't hurt if both the wrestler does it as well as their manager. Again, more possibilities is not a bad thing. The greater the flexibility, the better.
I'd agree with this, certainly, but I'm not sure it is really worth bringing back managers so that a 20 second rest hold is slightly more interesting, especially when a quality wrestler can do it without a manager.
No, I don't literally mean those same people. Heyman is available obviously. So is Cornette, but that won't happen, as we know.
Heyman won't happen either, keep dreaming...
But my point was that people of that caliber are out there and waiting to be discovered, if only WWE would change their stance on managers ... and allow them to be the characters they used to be.
Again, the next great black and white minstrel is probably out there somewhere, but they no onger have a place in entertainment.
I didn't contradict a damn thing, Tastycles. I think Vince has been influenced by a number of factors over the years ... changes that evidently you are too blind to see.
So Vince is the market leader, but he is also copying a third rate promotion for no real reason, and you don't think that is a contradiction.
And I think those factors are: UFC/MMA ROH Japanese wrestling He simply gave all of the ROH-botz what they wanted in the process ... and that is why they have been thrilled with the changes the past couple years.
Yeah, because ROH fans are just creaming over WWE aren't they. I cannot believe that you don't see the absolute ******edness in blaming fans of a promotion that debuted in 2002 for a trend that began in 1993.
And of course the blind "WWE Shareholders" simply go right along with whatever Vince McMahon says because to them "Vince McMahon is GODDDD!" Right, Tastycles?
This literally has no relevance to anything. You've invented a term for people who like WWE, right, I get it. Nobody is going to give it widespread use, so I'm afraid you're not going to be able to give yourself a big pat on the back so please stop bringing it up.
Those talents were "never" necessary, however they only provide more enjoyment to the product. The bottom line is ... "do you advocate things that provide for MORE enjoyment and possibilities for the product or LESS enjoyment and possibilities for the product?"
Why is that a quote? Who said that? For the millionth time, take a step back, look at the long term implications, and see why managers are a bad idea.
And for you to acknowledge that "another Bobby Heenan is out there" but "WWE shouldn't look for that person because they are useless and not needed" is probably going to be a sin amongst internet posters who absolutely loved Heenan. How on Earth could you in good faith, not advocate another Bobby Heenan in the WWE? Ridiculous.
B-b-b-but I thought I was blindly following the internet hoards, sigh. By the way, it's the same way I could advocate not finding another Lou Thesz. Nobody wants to see that anymore.
And we are going in circles with this. But when Vince refers to someone as a "manager" in this day and age, let me know.
I will, he talks to me often, apparantly.
Vince is not necessarily going to come out and say that "managers are a dated concept". I believe Jim Ross, however, made this reference to Face/Heel commentary teams .... and that clearly comes from Vince's ideology, because Ross himself said in the blog that he personally advocates those types of teams because they are more entertaining.
But you can't say that people are listening to Vince if he isn't saying what you say they're listening to.

However, it's safe to say that since Vince believes that about the change in commentary he made, then he certainly believes the same about managers. Do you think Vince just woke up one day and simply said "You know, I am tired of calling the people at ringside managers. Let's call them stylists, translators, leprechauns, etc. And down the road, let's eliminate most of them ... for no real reason at all."
No I don't think Vince said that. I think he looked at the differences in television before and after Raw, and looked at what was likely to work and what wasn't, and then made the change. The same way Bischoff did when Nitro was born, the same thing Heyman did when ECW on TNN was born and the same thing that Jarrett did when iMPACT debuted. But I don't know, and I don't care. Unlike you, I don't find it necessary to ponder Vince McMahon's deepest thoughts, I just let him get on with it and make my opinion on it.
Yeah, Tastycles. Vince doesn't think it's a dated concept at all. :rolleyes: Just like you don't think it is either, right? :rolleyes:
No, I'm sure we both do, because it is. That isn't the point I was making, the point I was making is that Vince didn't make my mind up, I did. You know how the people in this thread have mostly agreed with you, that is their opinion, my opinion is different, but it is unrelated to anyone else's, just like yours is unrelated to the other people in this thread.
Oh, please. You're arguing semantics. I was counting the 80's and 90's for this. However, they were around in WWE for at least 1985-1997. And WWE did quite well with them, wouldn't you say?
Firstly, when you try and make me look ignorant by capitalising a word to emphasise how wrong I am, when you are in fact wrong yourself, that merits attention. Secondly, they did well until 1993, like I said they should with the way TV was; then they started haemorridging money, because of WCW and because their product wasn't the right fit for their television market, so they changed it. One of those changes was removing managers.
The question is "Who started the trend?" Trends start from somewhere. Who started this one, Tastycles? I already said that Vince took some pointers from Japan, ROH, MMA/UFC and so forth with his current product. But Vince is the one that set the trend in motion in the U.S., yes. Even though he may have looked at ROH as an influence.
Yes, Vince got in his time machine in 1997, went forward 5 years, found a promotion that half fills 600 seater arenas, copied their ideas, went back in time and implemented the changes. No. Vince was the pioneer because he was the first with weekly TV, which is the decisive factor, like I said.
Are you going to be ignorant enough to suggest that Vince isn't influenced by anything outside of WWE? We already know and accept that he was influenced by ECW in creating the Attitude Era.
Are you going to be ignorant enough to suggest that Vince is influenced by anything that wasn't born until 5 years after he made the change?
I would like to agree with you, in that they should be considered necessary. Unfortunately, I think you simply made a typo.
It was.
Just like people care about the following wrestlers who don't really have managers: Big Show Drew McIntyre Sheamus Cody Rhodes Ted Dibiase Dolph Ziggler Vladimir Kozlov Ezekiel Jackson Shelton Benjamin and the list goes on and on.
Look at the roster from 1989, and tell me there isn't the same number of people that people don't care about. Nobody cared about The Red Rooster, nobody cared about High Cheif Sivi Afi. I cannot be bothered to actually look for the roster, but if I did, we both know that there'd be plenty more where they came from.
Like I said, the trick is for the manager to get equal timing with the wrestler they manage. Their purpose is to support the wrestler. And maybe managers went a little overboard in the past. However, let's fault that with the writers in scripting the segments to be too one-sided towards the manager and not enough for the wrestler. Plenty of great wrestlers/characters had managers and could co-exist just fine. Ravishing Rick Rude Mr. Perfect The Honky Tonk Man The Million Dollar Man Macho Man Randy Savage
So in an era where every heel had a manager, you've come up with 5 people. I don't think Ted DiBiase had a manager in the traditional sense, Savage had Sherri, but she was basically a valet and the other three are pretty iconic, to of them becoming managers themselves.
none of those guys needed managers. Rick Rude didn't NEED Heenan. Honky didn't NEED Jimmy Hart. The Big Boss Man didn't need Slick. But they were all better with them. It was a package deal that entertained the audience and again, provided more scenarios.
They weren't really that much better to be honest, but it demonstrates a oint quite nicely. Heenan managed Rude because he feuded with the Ultimate Warrior for 6 months, so he pretty much did need the diversity, that longevity isn't there anymore, so the diversity comes from not having managers.
Just like the crap reaction you see today to wrestlers who fans couldn't care less about today, right?
Exactly.
There can be an equal attention on both. But if the crowd chooses to hate the wrestler more so because of the manager, who the fuck cares? That's their choice, and nor is it my place to tell them what they SHOULD be hating the wrestler for.
No, there's no rules. But you don't want the manager to dominate the feud, because then when his next client faces the same face, the audience immediately feel they have seen it.
If a storyline is more so about a manager's revenge for something, ambition ...etc. and they are the key focal point of the storyline, I don't have a problem with it. But those cases are going to be few and far between.
Right, so they don't really have much storyline potential then.
But managers are not involved enough in the matches today. They have the same problem that the wrestlers have in which Creative simply does not give them enough reason to care about them. So if you aren't going to do that, then yes, they really are useless if they aren't going to do a damn thing at ringside except look pretty 99% of the time.
If there's already a lack of creative input, don't you think its better to focus on the wrestlers before the managers first? I'm not sure I agree at all with you, but I know that if I did, I'd want creative to crawl before they run.
There is a way to do it right, and Creative needs to find that balance. And they DO NOT have that balance today.
Nor have they ever, suggesting it's not very viable.
Oh, well.
Yes, oh well. You've made yourself look like a tit again by accusing me of something without basis.
Well, being that you don't want managers around because you think they are useless, this may be something you didn't say, but certainly implied.
So by saying I don't want a 1980s manager figure, you are hearing "I want 5* technical masterclasses"? Seriously.
I don't really give a shit, Tastycles. Quite frankly, I am tired of you doing the same, and that is likely why you see my arguing and responding with the same arguments ... because they are only a response to your own.
The difference being that I am repeating arguments that are relevant to the thread and you are having a cry wank about ROH-bots and shareholders that are completely irrelevant to the matter at hand. You have brought up commentary on no fewer than 5 occaisions in this thread, yet it has zero to do with managers. You just want to peddle your tired rhetoric and loosely veil it inside an opinion about something vaguely relevant.
You don't have a case here and deep down, you know it.
I do and you're either too vain or too stupid to see it.
Managers, if used right, are another type of character you can have a long term interest in, as well. You have to manage both characters correctly. Maybe some managers are excellent for managing, but some wrestlers ... even with a manager, simply aren't cut out for wrestling. So it is really dependent upon each individual case, and the potential of the wrestler.
There has never been a manager that has lasted as long with a company as Funaki has been in the WWE, if that doesn't show a lack of longevity, I don't know what does.
However there is no better way to get a wrestler over than to have an established manager introduce him to the crowd.
Welcome to 1980. Nobody cares about Eric Escobar, who had the most hated figure in the WWE introduce him. If that isn't an indication about how wrong you are, I don't know what is.

I would say managers would still work today, but more for a singular wrestler, and not a group of wrestlers. Bobby Heenan had many guys under his direction at any given time, as did Jimmy Hart, and others as well. I don't think there's room for more than one manager to handle a group of guys. The rosters seem pretty small to me to incorporate many multi-handlers.

I'd be all in favor of Striker being the stable manager. He's a guy that's just short of being Bobby Heenan, and I think he could do wonders. Hell, he made Big Daddy V more interesting than he should have been. The only other guy I could see managing multiple talents is Ric Flair, and why WWE never kept around for this position is beyond me. It seems Vince still loves putting him on TV, so why not keep him on, and continue to use that voice that never gets old and worn out? Hell, he'd be great as the surprise head of any youth movement WWE might be trying to push right now. Sort of a 'You top guys pushed me out, now see me bring in guys to push you out' type of deal.

Divas don't have to manage, sometimes having a little eye candy with you helps out as well. This is why I was actually pissed they ended the Dolph-Maria unity. What the hell else was Maria doing? She might as well come out as Dolph's girl. As a face, she could always be trying to turn Dolph, and maybe either succeed, or betray her own friends and join him. It'd at least be something. I like Rosa with Zach Ryder, I liked Miz and Maryse interacting with each other. Pairing two people together makes for more dynamics than two solo guys going out there every single night.

Yes I do believe managers should be brought back. It's a lost art in the WWE. I miss the days of Brock and Paul Heyman. During Brock's match for the undisputed championship at Summerslam 2002, Heyman was the X-factor in that match. He did such a great job of being the heel manager. Those two put on a pretty damn good match, but Heyman's presence at ringside made that match more suspenseful. Stephanie Mcmahon also did a great job managing Jericho leading up to Wrestlemania 18 during the whole break-up storyline between her and Triple H. Managers definitely need to be brought back because it's something that WWE is missing. And if you place the right managers with the right wrestlers, than it would be a great element WWE has been missing for quite some time.

I would want to see Teddy Long go to ECW and manage Big Zeek. He's done the GM role to death, and he looks really stale doing it now. Big Zeek's stable seems to be on the verge of a break-up, and it looks like Vladmir and Regal will stay close, while Zeek will be left out on his own. This would be a perfect chance for Long to come in, and mentor the big man. He could help add prestige to Big Zeek.

I know Finaly is face now, but if he were still heel, I would put him with Sheamus. This would be a perfect match. Both have the Irish connection, both have a brawling in-rig style, and they also have the tough-guy character. Finaly is a veteran, and I'm sure this would bring a lot of prestige to Sheamus.

Shelton Benjamin could also use a manager. I would put him with Tony Atlas. I liked the chemistry between Henry and Atlas. Atlas has a strong voice, a strong presence, and is a hall of famer. That's what Shelton would need. Someone with that strong presence, to make him look like a force to be reckoned with. Plus, I think Atlas has more to offer than just saying, "Heeeeeeer's Abe!".

Vickie Guerrero has also over-done the GM role, but she is still able to get a great amount of heat. I would put her with Carlito. This guy needs major help in getting heat, since his feud(if you can call it that) really went no where with Primo. I would NOT use the boyfriend/girlfriend sotryline since it was already done with Escobar, and the husband/wife thing was done to death with Edge. Vickie would be more of a motivator and mentor to Carlito. If he wants to get pushed and gain heat, this would be a great way to start.

This is a true statement. It is a lost art. The days of Heenan, Cornette, and Heyman are probably over. Someone that could make a good manager includes Matt Striker, Vickie Guererro, and for eye candy, Kelly Kelly. She reminds me of Precious from the Jim Crockett days. Precious managed Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin during his singles run in the mid 80's. She'd be perfect for someone like The Miz or Morrison or even Jack Swagger.

It's a shame how much of a lost art this is. Managers were masters at drawing heat and made weak wrestlers look like animals. The managers were there to make sure things were running smoothly and to help coach the wrestlers. And to interfere of course.

Now, I now that Sid will say that Precious was a valet, and that's true, but she played her role real well. She had that can of hair spray and it worked for her. It'd work for Kelly Kelly, too. Natalya is someone who's also a good valet. It's obvious she's possibly sleeping with Tyson Kidd or David Smith or BOTH. She's too happy all the time.

Anyway, Matt Striker would be the only clear cut stereotypical manager type that would work in this day and age. Attach him to someone who has a tough time cutting promos like Sheamus, Eric Escobar, or Mark Henry. But it's a lost art and the WWE could care less about bringing it back.

I made an attempt at reading this thread, but honestly it was way too much. I'll keep my post simple...

Honestly, the best options for managers/valets in the WWE are all Divas. Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox, Maryse, and Layla would all be best served escorting a main eventer (or even a midcarder) to the ring. Picture someone like Mike Knox having a lady like Layla on his arm during a promo, or standing at ringside as he tosses an opponent around the ring. Or take Kofi, and give him a blonde bombshell like Maryse to help him out.

Santino was mentioned by someone, and he could work as a manager for a Diva, but I don't see him being a realistic option as a manager for any of the guys on the roster.

It's been far too long since we saw a real manager at ringside, and it's something that would be hard to include in the modern WWE. There's really no one to teach anyone how to do it, besides Teddy Long, and if he's going to teach someone, they might as well just toss him out there and have him push a young stud up the ranks.

We're going to try this again, but I'm not going to go overboard and respond to everything. It's getting entirely too tedious.

Are you so insecure that you can't understand a conflicting opinion without putting it into some arbitrary category? Are you a WWE shareholder because you believe that entertainment is important to wrestling, like Vince does?

I would ask the same thing of you, Tastycles.

And funnily enough, both got rid of them when they started having weekly television, like I said the trend was...

He was also the first to have weekly TV, no coincidence there.

What does this have to do with ringside managers?

How about "successful"?

Right place, right time, right circumstances in a niche business.

Perhaps you should realise that he doesn't need to care about yours. I don't either, as it happens.

Fair enough. I just get upset when people advocate that Vince shouldn't care about anyone else's opinion. But I truly have never seen any other business such as this with the amount of spoon-feeding and accepting just because Vince says so.

It's mind-boggling. In any other business, actual shareholders and customers tell the company what they want. This business, however, is ass-backwards with the mentality of many wrestling fans. Maybe it's just laziness. I don't honestly know.
But it is just you that blames every single aspect of pro wrestling that you don't agree with on Vince, and woe betide anyone who disagrees.

As I should. Vince has a monopoly over the business and it has been well-established that he is the true Head of the Creative Team by all accounts, not Stephanie. If Vince weren't as hands-on to the obsessive degree he is, than maybe I wouldn't blast him for everything that goes wrong in WWE.

But he takes that responsibility because HE IS responsible for everything that you see on that TV screen, quite literally.

I don't care if Vince employed 5 managers tomorrow, I would still have the same opinion, whereas you are the sort of person that would whinge about them, because you wanted 4, and Vince ruined your dreams.

Absolutely untrue. I just want a couple people who are actually called managers back on the TV screen and managing like they used to. We don't need 6 or 7. Maybe a good 3 or 4 divided up amongst the shows.

If they were 40+ years old, then absolutely. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and suggest that you aren't that old. In which case, even if I had starting watching in 1999, my opinion of the time previous, based on watching old youtube clips etc. would be as valid, if not more valid, then the memories you have of watching wrestling as a child, through the eyes of a child.

No amount of YouTube clips you watch will ever substitute for the experience of not only watching TV religiously each week in that time frame, or going to Live Events. None.

You're either a) 40 years old b) literally the only person in history to have the same opinions of things throughout their lives c) naïve d)lying or e) suffering from sever rose tinted spectacles. There is no way that you were watching wrestling in the manager era with the same analytical eyes you use now.

Well, no, because I was a mark back then. But that doesn't mean that I don't treasure what I enjoyed back then and think it is just as valuable today. Fact of the matter is that having a third man at ringside made the matches that much more interesting and intriguing in watching their antics or whether or not they would interfere or not ... then watching a scripted bout solely between two people.

But I've already elaborated on all the benefits of managers in my earlier replies.

Not really, Ventura was a heel analyst, the current ones are face analysts. Lawler is only there for the money, quite evidently, and Saxton isn't that good. Striker is, and in time, could probably be in the same league as Ventura, but probably never better. It takes real craft to be a blind heel announcer, and only Bobby Heenan has successfully pulled off the face hating heel to a decent level, with the possible exception of Lawler a long time ago.

The problem is that if Bobby Heenan was in the WWE today and he would do today what he did back then, you would be completely contradicting yourself. If you think Heenan was so great back then, but not advocate someone like him today in the booth, then it really defies logic and more so points to you being a person accepting whatever Vince gives you, blindly.

You know, the things I talk about at length in about three paragraphs time.

I HAVE, AT NO POINT IN MY 21 YEARS ON THIS EARTH, EVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING DISTRACTING ANYONE FROM THE IN RING ACTION, HOW HARD IS THAT TO GRASP?

You haven't said it. But your circumlocution with the words you do say, tell a different story.

Stop putting words into my mouth so that you can categorise me into your stupid petulant poster stereotypes. I have never said anything about in ring action, I don't care if there is an orgy going on the Spanish announce table.

LOL.

Why not? They do all the things managers used to do. They hang around at ringside, they interfere in matches, they distract the referee. They do everything that you are having a wank about and are far more commonplace in modern wrestling than they were 20 years ago, they are pretty much a direct replacement.

No, that's the problem I have. They really don't do much of that at all. Calling Rosa Mendes and Natalya a "direct replacement" for managers of the past is just too much of a stretch. They don't do the same things. They don't get on the mic nearly enough. And nor are they interesting enough at ringside to get people to even care about them.

No, you pretty much always knew what would happen, and it would be the same old thing.

That's the thing though. No, you didn't. Sometimes managers would interfere and sometimes they would not. You never knew when they were going to interfere or cost someone a match or not.

Besides, the interference result varied. Sometimes, they would get away with it. Sometimes, they would not. Sometimes they interfered and the opponent still kicked out. Sometimes the manager got assaulted after the match for his troubles. Sometimes, he was grabbed, but got away.

We are talking about introducing a whole host of new scenarios on television to keep the viewer entertained with another person at ringside to keep your eye on.

The amount of feuds that were continued for months by disqualifications due to a manager used to be huge, that isn't practical now at all so it isn't done. However, the matches that do involve valets etc. tend to finish with some sort of messy ending. I don't think Finlay had a single match last year that didn't involve Hornswoggle in some way.

So you know what they do? They need to not interject themselves with the frequency they used to in the past. That way you question whether or not they will interfere, and there is another unknown for the viewer to pay attention to.

The managers dilute the wrestlers. With the TV situation the way it is at present, managers with multiple clients will serve only to be overexposed and to reduce the excitement for their respective clients.

That's why you assign managers to one or two clients instead of 3, 4, or 5 guys.

Who cares if managers dilute the wrestlers? Whatever gets over with the audience is the way to go. If a mouthy manager causes heat, then great. If a combination of the mouthy manager AND the wrestler causes Mega Heat, then even better.

It's all in how the segments are booked. The more characters and types of characters involved, the more dramatic the scenario is.

Pro Wrestling is not MMA or UFC, where we are talking about real fights. We are talking about a surreal environment.

A guy that looks like John Cena beating a guy that looks like anyone of the managers in your 80s and 90s list makes them look like a coward.

That is completely untrue and you know it. Did you think the crowd sat on their thumbs whenever Bobby Heenan got decked or Jimmy Hart got knocked off the apron?

That ALWAYS got a pop out of the audience. Every time. Hogan didn't look cowardly. Warrior didn't look cowardly. They were cheered every time, because they knew the manager deserved it.

Ever notice that Hulk Hogan never attacked those guys? Ever wondered why?

Actually, Hogan frequently attacked those guys. Not sure what WWF clips you were watching.

He only ever attacked Vickie after attacking Edge first. The jury is still out on crowd reaction to Vickie, to be honest with you. The audience legitimately hating her to the point of leaving their seats, which is what they were close to, when she is speaking is a pretty big penalty for one pop.

The problem with Vickie is that she is given entirely too much screen time. She is much better suited for a manager role than a GM role.

In a TV drama, how many of those henchmen are cowards? Zero. The hero never has to beat up his archnemises' weaker ally, because there's no suspense.

Maybe that isn't featured in Britain, but that certainly isn't the case in American media. Heroes ALWAYS beat up the henchmen and associates before getting to the main villain. It's called "progressing the story along".

"Oooh will John Cena be able to take out Jimmy Hart?" doesn't really have compelling viewing written all over it.

It is compelling. Because Jimmy Hart is a non-wrestler character. And whenever non-wrestlers get beat-up, it sparks a crowd reaction every time. Go back and review some old tapes.
Oh, so lets say CM Punk, Jericho, Batista and Drew McIntyre are all managed by Jimmy Hart, as per the old system.

Well, first off, I made my intentions clear that I don't want managers managing that many people anymore. But let's continue. I just wanted to set the record straight on that.

CM Punk's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Jericho's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Batista's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long. Drew McIntyre's got a problem, Jimmy Hart goes to speak to Teddy Long.

When did I ever say that it should always be Jimmy Hart going to speak to Teddy Long every time? I never advocated that.

Some times Jimmy Hart would speak to Teddy Long. Some times both Jimmy Hart and client speak to Teddy Long. Some times just the client speaks to Teddy Long. Otherwise, it's ALWAYS Batista speaking to Teddy Long, CM Punk ALWAYS speaking to Teddy Long, and so forth. And that's a problem.

Way to stop repetition. And MORE possibilities for repetition.

Like the repetition of today? Those scenarios provide for less repetition than what you see today.

Given the situation above, with just those 4 wrestlers, there is a 25% chance of seeing the same thing. Add a manager in, and what appears to be two different possibilities doesn't seem so appealing with a step back. You end up with a 50% chance of repetition.

There is absolutely no way you can argue that having an additional person will equate to less scenarios than what we have today. The more people involved, and the more types of characters there are ... the more possibilities there are to entertain the viewer. This simply can not be disputed.

Then they repeat it next week with Drew McIntyre, yeah? Why not just have a roster of 1000 different wrestlers then?

Because the key to this that you aren't getting is the addition of a different TYPE of character. Not just all 1000 wrestlers. It is the type of character and what they do that serves as the intrigue to the viewer.

I want to see what a manager does to support the wrestler outside of the ring and in the backstage area. I don't want to see all wrestlers.

If you think that Jimmy Hart giving us literally the same ending to every single Hart Foundation match for a year isn't stale, then you have serious issues.

It's all in the booking. I certainly wouldn't advocate Jimmy Hart interfering with his megaphone in every match. That is why I think these points you are making are somewhat weak, because you know damn well it is all in how the talent is booked and NOBODY is saying that the same finish should result in every match. NOBODY.

But besides that, that still provides for more match finishes than just the wrestlers being out there. So if you are going to badmouth the manager for repetition, I am having difficulty understanding why you aren't bad-mouthing the wrestlers as well for repetitive finishes.

You mean other than all the facts I have continued to make. You can't have every wrestler having a different manager, there isn't the talent nor the time. Having managers with multiple clients takes away from the possible diversity of a wrestling program.

I said I am fine with managers having 1 or 2 clients. And I fail to see how you can claim how managers take away from the diversity of a wrestling program, when it is clear that the more people involved, the more scenarios that are possible.
I don't have a problem arguing with you, because you are completely incapable of looking at the bigger picture.

I feel the same way about you, to be frank.

If wrestling involved one heel feuding with one face and interacting with one authority figure, then a manager adds diversity. If you have the large roster, all of which needs to fight amongst itself as it does today with a limited number of managers as you are advocating, then it completely removes diversity. Then you have Kingston's next feud against The Miz, who's alo managed by Bobby Heenan. Uh-oh, we're seeing Heenan vs Kingston, something we saw last month.

Who says this is how it would be booked? Maybe I wouldn't book the matches to be back to back feuds with Heenan clients for Kingston.

Like I said several times, Tastycles, it's all in how it is booked. But I really feel you are grasping at straws here, because you know damn well that this is the case.

Now, it is essential that you carefully read what I actually say now. With my way, say Cena and Sheamus fight this month and Cena and Orton next month and Cena and Big Show after that, then there is no chance of you seeing something you have directly seen before.

But you are. You are seeing:

Wrestler vs Wrestler going through a table

Not to mention that we've seen Cena vs Orton and Cena vs Big Show how many times now? Do you not think that is repetitive?

With your way, assuming Hart manages the three, you have the potential for Cena putting Hart through a table being repeated 3 times. But this only works if the managers have one client or if wrestling only lasts for one month, otherwise it increases repetition.

How about we assume that Jimmy Hart does not manage all 3, okay? Because that would have been highly unlikely anyway.

Maybe nobody would manage Orton, Heenan would manage Big Show, and Hart would manage Sheamus. And maybe Heenan would have been the ONLY manager to go through a table.

See, I can design my own scenarios, as well, to make a point, Tasty.

I've literally never had a convorsation with either Vince McMahon or a Ring of Honor fan. Wrestling was completely different then though. They used to have 3 hour matches in a successful product, but that wouldn't work now either. The way wrestling is presented is completely different now, and the product has to change to reflect that.

Never said all changes are bad. Changes are needed. But some changes are good, and others are not. I never saw anything written down anywhere that in order for WWE to be successful in it's evolution into the 21st century, that they had to get rid of managers. Do you?

Show me a company that has ever succesfully used and maintained a sizable manager roster whilst also presenting weekly television and you'll have a point.

Sure. WWF and WCW.
I'm saying that's why there are no managers, and there's a direct correlation between when companies give them up and when they get weekly television.

So because companies got weekly television, they had to get rid of managers? No, not following your logic, especially since WWE and WCW had managers in place for weekly television.

My ideas are based on factual premises like that, and yours are based on your own bias conjecture.

No, your ideas are also based on your own personal biases. Let's not kid ourselves here.

I've actually made a series of other points relating to the fact that managers are uneeded and the fact that they are a detriment to variety in the long term, try to keep up.

That's because it is an invalid point. Managers were used since the 80's and how were they detrimental to the talent then? They weren't.

The only way it would work in this way in the long term, without having repetition, is if managers only have one client.

One or two clients, I think is fine.

That's not practical for all wrestlers, and because its a one on one relationship, there needs to be a strong chemistry between them for the fans to buy it.

Nobody ever said that everyone should be assigned a manager.
There is literally no difference between William Regal appearing at ringside and supporting Kozlov on ECW and the position you are crying out for, except Regal has the added dynamic of actually being a threat to the opponent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I advocate William Regal as being a manager, above?

I'd agree with this, certainly, but I'm not sure it is really worth bringing back managers so that a 20 second rest hold is slightly more interesting, especially when a quality wrestler can do it without a manager.

Those quality wrestlers aren't there, and since the manager is more closely positioned to the fans at ringside, it makes it even more interesting. The manager can antagonize the crowd, and the crowd can antagonize the manager.

The crowd has some feeling of superiority over the manager, too, because they know in most cases they could actually beat the manager up in real life. Which is one of the key reasons why so many managers were picked on at ringside. That, and as I said, they are actually closer to the audience and gives the audience something else to watch, instead of always watching what is going on inside the ring.

Heyman won't happen either, keep dreaming... Again, the next great black and white minstrel is probably out there somewhere, but they no onger have a place in entertainment.

Well, I'm not holding my breath for Heyman either. But who says they have no place in Entertainment? You?

So Vince is the market leader, but he is also copying a third rate promotion for no real reason, and you don't think that is a contradiction.

Um, yeah. Just like how the Attitude Era came about with what Vince did with taking pointers from ECW, which was well-acknowledged.

Owned again, Tastycles.
Yeah, because ROH fans are just creaming over WWE aren't they.

ROH fans absolutely loved what the WWE did to its show the past two years. I've seen it with my own eyes on the forums I participated in.

But now, Vince is once again moving away from that stuff and has made some improvements. I just think he needs to keep doing a little more.

Unlike you, I don't find it necessary to ponder Vince McMahon's deepest thoughts, I just let him get on with it and make my opinion on it.

And that's understandable. Some people like being spoon fed and I understand that. I don't agree with it, at all. But I know it to be the case through their words.

Yes, Vince got in his time machine in 1997, went forward 5 years, found a promotion that half fills 600 seater arenas, copied their ideas, went back in time and implemented the changes. No. Vince was the pioneer because he was the first with weekly TV, which is the decisive factor, like I said. Are you going to be ignorant enough to suggest that Vince is influenced by anything that wasn't born until 5 years after he made the change?

Vince had people still at ringside in 1997. He was winding down on managers, though.

But again, I asked you if you think Vince essentially lives in a bubble and isn't influenced by anything else.

He was influenced by what ECW was doing, just like he was influenced by what ROH was doing, with a heavy ring-focused product as well.

Then, he started to see that this wasn't working with the audience, and I think he's still finding his way.

Bringing Bret Hart back was probably one of the best things he could have done, as this equates to more storyline.

It was. Look at the roster from 1989, and tell me there isn't the same number of people that people don't care about. Nobody cared about The Red Rooster, nobody cared about High Cheif Sivi Afi. I cannot be bothered to actually look for the roster, but if I did, we both know that there'd be plenty more where they came from.

Yeah, and having a manager like Bobby Heenan only helped the crowd to care about them, since he was established.

So in an era where every heel had a manager, you've come up with 5 people. I don't think Ted DiBiase had a manager in the traditional sense,

Virgil was a bodyguard, obviously. A lousy one. But they still made it work. He was more of a hired henchman. But Dibiase was managed by both Sensational Sherri and Jimmy Hart down the road.

Savage had Sherri, but she was basically a valet and the other three are pretty iconic, to of them becoming managers themselves.

Sherri actually was officially referred to as a manager on WWE television, though.

I would argue that Elizabeth was a valet, but Sherri was definitely actually called a manager on TV.

Nobody cares about Eric Escobar, who had the most hated figure in the WWE introduce him. If that isn't an indication about how wrong you are, I don't know what is.

Eric Escobar failed because it was reported that Vince was unhappy with his workrate and wanted him sent back down to OVW. That is why he isn't on TV anymore. Not because of Vickie. That is all behind the scenes stuff. A manager doesn't get a superstar instantly over with the audience. It still takes time. But they do help, because otherwise there would have been ZERO reaction at all for Escobar.

Great topic.

I think they should make guys who are not getting over ringside managers. One person that comes to mind is Chavo Guerrero. William Regal would also make sense. They would be two very successful heel managers. I see them leading tag teams more than singles wrestlers.

I also think that this would be a great fit for Bret Hart (assuming he can't wrestle). I see him leading a young singles wrestler to a WWE/World title run.

I should note that I always thought heel managers work better than face managers. The only face managers that work are the females. And truth be told, almost all of the Divas should be managers more so than wrestlers.

If anyone here doubts the value of a manger...then consider this scenario.

Sheamus became WWE Champion after a 'fluke' win at the TLC PPV. Everyone in the IWC is really unhappy because this guy, who was billed as a monster for 3 weeks (not nearly long enough), is already champion and keeps running away from fights with Cena. Sheamus became the most sudden contradiction in WWE history, switching from violent monster to cowardly heel with one title win. Obviously, the WWE doesn't want to give this match away just yet; they don't want to take the belt of Sheamus and they don't want to make Cena look weak. Their choice has been to give Sheamus a vagina.

Imagine now if Sheamus had a mouthpiece. An already established manager who helped elevate talent immediately like Bobby Heenan did in the past. Sheamus can win his title the same way, bringing the storyline of whether or not it was a fluke. If a manager was thrown in here, Sheamus can try to give him re-match almost on a weekly basis, only to have his manager keep pulling him back, not wanting to jeopardize his title winning investment. This makes Sheamus look strong, Cena look strong and the non-wrestler in the group can take all of the cowardly flack.

This is just one small example of what a manager can do to save the WWE. Without a manager we have a potential rising star turn into a rising dud and the WWE is still stuck with their stale superman.

As far as who should be a manager? I think the best candidate would be William Regal. The WWE has never, and seems like they will never, commit to Regal being a true competitor in their company, so why not turn him into a mega manager to the stars?

Like the Million Dollar Man's Million Dollar Corporation and The Heenan Family before him, Regal can head a Royal Court of talent. He is incredibly effective on the mic (as seen during his commissioner days) and great abilities in the ring, if they are called upon. Hell, he would be the perfect manager for the WWE's two biggest upstarts from nowhere, Sheamus and Drew McIntyre. His managerial rub would probably get both of these young guys over better than anything creative will end up doing with them and he would work perfectly in the John Cena scenario I presented above.

Abraham Washington could also be an excellent manager, or at least be more effective than as the host of a relatively pointless talk show. Piper's Pit was the only one that worked, yet they keep shoving these things down our throats. There is nothing accomplished on these shows that can't be done better in the ring (but that's what you get when most of your writers are Hollywood rejects who don't know shit about the biz).

I also agree that Taz would have made an amazing manager to the true athletes in Pro Wrestling. I still think TNA made a mistake by putting him at the announce booth instead of really managing Joe.

I also think it was a mistake for the WWE to let Armando Estrada go. He could have been a cool variation on the Million Dollar Man gimmick. He was a Latin Big Game Hunter of sorts, implying he had a lot of money and lived an extravagant lifestyle. This means he could have 'bought' the hottest free agent and really 'invested' his money into talents. He could have even had the 'Estrada' look that he made his clients conform to, sort of like the New York Yankees (doesn't everyone think Johnny Damon is a sell out for changing his appearance so dramatically to play for New York?). Imagine if someone like Cena aligned with Estrada and stopped sporting the jean shorts, but rather an Estrada approved attire. There would be incredible heat just because he sold out who he was for success.

I also believe valets have been a huge loss for the company. Remember how well Glamerella went until they weren't booked well. Or the lost potential of having Maria work in a valet/girlfriend role for Dolph Ziggler this summer. When reading the history of WrestleMania and SummerSlam threads, I was reminded of how some of our greatest women wrestlers of all time (Trish and Lita) started managing wrestlers and slowly got their feet wet as their own performer. If Maryse and the Bellas and Jillian work as managers, they might have more success in the womens divisions.

I think we may use managers as a too easy escape path. By that, I mean we too often say to ourselves "Wow, he can't speak worth shit. Turn him heel and give him a mouthpiece manager." It's supposed to make us sound smart, like we know how to book.

However, I argue that anyone worth a paycheck shouldn't need a manager to handle their speaking to the crowd. Except with notable exceptions, like the Great "I can't speak English" Khali, the good superstars don't need managers. We jump too quickly to saying stuff like:

Prima: Wow, did you see that new guy who debuted last night on Raw? He was good in the ring, but he completely sucked on the mic.

Secunda: I know, fuck giving him time to develop mic skills. Turn him heel and give him a mouthpiece manager.

It's too easy of a cop out. If one is arguing for managers simply because some shitty wrestlers can't speak on the mic, then that's just silly.

Now, managers for the sake of opening up storylines, that's a area of argument. But I won't go there. The WWE and TNA have more than handled themselves without a plethora of managers, and I don't see why they would need them now.

I think we may use managers as a too easy escape path. By that, I mean we too often say to ourselves "Wow, he can't speak worth shit. Turn him heel and give him a mouthpiece manager." It's supposed to make us sound smart, like we know how to book.

However, I argue that anyone worth a paycheck shouldn't need a manager to handle their speaking to the crowd. Except with notable exceptions, like the Great "I can't speak English" Khali, the good superstars don't need managers. We jump too quickly to saying stuff like:

Prima: Wow, did you see that new guy who debuted last night on Raw? He was good in the ring, but he completely sucked on the mic.

Secunda: I know, fuck giving him time to develop mic skills. Turn him heel and give him a mouthpiece manager.

It's too easy of a cop out. If one is arguing for managers simply because some shitty wrestlers can't speak on the mic, then that's just silly.

Now, managers for the sake of opening up storylines, that's a area of argument. But I won't go there. The WWE and TNA have more than handled themselves without a plethora of managers, and I don't see why they would need them now.

The part in Bold is the mentality that the smarks of today need to get themselves out of. Managers aren't there solely to get superstars over. That is a function they can serve for those who have difficulty getting over. But it isn't the absolute purpose they serve.

They are another character that is there to support the storylines and the wrestlers. Also, they are there as just another factor for the crowd to follow and interact with.

Their second major purpose is being at ringside to further the drama of a match that is going on.

I don't know where this mentality came along from the Internet that managers are only there to speak for guys that have trouble getting over, because that simply is untrue.

The absolute best talkers and some others who were fine on their own, still had managers in the past, which pretty much disproves that theory.

Randy Savage had Sherri
Honky Tonk Man had Jimmy Hart
Rick Rude had Bobby Heenan
Mr. Perfect had Bobby Heenan
Ric Flair had Senational Sherri in WCW
The Million Dollar Man had Sensational Sherri and Jimmy Hart at different points
Rick Martel had Slick at one point
Big Boss Man had Slick

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see WWE sign Larry Sweeney. Can you all imagine a "Sweet and Sour Inc." in WWE? Instead of Bobby Dempsey, though, they should bring back Big Daddy V.

BTW, to me and I'm sure most old-schoolers, the purpose of a manager was not to be the mouthpiece, but rather to compliment their talent and add to their standing.

Look at managers like Captain Lou Albano, Grand Wizard, Freddie Blassie, and others. They were often as colorful as their charges and was more a partner in crime than a manager.

Also, in certain cases, they were used to make talent human. Like Elizabeth. She hardly ever spoke but it was her actions and dedication to her man that won her over with the fans and later rubbed off on Savage. Savage was this boisterous and egotistical person, but he was protective of Elizabeth and genuinely cared for her. It proved everybody has a soft spot.

Managers were NEVER just mouthpieces. True, a great mouth is PART of the job description, but is NOT the main reason.

To me nowadays, there are no managers. Save for Sweeney and a few others from yesteryear still traveling the circuit, there are no managers. What you see are mouthpieces and valets. They are NOT managers!

1) First, I would like to hear your opinion on the Lost Art of Wrestling Managers. Should they be brought back? Why or Why Not? We've done this periodically, but I think it's time for another discussion. And this is a topic I am extremely passionate about, as Wrestling Managers and the characters they played were one of my biggest enjoyments out of wrestling as a kid. The entertainment they provided absolutely enhanced my wrestling experience as a kid.

Absolutely yes they should be brought back. They add something to the show during matches that even the wrestlers cannot do, and that is a voice. I mean if they are wrestling and you have got two wrestles with the charisma of paint drying, then the manager is just the right person to get the crowds rallied up and in some cases care about the matches. They are also great for storyline purposes too. I am going to use an example of mine that is a very fond personal memory of mine. Back in 2006 I went to my first wrestling show ever and it was WWE RAW Survivor Series. The main Event was DX and John Cena against Edge, Umaga and I think Randy Orton. It was like your usual TV match only with a better atmosphere. But it was not the wrestlers in the ring that were giving the crowd such a life, it was Umaga's manager Armando Estrada(apologies for my bad spelling). You have got 6 relativity speaking charismatic guys and yet the manager is the one who gets the crowd on their feet during the whole match using his voice and heel tactics. He made the match what it was.

2) The second part of this .... is that IF you agree that ringside managers need to make a return in WWE, then WHO should be the managers? For this, you basically have to design a roster of managers in the WWE ... (they don't have to be currently employed by WWE, however they have to be realistic choices ... in other words, they can't currently work for TNA) .... and give us an idea WHY you think they would make a valuable addition to the WWE Manager roster.

I said above that ringside managers should return to the WWE, so I am going to make a list of managers I feel would contribute good to the WWE and give reasons for them.

Matt Stricker- The guy may not have been much in the ring, but hey the guy can talk. He could be a great manager for a brash young cocky heel. Once Legacy breaks up, he could be a great manager for Cody Rhodes if he were to stay heel, just for some support till Rhodes could break away. Stickers talents are yet to be utilized in WWE and I feel he is not getting to show his potential as a commentator.

JBL(John Bradshaw Layfield)-Man, again, what a wrestler on the stick. He could deliver a serious promo and a funny promo. Another thing, what a commentator. He is one of the best commentators ever and if there was a young kid say Ted Di Biasisi Junior who could take his fathers gimmick. JBL, obviously with his money grabbing, self-centered gimmick could be a great dose of wrestling, talking and the great thing is they both share that one common interest, money. The great thing is, if handled properly, the guy can be a face or a heel. The only problem would be the younger audience remembering him.

Arimando Estrada(again sorry for spelling)- Again, another person who when he was with WWE just was not utilized properly. He went downhill when he began to wrestle on ECW, however that shows us that if he has to get physically involved in a match he can. There is not much I can say about the man on the mic that has not already been said, he is excellent. I feel that WWE had a missed opportunity with him and they should have kept him with Umaga during his tenure. He would also make a great General Manager even through he failed on ECW, correct me if I am wrong.

Vickie Guerrero- Now this is someone that if you want to get heel heat for a young heel, you put them with. This woman is, in my opinion, the greatest General Manager in history and it is due to the amount of heat that she can gather. Imagine if she were to go with a young heel and do some talking for him, she could utilize her talents fully and help put someone over at the same time and I am sure she would be willing to do it.

And these are the two most will disagree with me on but here goes...

Josh Mathews- I think I only speak for myself but this guy is actually pretty good. I feel he does a good job for WWE and should actually get some credit. See if they took him off TV for a couple of months and gave him a re-package, I feel he could do something with a stable or something as their voice.

Maria-Listen this is just an idea that can work if the unified tag titles stay. See if there was a pretty diva(example-Maria) that did not do any thing, but could talk on the mic, why not have her manage a heel tag team champions. It would add some eye candy to them and it could also make story lines more interesting by giving them someone who can help them cheat that is not a male. Because it adds to the authentic image.

I will split them up now.

RAW-Vickie Guerrero,JBL

SmackDown-Matt Stricker, Estrada

ECW-Josh Mathews

All three brands- Maria( through only an example)

I am totally in favor of ringside managers in WWE and I feel that this is a fantastic topic you brung up.

I don't think so. They shouldn't bring them back. Not even for people who can't talk. Why? They try to get them to be a wrestler and a manager. Remember Daivari? He was a pretty good manager. Heat magnet, good with interfering in matches at the right times. Then they started putting him in matches, trying to make him wrestle and fight and shit. That really bothers me. It's gotta be one or the other. I wouldn't mind it forreal, if they didn't do that. That's my only beef with managers today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back